Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,893 members, 7,814,017 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:19 AM

Venice Submerged Under Water As Italian City Is Hit By Unusual High Tide (Pics) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Venice Submerged Under Water As Italian City Is Hit By Unusual High Tide (Pics) (946 Views)

Damage To US Air Base In Iraq Hit By Iranian Missiles (Satellite Photos) / Iran’s Nuclear Site Hit By Earthquake Of 4.9 Magnitude / US Airbase In Iraq Hit By Rockets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Venice Submerged Under Water As Italian City Is Hit By Unusual High Tide (Pics) by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jun 05, 2020
A quarter of Venice has been submerged by a near-record high tide for June, at a time of year when such flooding is rare.

The lagoon city's iconic St Mark's Square was pictured underwater on Thursday night, as a handful of visitors splashed about in the rain.

The flooding comes just two days after Italy reopened its borders to tourists in an attempt to salvage its summer season following coronavirus lockdown.

It also comes after Venice was hit by flooding three times last year - twice in November and once in December - causing billions in damage.

Italy, like most European countries, are desperately trying to restart their lucrative tourism industries even amidst the coronavirus pandemic in an attempt to save jobs.

Officials in Venice said the water level reached 116cm - 3ft 10ins - late Thursday, the third-highest mark for June. That level indicates that around a quarter of Venice has been flooded.

Venice's sea monitoring agency blamed the unusually high late spring tide on a storm in the Atlantic that brought heavy winds and rain to northern Italy. Another unseasonably high tide is expected on Friday night.

The highest June high tide was registered in 2002, when the water mark hit 121 centimetres, followed by 117 centimetres in June of 2016.

Venice authorities on Friday did not put out pedestrian bridges, which are usually only used in the peak 'acqua alta' season from September to April.

Venice and the rest of Italy are still closed to cruise ships but Italy relaxed travel restrictions for Italians and most Europeans on Wednesday
Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8391945/Quarter-Venice-flooded-just-two-days-Italy-reopened-tourists.html

Re: Venice Submerged Under Water As Italian City Is Hit By Unusual High Tide (Pics) by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jun 05, 2020

Re: Venice Submerged Under Water As Italian City Is Hit By Unusual High Tide (Pics) by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jun 05, 2020
shocked

Re: Venice Submerged Under Water As Italian City Is Hit By Unusual High Tide (Pics) by PricyTech: 8:34pm On Jun 05, 2020
This isn't submerged nahhhh...

Abi we don't know the difinition of submerged again. That just a city shallowly flooded . If you said submerged,that means the water swallowed the city up.

Last last simple English no simple at all.
Re: Venice Submerged Under Water As Italian City Is Hit By Unusual High Tide (Pics) by rottennaija(m): 8:44pm On Jun 05, 2020
Italy has suffered this year! From coronavirus to flooding. Who did they offend?
Re: Venice Submerged Under Water As Italian City Is Hit By Unusual High Tide (Pics) by Jolson: 8:48pm On Jun 05, 2020
Strange things happening all tilting towards the end of the.. ...world.
Re: Venice Submerged Under Water As Italian City Is Hit By Unusual High Tide (Pics) by samincredible44(m): 8:49pm On Jun 05, 2020
op its flooded not submerged.the only natural disasters we have in Nigeria now is bubu,police force,NEPA and access bank(does idiots keep deducting my money anyhow).

1 Like

Re: Venice Submerged Under Water As Italian City Is Hit By Unusual High Tide (Pics) by sagitariusbaby(m): 8:51pm On Jun 05, 2020
2020 be gone already, we are tired of you.
Re: Venice Submerged Under Water As Italian City Is Hit By Unusual High Tide (Pics) by daddytime(m): 8:52pm On Jun 05, 2020
I don kukuma accept say 2020 na only 3 months e carry.

It is well and we still thank God for life.
Re: Venice Submerged Under Water As Italian City Is Hit By Unusual High Tide (Pics) by Greyworld: 8:54pm On Jun 05, 2020
samincredible44:
op its flooded not submerged.the only natural disasters we have in Nigeria now is bubu,police force,NEPA and access bank(does idiots keep deducting my money anyhow).

Try UBA, they can deduct sm1s destiny.
Re: Venice Submerged Under Water As Italian City Is Hit By Unusual High Tide (Pics) by espn(m): 9:03pm On Jun 05, 2020
I do t even know what to type anymore...
Re: Venice Submerged Under Water As Italian City Is Hit By Unusual High Tide (Pics) by lastempero: 9:32pm On Jun 05, 2020
Fear don catch me self, i want vist there soon.
Re: Venice Submerged Under Water As Italian City Is Hit By Unusual High Tide (Pics) by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jun 05, 2020
VENICE is known for such.
Re: Venice Submerged Under Water As Italian City Is Hit By Unusual High Tide (Pics) by Freestainworld(m): 9:43pm On Jun 05, 2020
every country with their own problem.
Re: Venice Submerged Under Water As Italian City Is Hit By Unusual High Tide (Pics) by austine4real(m): 8:58am On Jun 06, 2020
Where are the pastors that prophesied that 2020 is our year ??

Re: Venice Submerged Under Water As Italian City Is Hit By Unusual High Tide (Pics) by McGg: 9:44am On Jun 06, 2020
Only if Aba were to be like this after the rains
Re: Venice Submerged Under Water As Italian City Is Hit By Unusual High Tide (Pics) by Righteousness89(m): 4:07pm On Jun 06, 2020
Just this year
Libya, Lebano hit with war

USA, U.K., Lebano hit with Protest

Nigeria hit Slaughtering of Humans

The whole world hit Corona Virus

Btw May and June, Flood has Disfigured Cities in India, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Yemen , Norway, Brazil, Kenya, Rwanda and More..

Noah Ark has been hitting on my Mind for sometime..

Something Huge is About to Hit The Earth!

The Only way to Escape the Destruction coming on the Earth is to Have JESUS..

The only way to Make The Rapture is to Havr JESUS CHRIST..

Two days ago I got About early in the morning btw 4-5 am . I noticed was the Moon was shining sooo bright. I went to window just to look at the shining moon and what I saw shocked me. I saw a Cross at the back of the moon. The moon was like at the center of the cross.

I tried to take a photo and this is what came out!

The signs are everywhere! Signs in the moon,etc

Get Ready!

#WeFlySoon

Re: Venice Submerged Under Water As Italian City Is Hit By Unusual High Tide (Pics) by Goahead(m): 10:50pm On Jun 06, 2020
Venice is a failed experiment, sewage goes directly into the canals. That place smells like Iwaya in Lagos.
Re: Venice Submerged Under Water As Italian City Is Hit By Unusual High Tide (Pics) by Raydos: 7:38pm On Jun 10, 2020
G

(1) (Reply)

Battle Tanks: T-90ms VS M1A2 Abrams. Who Would Win? / Ex-president Of Niger Officially Resign / Immigration Deports S'african Over Abuse Of Expatriate Quota

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.