Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,631 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:55 PM

Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS (12050 Views)

Nigeria’s Unemployment Rate Rises To 5% – NBS / Your employees don’t hate their jobs, they don’t just like you / Nine Things Nigerian Bankers Hate About Their Jobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by ODJ124(m): 1:59pm On Jun 08, 2020
isoright....

*I think my landlord is cleaning the house for me l found all my property outiside*���

Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by apexx4176: 2:00pm On Jun 08, 2020
Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by Ghostmode2two(m): 2:01pm On Jun 08, 2020
Its a worldwide thing
Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by Brian88x: 2:02pm On Jun 08, 2020
Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by YADNUS11: 2:03pm On Jun 08, 2020
Which JOB!
we have been jobless since 1960.

The only job in naija is POLITICS

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by wink2015(m): 2:03pm On Jun 08, 2020
Not less than four in every ten Nigerians (42 per cent) who were working before the outbreak of coronavirus in the country lost their jobs due to the impact of COVID-19, in April, an NBS survey found.

This estimate includes respondents in the poorest households, where about 5 in 10 (45 per cent) stopped working due to COVID-19, and the wealthiest households, where about 4 in 10 (39 per cent) lost their jobs.

The former bracket is where Folarin Adewole belongs. He said he was one of the outsourced staff laid off by Access Bank last month.

Although he received full payment for May, he said he “feels bad and very unusual” that that might be his last.

The National Longitudinal Phone Survey (NLPS) on the socioeconomic effects of COVID-19 on Nigerian households was conducted between April 20 and May 11, a time range that coincided with a federally mandated lockdown, initiated on March 30.

It is the first of a planned 12 waves of the COVID-19 NLPS of households in Nigeria, where 3,000 households from the 2018/19 General Household Survey — Panel were contacted and 1,950 households were fully interviewed.

The survey also found that the commerce, service and agriculture sectors were the most hit by COVID-19.

Specifically, households earning from non-farm businesses lost their jobs the most, with 9 in 10 (85% per cent) families saying a member of their household lost their job. Likewise, in households engaged in farming, livestock or fishing, about 7 in 10 (73 per cent) said a member of their household lost their job. Among wage earners, about 6 in 10 (58 per cent) families said a member of their household lost their job.

More so, the National Bureau of Statistics said about 8 in every 10 persons interviewed (79 per cent) said that their households’ total income decreased since mid-March.

Within seven days prior to the survey (April 13 to 19), the report found that the range of 35-59 per cent of households who needed to buy staple foods like yam, rice and beans said they were not able to buy them.

Affordability aside, increase in the prices of major food items reduced the purchasing power of 85 per cent (about 9 in 10) of households since the coronavirus outbreak. This pales when compared to only 19 per cent (2 in 10) between January 2017 and January 2019.

As a result, in the bid to absorb the widespread shocks, half (51 per cent) of all households resorted to reduction in their food consumption.

Daniel Denis, 32, is a porter at Lagos State Teaching Hospital (LUTH) whose salary was recently slashed by half, to N15,000. The father of a 9-year-old daughter told PREMIUM TIMES he “barely feeds once a day” due to this.

“Experience of economic shocks in the few months after the outbreak of coronavirus far exceeds shocks experienced between 2017 and 2019,” the survey which is part of a World Bank global effort to support countries’ data collection efforts to monitor the impact of COVID-19, said.

The economic strain on many households due to COVID-19 is further worsened by a dip in their access to medical treatment. Approximately a quarter of all households were not able to access medical treatment when they needed it during the lockdown, the report said.

On the educational front, among households with children attending school prior to the nationwide closure in March, 62 per cent said that their children had engaged in any learning and educational activities since the closure.

Respondents are generally aware of important preventive measures against coronavirus such as handwashing (97 per cent), avoiding gatherings (90 per cent) and social distancing (89 per cent).

In Mr Adewole’s case, he said although regular staff were not laid off by his employers, but, he, an “outsourced staff”, was. I had hoped CBN’s order that banks must not lay off their workers would be a saving grace, but that wasn’t the case.

With that out of the picture, he “expected the bank to just pay us off, (so that) one can start a new life, considering the timing of the lay off.”

But that, too, was not to be.

Source: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/396472-coronavirus-about-4-in-10-nigerians-lost-their-jobs-in-april-nbs.html

THERE WERE FEWER JOBS BEFORE CORONAVIRUS.

Coronavirus made it worse.

BUHARI AND HIS CABALS are clueless on the aspect of economic growth.

They spent time fighting creative governors like Obaseki, Ambode etc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by apexx9286: 2:04pm On Jun 08, 2020
[color=#] 4202829[/color]
Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by engrjacuzzi: 2:06pm On Jun 08, 2020
Apart from the lawmakers that their salaries and allowances weren't slashed rather still have the temerity to seek for loan thereby causing huge debts for younger generation.
Unemployment and Recession are Nigeria's biggest challenge right now

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by ProfAmaben(m): 2:14pm On Jun 08, 2020
Very wrong analysis. We don't have accurate data in this country. Guesswork at best.
Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by droidview: 2:17pm On Jun 08, 2020
This is the effect of covid19.It affects all sectors.

Meanwhile, find out the truth about Google ADMOB without cheating or ban:

https://www.nairaland.com/5902582/google-admob-how-it-right
Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by apexx3127: 2:17pm On Jun 08, 2020
Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by apexx172: 2:23pm On Jun 08, 2020
Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by FrankBass281(m): 2:25pm On Jun 08, 2020
to those that lost your jobs,just know that something bigger and better is coming your way, don't give up,just believe
Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by Vulcan24(m): 2:26pm On Jun 08, 2020
before corona in Nov/Dec 2019, I discovered 2020 economic gloom.

Household and Companies were under grudge of overhead and bankruptcy

mergers, acquisition,s rationalization and closure was already staring us in the face.

the fake economic outlook they projected was dealing on macro economics.

today the corona shake exposed the hypocrisy of our economic growth. there was no real growth and no real increase ......

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by OhiOfIhima: 2:27pm On Jun 08, 2020
I don't even know my status as of now... I have tired of staying at home for this Covid 19. I just resume office thinking my Oga will see the need to that unfortunately she left me heartbroken today because the matter has taken a new direction.
Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by johnmattew: 2:28pm On Jun 08, 2020
Throwback:
Big lie.

Except they meant temporarily out of job due to lockdown restriction in April.
u are the only one making sense here....the statistics is very nonsensical.many people were at home,and that doesnt mean they lost their jobs
Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by tellsblinks(m): 2:32pm On Jun 08, 2020
tellsblinks:
ZYBAH SWEETBITES would be organizing an ONLINE BAKING CLASS.

grab this opportunity and become a professional baker

learn everything In baking a cake and start earning for your self

During the class you would learn the following
-Full time mentorship
-red velvet cake
-vanilla cake
- chocolate cake
-cupcakes

bonus include
breadrolls and meat pies

DATE; 8TH OF JULY 2020
VENUE; WHATSAPP ( with live videos)

for more information contact via whatsApp 0906 644 6972 or CLICK HERE
Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by Okoeshin: 2:34pm On Jun 08, 2020
And 3/6 of the remaining haven’t received salary yet or Salary has been slashed.
Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jun 08, 2020
Matrimonous:
Braze up, guys.
Self-employment is the key to lasting success and happiness. Learn skills that makes you your own boss and grow from there. The internet is rich in opportunities. Many have resigned from their day jobs before the advent of COVID-19.
You may never know what you are capable of till you give it a try. Think out of the box. Some of you depending on monthly stipends are mega lions, born to excel on anything they set their minds on.
Unleash that entrepreneurial spirit in you and excel.

Truer words have never been said. Respect bro cool

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by Fheelzz(m): 2:51pm On Jun 08, 2020
the funniest thing is nigeria has the source to feed everyone in the country to satisfaction yet our leaders want it to themself
nigeria shd divide abeg
Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by Nchenches: 2:54pm On Jun 08, 2020
But who’s this information for?

The man in Aso Rock leading Nigeria does not seem to understand that job for Nigerians is what he was elected to creat.

Real leaders check daily employment/unemployment figures to know what next action to take to better the employment figures.

Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by Op80: 2:55pm On Jun 08, 2020
Baba4kinatu:
While 9 out of every 10 was forced to take a pay cut.

Despite dollar skyrocketing like speed of sound
I joined the league of workers with pay cut which will start this month. My joy is that I have not been going to work, so, I have been saving a lot of money from transport and feeding
Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by seborrhic: 3:06pm On Jun 08, 2020
@Esseite So u had to copy everything? You should be amongts one of those that lost their jobs.
Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by TOPCRUISE(m): 3:10pm On Jun 08, 2020
They will impregnate their wives because of this and we will be awaiting many naming ceremonies in the next 9 to 10 months
Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by manforgu: 3:13pm On Jun 08, 2020
Maybe more...
Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by Baba4kinatu(m): 3:17pm On Jun 08, 2020
BuhariNaWah:

Ask me why i no buy dollar for January?! angry

Why?

But buy now, this economic guys have no answers to curb the rate at which dollar is still going high. cBN is projected to reach 450 by December, which means Aboki rate will do a nearly 600 or more
Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by Baba4kinatu(m): 3:19pm On Jun 08, 2020
Op80:

I joined the league of workers with pay cut which will start this month. My joy is that I have not been going to work, so, I have been saving a lot of money from transport and feeding

So sorry about your plight. Many employers are taking advantage of this work at home thing to save more cost and reduce their opex. Yet their profit and financial projections and still the same

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by Naijaarchive(m): 3:38pm On Jun 08, 2020
Covid-19 really dealing with us
Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by Alabaarowolo: 3:45pm On Jun 08, 2020
Breaking: Panic grips many as six NDDC staff test positive for Coronavirus
Up to six staff of Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) have been confirmed positive for coronavirus.
https://www.blueprint.ng/breaking-anxiety-as-six-nddc-staff-test-positive-for-coronavirus/

Re: Coronavirus: 4 In 10 Nigerians Lost Their Jobs In April - NBS by COMPAQ(m): 3:47pm On Jun 08, 2020
softset:
How did they carry out this study ? How can you day 40% of Nigerians lost their jobs.

That's just not a fact. Yes people lost their jobs, which is very sad but 40% .... common

To be honest I am a bit skeptical of that as well. I wonder what exactly their metric of unemployment is.

Considering that no one in government lost a job, so how could 4 in 10 lose job? CBN stopped job losses in banks, so could 4 in 10 lose jobs. And I really didn't hear many companies severing staff. Markets, supermarkets, pharmacies and hospitals were allowed to open. as well as farmers and police, army, airforce, navy and so I am a bit sceptical of this 4 in 10.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? / He Hasn't Been Promoted After Many Years In The Force / 14 Easy Ways To Stay Awake At Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.