Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,117 members, 7,814,919 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group (1554 Views)

Burnt Police Post In Oregun, Lagos After Mob Attack (Video) / Peter Obi's Achievements And Policies When He Was Governor- Oxford Business 2012 / The Driving Force Behind Nigeria’s Energy Renaissance By Oxford Business Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by Anambra1stSon(m): 10:41am On May 29, 2020
ONITSHA: The trading hub of Onitsha, with the Onitsha River Port Complex, has strong trade links with other parts of the country and with many foreign countries; its market is described as one of the largest in West Africa. Onitsha is a key vector in Anambra’s industrial development plans. An established commercial centre, Onitsha is the main hub for goods coming upstream from the Niger River delta and those transported downstream from towns on the Niger and Benue rivers.

Arguably one of the largest commercial nerve centres in Africa, linking the West African hinterland with Europe and Americas since the 1600s, it has been an international trading centre for almost 200 years. Onitsha became a British trading post in the 18th century, acting as a link between commodities coming from the northern part of West Africa and Niger River hinterland. The city also played host to the Portuguese and Dutch. Today, it still boasts its nationwide reach. Roads connect the city to nearby urban centres Enugu, Owerri and Asaba linking it all way through Benin City to Lagos in the south-west. Its strategic position between the country’s East and West has made it the second-biggest trading centre in the country, after Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by kayfra: 10:43am On May 29, 2020
Orisha (Onitsha) has Edo and Yoruba influence. That's what saved it from the usual abject poverty in the SE

Thank us for being not so abysmal

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by leicestercamper: 10:48am On May 29, 2020
Ok. Cool
Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by Anambra1stSon(m): 10:49am On May 29, 2020
[s]
kayfra:
Orisha (Onitsha) has Edo and Yoruba influence. That's what saved it from the usual abject poverty in the SE

[/s]
Dumbo

6 Likes

Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by Anambra1stSon(m): 10:50am On May 29, 2020
kayfra:

Can you mention one property own by Edo man or Yoruba man in Onitsha

4 Likes

Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by kayfra: 10:52am On May 29, 2020
post=90080774:
[s][/s]
Dumbo

Learn your history

Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by Oksman(m): 10:53am On May 29, 2020
kayfra:

Silence is most time golden! What a stupid FTC.

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by kayfra: 10:54am On May 29, 2020
post=90080818:

You can ask Oranmiyan's dynasty that controls the ruling house. The Oba (Obi) title is unique in Igbo land. It doesn't have Igbo origin and you all know it

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by mangoat833: 11:01am On May 29, 2020
kayfra:

Afonja pig grin keep been a fool on a faceless forum,meanwhile according to your lazy and poor afonja brothers who are wailing all over social media, Igbo's are now buying up the entire Southwest. While your broke afonja ass could only wish you can afford a plot of land in Onitsha, Yeebos are already converting Ekiti and other SW states into Igbo territory with real money grin

4 Likes

Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by kayfra: 11:11am On May 29, 2020
mangoat833:

Afonja pig grin keep been a fool on a faceless forum,meanwhile according to your lazy and poor afonja brothers who are wailing all over social media, Igbo's are now buying up the entire Southwest. While your broke afonja ass could only wish you can afford a plot of land in Onitsha, Yeebos are already converting Ekiti and other SW states into Igbo territory with real money grin

You are the poorest tribe in the South but you are also entitled to dream.

I won't come in the way of your dreams but I'll remind you of the extreme poverty back Yeast grin
Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by mangoat833: 11:14am On May 29, 2020
kayfra:

I won't come in the way of your dreams but I'll remind you of the extreme poverty back Yeast grin
Poor man wey dey buy your papa house? e remain to commit suicide niyen wink grin. NBS fake IGR stats still hasn't and will never stop Yeebos from buying up your region, poor man dey buy up rich man's property... paradox of all time grin

4 Likes

Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by kayfra: 11:18am On May 29, 2020
mangoat833:

Poor man wey dey buy your papa house? e remain to commit suicide niyen wink grin. NBS fake IGR stats still hasn't and will never stop Yeebos from buying up your region, poor man dey buy up rich man's property... paradox of all time grin

Do you need me to remind you of your poverty status in the south? grin

Audio developer grin
Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by mangoat833: 11:23am On May 29, 2020
kayfra:

Do you need me to remind you of your poverty status in the south? grin

Audio developer grin
Igbos buying up your lands ACCORDING to your poor lazy brothers, Hausa/Fulani controlling your ports etc kai! It must suck to be an Afonja right now grin cheesy cheesy

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by kayfra: 11:25am On May 29, 2020
mangoat833:

Igbos buying up your lands ACCORDING to your poor lazy brothers, Hausa/Fulani controlling your ports etc kai! It must suck to be an Afonja right now grin cheesy cheesy

I like the alternate universe. It cures depression

If you can'twin in life, make up your own reality. I like thatgrin
Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by mangoat833: 11:25am On May 29, 2020
kayfra:

At least some of your brothers still have sense grin grin cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by kayfra: 11:27am On May 29, 2020
mangoat833:

At least some of your brothers still have sense grin grin cheesy

Wake up. You are poor cheesy
Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by mangoat833: 11:28am On May 29, 2020
kayfra:

If the people that are poor according to your NBS are the same people your brothers are wailing online about buying up your lands upandan, don't you think something is fundamentally wrong either with the stats or perhaps afonja people in general? why would you allow poor people even buy your lands like say tomorrow no dey...it's an affront to the rich Yoruba race, except something doesn't quite add up grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by mangoat833: 11:29am On May 29, 2020
kayfra:

Wake up. You are poor cheesy
Ok oooo grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by kayfra: 11:33am On May 29, 2020
mangoat833:

If the people that are poor according to your NBS are the same people your brothers are wailing online about buying up your lands upandan, don't you think something is fundamentally wrong either with the stats or perhaps afonja people in general? why would you allow poor people even buy your lands like say tomorrow no dey...it's an affront to the rich Yoruba race, except something doesn't quite add up grin

Have you gotten your ration from the resource rich Yorubas today?

I am happy. One more SEner didn't worsen the poverty statistics of Igboland today

Are you ftom Enugu, Abia or Ebonyi? I want to know how to categorize your poverty situation. What was the first Bridge you slept under when you migrated westside?

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by ahaz: 11:39am On May 29, 2020
post=90080818:

leave the Yoruba goat..he wants to deril the thread

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by kayfra: 11:41am On May 29, 2020
ahaz:
leave the Yoruba goat..he wants to deril the thread

Derail

Thank me grin
Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by ahaz: 11:42am On May 29, 2020
kayfra:

Learn your history
they have come with another fake search engine...abeg abayomi wetin be this one name, na Wikipedia abi na Google for advanced afonja studies?
.oga park well you can't fool us here biko
Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by mangoat833: 11:43am On May 29, 2020
kayfra:

[s]Have you gotten your ration from the resource rich Yorubas today?

I am happy. One more SEner didn't worsen the poverty statistics of Igboland today

Are you ftom Enugu, Abia or Ebonyi? I want to know how to categorize your poverty situation. What was the first Bridge you slept under when you migrated westside[/s]?
Awww at least Adeshewa has sense like a few Afonja's, "Shinedu" must be servicing her really well cheesy wink cheesy wink

Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by kayfra: 11:44am On May 29, 2020
ahaz:
they have come with another fake search engine...abeg abayomi wetin be this one name, na Wikipedia abi na Google for advanced afonja studies?

You tell me how the Onitsha ruling house doesn't have strong Edo progeny? Explain it to the public
Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by Easternsun2020: 11:45am On May 29, 2020
I'm here to see shildren of the fallen demon in the waste side cry themselves to sleep.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by kayfra: 11:45am On May 29, 2020
mangoat833:

Awww at least Adeshewa has sense like a few Afonja's, "Shinedu" must be servicing her really well cheesy wink cheesy wink

Obinna. Go and sit down jo grin
Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by mangoat833: 11:45am On May 29, 2020
ahaz:
I'm ready for the afonja ape, since he wants to act like a typical afonja pig, I'll grovel in the mud with him cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by ahaz: 11:45am On May 29, 2020
mangoat833:

The guy is sick,Yoruba's are very sick clowns
Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by jimyjames(m): 11:46am On May 29, 2020
kayfra:

You can ask Oranmiyan's dynasty that controls the ruling house. The Oba (Obi) title is unique in Igbo land. It doesn't have Igbo origin and you all know it

Chima an Igbo man who became a chief in the bini kingdom left some influence of Igbo in the Bini kingdom and went away with bini influence too , so its 50/50
Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by ahaz: 11:47am On May 29, 2020
kayfra:

Have you gotten your ration from the resource rich Yorubas today?

Are you ftom Enugu, Abia or Ebonyi? I want to know how to categorize your poverty situation. What was the first Bridge you slept under when you migrated westside?
afonja you are hungry
Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by kayfra: 11:47am On May 29, 2020
jimyjames:

Chima an Igbo man who became a chief in the bini kingdom left some influence of Igbo in the Bini kingdom and went away with bini influence too , so its 50/50

Chima is an Edo prince from all credible historical accounts. Did he become an Igbo citizen after leaving Edo. Yes.

But he is Edo in the lineage of Eweka and Oranmiyan. Argue with your ancestors
Re: Onitsha Became A British Trading Post In The 18th Century-oxford Business Group by OFFICIAL336: 11:50am On May 29, 2020
kayfra:

You are the richest yet you dominate the social register of the most vulnerable persons in the south

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ondo: ex-deputy N'assembly clerk joins race / Video! Tolulope Arotile's Life Inspired Me To Be Great- ( 5 yrs old Chimamanda ) / MURIC Issues Strong Warning To Oduduwa Republic Agitators

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.