Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,729 members, 7,816,997 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:34 PM

What Movie Did You Watch Today? - TV/Movies (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Did You Watch Today? (33958 Views)

Top 10 Movies On Netflix To Watch Today – March 27, 2022 - Tolu Olulana / Guys Which Movie Did You Watched And Got Addicted To In This Lockdown / What Movie Are You Searching For? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by Ishilove: 11:37pm On Jun 25, 2020
RayMcBlue:
The Island (2005)
Genre: Action, Sci-fi, Thriller

The Island is a fast-paced, and suspense filled thriller set in a dystopian future, with a theme revealing the danger of excesses.

The story is about clones that are secretly housed in a facility far removed from the outside world, and are kept under control with lies, and intimidation.

It's a typical Michael Bay film, so the cinematography is very appealing. The pacing is taut. The action scenes are well done, and stylish. Evan McGregor, Scarlett Johansson did their bits very well, esp McGregor. The Brit is the the standout performer in my books - loved the scene where he switched seamlessly from American accent to British accent, and back to American accent. ScarJo and Sean Bean are immense, but my runner-up MVP goes to Steve Buscemi. He didn't get a lot of screen time, but the few times he's on screen, he ruled.

The film isn't all sunshine and rainbows, it has it's shortcomings as well. For instance, the editing could be better. In addition, it lacks much needed expository content that would have made the plot line much more coherent. Likewise, the inability to expound on the uniqueness of Lincoln Six-Echo kinda undermined the general efforts of the protagonist.

In conclusion, it's not a masterpiece, but if you need a diversion to kill the time with, this is it.

Tempting grin
Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by RayMcBlue(m): 9:19am On Jun 26, 2020
Ishilove:

Tempting grin

The film is strangely beautiful. If mindless pleasure is what you're going for, you're in for a treat.
Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by RayMcBlue(m): 9:23am On Jun 26, 2020
Breakdown (1997)
Genre: Mystery, Crime, Drama, Thriller

Breakdown is a 1997 thriller, starring Kurt Russel, J. T. Walsh, and Kathleen Quinlan. Jonathan Mostow co-wrote, and directed the film.

It's a tautly-paced mystery/drama about a man that got tricked into separating from his spouse during a cross-country journey, and resorted to desperate ventures to get her back.

The cinematography is one of the best things about this film. The beautiful Utah mountain unfolds against a backdrop of a rocky desert, creating the impression of a wilderness. This is particularly relevant as the wilderness settings contributed immensely to the theme of the storyline.

Kurt Russell gave one hell of compelling performance, and owes a large part of it to amazing chemistry he shared with his opposite number, J.T. Walsh. They played off well against each other - Kurt Russell, the harried spouse, and J.T. Walsh, the nonchalant villain. The script is tautly scripted, and crafted to keep the audience intrigued for a long stretch. Kathleen Quinlan aced her limited role. Likewise, the rest of the supporting cast were stellar in their respective roles.

My gripe about the film is not much. There are plot holes here and there, but aren't very disruptive, overall.

In conclusion, it's a well scripted, and evenly-paced mystery thriller that will make you reevaluate hitching a ride with strangers.

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by Ishilove: 12:22pm On Jun 26, 2020
RayMcBlue:

The film is strangely beautiful. If mindless pleasure is what you're going for, you're in for a treat.
So in other words suspend logic and just enjoy it smiley
Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by Ishilove: 12:29pm On Jun 26, 2020
A Gentleman-

Hindi comedy/action movie with an incredibly handsome lead. Why is it that all the Indian men, even the young ones in my vicinity are very ordinary and plain looking, but the ones in the movies are always so drop dead gorgeous?? undecided Someone should do a research on this end time deception.

Anyway, it's about a guy who is very boring and ordinary in all aspects, a perfect gentleman, but when his past catches up with him, his peaceful, stable life turns upside down.

Hilarious, action packed and very interesting. The story is set in Miami and Mumbai, but the language is Hindi so you need to download the sub.
Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by RayMcBlue(m): 1:35pm On Jun 26, 2020
Ishilove:

So in other words suspend logic and just enjoy it smiley

Yes.
Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by RayMcBlue(m): 1:37pm On Jun 26, 2020
Ishilove:
A Gentleman-

Hindi comedy/action movie with an incredibly handsome lead. Why is it that all the Indian men, even the young ones in my vicinity are very ordinary and plain looking, but the ones in the movies are always so drop dead gorgeous?? undecided Someone should do a research on this end time deception.

Anyway, it's about a guy who is very boring and ordinary in all aspects, a perfect gentleman, but when his past catches up with him, his peaceful, stable life turns upside down.

Hilarious, action packed and very interesting. The story is set in Miami and Mumbai, but the language is Hindi so you need to download the sub.

Lolz, that's how it's here in Durban. What you see in Bollywood movies isn't what you get in reality. Majority of Indians here are very ordinary looking people, and are mostly very swarthy-esque in complexion. The coloured population of South Africa have fairer skins than an average Indian.

Bollywood is not being honest with it's representation of the Indian populace. The indian film industry has this existing prejudice that fairer is always better. Consequently, half-breeds rule the roost in Bollywood.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by Liposure: 1:55pm On Jun 26, 2020
RayMcBlue:

Lolz, that's how it's here in Durban. What you see in Bollywood movies isn't what you get in reality. Majority of Indians here are very ordinary looking people, and are mostly very swarthy-esque in complexion. The coloured population of South Africa have fairer skins than an average Indian.

Bollywood is not being honest with it's representation of the Indian populace. The indian film industry has this existing prejudice that fairer is always better. Half breeds rule the roost in Bollywood.
its a general mindset. Not just in india. Take nigeria 4 example, where many of our ladies bleach their melanin popping skins in a bid 2 gain cheap acceptance. Just because 2 them anything light is cuter. Its like the darker the skin the lower the self esteem. Here lies the problem
Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by Ishilove: 2:36pm On Jun 26, 2020
RayMcBlue:

Bollywood is not being honest with it's representation of the Indian populace. The indian film industry has this existing prejudice that fairer is always better. Consequently, half-breeds rule the roost in Bollywood.
Even their women are plain. They are just deceiving us and making us feel flabby and homely, which is a lesson in itself: don't believe everything you see on TV angry

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by IHate9jerianss(m): 2:38pm On Jun 26, 2020
Liposure:
its a general mindset. Not just in india Take nigeria 4 example, where many of our ladies bleach their melanin popping skins in a bid 2 gain acceptance from the outside world just becos they believe light is cuter. Its like the darker the skin the lower the self esteem. Here lies the problem
The mindset in india is different.They are a self loathing lot.A Nigerian man with a lighter skintone will have sex with a darker skinned woman and even marry her but a lighter skinned Indian man wouldn't even dream of such a thing.We see dark skinned indians like Aziz Asari,Hassan Minhaj,Mindy Kalinv even Apu on the simpsons in western mainsteam movies and tv shows but such a thing can never happen in india.The dark skinned indians are always the background characters/dancers.Google the indian caste system and see for yourself.For your information,Nigerian women bleach their skins because they see other Nigerian women bleaching their skins.All the man are the cause narrative is bullshit

3 Likes

Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by rationalhuman(m): 2:54pm On Jun 26, 2020
Problem with us people is that without having proper knowledge or with partial knowledge we try to put our half backed theories,

Its not the Cast system over there that is reason of their different colors of skins.

There has to be various colors and skin complexions,its multiracial , Multi Lingual, Multi Religious, Multi Ethnicity Country. Below are the Main Races in India , 13 are main races.

Indo-Aryan
Indo Nordic
Proto-Austroloid
Mediterrenian
The Turk-Iranian
Aryo-Dravidian
Scytho-Dravidian
Paleo-Mediterraneans
Tibeto-Mongoloids
Dravidian
Mongoloid
Mongol-Dravidians'
Western Brynchephals

Indian People we see here in this continent are mostly Dravidian (With Brown or slight darker skins).

IHate9jerianss:
The mindset in india is different.They are a self loathing lot.A Nigerian man with a lighter skintone will have sex with a darker skinned woman and even marry her but a lighter skinned Indian man wouldn't even dream of such a thing.We see dark skinned indians like Aziz Asari,Hassan Minhaj even Apu on the simpsons in western mainsteam movies and tv shows but such a thing can never happen in india.The dark skinned indians are always the background characters/dancers.Google the indian caste system and see for yourself.For your information,Nigerian women bleach their skins because they see other Nigerian women bleaching their skins.All the man are the cause narrative is bullshit
Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by IHate9jerianss(m): 2:59pm On Jun 26, 2020
rationalhuman:
Problem with us people is that without having proper knowledge or with partial knowledge we try to put our half backed theories,

Its not the Cast system over there that is reason of their different colors of skins.

There has to be various colors and skin complexions,its multiracial , Multi Lingual, Multi Religious, Multi Ethnicity Country. Below are the Main Races in India , 13 are main races.

Indo-Aryan
Indo Nordic
Proto-Austroloid
Mediterrenian
The Turk-Iranian
Aryo-Dravidian
Scytho-Dravidian
Paleo-Mediterraneans
Tibeto-Mongoloids
Dravidian
Mongoloid
Mongol-Dravidians'
Western Brynchephals

Indian People we see here in this continent are mostly Dravidian (With Brown or slight darker skins).

The darker skinned indians in india are at the bottom of the caste system.The ones whose skins can even be described as black even blacker than black

1 Like

Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by rationalhuman(m): 3:15pm On Jun 26, 2020
Again a comment full of Ignorance, Skin tone has nothing to do with Cast.

Cast system is dominant and practiced in Dravidian Race mostly.
And i suggest you Search for Dravidian people image, they are all darker , understand. There can be Higher cast Darker person and Lower cast Less Darker person or vice versa.

Skin is Natural reflection of Genomes (Race) while Cast is a man made social hierarchy system based upon Varna system. Although its dying out

IHate9jerianss:
The darker skinned indians in india are at the bottom of the caste system.The ones whose skins can even be described as black even blacker than black
Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by RayMcBlue(m): 3:17pm On Jun 26, 2020
Falling Down (1993)
Genre: Crime, Action, Drama, Thriller

It's a 1993 crime thriller directed by Joel Schumacher, and written by Ebbe Roe Smith. The film stars Micheal Douglass in the lead role, in what is arguably his most complex role till date. In this film, he's both the villain and the victim. The theme revolves around mental illness, and the societal factors contributing to it.

The story is about a man that had a nervous breakdown while stuck in a traffic dreadlock in a sweltering weather condition, and proceeded to unleash his frustration on the society.

What I loved most about the film is the gallows humour. Even when it's at it's darkest, it's darkly hilarious. In my opinion, it should have been marketed as a black-comedy, in light of the fact that the plot contains critical components of dark humour. Michael Douglas depiction of mental illness is extremely convincing. He managed to humanize an otherwise despicable character in more ways than one. I couldn't help but empathize with his plight. Robert Duvall on this part, put in a decent shift, though by and large, inferior to Douglas' scintillating performance.

Loved the 90s themed cinematography and score. What makes it even better is the authenticity of it. None of the faux 90s settings cooked up in the studio nowadays. Nah, this is the real sh*t. The 90s score contributed immensely in encapsulating the era's culture, and spirit.

That being said, it does get a tad pretentious at times, and can get too clever for it's own good. Some of which are bound to be clinge-worthy to an attentive audience.

To conclude, it's a lighthearted interpretation of complex socioeconomic issues pervading our society. Mental health issues cannot be overemphasized.

3 Likes

Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by Ishilove: 3:22pm On Jun 26, 2020
RayMcBlue:
Falling Down (1993)
Genre: Crime, Action, Drama, Thriller

It's a 1993 crime thriller directed by Joel Schumacher, and written by Ebbe Roe Smith. The film stars Micheal Douglass in the lead role, in what is arguably his most complex role till date. In this film, he's both the villain and the victim. The theme revolves around mental illness, and the societal factors contributing to it.

The story is about a man that had a nervous breakdown while stuck in a traffic dreadlock in a sweltering weather condition, and proceeded to unleash his frustration on the society.

What I loved most about the film is the gallows humour. Even when it's at it's darkest, it's darkly hilarious. In my opinion, it should have been marketed as a black-comedy, in light of the fact that the plot contains critical components of dark humour. Michael Douglas depiction of mental illness is extremely convincing. He managed to humanize an otherwise despicable character in more ways than one. I couldn't help but empathize with his plight. Robert Duvall on this part, put in a decent shift, though by and large, inferior to Douglas' scintillating performance.

Loved the 90s themed cinematography and score. What makes it even better is the authenticity of it. None of the faux 90s settings cooked up in the studio nowadays. Nah, this is the real sh*t. The 90s score contributed immensely in encapsulating the era's culture, and spirit.

That being said, it does get a tad pretentious at times, and can get too clever for it's own good. Some of which are clinge-worthy to an attentive audience.

To conclude, it's a lighthearted interpretation of complex socioeconomic issues pervading our society. Mental health issues cannot be overemphasized.

I disagree. Micheal's character didn't have mental issues. Just really bad anger issues. He only went over the edge towards the end.

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by Edopesin: 3:25pm On Jun 26, 2020
DrDax:
I do not know what I ate yesterday that gave me a running stomach.
Not a funny experience at all.

So, with that premise, and because the human mind works in mysterious ways,
I am tonight going to binge on the below-listed purge movies

1. The Purge (2013)
2. The Purge Anarchy (2014)
3. The Purge: Election Year (2016)
4. The First Purge (2018)

My review in the morning.
Spoilers are welcome.......

The purge series was rather underwhelming even though the ideas were great
I'll see these movies
Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by IHate9jerianss(m): 3:30pm On Jun 26, 2020
rationalhuman:
Again a comment full of Ignorance, Skin tone has nothing to do with Cast.

Cast system is dominant and practiced in Dravidian Race mostly.
And i suggest you Search for Dravidian people image, they are all darker , understand. There can be Higher cast Darker person and Lower cast Less Darker person or vice versa.

Skin is Natural reflection of Genomes (Race) while Cast is a man made social hierarchy system based upon Varna system. Although its dying out

Indian sympathiser,stick to the point and quit the diversionary tactic,people with a darker skintone are still generally discriminated against in their daily lives in india.With their large population in india,why are they not represented in leading roles in any Bollywood movie or soap?If you like respond with they aren't good enough or they don't have the right connections

1 Like

Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by RayMcBlue(m): 3:40pm On Jun 26, 2020
Ishilove:

I disagree. Micheal's character didn't have mental issues. Just really bad anger issues. He only went over the edge towards the end.

The man had deep underlying issues long before his wife divorced him. He felt undervalued by society, and vented his frustration through bouts of temper. From what I gleaned from reading extensively on the topic, mental illness is a gradual process, and when left unchecked, escalates with time. The ex-wife recognized this, and proactively not only divorced him, but also, leashed him with a restraining order.

Now, it's important to note that while he may not have reached his breaking point when he was married, the divorce and restraining order contributed immensely in sending him teetering towards his breaking point - the societal influence I talked about.

Like his mom told the detectives, he seats through entire meals without talking, while mechanically shoving food into his mouth like a robot, and occasionally eyeballs her like he longs to murder her. The Mum was petrified of him.

The mental issues had always been there, the heat only served to give him the final push towards insanity.

5 Likes

Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by Ishilove: 5:34pm On Jun 26, 2020
RayMcBlue:

The man had deep underlying issues long before his wife divorced him. He felt undervalued by society, and vented his frustration through bouts of temper. From what I gleaned from reading extensively on the topic, mental illness is a gradual process, and when left unchecked, escalates with time. The ex-wife recognized this, and proactively not only divorced him, but also, leashed him with a restraining order.

Now, it's important to note that while he may not have reached his breaking point when he was married, the divorce and restraining order contributed immensely in sending him teetering towards his breaking point - the societal influence I talked about.

Like his mom told the detectives, he seats through entire meals without talking, while mechanically shoving food into his mouth like a robot, and occasionally eyeballs her like he longs to murder her. The Mum was petrified of him.

The mental issues has always been there, the heat only served to give him the final push towards insanity.

Ok grin

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by DrDax: 7:18pm On Jun 26, 2020
DrDax:

1. The Purge (2013)

The Purge: Election Year (2016) - 8/10

Now this is it!!!
An ethnic cleansing exercise disguised as a National Holiday.
A supremacist agenda clothed in messianic robes.
Ladies and gentlemen, Give it up for the Most Asinine Idea ever in the history of government.
The New Founding Fathers must have some loose crew somewhere (proven too).

As for our presidential candidate, someone should please help me tell her that, YOU CANNOT RULE WITH CLEAN HANDS.
My gosh, she is so smart and stooopeeed, all at the same time.

Great Character development.
Violence - check
Ideology - check
Suspense - check
Therapeutic - check
Madness - check!

Best purge movie!!!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by DrDax: 7:38pm On Jun 26, 2020
DrDax:

1. The Purge (2013)

The Purge (2013) - 6/10
The first installment of the purge collection.
Predictable and ponderous at times.
Typical horror story isolation plot.
Fair enough.
Forgettable..

Love the slight plot-twist at the end though.

Imagine your neighbor tried unsuccessfully to "end" you on purge night,
How una go take look una sef in the morning? grin

Had to write the above in 'broken' for maximum effect. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by rationalhuman(m): 8:10am On Jun 27, 2020
Post the screenshot of my comment where i said they arnt discriminated? I challenge you post that screenshot.

*You were correlating color with cast and since its wrong as Color is outcome of race while Cast is man made Social Hierarchy system based upon Varna system, i had to correct that.* Prove this sentence wrong and i will say yes sire i learnt something from you.

From now on Remember my Username, whenever wherever someone posts anything wrong i put Facts and Stats from Credible authentic sources.

I dont care about any Race, Any Religion, Any Country any Ideology but you post wrong statement and i will counter. But if someone has low iq or a teenager i dont mention and finish that conversation at that point. I discuss with Educated and intellectual people, people who dont post what they think but posts the statements based upon Authentic credible data. Mention me only with solid data only, not what you think.

IHate9jerianss:
Indian sympathiser,stick to the point and quit the diversionary tactic,people with a darker skintone are still generally discriminated against in their daily lives in india.With their large population in india,why are they not represented in leading roles in any Bollywood movie or soap?If you like respond with they aren't good enough or they don't have the right connections

1 Like

Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by IHate9jerianss(m): 9:46am On Jun 27, 2020
rationalhuman:
Post the screenshot of my comment where i said they arnt discriminated? I challenge you post that screenshot.

*You were correlating color with cast and since its wrong as Color is outcome of race while Cast is man made Social Hierarchy system based upon Varna system, i had to correct that.* Prove this sentence wrong and i will say yes sire i learnt something from you.

From now on Remember my Username, whenever wherever someone posts anything wrong i put Facts and Stats from Credible authentic sources.

I dont care about any Race, Any Religion, Any Country any Ideology but you post wrong statement and i will counter. But if someone has low iq or a teenager i dont mention and finish that conversation at that point. I discuss with Educated and intellectual people, people who dont post what they think but posts the statements based upon Authentic credible data. Mention me only with solid data only, not what you think.

Baba,you are rude and arrogant.I hope for your sake you impress someone someday, online/offline, with your "intellect"

6 Likes

Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by BetWinners(m): 10:41am On Jun 27, 2020
FRACTURE---2007

In this legal thriller Anthony Hopkins plays an engineer who shoots his unfaithful wife,confesses to the crime & decides to defend himself in court against a young lawyer played by Ryan Gosling.A car & mouse game ensues

2 Likes

Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by BetWinners(m): 10:43am On Jun 27, 2020
IHate9jerianss:
Baba,you are rude and arrogant.I hope for your sake you impress someone someday, online/offline, with your "intellect"
You have made your point
Please ignore that fellow henceforth & let us focus on the purpose of this thread
Thank you

4 Likes

Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by Ishilove: 11:31am On Jun 27, 2020
BetWinners:
FRACTURE---2007

In this legal thriller Anthony Hopkins plays an engineer who shoots his unfaithful wife,confesses to the crime & decides to defend himself in court against a young lawyer played by Ryan Gosling.A car & mouse game ensues
The plot is intriguing...

1 Like

Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by BetWinners(m): 11:52am On Jun 27, 2020
Ishilove:
The plot is intriguing...
It is. Hopkins & Gosling are also at their charismatic best

1 Like

Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by Kaycee7(m): 6:16pm On Jun 27, 2020
IHate9jerianss:
You were the first to call him "Indian sympathizer" but na only him dey rude and arrogant. What is the color of your hypocrisy?

1 Like

Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by BetWinners(m): 7:06pm On Jun 27, 2020
Kaycee7:
You were the first to call him "Indian sympathizer" but na only him dey rude and arrogant. What is the color of your hypocrisy?
Take your mischief elsewhere

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by Ishilove: 6:31am On Jun 28, 2020
DrDax, do you recommend I watch all the Purge movies?
Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by DrDax: 8:28am On Jun 28, 2020
Ishilove:
DrDax, do you recommend I watch all the Purge movies?

A tentative yes.
I fear you may be disappointed.

Let me finish Purge Anarchy first.

So far Election Year is the more thought-out version.

Update:
The Purge Anarchy. 2014 - 7/10
Provides a good background for Election Year.

Imagine being caught on the streets and defenceless on purge night shocked

"The people are not killing themselves enough, so we decided to supplement."
Talk about therapeutic murder. And lawful too. cheesy

The end got me a tear, maybe two sha.
Good purge.

In conclusion:
Dear Ishilove,
I would recommend Anarchy and Election Year for your viewing pleasure.
They are the most closely related.
Shalom.
Re: What Movie Did You Watch Today? by Ishilove: 8:53am On Jun 28, 2020
DrDax:

A tentative yes.
I fear you may be disappointed.

Let me finish Purge Anarchy first.

So far Election Year is the more thought-out version.

Update:
The Purge Anarchy. 2014 - 7/10
Provides a good background for Election Year.

Imagine being caught on the streets and defenceless on purge night shocked

"The people are not killing themselves enough, so we decided to supplement."
Talk about therapeutic murder. And lawful too. cheesy

The end got me a tear, maybe two sha.
Good purge.

In conclusion:
Dear Ishilove,
I would recommend Anarchy and Election Year for your viewing pleasure.
They are the most closely related.
Shalom.
Thank ye grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (28) (Reply)

Photos From 2018 BBNaija Eviction Party Last Night / Bisola: "I Have Done Things On This BBNaija That My Daughter Shouldn't Watch" / Bbnaija: Thin Tall Tony, 5 Top Facts About Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.