Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,840 members, 7,838,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 02:13 PM

Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank (18387 Views)

Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. / The Differences Between The IMF And The World Bank / TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Nigeria’s Economy Outlook Growing, Says World Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by jason123: 1:11am On Jan 22, 2011
Kilode?!:

LOL

I agree. Dimeji Bankole is disappointment. But I'm just holding out hope that it might be because those people are from Nigerian families with deep links into the corrupt structures we have. Some of those kids went to Harvard, Cambridge and Oxford on Stolen Public Money. They come on NL sometimes to defend their Daddy cheesy

That is very right but most people do not know. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Katsumoto: 1:12am On Jan 22, 2011
asha 80:

you cannot totally eradicate corruption.even in uk some level of corruption exists.however as you are trying to fight corruption why not set up a system that does not encourage corruption?take yourself as an example if you are inherenlty corrrupt person which scenario will you prefer?

1.i simply sit my arse in my state capital and get assured allocation to run my state without actually doing anything

or

2.i have to be proactiave in generating revenue to run my state whether oyo,anambra kogi bornu?i have to stress myself to marshall a plan that will bring money into the state(ok minus oil states).now in this scenario Katsumoto tell me what will make a man like akala and ohakim want to be a governor?

the scenario 2 helps to eliminate the daft and visionless corrupt person and now leaves visionary corrupt person to still seek power.this now in turn makes fighting these corrupt remnants a bit easier.

Tell me, what service do motor park chairmen you find in the south west provide? If you are a thug and you don't have developmental ideas, what stops you from running a protection racket? What stops people like Akala from becoming governors and charging citizens and corporations some kind of tax which he can steal? Is that not what England had before magna carta was signed by King John in 1215?
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by ekubear1: 1:12am On Jan 22, 2011
Kilode?!:

LOL

I agree. Dimeji Bankole is disappointment. But I'm just holding out hope that it might be because those people are from Nigerian families with deep links into the corrupt structures we have. Some of those kids went to Harvard, Cambridge and Oxford on Stolen Public Money. They come on NL sometimes to defend their Daddy cheesy

I said that because I doubt eku_bear has a Federal minister in his lineage, so he might not see the Nigerian corrupt system as his bread and butter. I hope he doesn't. Eku defend yaself.
grin grin grin

Lol, let's put it this way. If I had a federal minister in my lineage, I'd not be in the US  grin I'd be back home getting contracts somehow somehow  grin
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by asha80(m): 1:12am On Jan 22, 2011
ola olabiy:

Thanks for asking him o.

It seems these people don't understand the magnitude and how endemic this corruption is.

those type of corruption also happens in the western world too.merryl lynch,lukos oil ,enron and that swindler in in US.the thing here is even the local council man here becomes a millionarre in 2 months of becoming LGA chairman.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by olaolabiy: 1:13am On Jan 22, 2011
Kilode?!:

LOL

I said that because I doubt eku_bear has a Federal minister in his lineage, so he might not see the Nigerian corrupt system as his bread and butter. I hope he doesn't. Eku defend yaself.

I am hitching to know more about Eku too. His dad must be powerful and rich. I mean a typical Nigerian politician. LOL. cheesy grin

TENSOR777 is another example. They have never seen anything wrong with corruption. smiley
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by jason123: 1:13am On Jan 22, 2011
Beaf:

You can have corruption in true federalism, but representation of the citizen will be so much greater that it would dilute the possibility of corruption to the barest minimum.
One thing for you to really consider, is that there is no country half as big or as complex as Nigeria that practices a unitary system of govt. Unitary govt is suited to smaller, more ethnically and religiously homogenous countries.
Another thing to have in mind, is the fact the there is no unitary govt the World over, that distributes money from the centre; it is always from the provinces and municipalities upward.

Just as there are oil resources in some parts of the country, so there are gold, uranium, precious stones etc in other parts. What will change will be the way revenues and ownership are apportioned; under true federalism, there will no longer be one almighty, corruption attracting owner (FG), rather wealth centres will be distributed and corruption diluted.

. . . .  and just to build on what Beaf said
True federalism would increase development in the country because it would bring a[b] competition factor among regions or groups[/b]
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Katsumoto: 1:18am On Jan 22, 2011
Beaf:

You can have corruption in true federalism, but representation of the citizen will be so much greater that it would dilute the possibility of corruption to the barest minimum.
One thing for you to really consider, is that there is no country half as big or as complex as Nigeria that practices a unitary system of govt. Unitary govt is suited to smaller, more ethnically and religiously homogenous countries.
Another thing to have in mind, is the fact the there is no unitary govt the World over, that distributes money from the centre; it is always from the provinces and municipalities upward.

Just as there are oil resources in some parts of the country, so there are gold, uranium, precious stones etc in other parts. What will change will be the way revenues and ownership are apportioned; under true federalism, there will no longer be one almighty, corruption attracting owner (FG), rather wealth centres will be distributed and corruption diluted.

But you agree that there can be corruption in a small country practising unitary system with rich deposits of natural resources? How do you explain the practices in the middle east where the oil belongs to the sheikhs?
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Kilode1: 1:20am On Jan 22, 2011
ola olabiy:

I am hitching to know more about Eku too. His dad must be powerful and rich. I mean a typical Nigerian politician. LOL. cheesy grin

TENSOR777 is another example. They have never seen anything wrong with corruption. smiley

Tensor, LOL,  Where is the dude? I can bet 5 quid on that one. He's from big money, probably federal civil service or Politics, or Maybe private company money, Scholarship, Family funded through Oxford or LSE. I envy some Nigerians Walahi   cheesy

Tensor no vex, just wondering sha  tongue cool
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by jason123: 1:20am On Jan 22, 2011
Katsumoto:

But you agree that there can be corruption in a small country practising unitary system with rich deposits of natural resources? How do you explain the practices in the middle east where the oil belongs to the sheikhs?
This takes us back to the ideology argument. To you, it might be corrupt to do such but to them it is normal.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by violent(m): 1:22am On Jan 22, 2011
haha, funny how Eku disappeared once the issue of his wealthy background was brought up. . . dude, you and i have business to do cheesy
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Kilode1: 1:22am On Jan 22, 2011
eku_bear:

grin grin grin

Lol, let's put it this way. If I had a federal minister in my lineage, I'd not be in the US  grin I'd be back home getting contracts somehow somehow  grin

You are a quick learner cheesy
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by olaolabiy: 1:22am On Jan 22, 2011
Katsumoto:

Why not leave Beaf alone, abeg. He's only arguing along the line he wants. That's the picture he sees; his pet project.

God idea though and I support it. At least it will alleviate it. But, corruption will still be there just marginal improvements
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by ekubear1: 1:22am On Jan 22, 2011
I agree about @Tensor777, dude is probably the son of some rich Igbo businessman, or something  grin

Me though, I come from a long line of farmers, jujumen, traders and teachers. A humble lineage, but a proud one  grin
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by olaolabiy: 1:25am On Jan 22, 2011
violent:

haha, funny how Eku disappeared once the issue of his wealthy background was brought up. . . dude, you and i have business to do cheesy

grin grin I tell yah. Eku has to link me up asap. cheesy

eku_bear:

I agree about @Tensor777, dude is probably the son of some rich Igbo businessman, or something grin

Me though, I come from a long line of farmers, jujumen, traders and teachers. A humble lineage, but a proud one grin

Now, We have to do 'business' oo. You and Tensor.

Thank God, I don sabi people wink grin
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by ikeyman00(m): 1:25am On Jan 22, 2011
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

improve the environment and the system

watch bad attitude and corruption gradually fizzle out then people will eventually start to be part of what they ve got

eg u see Nigerian driving in a dual-carriage like its single lane duly to the fact the roads are bad; the trailers have parked at the side of the roads thereby narrowing the passage  eg lagos benin enugu expressway; train the police and their welfare taken care of;
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by asha80(m): 1:26am On Jan 22, 2011
Katsumoto:

Tell me, what service do motor park chairmen you find in the south west provide? If you are a thug and you don't have developmental ideas, what stops you from running a protection racket? Why stops people like Akala from becoming governors and charging citizens and corporations some kind of tax which he can steal? Is that not what England had before magna carta was signed by King John in 1215?

first motor park chairmen in the west to be honest i do not know their relevance with government corruption.

my brother you and i know it is more convenient to sit your arse in in govt house and wait for allocation than hassle citizens and cooperations for tax so that you can steal from them.funnily you might have associates that have businesses in your area of jurisdiction.would it be easier to to tax them and steal their cash?

as for rackets italy also have serouis rackets but would it not be foolish to say corruption is affected seriously italies developent.

recently a mafia racket was arrested in new york US.did their presence affect new york's development?

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=186293
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Nobody: 1:27am On Jan 22, 2011
eku_bear:

I agree about @Tensor777, dude is probably the son of some rich Igbo businessman, or something  grin

Me though, I come from a long line of farmers, jujumen, traders and teachers. A humble lineage, but a proud one  grin

forget that thing . cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

humble lineage full ground . we have omo fisherman, omo subsistence farmer etc etc. obj and co are not even one generation away from their impoverished roots

what can i say, they've stole a long way from their origins
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by asha80(m): 1:33am On Jan 22, 2011
Katsumoto:

do they see it as being corrupt?

ola olabiy:

Why not leave Beaf alone, abeg. He's only arguing along the line he wants. That's the picture he sees; his pet project.

God idea though and I support it. At least it will alleviate it. But, corruption will still be there just marginal improvements

if corruption stll exist in western societies and asia what makes you think that it would be eradicated in nigeria of all countries?why not we do the thinng we know that will eliminate it marginally and carry it on from their intead of waiting till 2100 when our culture would change vis a vis our outlook towards corruption that is even if our culture will indeed change?
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by ekubear1: 1:34am On Jan 22, 2011
Katsumoto:

You miss the point; being rich and having a young girlfriend is not the issue here. The issue here is a generation of young girls who are doing it.
So generation of young girls doing it = corruption?

What was the percentage of girls doing this in the early 80s (when corruption was not at the magnitude it is at today) when compared to now?
Correlation != causation

The boys can't do the same, hence why they are into Yahoo yahoo.
What does yahoo yahoo have to do with having a sugar daddy   You are seriously comparing fraud to this?

Please compare the prepondrance of this issue in Nigeria with more developed societies. Brazil is not a good example due to the level of poverty in it (though the situation has improved in the last 8 years thanks to Lula)
I would be interested in seeing ANY study which demonstrates that this practice is related to corruption, rather than poverty.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by olaolabiy: 1:36am On Jan 22, 2011
asha 80:

do they see it as being corrupt?

if corruption stll exist in western societies and asia what makes you think that it would be eradicated in nigeria of all countries?why not we do the thinng we know that will eliminate it marginally and carry it on from their intead of waiting till 2100 when our culture would change vis a vis our outlook towards corruption that is even if our culture will indeed change?

Corruption won't allow those in power to do it anyway. You can just take the pie away from them. LOL
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Katsumoto: 1:45am On Jan 22, 2011
asha 80:

first motor park chairmen in the west to be honest i do not know their relevance with government corruption.

my brother you and i know it is more convenient to sit your arse in in govt house and wait for allocation than hassle citizens and cooperations for tax so that you can steal from them.funnily you might have associates that have businesses in your area of jurisdiction.would it be easier to to tax them and steal their cash?

as for rackets italy also have serouis rackets but would it not be foolish to say corruption is affected seriously italies developent.

recently a mafia racket was arrested in new york US.did their presence affect new york's development?

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=186293

You asked about the allure of public office when there is no money coming from the centre and I replied by telling you that even when there is no resource, corrupt people will find a way to get to the top as long as there are some entitlements to be gained. Why do you think those guys are ready to kill themselves when it is time for park elections?
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by SapeleGuy: 1:47am On Jan 22, 2011
Is it corruption that makes a governor educate his children abroad?
No, he has money to build the best schools in the world in his state.

Is it corruption that makes a governor seek health treatment abroad?
No, he has the money to build the best hospitals in the world in his state.

Is it corruption that makes a governor buy 4x4s for bad roads?
No, he can fix the roads if he wants to.

Is it corruption that makes a governor insensitive to insecurity in his state?
No he can restore order very quickly.

The truth is they simply do not care.

Corruption is a convenient and blinkered chorus. When we are ready to tell the truth we will no longer deny this.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by nduchucks: 1:50am On Jan 22, 2011
@Sapeleguy, are you insinuating that there is some genetic predisposition that makes leaders do those irrational things you itemized? Your leaders from East, West, South, and North, exhibit this mental inferiority.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Kilode1: 1:52am On Jan 22, 2011
SapeleGuy:

Corruption is a convenient and blinkered chorus. When we are ready to tell the truth we will no longer deny this.

Why do you think they don't care, is it cultural, or genetic like ndu_chucks asked?

Edit
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by olaolabiy: 1:53am On Jan 22, 2011
SapeleGuy:

[b]Is it corruption that makes a governor insensitive to insecurity in his state?[/b]No he can restore order very quickly.

It is still corruption and spirit of oppression. Without corruption you would not have enough money to send your kids abroad or attend medical check-ups abroad.

You are soo wrong, bro. You want security while people are sleepless because of hunger bestowed on them by your misrule. Abi?
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by asha80(m): 1:53am On Jan 22, 2011
Katsumoto:

You asked about the allure of public office when there is no money coming from the centre and I replied by telling you that even when there is no resource, corrupt people will find a way to get to the top as long as there are some entitlements to be gained. Why do you think those guys are ready to kill themselves when it is time for park elections?

that is why i said the bolded.it is not totally going to eradicat corruption unless nigerians will suddenly turn swiss citizens.

asha 80:

you cannot totally eradicate corruption.even in uk some level of corruption exists.however as you are trying to fight corruption why not set up a system that does not encourage corruption?take yourself as an example if you are inherenlty corrrupt person which scenario will you prefer?

1.i simply sit my arse in my state capital and get assured allocation to run my state without actually doing anything

or

2.i have to be proactiave in generating revenue to run my state whether oyo,anambra kogi bornu?i have to stress myself to marshall a plan that will bring money into the state(ok minus oil states).now in this scenario Katsumoto tell me what will make a man like akala and ohakim want to be a governor?

the scenario 2 helps to eliminate the daft and visionless corrupt person and now leaves visionary corrupt person to still seek power
.this now in turn makes fighting these corrupt remnants a bit easier.

Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Katsumoto: 1:58am On Jan 22, 2011
SapeleGuy:

Is it corruption that makes a governor insensitive to insecurity in his state?
No he can restore order very quickly.

Nigerians are very elitist people and will find a way to differentiate themselves from other less fortunate Nigerians. It is common to hear Nigerian fathers introducing their kids like, 'that is my son Tunde, the only that schools in Oxford'

There is a place in Essex, England call Chafford Hundred. Everyone knows it as Chafford Hundred but Nigerians have found a way to differentiate between New and old Chafford Hundred. This was done by the Nigerians living in New Chafford Hundred.

Why do some Nigerians build their houses right in the middle of a bush if not to be the local champion, the one they go to when there is no water, the one who has a generator that brings out his TV when there is a game on TV. Mind you, they use this power ruthlessly like the case of a man who killed a guy about to graduate from uni because someone stole from his house and the murdered guy was the poorest of his son's friends in their area somewhere in Agege.

Also, if they provide all those facilities, they would have less to throw around, buy houses abroad, spend on kids, wives and mistresses.

If Saraki provided facilities in Kwara, there would be less people in his house everyday that he can exploit to his political advantage.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Katsumoto: 1:59am On Jan 22, 2011
asha 80:

that is why i said the bolded.it is not totally going to eradicat corruption unless nigerians will suddenly turn swiss citizens.

No one is expecting a complete eradication of corruption; we simply want a significant reduction.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by jason123: 2:00am On Jan 22, 2011
Katsumoto:

No one is expecting a complete eradication of corruption; we simply want a significant reduction.
How do you hope to achieve that?
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by SapeleGuy: 2:01am On Jan 22, 2011
People, the facts are staring you in the face. They are UNPATRIOTIC. They do not believe in Nigeria.

Ndu_Chucks talked about leaders (we don't have them in Nigeria), I speak about misrulers because the ingredients of leadership such as self sacrifice, creating a common sence of purpose, national pride are all missing.

If I was generous I would also ask us not to disregard the high level of incompetence amongst these so called leaders.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by fstranger1: 2:04am On Jan 22, 2011
jason123:

How do you hope to achieve that?

For starters, lets bomb the Senate building!

That should tell the president that we are damn serious about eradicating corruption

Left to me though, I want corruption to stay so that I can steal my own share of the national. After I am done with my share, we can start talking about eradicating corruption.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by SapeleGuy: 2:05am On Jan 22, 2011
Katsumoto, good points. Our people are practising pure feudalism.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Where Do I Buy Nylon For Plantain/potato Chips Packaging / Ifeanyi Ubah Sues DSS, Seeks Release From Detention / Betting On OTHER SPORT.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.