Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,548 members, 7,819,944 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:11 AM

Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? (46940 Views)

Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? / Can I Resign In The Bank And Concentrate With The POS Business / Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by osazsky(m): 10:22pm On Jun 01, 2020
tosinntoyin:
Dear all,

I really need an advice. I currently work with one of the Nigerian banks. My monthly take home is about 450k and quite good. My major problem right now is that I have just been transferred from a Branch at one end of Lagos to another end of Lagos. All efforts to convince my boss to deploy me to a closer branch has proved abortive.

Going to work daily right now is a very difficult especially during this raining season and covid 19th period. I spend roughly 3-4 hours on the road when going to work and back home.

I am currently raising my kids on my own right now and dont know how I would manage when school resumes. Before now I drop them off on my way to work in the morning and my friend picks them up to her house in the afternoon till I get back.

I currently have a savings of 2million and would love to start a biz( I dont know what kind) as am comptemplating resigning and start a biz instead so that I can have time for my kids and not die due to stress

Please i really need advice for you all.
village people don finally pik..it will end in tears...wat is in 3hrs journey..we way dey trek almost 2 hrs everyday then to newbenin were I work then like 2 decades ago..oga u dont have a prob..u nerver see hardship

6 Likes

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by flexindino(m): 10:22pm On Jun 01, 2020
if u like
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jun 01, 2020
Key word is 'good job'. I sympathize with you but don't resign. Think deeply, you'll find a way out. Relatives, friends etc reach out. You can't do it alone. Best of luck
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by namo77: 10:23pm On Jun 01, 2020
Village people at work..... Better take that money and run to Canada
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by Crochet: 10:23pm On Jun 01, 2020
Don't quit but you can start a side biz
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by mondbest(m): 10:24pm On Jun 01, 2020
Best advice so far, God bless you man

FivePeas:
I think you're being too hasty and would appeal to you not to make a hasty decision that will cause you damage because you sound like someone who's about to react ( from negative reactions ) rather than someone who's about to embark on a well planned action. There's a difference. Trust me I know.

I qualify to give you sound counsel as a business operator and would like to discredit any thoughts of you quitting you job because of your savings.

Let's take it step by step

1. Financial security is important. Can you reduce your monthly expenses and boost your savings so you can save let's say 300k monthly, which in six months gives you an approximate of another 2 Million Naira

2. Start the process of setting up a business while you're still employed. This way you can weigh the options if it's for you or not. And can easily convert your salaries towards the establishment of the business

3. Do not quit your job until you've had a well to Houghton out business plan and have put it into effect. Remember money is just half the equation, the other half the business

4. Be more tolerant rather than being irritated because things aren't working for you from a place of convenience. Start thinking positive thoughts about the positives of your job. I'm sure it can't be all negative. Whatever it's costing you, give yourself the opportunity to reflect and tell yourself giving it six more months for proper planning won't do you harm

5. Get a second accommodation closer to work. So you can shuttle between both ends. Friday home till Sunday. Have you considered this?
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by tsmith(f): 10:24pm On Jun 01, 2020
tosinntoyin:
Dear all,

I really need an advice. I currently work with one of the Nigerian banks. My monthly take home is about 450k and quite good. My major problem right now is that I have just been transferred from a Branch at one end of Lagos to another end of Lagos. All efforts to convince my boss to deploy me to a closer branch has proved abortive.

Going to work daily right now is a very difficult especially during this raining season and covid 19th period. I spend roughly 3-4 hours on the road when going to work and back home.

I am currently raising my kids on my own right now and dont know how I would manage when school resumes. Before now I drop them off on my way to work in the morning and my friend picks them up to her house in the afternoon till I get back.

I currently have a savings of 2million and would love to start a biz( I dont know what kind) as am comptemplating resigning and start a biz instead so that I can have time for my kids and not die due to stress

Try and renegotiate with your boss or a higher line manager about the obvious constraints the relocation would have on you. Perhaps you could even ask for some time extension before resuming @ new office (3-6 months) this would give you time to strategise, perhaps arrange alternative childcare arrangements that ensures kids safety or even try and test new hustle before taking the dive. With all you do, save hard. Just 2m with a 450k salary isn't great. Unless of course the bulk of your money is saved in assets that you can easily liquidate. This experience should teach you that change can happen suddenly, unannounced and unplanned.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by ericmor: 10:25pm On Jun 01, 2020
Must you people always quit job before starting business? If business fail after you’ve quit job what will you do? Use the job to help your business and when business is well set up, you can then leave your job and fully face the business. Everything is step by step

3 Likes

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by Abdogood(m): 10:27pm On Jun 01, 2020
Get a help from a reliable agent. Keep you job for now and raise more money. You will need it in the nearest future.
Starting up a business in NG no easy at all it is better said than done.

Save enough n carry ur kids n relocate best option.

Go n get house help joor. A reliable one ooo.

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by Enwhen(m): 10:27pm On Jun 01, 2020
tosinntoyin:
Dear all,

Please , 2milli is small ...biz is not easy now , still work and save more , so when u finally leaves starts a biz, u have a savings for urself and kids cos new biz is 50-50... Biz is not a boom always mostly at the onset...pls still manage , with time , u will get use to the distance , it is always stressful at the beginning , but with time , u will get use to it...because with 2milli biz , it's a big risk...mostly because of your kids ...don't make that mistake by leaving now in this pandemic.
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by Ibkay32(m): 10:28pm On Jun 01, 2020
If you need someone who can help you look after when you go work with good pay am at your service, am also a graduate looking good job but all effort to see one failed, you can reach through08134819237
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by Frankicent(m): 10:28pm On Jun 01, 2020
tosinntoyin:
Dear all,

Madam! don't tell you don't know what business to start with 2M. You should seek advice from professional. Because, here on NL many with greedy eye will trick you.

2: You spend just 3-4 hours on the road and you complaining. Lwkmd. Go and ask people from ikorodu, agege and the likes. You better get used to it.

3: Don't tell it's because of this stress you want to quit a 450k monthly Job...

4: Don't quit your job, because most businesses fold within the first two years. Work and do the business together .

5: Alternative, since business will take more cash like Rental, advert, staffs, software's, promotion, incentive and many more. Why not split the cash. Invest 1M on something else and start your business with 1M. Just incase. Remember the two eggs quote.

6: about your kids get a slibing to babysit your kids. Pay them well. They will do a good job..

4 Likes

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by Geophilip: 10:29pm On Jun 01, 2020
OgogoroFreak:
If you can be bathing my Rottweilers once in a week. I can pay you 30k monthly till you find a better paying job.
thanks for your concern to give me a job, I know a friend who would have gladly accepted the job, but isn't in Lagos.
for me I'm not good with dogs...
but if there is any other job opportunity I will be very much interested.
thanks.
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by golddare: 10:29pm On Jun 01, 2020
tosinntoyin:
Dear all,

Continue your work o, 2M is a " small " money o, dont be deceived, keep saving till you have a better plan.
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by donMIG(m): 10:30pm On Jun 01, 2020
My brother how much is two million?
No allow devil use u!
Ur monthly pay is 400k plus
Hahahaha n u have it in mind to quit?
I laff ooo
U must have inhale mumuness into ur goddamn head!
Infact I'm sorry to say this
U dei maddddd
U dei madddddddddd
U dei craze!
No mind me e pain me say I dei grind mad n I no get reach that amount n I no still quit the job I dei do!

Honestly
U for work oo
No allow devil use u

But again na naija sometimes gambles dei pay
Bad bad quit make me, my friend, my brother make we get job ooooooo

2 Likes

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by Kido90(m): 10:31pm On Jun 01, 2020
I will speak from my perspective as a Business Man.
I was earning far more than you as at the tine I resigned into business.

I had much more than 2m also when I started my business. Maybe times 8..

But, you know what, going into business will not change the challenges you highlighted. You will still have to deal with traffic. You will still have to go out for meetings and marketing. So, you will still leave the kids behind.

Nigeria business environment is such that you need to do volume to increase your RETURNS. and there you will supply or execute a project, those guys won't pay or delay payments for upto 90days. And you have bills to pay during this period. I have many invoices of over 1yr6months still not paid.

Best option for you, is have a long term exit plan.

The same way you were transferred is the same way another transfer will come or another Boss who will understand your situation will come. No condition is permanent they say.

6 Likes

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by nextstep(m): 10:31pm On Jun 01, 2020
tosinntoyin:
Dear all,

Two things:
1. You will not have more time for your kids if you start a business. A business requires your attention more than your commute to work.
2. I'd also wager that you will not be able to recoup enough to repay your salary over the next six months to one year.

I'd say keep your job, and hold on to your savings (try to get some interest, so put it into fixed deposits or something). You need to have cash in case something comes up, especially since you have young children.

I understand spending 4 hours on the road is something else, but I can't imagine any business that will be less stressful. You will have a workable solution when school starts, for sure.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by ULSHERLAN(m): 10:31pm On Jun 01, 2020
Sisijetue:
Thank God you realize money is not everything...your kids are importanter. Why not get a skill first or what do you think?

Money will give those kids the kind of good life and quality time they need
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by peculiar2021(m): 10:31pm On Jun 01, 2020
For the meantime, start something no matter how difficult it may be at this time.
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by Amaao: 10:32pm On Jun 01, 2020
[Hello...Pls get a Nanny and save more and start planning yourself before quitting your job. anquote author=FivePeas post=90178421]I think you're being too hasty and would appeal to you not to make a hasty decision that will cause you damage because you sound like someone who's about to react ( from negative reactions ) rather than someone who's about to embark on a well planned action. There's a difference. Trust me I know.

I qualify to give you sound counsel as a business operator and would like to discredit any thoughts of you quitting you job because of your savings.

Let's take it step by step

1. Financial security is important. Can you reduce your monthly expenses and boost your savings so you can save let's say 300k monthly, which in six months gives you an approximate of another 2 Million Naira

2. Start the process of setting up a business while you're still employed. This way you can weigh the options if it's for you or not. And can easily convert your salaries towards the establishment of the business

3. Do not quit your job until you've had a well to Houghton out business plan and have put it into effect. Remember money is just half the equation, the other half the business

4. Be more tolerant rather than being irritated because things aren't working for you from a place of convenience. Start thinking positive thoughts about the positives of your job. I'm sure it can't be all negative. Whatever it's costing you, give yourself the opportunity to reflect and tell yourself giving it six more months for proper planning won't do you harm

5. Get a second accommodation closer to work. So you can shuttle between both ends. Friday home till Sunday. Have you considered this? [/quote]

1 Like

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by KelechukwuB: 10:36pm On Jun 01, 2020
OP is lying �
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jun 01, 2020
You better stay in your job till you know what you want. It seems like if your wife has not been nagging the devil out of your destiny.
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by Hotguy27: 10:37pm On Jun 01, 2020
N2m is too small for you to consider quitting such a job.
When you save up to N10m you can quit without telling us.

I will advise you to choose one or more of the following options:

1. Relocate nearer to the branch

2. Hire a driver you can pay like 50k a month and cut many other unnecessary expenses.

3. Get a trusted relative to stay with you.

4. If you are a woman, just try to manage the new branch and make effort to convince your higher line supervisor to help you secure another transfer even without allowance back to a better location.

5. Do not resign just because of this. Before a big blessing there must be a huddle to cross.

6. If you must resign to start a business, ensure you have a fat savings. The condition at which you want to leave may look golden if the business eventually goes wrong and no cash again.

7. Do not resign now.

Thank me later

3 Likes

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by sisqology(m): 10:37pm On Jun 01, 2020
you are rich o
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by CloudResident(m): 10:38pm On Jun 01, 2020
Prepare for retirement by starting your business now!
Laslas you go quit the job nooni.
You resign or dem either retrench or retire you.
The 3Rs..
Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by Impostor: 10:40pm On Jun 01, 2020
Please listen to my advice. I take God beg you, don't quit a 450k job because of ordinary 2million naira savings. I de beg you my sister o. Abeg don't do it. In Nigeria of today that has been bastardized by these politicians, 2 million naira is NOTHING, trust me. It won't go far, you need that steady income.

As a Nigerian, you can't tell me you don't have one poor Aunty/cousin/grandma sister that has a daughter. EVERY NIGERIAN, have a poor relative somewhere that you can take their teenage daughter to come and live with you so that she can help with the children. Not house girl o, a relative. Move house closer to your work, if possible. If your rent is not due in your current place, you can continue the journey for a while until your boss have mercy, if he doesn't, move closer to the new office.

Please I am begging you, don't quit your job. I don't earn that much but I have been able to achieve a lot cos of my regular job/earning by God's grace. I have done many businesses that failed in the past. Right now, I am building another business that will succeed, when it does, I will then leave my job to concentrate on the business but not before the business is strong enough. But suddenly quiting a job for business is not a good idea, you have to build the business while in your job. The business environment in Nigeria require you to have other sources of income until it is strong enough. Please don't quit.

tosinntoyin:
Dear all,

3 Likes

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by Blackmann001: 10:41pm On Jun 01, 2020
[quote author=spinna post=90178873]keep the job and use salary to start and boost the business..buy and read Kiyosaki's 'before you quit your job..

however starting a biz wont reduce your stress which seems to be ur main issue. for that i would advice you relocate to be near your new office..your biz should also be in that axis[/quote
]

In Nigeria, everybody is a thief... If u start a biz without physically being there daily to run it.. It manager will ruin u... Don't start a biz till u hv time....... Everyone, I repeat everyone in Nigeria is a thief...

2 Likes

Re: Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? by Naso007: 10:43pm On Jun 01, 2020
tosinntoyin:
Dear all,

Make I settle your matter for you right away.

You no need any advice.
You just wanted tell us or show off say you dey earn almost half a million monthly for this present buhari season two wey hard pass dangote expired cement.

How much be two million?
How much for shop where better customers dey?

No new business go fit give you half of your present salary for a whole year.

You better take the advice from the first guy that comment plus this my own.

I hereby advice you to continue to dey enjoying your juicy salary and jejely go to your bank and withdrawn the whole two million naira wey dey waste there go invest the two million for MBA Forex while you enjoy another #300,000 (15%) monthly.

450,000+300,000=750,000 monthly.

Come and thank me later.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ofodile Nkemdilim, The Only Female Air Force Team That Designed Tsaigumi UAV / 7 Side Hustling You Can Do As A Salary Earner / Meet Kabiru Salawu: A Nigerian Photographer Using His Photos To Tell Stories

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.