Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,400 members, 7,826,555 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists (1312 Views)

Five (5) Misconceptions About Jehovah's Witnesses. / Theists: Objective Morality, Why Is Something Good? / God Is An Atheist: What Theists Cant argue.Discover God's God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by onlyfacts: 3:41pm On Jun 06, 2020
LordReed:

It doesn't matter one bit because nobody should have the power to enslave another human being. If your god could not instruct the Hebrews to find some other solution then your god is not only not an all wise god, he is no better than a barbarian warlord.

Thank you
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by LordReed(m): 3:44pm On Jun 06, 2020
onlyfacts:

Before the Common Era. War, poverty, and crime were the basic factors that reduced persons to a state of servitude. Captives of war were often constituted slaves by their captors or were sold into slavery by them. (Compare 2Ki 5:2; Joe 3:6.)
The Israelites experienced being captives many times, unlike in modern times where little captives are taken during warfare and almost everyone is killed. Taking captives were a more humane way of stopping the needless killings and wasting of human lives. International peace organizations like the UNO have done a lot in trying to maintain global peace as such, war is no longer a prominent factor that reduced person's into a state of servitude.

So we go from you have misconceptions to full on justifying slavery, wow. As I said if this is what your god could do then he is no better than a barbarian warlord so I don't see why you owe such a being any allegiance unless of course you like the things this being does.
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by LordReed(m): 3:46pm On Jun 06, 2020
onlyfacts:

Thank you

For?
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by Bacteriologist(m): 3:50pm On Jun 06, 2020
LordReed:

You hit the nail bro. Imagine that the so called prince of peace is going to come and turn in his enemies into eternal fires, it boggles the mind that people cannot see the contradiction.

The power of indoctrination and brainwashing. But it's getting better. Do you think more people are asking questions about religion? I think people are getting less scared of religious scare tactics. And that's a really good thing. What are your thoughts?

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by onlyfacts: 3:52pm On Jun 06, 2020
LordReed:

So we go from you have misconceptions to full on justifying slavery, wow. As I said if this is what your god could do then he is no better than a barbarian warlord so I don't see why you owe such a being any allegiance unless of course you like the things this being does.

What I posted was an extract from the first post I made here.

The peaceful nature of today's was not the reality of the past. Conflicts existed a lot in ancient times.

Steady global peace is a driving factor for the abolution of slavery even though it may persist in other forms called modern slavery.
Sex Trafficking,
Child Sex Trafficking.
Forced Labor.
Bonded Labor or Debt Bondage.
Domestic Servitude.
Forced Child Labor.
Unlawful Recruitment and Use of Child Soldiers.etc
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by LordReed(m): 3:56pm On Jun 06, 2020
Bacteriologist:

The power of indoctrination and brainwashing. But it's getting better. Do you think more people are asking questions about religion? I think people are getting less scared of religious scare tactics. And that's a really good thing. What are your thoughts?

Yes I think more and more people are asking questions that religion cannot answer. Mostly because we have access to more information than any other time in human history and also because the world is now a sort of global village. That lack of exposure used to make us think our own small corner of the world was all there was and our experiences the most profound. That access has corrected some of our myopia.
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by LordReed(m): 3:57pm On Jun 06, 2020
onlyfacts:

What I posted was an extract from the first post I made here.

The peaceful nature of today's was not the reality of the past. Conflicts existed a lot in ancient times.

Steady global peace is a driving factor for the abolution of slavery even though it may persist in other forms called modern slavery.
Sex Trafficking,
Child Sex Trafficking.
Forced Labor.
Domestic Servitude.
Forced Child Labor.
Unlawful Recruitment and Use of Child Soldiers.etc

So your god had no hand in abolishing slavery, is that not an indictment on your god?
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by onlyfacts: 4:04pm On Jun 06, 2020
LordReed:

So your god had no hand in abolishing slavery, is that not an indictment on your god?

The title of this post is MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT SLAVERY IN THE BIBLE FOR ATHEIST/THEIST.

This I have explained in details above. The abolishing of slavery is yet another topic that has answers in the Bible. As you have brought it up, I will like to address it in a subsequent post but a topic at a time.
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by LordReed(m): 4:24pm On Jun 06, 2020
onlyfacts:

The title of this post is MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT SLAVERY IN THE BIBLE FOR ATHEIST/THEIST.

This I have explained in details above. The abolishing of slavery is yet another topic that has answers in the Bible. As you have brought it up, I will like to address it in a subsequent post but a topic at a time.

Then you didn't show we have any misconception about slavery. Slavery is owning people as property which your Bible clearly allows.
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by hakeem4(m): 4:35pm On Jun 06, 2020
Haaaaa these guys have started twisting the definition to suit their hidden agenda grin grin
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by onlyfacts: 4:39pm On Jun 06, 2020
LordReed:

Then you didn't show we have any misconception about slavery. Slavery is owning people as property which your Bible clearly allows.

The general idea as to slavery and it's cruelty has been misapplied to the Bible. A slave was treated with regard and not cruelty in the bible and there were clear exit plans form slavery, that is the misconception and not the owning of slaves.
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by onlyfacts: 4:42pm On Jun 06, 2020
hakeem4:
Haaaaa these guys have started twisting the definition to suit their hidden agenda grin grin

Be specific please, pick a place and show workings to the twisting and hidden agenda
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by hakeem4(m): 4:56pm On Jun 06, 2020
onlyfacts:

Be specific please, pick a place and show workings to the twisting and hidden agenda
I don't have anything to respond to what you wrote up there.

The bone of contention is why did god permit those hideous acts before the common era, then secular humanist brought about the abolition of these atrocities in the common era?
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by onlyfacts: 5:03pm On Jun 06, 2020
hakeem4:

The bone of contention is why did god permit those hideous acts before the common era, then secular humanist brought about the abolition of these atrocities in the common era?

Slavery from warfare has reduced but still persists. Captives are still taken from regional conflicts. Modern slavery still exist as:
Sex Trafficking,
Child Sex Trafficking.
Forced Labor.
Domestic Servitude.
Forced Child Labor.
Unlawful Recruitment and UseofChildSoldiers.etc

The International Labour Organization estimates that, by their definitions, over 40 million people are in some form of slavery today. 24.9 million people are in forced labor, of whom 16 million people are exploited in the private sector such as domestic work, construction or agriculture; 4.8 million persons in forced sexual exploitation, and 4 million persons in forced labor imposed by state authorities. 15.4 million people are in forced marriage.
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by LordReed(m): 5:04pm On Jun 06, 2020
onlyfacts:

The general idea as to slavery and it's cruelty has been misapplied to the Bible. A slave was treated with regard and not cruelty in the bible and there were clear exit plans form slavery, that is the misconception and not the owning of slaves.

It doesn't matter how well you think the slaves were treated that is not the primary objection.
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by onlyfacts: 5:05pm On Jun 06, 2020
hakeem4:

Slavery from warfare has reduced but still persists. Captives are still taken from regional conflicts. Modern slavery still exist as:
Sex Trafficking,
Child Sex Trafficking.
Forced Labor.
Domestic Servitude.
Forced Child Labor.
Unlawful Recruitment and UseofChildSoldiers.etc

The International Labour Organization estimates that, by their definitions, over 40 million people are in some form of slavery today. 24.9 million people are in forced labor, of whom 16 million people are exploited in the private sector such as domestic work, construction or agriculture; 4.8 million persons in forced sexual exploitation, and 4 million persons in forced labor imposed by state authorities. 15.4 million people are in forced marriage.
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by onlyfacts: 5:06pm On Jun 06, 2020
LordReed:

It doesn't matter how well you think the slaves were treated that is not the primary objection.

That was what I wrote about, it is clear from my post
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by LordReed(m): 5:21pm On Jun 06, 2020
onlyfacts:

That was what I wrote about, it is clear from my post

Well too bad you didn't have the impact you thought it would. The suffering or otherwise of slaves is not why atheists object to slavery in the Bible.
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by onlyfacts: 5:26pm On Jun 06, 2020
LordReed:

Well too bad you didn't have the impact you thought it would. The suffering or otherwise of slaves is not why atheists object to slavery in the Bible.

If it didn't have an impact on you, it's fine. Others will judge for themselves.
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by Bacteriologist(m): 7:44pm On Jun 06, 2020
LordReed:

Yes I think more and more people are asking questions that religion cannot answer. Mostly because we have access to more information than any other time in human history and also because the world is now a sort of global village. That lack of exposure used to make us think our own small corner of the world was all there was and our experiences the most profound. That access has corrected some of our myopia.

I agree completely. I find the rate at which information spreads in this time and age is really making ignorance -which is essentially what religion thrives on- to die quickly. The future looks bright.
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by LordReed(m): 8:04pm On Jun 06, 2020
Bacteriologist:

I agree completely. I find the rate at which information spreads in this time and age is really making ignorance -which is essentially what religion thrives on- to die quickly. The future looks bright.

Don't expect religion to die quickly or quietly, people like their comforts and hopes for magically enhanced outcomes.
Re: Misconceptions About Slavery In The Bible for Atheists/Theists by MacCantStopMe: 8:12pm On Jun 06, 2020
The op, like many Christians are deluded when it comes to the brutal nature of their bible.

How can a sane person argue that biblical slavery was humane, and even try to give it context?

The only context you need to know is the Israelites or people at the time of the old testament were barbaric. These were people who stoned their children to death for disobedience. They stoned their neighbors for disobeying the sabbath. How do you think they treated their slaves?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gospel Singer Uses , Portable’s “zaazu Zeh” As A Point Of Prayer Poi / Good People Are In Hell And Some Bad People In Heaven. / "is The Bible God's Words?"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.