Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,982 members, 7,814,348 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:26 AM

Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? (12025 Views)

Top 20 Nigerian CEOs And The Courses They Studied In School / America’s Top 13 Ceos And The Courses They Studied In School (photos) / Are You Practicing The Course You Studied In School? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Yashita: 8:33pm On Oct 10, 2023
Why?

Life is just funny, sometimes I wonder why we struggle to achieve something and end up not using it.

My friend studied engineering, worked in power sector for 4 years, travelled out to teach English language, now working as a marketer for a company 😩😩😩😩😩

Life is funny.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by adebayo987: 8:45pm On Oct 10, 2023
Because majority of us study what we were told to study and not what was inborn.

55 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by FreeStuffsNG: 8:50pm On Oct 10, 2023
Yashita:
Why?

Life is just funny, sometimes I wonder why we struggle to achieve something and end up not using it.

My friend studied engineering, worked in power sector for 4 years, travelled out to teach English language, now working as a marketer for a company 😩😩😩😩😩

Life is funny.
Most of those who don't practice actually studied non professional courses. Not all courses are ones with professional license to practice. If you study accounting, you are not yet a Professional until you get ICAN, ANAN etc license to practice.

Some courses are just there like Zoology that you can hardly practice as a zoologist while some are just plain like Business Administration, Marketing etc. Some professional careers with license are not even available for study in universities. Nothing beats being a Professional though.

The major thing is to have clarity about your life, know where you are going and willing to make all the right and legitimate sacrifices to get there. Two things you can't afford to miss; read the right books and intentionally seek and keep only quality people around you. Check my signature for free stuffs!

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by freemanq(m): 8:54pm On Oct 10, 2023
Because Nigeria is not for us

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by chariisGRACE(m): 7:23am On Oct 11, 2023
The country doesn't have working departments for you to practice what you studied.

You are also at blame because, despite knowing that the chances of you practicing what you studied is 1%, you still went on to study it. That means, you knew that you weren't going to practice what you studied.

We have panic-buying, there is another one people don't know - panic-schooling.

It is when a lot of people go to school because they feel like it is their last chance to gain admission. In the process, they pick what ever course to study, as long as it gives them access to go to college and become a 'graduate'.

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by BarrElChapo(m): 3:11pm On Oct 11, 2023
Dearth of jobs suitable to practice the course studied.

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by izubext007: 3:12pm On Oct 11, 2023
The situation in Nigeria πŸ‡³πŸ‡¬ can change my body's destiny ta any time.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Kobojunkie: 3:12pm On Oct 11, 2023
Yashita:
Why? Life is just funny, sometimes I wonder why we struggle to achieve something and end up not using it.

My friend studied engineering, worked in power sector for 4 years, travelled out to teach English language, now working as a marketer for a company 😩😩😩😩😩 Life is funny
Because the vast majority of Nigerians lack basic creativity abilities. they have a seriously hard time thinking outside of the box even when their life depends on it. The creative thinking process is lost to so many probably because the educational system does not support it and as such most Nigerians are only good at copy-pasting that which has worker for others. undecided

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by SIXTEENTH(m): 3:13pm On Oct 11, 2023
You want to practice what you study at school on an unemployment level abi, or you just needed something doing to put things at place

1 Like

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by pongwa(m): 3:13pm On Oct 11, 2023
Nigeria happened to us
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Kukutente23: 3:14pm On Oct 11, 2023
I'm practicing what I studied

Most who fall into that category are those that couldn't get to study their choice course in school.

The rest because they couldn't get the jobs that can meet their expectations in their chosen sector.

By and large, Nigeria has a very dysfunctional system. Nothing is usually in its right place. And that's why we're not making the kind of progress we should make as a country

9 Likes

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by WarHorse1(m): 3:14pm On Oct 11, 2023
Because universities did not give us what we wanted to study.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Kobojunkie: 3:14pm On Oct 11, 2023
SIXTEENTH:
You want to practice what you study at school on an unemployment level abi, or you just needed something doing to put things at place
That is what common sense should lead you to doing. Use what you know to do best to create for yourself what you need. undecided
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by paxonel(m): 3:15pm On Oct 11, 2023
In Nigeria, life happens to everyone by chance.
Only those who have the opportunity gets what they want

1 Like

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Kobojunkie: 3:15pm On Oct 11, 2023
WarHorse1:
Because universities did not give us what we wanted to study.
Even a linguistics graduate has so much he can do with the skills acquired. So stop making excuses. undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by yordha(m): 3:17pm On Oct 11, 2023
I'm still asking myself why I went to the university in the first place, if I could get back the money I spent in the university and return my certificate to the sch, I would do it. I'll instead invest the money in a business and spend the extra years to acquire different skill.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by kunle75(m): 3:18pm On Oct 11, 2023
Yashita:
Why?

Life is funny.

Because in my opinion, the technical education that was available in the early days are gone.
It would have helped greatly if such institutions are not moribund. So sad though.
I have people I know who have to go back to tech school for different degrees here in the state to study and are successful now with their trades.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by CJStarz: 3:18pm On Oct 11, 2023
Nigerian factor. A botanist is working in a bank. Why? His uncle,who is the GM of the bank,fixed him in.

A Health Officer ends up teaching in a private school. Why? He couldn't give the #300,000 bribe to secure a civil service job in his state.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Cassandraloius: 3:18pm On Oct 11, 2023
As far as it's Nigeria forget it.
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by judedwriter(m): 3:19pm On Oct 11, 2023
Na condition make crayfish bend....

Besides, we have too many job seekers than job creators.
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by BigDawsNet: 3:21pm On Oct 11, 2023
Because in Nigeria... the country economy will decide your career/survival for you..

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Kukutente23: 3:21pm On Oct 11, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Even a linguistics graduate has so much he can do with the skills acquired. So stop making excuses. undecided
Not in Nigeria sha
A sitting gov once cancelled teaching of languages in public schools.
He said anyone who wants to learn any language should meet their parents
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by EmmyMaestro(m): 3:24pm On Oct 11, 2023
chariisGRACE:
The country doesn't have working departments for you to practice what you studied.

You are also at blame because, despite knowing that the chances of you practicing what you studied is 1%, you still went on to study it. That means, you knew that you weren't going to practice what you studied.

We have panic-buying, there is another one people don't know - panic-schooling.

It is when a lot of people go to school because they feel like it is their last chance to gain admission. In the process, they pick what ever course to study, as long as it gives them access to go to college and become a 'graduate'.

And universities in their desire to make money from school fees take advantage of the panic schooling and give a lot of admissions and even introduce courses that they know are not marketable so you'll have sense of belonging and follow your mates and answer student

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Okiton: 3:24pm On Oct 11, 2023
cheesy

Dae play

Where will a biochemistry graduate like me find a practing job in Nigeria?

Na infotech person dae do currently
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Harrynight(m): 3:27pm On Oct 11, 2023
cool

Blame it on the system in this shiithole
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Kobojunkie: 3:27pm On Oct 11, 2023
yordha:
I'm still asking myself why I went to the university in the first place, if I could get back the money I spent in the university and return my certificate to the sch, I would do it. I'll instead invest the money in a business and spend the extra years to acquire different skill.
What was your major in college? undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Kobojunkie: 3:28pm On Oct 11, 2023
Okiton:
cheesy Dae play Where will a biochemistry graduate like me find a practing job in Nigeria? Na infotech person dae do currently
You people have knowledge yet you choose to waste your lives, why? With a degree in biochemistry, there is so much you can get yourself busy doing β€” research even β€” right where you are to build your selves, lives and resumes. undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by Kobojunkie: 3:30pm On Oct 11, 2023
Kukutente23:
Not in Nigeria sha A sitting gov once cancelled teaching of languages in public schools.
He said anyone who wants to learn any language should meet their parents
Stop filling yourself with meaningless excuses! Ask yourself instead what you can do with the skills you already have in your hands. If you can't do it yourself, ask chatgpt for help on ideas of how you can get into projects and market yourself, or even come together with others in the same boat to start something. undecided
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by AZControversial(m): 3:34pm On Oct 11, 2023
cool

No proper orientation......

Lack of the needed infrastructure to practice.....
Re: Why Do Majority Of Us End Up Not Practicing What We Studied In The University? by iLegendd(m): 3:36pm On Oct 11, 2023
A wise man knows a university degree is only to avoid insult and mockery in the future from "name-callers" and to make parents or future children proud.

The real deal is money and wisdom β€” you can get them out of school premises. With this, a wise man doesn't focus on making money with his degree, but making his family proud with it.

28 Likes 7 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom Sacks Medical Doctor For Theft Of Beds In Hospital / 5 Ways To Maintain A Work-life Balance / Should I Go For A Masters Degree Or Remain Jobless At Home?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.