Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,953 members, 7,835,181 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:42 AM

Why There Is An Increase In The Divorce Rate In Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why There Is An Increase In The Divorce Rate In Nigeria (1953 Views)

High Divorce Rate Amongst Lesbians Marriages / World Divorce Rate: Top Countries Will Shock You / Countries With Lowest And Highest Divorce Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why There Is An Increase In The Divorce Rate In Nigeria by 24hrsReport: 2:30pm On Jun 06, 2020
Why there is an increase in the divorce rate in Nigeria. The rate at which couples divorce in Nigeria is low compared to the western world. But comparing the present Nigerian divorce numbers to the last 10 years, we can say it’s high.
The National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) has stated, the divorce statistics in Nigeria shows that 0.2% of men and 0.3% of women decide to end their marriages.

Here are some reasons why the divorce rates are high;

Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence is a problem in many parts of Africa. In some parts of Nigeria, there is a deep traditional belief that it is socially acceptable for a husband to hit his wife to discipline her.

Read More: https://24hrsreport.com/2020/06/06/divorce-rate-in-nigeria/

Re: Why There Is An Increase In The Divorce Rate In Nigeria by SirMichael1: 2:35pm On Jun 06, 2020
Cause marriage seemingly is no longer sacred and vows means nothing anymore.

1 Like

Re: Why There Is An Increase In The Divorce Rate In Nigeria by habsydiamond(m): 2:38pm On Jun 06, 2020
the major reason is lack of communication among the couple. if there is communication among them, they will understand eachother very well.
Re: Why There Is An Increase In The Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jun 06, 2020
habsydiamond:
the major reason is lack of communication among the couple. if there is communication among them, they will understand eachother very well.
U have a point, but Let's wait for the END-TIMERS...
Re: Why There Is An Increase In The Divorce Rate In Nigeria by IamAuntyOnion(f): 6:29pm On Jun 06, 2020
habsydiamond:
the major reason is lack of communication among the couple.
it isn't about communication, it's lack of loyalty and dishonesty

3 Likes

Re: Why There Is An Increase In The Divorce Rate In Nigeria by merieam16(f): 10:30pm On Jun 06, 2020
cos women er no longer taking shit like our mothers

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why There Is An Increase In The Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Ugaboy: 11:13pm On Jun 06, 2020
merieam16:
cos women er no longer taking shit like our mothers
u mean ur father gave ur mother shit

8 Likes

Re: Why There Is An Increase In The Divorce Rate In Nigeria by merieam16(f): 6:21pm On Jun 07, 2020
Ugaboy:
u mean ur father gave ur mother shit
use ur brain

4 Likes

Re: Why There Is An Increase In The Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jun 07, 2020
Alot of people marry for wrong reasons. Such as: he is rich. I'm getting old. All my friends are married. She's beautiful. She's from a wealthy home. He's cute. I'm tired of being alone. My parents are on my neck. I want to show them I'm married too. I want to feel responsible. All these reasons alone can not sustain marriage.

The moment we start thinking towards how to improve his/her life. How to make them a better person by marrying them, everything will start changing for good.

8 Likes

Re: Why There Is An Increase In The Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Ugaboy: 7:14pm On Jun 07, 2020
merieam16:
use ur brain
excuse me

1 Like

Re: Why There Is An Increase In The Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Ugaboy: 7:14pm On Jun 07, 2020
merieam16:
use ur brain
excuse me
Re: Why There Is An Increase In The Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jun 07, 2020
Because "I'm in love"
It takes more than butterflies to make a marriage work.
Re: Why There Is An Increase In The Divorce Rate In Nigeria by highbee02: 9:23pm On Jun 07, 2020
infidelity, economic reason, psychological immaturity etc.
Re: Why There Is An Increase In The Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Abcruz(m): 12:36am On Jun 08, 2020
Some got married to good pretenders.

Some got married to beauty without character.

Some thought their partners will change but can a leopard change it's spot?.

Some got married to money and when money left honey ceased.

Some refused to compromise for peaceful coexistence.

Some thought love was blind but now it can see.

Some thought love was merely a feeling until it expired.

4 Likes

Re: Why There Is An Increase In The Divorce Rate In Nigeria by Sixfeetbelle: 2:05am On Jun 08, 2020
First, they were enjoying what should be enjoyed only in marriage while single. So once they get married and do it twice with their spouse, it becomes stale and they start looking for fresh meat, thus ignoring their partners who may feel neglected..

Second, men in this side of the equator are doggedly seeking for something they can't swallow once it ripens. The demand for financially independent ladies will remove certain virtues that should have been more important in marriage. This 50/50 rule that sounds fancy now will end in disruption, most especially in marriages with egotistical men. Before you argue, compare marriages of old with those of civilised countries.

Furthermore, the world is global now. There's more opportunities and options to be much more than whatever the society marked for a person. While some start of content while being in line with that order and getting married, they soon realise, by unconscious comparison to their mates, that they could be so much more, especially ones that come with less responsibility.

In summary, let's stop seeking reasons why marriages fail. Instead, let's find ways to imbibe marriage as a choice rather than a must so those who genuinely want marriage can have it and uphold it.

Thank you

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why There Is An Increase In The Divorce Rate In Nigeria by KanwuliaExtra: 4:20am On Jun 08, 2020
1. USING MATRIMONY TO ESCAPE POVERTY.

2. REPLICATING MISTAKES BY USING WESTERN/EXOTIC TEMPLATES OF MATRIMONY.

3. GENDER ROLES CONFUSION IN MARRIAGE.

4. WOMEN BEING MORE EDUCATED AND INDEPENDENT AND THE INABILITY OF BOTH MEN AND WOMEN TO ADJUST AND COMPROMISE ACCORDINGLY.

5. THE APPLICATION OF LUDICROUS RELIGIOUS AND ARCHAIC TRADITIONAL DOGMA THAT HAVE LOST RELEVANCE IN MARRIAGE.

*domestic violence is only a secondary factor resulting from the above factors*

3 Likes

Re: Why There Is An Increase In The Divorce Rate In Nigeria by LewsTherin: 9:25am On Jun 08, 2020
24hrsReport:

The National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) has stated, the divorce statistics in Nigeria shows that 0.2% of men and 0.3% of women decide to end their marriages.

I'm missing something here. How is this a high rate of divorce?
Re: Why There Is An Increase In The Divorce Rate In Nigeria by wisdomiskey(m): 12:22pm On Jun 08, 2020
.. Because Men are realising it's not worth buying the whole cow when you can get the milk (and even meat sef) for free.

5 Likes

Re: Why There Is An Increase In The Divorce Rate In Nigeria by mumumugu(m): 6:36pm On Jun 08, 2020
missdivineprove:
Alot of people marry for wrong reasons. Such as: he is rich. I'm getting old. All my friends are married. She's beautiful. She's from a wealthy home. He's cute. I'm tired of being alone. My parents are on my neck. I want to show them I'm married too. I want to feel responsible. All these reasons alone can not sustain marriage.

The moment we start thinking towards how to improve his/her life. How to make them a better person by marrying them, everything will start changing for good.

before why do people marry? was the reason right?
Re: Why There Is An Increase In The Divorce Rate In Nigeria by frozen70(f): 2:11am On Jun 09, 2020
habsydiamond:

That's true, lack of communication has brought lots of problems in marriage
Re: Why There Is An Increase In The Divorce Rate In Nigeria by habsydiamond(m): 3:45pm On Jun 09, 2020
IamAuntyOnion:
it isn't about communication, it's lack of loyalty and dishonesty
when there is no communication thats when disloyalty and dishonesty will come in. there is a saying' shared problem is half solved. if there is communication, problems that ought to come might have been quenched.
Re: Why There Is An Increase In The Divorce Rate In Nigeria by uglodoh(f): 9:00pm On Jun 09, 2020
A man and a woman getting married for selfish reasons.

(1) (Reply)

Have You Ever Cut Off A Family Member / Nigerian Women Like To Be Owned By Men! True Or False / Mother Dresses So Wrong And Kids May Folllow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.