Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,577 members, 7,840,380 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 11:19 PM

Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank (18401 Views)

Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. / The Differences Between The IMF And The World Bank / TRANSFORMATION AGENDA: Nigeria’s Economy Outlook Growing, Says World Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Katsumoto: 2:06am On Jan 22, 2011
SapeleGuy:

People, the facts are staring you in the face. They are UNPATRIOTIC. They do not believe in Nigeria.

Ndu_Chucks talked about leaders (we don't have them in Nigeria), I speak about misrulers because the ingredients of leadership such as self sacrifice, creating a common sence of purpose, national pride are all missing.

If I was generous I would also ask us not to disregard the high level of incompetence amongst these so called leaders.

They are incompetent because they are ill-qualified for the positions they hold. A fish can not fly. Simply we are products of a corrupt system. Turnover of Nigerian leaders has been very high since 1999 but there is little to show for it. I think 2/3 of representatives did not return in 2007. That number is going to be about the same this time around. The leaders are not the problem; the people are, including those that are being cheated. Nigerian leaders did not come from another country, they are Nigerians.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Katsumoto: 2:09am On Jan 22, 2011
SapeleGuy:

Katsumoto, good points. Our people are practising pure feudalism.

Correct, the system that was partially abolished in Europe in the middle ages. I hold you and your family subject to me; in turn you fight for me when I go to war. In Nigeria, they hold you ransome so that you can do their bidding during elections.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by olaolabiy: 2:11am On Jan 22, 2011
Katsumoto:

They are incompetent because they are ill-qualified for the positions they hold. A fish can not fly. Simply we are products of a corrupt system. Turnover of Nigerian leaders has been very high since 1999 but there is little to show for it. I think 2/3 of representatives did not return in 2007. That number is going to be about the same this time around. The leaders are not the problem; the people are, including those that are being cheated. Nigerian leaders did not come from another country, they are Nigerians.

WORD!
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Katsumoto: 2:13am On Jan 22, 2011
deleted
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by nduchucks: 2:14am On Jan 22, 2011
@Sapeleguy, I submit to you people that the said powerful and rulers are Nigerians just like you and are probably of superior intellect than most of you. These people are a reflection of you – why do you continue to allow them to constantly beat you into submission while you respond with internet warriorship or outright escape out of the country?? You guys sound brilliant enough to seize power from them! Don’t give me the old story – they have the money/big guns e.t.c.  Tunisia has taken that argument away from you.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by SapeleGuy: 2:17am On Jan 22, 2011
ola olabiy:

It is still corruption and spirit of oppression. Without corruption you would not have enough money to send your kids abroad or attend medical check-ups abroad.

You are soo wrong, bro. You want security while people are sleepless because of hunger bestowed on them by your misrule. Abi?

I think we are on the same page my brother. If we look at this matter dispassionately, corruption is not unique to Nigeria.
These people are unpatriotic they do not have a plan to make the country progress, how can we not have light in this day and age?

Thousands died 'to keep Nigeria 1' but yet they served up Bakassi like a plate of free rice Was there any protest? Imagine if Lagos was surrendered in the same manner.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Onlytruth(m): 2:18am On Jan 22, 2011
Corruption is bad. No question about it. But the man is right. All you need do is examine his preferred solution.
He says that "determination" is the greatest asset of any nation, and I think he is spot on! cool

Take one example.

In Anambra state during the Dr Chris Ngige governorship, no sane Anambra person will swear that Ngige was a saint and did not tamper with state coffers. But the man delivered MANY first rate roads. He delivered, BIG TIME inspite of being hounded by the OBJ backed thugs and being kidnapped. He soldiered on and won the hearts of the people by delivering dividends of democracy.

Take another example.

Nigeria has only performed well in sports competition when we had determined representatives.

I remember one African Champions Cup match between Iwuanyanwu  Nationale and Tonnerre of Cameroon in the late 80s.
The Cameroonians had played a 1-1 draw at Owerri and was boasting that they would destroy the Nigerians in Yaounde.

Guess what, they never knew there was a Nigerian called Friday Ekpo.
The Iwuanyanwu team fought like lions in Yaounde with Ekpo banging in two goals! undecided shocked cool
The match ended 2-2 and Nigeria qualified on away goal rule.
I bet you that there may have been corruption in selection of players , but luckily, the players were very determined to win.

This also explains why Igbo outperform other groups in Nigeria. Ndigbo hustle and are VERY DETERMINED in pursuit of a goal.

For Nigeria to move forward, she needs to copy the Igbo spirit and not try to suppress it.
It is the ONLY WAY to develop, corruption or not!  cool cool cool
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Katsumoto: 2:20am On Jan 22, 2011
ndu_chucks:

@Sapeleguy & Katsumoto, I submit to you people that the said powerful and rulers are Nigerians just like you and are probably of superior intellect than most of you. These people are a reflection of you – why do you continue to allow them to constantly beat you into submission while you respond with internet warriorship or outright escape out of the country?? You guys sound brilliant enough to seize power from them! Don’t give me the old story – they have the money/big guns e.t.c.  Tunisia has taken that argument away from you.

I disagree; they are not of superior intellect to me. I simply do not want live like they do. There is no price for peace of mind. My objective in life is to be happy and go wherever I can find that happiness; afterall, home is where the heart is. That being said, you can't draw conclusions about me because you do not know who I am. I may be someone who is part of the system but is not happy about it.  wink
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by asha80(m): 2:21am On Jan 22, 2011
ndu_chucks:

@Sapeleguy & Katsumoto, I submit to you people that the said powerful and rulers are Nigerians just like you and are probably of superior intellect than most of you. These people are a reflection of you – why do you continue to allow them to constantly beat you into submission while you respond with internet warriorship or outright escape out of the country?? You guys sound brilliant enough to seize power from them! Don’t give me the old story – they have the money/big guns e.t.c.  Tunisia has taken that argument away from you.

but nobody wan die  cry or nigerians do not love nigeria well enough for that sacrifice  lipsrsealed
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by olaolabiy: 2:21am On Jan 22, 2011
ndu_chucks:

@Sapeleguy & Katsumoto, I submit to you people that the said powerful and rulers are Nigerians just like you and are probably of superior intellect than most of you. These people are a reflection of you – why do you continue to allow them to constantly beat you into submission while you respond with internet warriorship or outright escape out of the country?? You guys sound brilliant enough to seize power from them! Don’t give me the old story – they have the money/big guns e.t.c. Tunisia has taken that argument away from you.

yOU NO SERIOUS OO grin grin.

But, seriously o, this is part of the culture problem I raised from the 1st page. Our culture is anti-society.

Do that and the people you have managed to save from a life of misery will make jest of you (even after death) and your family. And, you will not be celebrated.

But, ultimately, the new set of leaders after your sacrifice will do the same thing. E.g, no money was distributed by the AD in SW in 1999.
But, they came in and were not really different from military men before them or politician who gave kickbacks. E.g. Lam Adesina.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by fstranger1: 2:21am On Jan 22, 2011
^^^^@ Onlytruth
You see what you just did

Tribal chest beating.    .     . you going to regret it!
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by aljharem2: 2:24am On Jan 22, 2011
ndu_chucks:

@Sapeleguy, I submit to you people that the said powerful and rulers are Nigerians just like you and are probably of superior intellect than most of you. These people are a reflection of you – why do you continue to allow them to constantly beat you into submission while you respond with internet warriorship or outright escape out of the country?? You guys sound brilliant enough to seize power from them! Don’t give me the old story – they have the money/big guns e.t.c.  Tunisia has taken that argument away from you.

words!!!!

if no one sacrifice, then the country will never be good,,,,fact
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Katsumoto: 2:24am On Jan 22, 2011
Onlytruth:

Corruption is bad. No question about it. But the man is right. All you need do is examine his preferred solution.
He says that "determination" is the greatest asset of any nation, and I think he is spot on! cool

Take one example.

In Anambra state during the Dr Chris Ngige governorship, no sane Anambra person will swear that Ngige was a saint and did not tamper with state coffers. But the man delivered MANY first rate roads. He delivered, BIG TIME inspite of being hounded by the OBJ backed thugs and being kidnapped. He soldiered on and won the hearts of the people by delivering dividends of democracy.

Take another example.

Nigeria has only performed well in sports competition when we had determined representatives.

I remember one African Champions Cup match between Iwuanyanwu  Nationale and Tonnerre of Cameroon in the late 80s.
The Cameroonians had played a 1-1 draw at Owerri and was boasting that they would destroy the Nigerians in Yaounde.

Guess what, they never knew there was a Nigerian called Friday Ekpo.
The Iwuanyanwu team fought like lions in Yaounde with Ekpo banging in two goals! undecided shocked cool
The match ended 2-2 and Nigeria qualified on away goal rule.
I bet you that there may have been corruption in selection of players , but luckily, the players were very determined to win.

This also explains why Igbo outperform other groups in Nigeria. Ndigbo hustle and are VERY DETERMINED in pursuit of a goal.

For Nigeria to move forward, she needs to copy the Igbo spirit and not try to suppress it.
It is the ONLY WAY to develop, corruption or not!  cool cool cool

The discussion has been devoid of tribalism for 7 pages but in your true delusional self, you find a way to introduce Igbo supremacy to it. If it was down to just DETERMINATION, I am sure you could have found a way to leave ,  (I don't want to derail the thread).
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by SapeleGuy: 2:25am On Jan 22, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Ol boy e be like say you don turn to renegade. Are we to take it from this that you are now in favour of anarchy and terrorism?
The same type of anarchy that you criticised the Niger Delta for.
Yes you continue to criticise us from your plush Abuja des res. Pot and Kettle spring to mind. Truth be told you never miss an opportunity to defend your leaders.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Onlytruth(m): 2:27am On Jan 22, 2011
Posted by: fstranger1

^^^^@ Onlytruth
You see what you just did

Tribal chest beating.    .     . you going to regret it!

I only said the truth and you know I am saying the truth.
Every top country of the world tap into the best of their citizens.
The US has Jews and they have been one of the driving forces of American ingenuity.
The Jews are not suppressed. They are appreciated and nurtured.

Nigeria has Igbo, but they are discriminated against and marginalized.

All Nigerian groups can copy the Igbo spirit, but how do you copy what you vilify?
You have to accept it first.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by asha80(m): 2:27am On Jan 22, 2011
Katsumoto:

I disagree; they are not of superior intellect to me. I simply do not want live like they do. There is no price for peace of mind. My objective in life is to be happy and go wherever I can find that happiness; afterall, home is where the heart is. That being said, you can't draw conclusions about me because you do not know who I am. I may be someone who is part of the system but is not happy about it.  wink

but seriously i wonder why most think like these.if most tunisians thought like this what happened there would never have happened.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by fstranger1: 2:27am On Jan 22, 2011
Katsumoto:

This is hogwash

make no mistake about it

The smartest people in Nigeria are the one ruling us. The reason why they  are able to get away with everything.

That does not mean that everyone in government is smarter than the rest of us. But on average, the IQ of our leaders is higher than the average IQ of the citizen. Best believe it.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by olaolabiy: 2:28am On Jan 22, 2011
@Onlytruth is a troll and his comment is also a troll.

Turd!
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Ibime(m): 2:28am On Jan 22, 2011
I don't see why the airheaded comments from Mr Ruhr should elicit much reaction.

We already know our problems in Nigeria and anyone who claims not to know is either a beneficiary of said corruption, or simply being facetious.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by ekubear1: 2:31am On Jan 22, 2011
Is it at all possible you can take your Igbo agenda to another thread?

We get the memo; Igbos are Jews, etc, etc, are oppressed in Nigeria, etc, etc.

You sound like a song put on repeat
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Katsumoto: 2:31am On Jan 22, 2011
fstranger1:

This is hogwash

make no mistake about it

The smartest people in Nigeria are the one ruling us. The reason why they  are able to get away with everything.

That does not mean that everyone in government is smarter than the rest of us. But on average, the IQ of our leaders is higher than the average IQ of the citizen. Best believe it.

Is superior intellect linked with using thugs and assassins? Or is it linked with being occultic; visiting one shrine or the other? I doubt you truly know what these people do to get power.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by fstranger1: 2:33am On Jan 22, 2011
asha 80:

but seriously i wonder why most think like these.if most tunisians thought like this what happened there would never have happened.

I like you lot

we think alike

If Americans thought like Katsumoto, where would America be

Those of us that have taken their citizenship test remember  how ordinary Americans inspire themselves to change the country for good.

They did not run. they stood firm

We all remember Patrick Henry and his famous line: Give me freedom or give me death.

He did not say: Give me freedom or i will run away to look for happiness some where else.

It is because of people like Katsumoto that the country would never move forward.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Onlytruth(m): 2:33am On Jan 22, 2011
Posted by: Katsumoto

The discussion has been devoid of tribalism [/b]for 7 pages but in your true delusional self, you find a way to introduce Igbo supremacy to it. If it was down to just DETERMINATION, I am sure you could have found a way to leave ,   (I don't want to derail the thread).

You meant that the discussion has been devoid of the truth for 7 pages. Nigeria has been discussing for 43 years since after the war. Notice that the country was developing [b]before the war
, but has been stagnant or not developing enough since the war ended.

You keep forgetting that I am a Nigerian like you and I have seen all types of so called discussion
Nigerians can discuss for ever and still not achieve anything because they hate acknowledging a group which can help save the country.

Ok, carry  on discussing.  undecided undecided
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by aljharem2: 2:34am On Jan 22, 2011
eku_bear:

Is it at all possible you can take your Igbo agenda to another thread?

We get the memo; Igbos are Jews, etc, etc, are oppressed in Nigeria, etc, etc.

You sound like a song put on repeat
grin grin grin grin grin

@posters pls ignore onlytruth  he is one big mumu
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by olaolabiy: 2:37am On Jan 22, 2011
Because of this oddball called Onlytruth I am outta this thread. Thanks.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Katsumoto: 2:37am On Jan 22, 2011
asha 80:

but seriously i wonder why most think like these.if most Tunisians thought like this what happened there would never have happened.

Going on the streets is not the solution in Nigeria; Nigerians require a change of mind-set. Toppling a government through protest and sacrifice will only result in new leaders continuing the same old practices. Afterall, Nigeria has had 7 presidents in the time Ben Ali has been president of Tunisia. Think of all those that have died in various protests since 1977. People have made the ultimate sacrifice but not much as changed.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Katsumoto: 2:39am On Jan 22, 2011
ola olabiy:

Because of this oddball called Onlytruth I am outta this thread. Thanks.

Just ignore him; I stated what I did because I wanted it to be obvious to him what he is. Let us continue rubbing minds.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by jason123: 2:42am On Jan 22, 2011
@ Onlytruth

Why now? angry. This was a great topic that I was enjoying before you came! angry
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by ekubear1: 2:43am On Jan 22, 2011
@Onlytruth: If you can save the country, then you should be able to save yourselves, no? And don't use the gov't oppression excuse; Jews have certainly been a lot more oppressed over history than Igbos have. Yet not only have their own country, but have dominated science and industry wherever they go.

If you cannot achieve victory in Nigeria, then perhaps you overrate your talents.

Anyway, I see why lots of people hate Igbo so much. Lots of talk, no action. Nobody likes a person with an ego who cannot back it up. Always a ready excuse in place for failure, though.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Katsumoto: 2:45am On Jan 22, 2011
fstranger1:

I like you lot

we think alike

If Americans thought like Katsumoto, where would America be

Those of us that have taken their citizenship test remember  how ordinary Americans inspire themselves to change the country for good.

They did not run. they stood firm

We all remember Patrick Henry and his famous line: Give me freedom or give me death.

He did not say: Give me freedom or i will run away to look for happiness some where else.

It is because of people like Katsumoto that the country would never move forward.

You are very funny; do you know me? You don't even know where I live. It is always convenient for those out of the country to call for war, anarchy, or any other kind of uprising. You are sat comfortably in the US and you are expecting those at home to go on the streets and die.

Stick to the debate; no need to personalise it.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Katsumoto: 2:46am On Jan 22, 2011
Please ignore OnlyTruth, lets continue with the discussion.
Re: Corruption Not Nigeria’s Bane, Says World Bank by Onlytruth(m): 2:49am On Jan 22, 2011
^^

grin grin grin

How can you ignore the elephant in the room? cool
I am ignoring you! lmao. cool cool leaves them to continue fooling themselves.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

A Nairalander Proffers Solution To Epileptic Power & Unemployment As Seen On TV / Betting On OTHER SPORT. / We Will Name & Shame Commercial Banks Engaged In Illegal Sales Of Dollars – CBN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.