Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,672 members, 7,820,359 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:36 PM

My Take On Lagos Parents Disapproval In Reopening Of Schools - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Take On Lagos Parents Disapproval In Reopening Of Schools (1090 Views)

FG Okays “Safe Reopening” Of Schools / No Reopening Of Schools For Now – Presidential Taskforce On COVID-19 / Don’t Reopen Schools Now, Lagos Parents Tell Govt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Take On Lagos Parents Disapproval In Reopening Of Schools by Nobody: 4:29pm On May 28, 2020
This is for the parents kicking strongly against tge reopening of schools. what exactly is their point? Is it to prevent the children from being exposed to the dreaded pandemic? Now, other sectors have been opened and fully operational (even though not round the week) but mind you, this same parents kicking against the reopening of schools expose themselves to crowded markets, offices (especially bank ATM points) and still come back home to the same wards they are trying to protect. What sense is there in all that. It only takes one exposed person to infect thousands of contacts if we are to go by the epileptic policy (of opening some sectors and not reopening some) and if this disease is still really that "widespread" according to popular beliefs. Take the case of a father who infected his entire family some months ago. Did the children go to any school?

Please let the educational sector also be reopened. Covid 19 has reduced to the bearest minimum and with the right precautionary measures in place, (like in 2014 Ebola crises) there won't be any rebound of the pandemic.

The teachers are the worst hit of this lockdown with no form of support or relief from the govt. If we all decide tomorrow to change career and quit teaching for good, then will people understand our importance and the need to always put us into consideration first before any other profession/als. Because we have been relegated to the shadows so much that some can no longer hold their heads high and proudly say they "i am a Teacher". I am a teacher and a proud one at that.

Without " Us" many of our parents won't attain the level of education they did today.
Without "Us" the parents and society at large will not be able to travel to the abroad independently and be able to get good jobs or even put in for further studies abroad.
They won't be here expressing their thoughts and feelings in black and white.

We are the medium to civilization. Without us, the world's future will be bleak and Ignorance will be the order of the day.
Caveman loading... Marginalization of this countrys citizens by the white man imminent.

Keep underrating the teachers. A time is coming.... Nuf said.

10 Likes

Re: My Take On Lagos Parents Disapproval In Reopening Of Schools by Froshloaded: 4:30pm On May 28, 2020
Hmm

You are right

But we no want resume abeg

1 Like

Re: My Take On Lagos Parents Disapproval In Reopening Of Schools by Nettybrown(m): 4:38pm On May 28, 2020
Very true.
Re: My Take On Lagos Parents Disapproval In Reopening Of Schools by Nobody: 4:39pm On May 28, 2020
Froshloaded:
Hmm

You are right

But we no want resume abeg

smiley.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Take On Lagos Parents Disapproval In Reopening Of Schools by kunlef1: 5:57pm On May 28, 2020
Unfortunately, you cannot compare offices or banks to schools, because adults can comply with physical distancing rules. It is only the people that do not value their lives or know the implications that mingle in crowded markets or public places. That is why online sales of of everything including foodstuff is booming now.

How can you prevent children-to-children or children-to-teachers contact in a nursery/primary school? How will you take care of an infected child in an isolation ward without parents?

I do not think the argument of teachers being affected most is right because entertainment industry is worse off. Most private schools are organisizing online classes , and parents are paying for it. So how are parents selfish? I think that is what you should advise your school owner to do, if they are not doing so already. Also, how many companies can operate at even half capacity with the current curfews and economic condition? Hence whether we like it or not, there is going to be reduced income and economic hardship for most people - parents and teachers alike.

Even if you open schools today, attendance will be very low, and teachers will still be laid off. It is only schools for children who are old enough to fully observe social distancing rules that can be opened, but it is not safe for nursery/primary schools for now.

Moreover, nobody has a right to criticize parents for protecting their children as it is their duty to do so. Government can go ahead and open the schools, but teachers will still not earn any income if students don't turn up.

3 Likes

Re: My Take On Lagos Parents Disapproval In Reopening Of Schools by astonished: 6:08pm On May 28, 2020
Those who are benefits from this SCAMdemic want the lockdown continue.

I go to market, crowd places, no one remember social distance.

to tell ourselves the truth, there is no Corona virus in Nigeria, but maleria.

If government & our military men can turned boko haram battle cash cow, how much of this.

the media are not helping matter, has they only broadcast what the fantastically corrupt government & NCDC feed them & create a panic

1 Like

Re: My Take On Lagos Parents Disapproval In Reopening Of Schools by Saintinoo(m): 6:27pm On May 28, 2020
Eulalia:
This is for the parents kicking strongly against tge reopening of schools. what exactly is their point? Is it to prevent the children from being exposed to the dreaded pandemic? Now, other sectors have been opened and fully operational (even though not round the week) but mind you, this same parents kicking against the reopening of schools expose themselves to crowded markets, offices (especially bank ATM points) and still come back home to the same wards they are trying to protect. What sense is there in all that. It only takes one exposed person to infect thousands of contacts if we are to go by the epileptic policy (of opening some sectors and not reopening some) and if this disease is still really that "widespread" according to popular beliefs. Take the case of a father who infected his entire family some months ago. Did the children go to any school?

Please let the educational sector also be reopened. Covid 19 has reduced to the bearest minimum and with the right precautionary measures in place, (like in 2014 Ebola crises) there won't be any rebound of the pandemic.

The teachers are the worst hit of this lockdown with no form of support or relief from the govt. If we all decide tomorrow to change career and quit teaching for good, then will people understand our importance and the need to always put us into consideration first before any other profession/als. Because we have been relegated to the shadows so much that some can no longer hold their heads high and proudly say they "i am a Teacher". I am a teacher and a proud one at that.

Without " Us" many of our parents won't attain the level of education they did today.
Without "Us" the parents and society at large will not be able to travel to the abroad independently and be able to get good jobs or even put in for further studies abroad.

We are the medium to civilization. Without us, the world's future will be bleak and Ignorance will be the order of the day.
Caveman loading... Marginalization of this countrys citizens by the white man imminent.

Well said, i still don't understand why we should open markets, offices, banks, worship centres and close schools.

I don't just get it.

1 Like

Re: My Take On Lagos Parents Disapproval In Reopening Of Schools by Saintinoo(m): 6:29pm On May 28, 2020
kunlef1:
Unfortunately, you cannot compare offices or banks to schools, because adults can comply with physical distancing rules. It is only the people that do not value their lives or know the implications that mingle in crowded markets or public places. That is why online sales of of everything including foodstuff is booming now.

How can you prevent children-to-children or children-to-teachers contact in a nursery/primary school? How will you take care of an infected child in an isolation ward without parents?

I do not think the argument of teachers being affected most is right because entertainment industry is worse off. Most private schools are organisizing online classes , and parents are paying for it. So how are parents selfish? I think that is what you should advise your school owner to do, if they are not doing so already. Also, how many companies can operate at even half capacity with the current curfews and economic condition? Hence whether we like it or not, there is going to be reduced income and economic hardship for most people - parents and teachers alike.

Even if you open schools today, attendance will be very low, and teachers will still be laid off. It is only schools for children who are old enough to fully observe social distancing rules that can be opened, but it is not safe for nursery/primary schools for now.

Moreover, nobody has a right to criticize parents for protecting their children as it is their duty to do so. Government can go ahead and open the schools, but teachers will still not earn any income if students don't turn up.
The point is this, after the day's work, you go back home and meet your kids.
What if you are infected, are they not at risk also?

1 Like

Re: My Take On Lagos Parents Disapproval In Reopening Of Schools by Nobody: 6:31pm On May 28, 2020
kunlef1:

Hello.... I'm not in anyway criticizing parents here. Only against those advocating for the continuous lockdown of schools. You can chose to hold back your wards, no one is forcing any parents to release them against their wish but let the schools be reopened and let the others who have a contrary opinion release their wards.

As for whether teachers would earn income or not, leave that to them to worry about because when the lockdown was still on all sectors, everyone was crying for an ease. Nobody spoke about the downside of it and effect it would have on the entire society. Now, Was it not because they liked to earn money?. Let's just stop being biased and hypocritical here. "What's good for the goose is also good for the gander."

1 Like

Re: My Take On Lagos Parents Disapproval In Reopening Of Schools by Nobody: 6:34pm On May 28, 2020
Saintinoo:

Well said, i still don't understand why we should open markets, offices, banks, worship centres and close schools.

I don't just get it.

Very irrational idea.
Re: My Take On Lagos Parents Disapproval In Reopening Of Schools by Nobody: 6:38pm On May 28, 2020
Saintinoo:

Leave all these hypocrites. I don't get the rational behind this whole idea.
Re: My Take On Lagos Parents Disapproval In Reopening Of Schools by Jokerman(m): 9:21pm On May 28, 2020
kunlef1:

You write up speaks for someone who lives in VI or Lekki, try living in Bariga, Ketu, Ojota, Mile 12, Okokomaiko etc, and see why we believe this coronavirus is a SCAMdemic in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: My Take On Lagos Parents Disapproval In Reopening Of Schools by Jokerman(m): 9:23pm On May 28, 2020
How ironic for a family of 6 who lives in face me, I face you in a ghetto like Bariga or Oworo, shouting Coronavirus angry

1 Like

Re: My Take On Lagos Parents Disapproval In Reopening Of Schools by amrichy(m): 10:21pm On May 28, 2020
If it is true that coronavirus does exist and spreads as rapidly as is claimed from person to person, then if schools are reopened without an effective vaccine or cure being found for the virus, the whole situation will become absolutely chaotic, "extra-pandemic" and totally intractable; almost everyone will become infected! There will be no remedy to the damage that such thoughtless and heedless decision would cause. In the end, no one would give a fvck about education—survival would be everyone's concern(nothing else will really matter when your life, your ONLY life, is being threatened). Is this what you want?
I'll advise you to think carefully, circumspectly and seriously about the various ramifications of this issue before you start advocating for schools to be reopened. Also, keep in mind that while education is admittedly valuable, safety is of paramount importance.

1 Like

Re: My Take On Lagos Parents Disapproval In Reopening Of Schools by Tohsynetita1: 11:27pm On May 28, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAGuoVgM1co
In case you have junior who has been having issues in getting or solving lautech post utme math questions, one is available for such person.
Re: My Take On Lagos Parents Disapproval In Reopening Of Schools by Beedude(m): 5:46am On May 29, 2020
Saintinoo:

Now imagine a person infect his child, and the child attends a public school with nothing less than 50 pupils in a class. The spread continues. Its a tricky situation. Private school can cope with guidelines easily but Public can't. Only God can help us
Re: My Take On Lagos Parents Disapproval In Reopening Of Schools by femi4: 6:40am On May 29, 2020
Eulalia:

Do you have a child? I doubt!
Re: My Take On Lagos Parents Disapproval In Reopening Of Schools by Dantedasz(m): 8:24am On May 29, 2020
Eulalia:

Quoted for future reference.
Re: My Take On Lagos Parents Disapproval In Reopening Of Schools by kunlef1: 8:30am On May 29, 2020
Saintinoo:

My point is that as an adult, you have better control of your actions. Since you asked me, I have been working from both home and office since end of lockdown to minimise my exposure to other people, by doing as much as possible online. If my employer had insisted in my coming in daily, I would resign from the job. No employment is worth my life or that of my family. I have also avoided going to the market, by buying almost everything online and neighbourhood stalls.

So, I have taken practical action to avoid getting infected, and the main reason is to protect my family. The people who choose to live carelessly and mingle in crowded areas are free to believe in the existence of COVID 19 or not. Also, most private schools are teaching online now, so children are still learning. Also, since parents get home earlier now, they can help out with school works. I was already teaching my kids during the lockdown even before the school started. Public schools are far too overcrowded, and safety is unlikely to be paramount.

I still think that what teachers should be advocating for is empowerment to be able to teach online through training, internet, laptops, etc. This is even more stress for parents, but we are not in normal times.

The countries that have opened schools have MASSIVE testing in place and gave been able to isolate the disease clusters. They also have reliable data yo work with. Can you say the same about Nigeria? For every disease, there will always be an effective way to manage it, either through vaccination or drugs.

Is the teacher's concern to meet with students or teach them? Teaching does not have to be always physical, just as many businesses too have realised now.

I will gladly continue to pay for my children to continue to learn online rather than put them in harm's way. Government can also do the same for public schools.

For those living in face me I face you, they are mosrly not in areas where COVID 19 is prevalent. That is why correct data is important so that government can effectively quarantine affected areas only, while life can continue in others. Many areas of Lagos has very minimal number of cases, which is why we are still relatively safe.
Re: My Take On Lagos Parents Disapproval In Reopening Of Schools by dalass(f): 6:00pm On May 29, 2020
I don't know if kids are not mixing freely with everyone already. Some parents who are kicking against reopening schools are probably government teachers whose salaries continue to roll in even when they are not in school.

They don't understand all the economic activities of mullions grounded e.g transporters, food and drink sellers, stationery sellers, snack sellers, private school teachers and many non teaching staff of private schools, market people selling other necessities, even tailors to mention but a few cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Take On Lagos Parents Disapproval In Reopening Of Schools by Nobody: 6:06pm On May 29, 2020
dalass:
I don't know if kids are not mixing freely with everyone already. Some parents who are kicking against reopening schools are probably government teachers whose salaries continue to roll in even when they are not in school.

They don't understand all the economic activities of mullions grounded e.g transporters, food and drink sellers, stationery sellers, snack sellers, private school teachers and many non teaching staff of private schools, market people selling other necessities, even tailors to mention but a few cool

Exactly.
As long as they are comfortable and the salaries keep rolling in, every other person can rot in the lockdown.

My take still stands. Schools must be reopened.

1 Like

Re: My Take On Lagos Parents Disapproval In Reopening Of Schools by edoairways: 6:37pm On May 29, 2020
kunlef1:

China that had the highest case has resumed economic activities so why shouldn't we ?
Re: My Take On Lagos Parents Disapproval In Reopening Of Schools by dalass(f): 6:45pm On May 29, 2020
Eulalia:

Exactly.
As long as they are comfortable and the salaries keep rolling in, every other person can rot in the lockdown.

My take still stands. Schools must be reopened.

Correct... From primary all the way to tertiary schools...
Re: My Take On Lagos Parents Disapproval In Reopening Of Schools by Nobody: 6:47pm On May 29, 2020
dalass:

Correct... From primary all the way to tertiary schools...

Yes. Including the Universities.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

ASUU Vows To Continue Strike If FG Fails To Met Its Demands / Studying Psychology..... / I'm Beginning To Suspect Reuben Abati

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.