Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,003 members, 7,817,968 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:25 AM

Nigerian Doctors To Begin Nationwide Strike June 15 Amid COVID-19 - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerian Doctors To Begin Nationwide Strike June 15 Amid COVID-19 (21566 Views)

573 New COVID-19 Cases, 129 Discharged And 4 Deaths On June 15 - (2079 Tested) / More Doctors To Leave Nigeria As COVID-19 Gets Worse In USA / Doctors To Embark On Nationwide Strike Over NUC’s PhD Directive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Doctors To Begin Nationwide Strike June 15 Amid COVID-19 by Aksnoopy: 9:29pm On Jun 08, 2020
Correcto:
Mumu don't go and read your book. Keep exaggerating. If are not motivate to study hard in the medical school, you can never be serious with your life.
No need for insult, I am practising already. I graduated couple of years ago, so show some respect pls.
Re: Nigerian Doctors To Begin Nationwide Strike June 15 Amid COVID-19 by apatheticme(f): 9:32pm On Jun 08, 2020
Re: Nigerian Doctors To Begin Nationwide Strike June 15 Amid COVID-19 by Correcto: 9:32pm On Jun 08, 2020
Nice to know you are practicing but it will be nicer to see you talk like one.
Aksnoopy:
No need for insult, I am practising already. I graduated couple of years ago, so show some respect pls.
Re: Nigerian Doctors To Begin Nationwide Strike June 15 Amid COVID-19 by Correcto: 9:34pm On Jun 08, 2020
I see only frustration here. Enjoy your strike. Looking for statistics lol.
apatheticme:

U have nothing upstairs, so go and rest!

No points, no statistics, no facts, no evidence based discourse!

Just repeating same redundant line!

Anyone who has an opinion or negates you must be 'a child'. U're the only one who is right.

Pele oh, ancient of days!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Doctors To Begin Nationwide Strike June 15 Amid COVID-19 by tyav7: 9:34pm On Jun 08, 2020
BEFORE YOU CASTIGATE THE DOCTORS GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT!
- As beautifully written by a colleague. Its rumoured that the presidential task force (PTF) receives #450k per day ( not month) as allowance per person . Whereas health workers , pre covid 19, are on 5k hazard allowance per month ( flat rate ) for all, irrespective of your status.
When the pandemic started , with heat from the senate president , the hazard allowance was reviewed as follow
* 70% of basic salary for all front line workers
* 50% of basic salary for other clinical staff that are not front line workers
* 10% of basic salary for non clinical hospital staff.
The government promised to kick off the payment from March and review it again after the pandemic ( till now nothing has been paid)
- life insurance for health workers was also part of the demands
More than 10 doctors have died from this virus with hundrends exposed ( even myself ) and over 300 infected ( figure of the infected health workers are surely under reported)
In my centre currently, about 5 resident doctors are receiving treatment in our isolation unit
No PPE , most of the time ,we buy face shield, mask etc out of pockets ( some people are smiling at their bank accounts every blessed day )
* You need to know that many of the resident doctors are young , with little children , wives , husband , old parents at home , experience with LASSA FEVER has shown that this country is not worth dying for
Most of the structures in our secondary and tertiary hospitals are dead . Surgeons, most times bring their Instruments to the theatre to operate patients
- When the pandemic started federal government ordered that the retired but still active health workers should be temporarily called back to render service and support the fight against the virus ; alas , Jos university teaching hospital (JUTH) sacked about 26 resident doctors claiming they have out stayed their welcome in the training at the heat of the pandemic
- WHAT NOW PROMPTED THIS ACTION ?
About 3 days ago, the PTF , had a meeting with NARD , the out come of the meeting was that there is no money in the federation purse to pay the health workers as promised , life insurance ,not done.
They claimed they have to revisit the agreement , however that the federal government is planing something robust for the health workers .
27billion naira was just approved, to renovate the national Assembly
Very huge amount of money was just given out to renovate NTA
It is obvious that this pandemic has not taught us any lesson as a nation .
Obviously when the borders are opened, they will resume the medical tourism as usual.
The only language they understand is industrial action!
Re: Nigerian Doctors To Begin Nationwide Strike June 15 Amid COVID-19 by ferdvict2(m): 10:47pm On Jun 08, 2020
[quote author=Picardor2 post=90446839][/quote]
Yes, how much are they paid?
Re: Nigerian Doctors To Begin Nationwide Strike June 15 Amid COVID-19 by HoliMaree: 10:52pm On Jun 08, 2020
shegzieflex:

Doc you get time answering these ignorant folks. Many of them, at the slightest opportunity, spew trash at doctors for one singular reason; they are frustrated! Many envy doctors for just being doctors!
I've read several comments from these ignorant dudes and all I can do is laugh. They obviously don't know what it means to be a medical doctor in this country. They don't know many of us are writing foreign exams so we can leave this country for them; after all one idiot above said we are half-baked grin cheesy
Two days ago I had to attend to a woman with suspected COVID-19 infection (still awaiting the result but her symptoms are highly suggestive), come and see the so called PPE I was given! We at the battle front struggle to have the right PPE, and you see the politicians wearing the N95 facemasks in their offices!! You pay a doctor #5000 as hazard allowance for managing highly contagious diseases, and the politicians earn enormous allowances for newspapers,wardrobe, travels e.t.c! Then when the doctor voices out the masses, who will still run to the doctor when they fall sick, will be the first to call them unprintable names! What a shame of a country!
Till today, I'm being owed up to six months salary and not sure if it will be paid; yet I work!
The best we can do is to ignore the rantings of these ignorant folks, after all even fools are entitled to their opinions. grin

Why don't you become a politician? you're supposed to be one since that's the only thing in your mind. The government subsidized your tuition fee, if you studied medicine abroad you would have to opt for student loan that is if they will allow you study it. But you become proud over here and start wishing to be paid like state governors and prime ministers. Rubbish
Re: Nigerian Doctors To Begin Nationwide Strike June 15 Amid COVID-19 by Lange: 11:22pm On Jun 08, 2020
Blame the government. Why make a promise that you cannot fulfill. In other climes, health workers are loved, appreciated, and adequately rewarded for all their efforts; but no, not in Buhari's Nigeria. Deception is the order of the day.
You want these frontline professionals in the fight against the deadly pandemic to continue to work with their bare hands and still go with an empty stomach....ko le werk!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Doctors To Begin Nationwide Strike June 15 Amid COVID-19 by apatheticme(f): 12:50am On Jun 09, 2020
Re: Nigerian Doctors To Begin Nationwide Strike June 15 Amid COVID-19 by Masive01(m): 6:40am On Jun 09, 2020
ainas247:
embarassed They worship Doctors in Other countries...
Some Doc will not feel fine and they will make sure you feel fine ...
It is well with Nigeria Gov.

Meanwhile, I have a Beauty Blog.
that gets 3000 clicks from Google SEO monthly
it's for sale

How can I contact you?
Re: Nigerian Doctors To Begin Nationwide Strike June 15 Amid COVID-19 by Correcto: 9:14am On Jun 09, 2020
Lol, yes you sound frustrated.
apatheticme:

Frustrated kwa, you wish!

I know that's what you lots want, frustrate doctors to soothe your low self esteemed egos, but guess what, God nor be man, he nor go shame us!

There's really no point talking to you

You only see what you choose to see through your warped and parochial myopic view of life, keep it up

Now Bugger off, loser!
Re: Nigerian Doctors To Begin Nationwide Strike June 15 Amid COVID-19 by ainas247: 10:20am On Jun 09, 2020
Masive01:

How can I contact you?

check my profile or click on WhatsApp link below
Re: Nigerian Doctors To Begin Nationwide Strike June 15 Amid COVID-19 by apatheticme(f): 12:34pm On Jun 09, 2020
Re: Nigerian Doctors To Begin Nationwide Strike June 15 Amid COVID-19 by Correcto: 3:57pm On Jun 09, 2020
Lol, as if you can talk well when you meet me in person.
apatheticme:

In Nigeria, speaking up for your right or against injustice will be termed anything by people consumed by hatred like you.

First, I'm a baby, you deal with my ogas

Next, I'm frustrated

Mtchewwww, I don't blame you, it's a faceless forum after all. I'm sure you will eat your words if we were to be talking face to face.

Like I said, beat it, loser!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Doctors To Begin Nationwide Strike June 15 Amid COVID-19 by apatheticme(f): 4:22pm On Jun 09, 2020
Re: Nigerian Doctors To Begin Nationwide Strike June 15 Amid COVID-19 by Bahdsypha(m): 6:23pm On Jun 09, 2020
saraki2019:
May God help us, apart from provision of PPE for covid 19 all other issues are monetary, when you think we have heatless leaders, then the so-called populace are worst,
Come to think of it ASUU are on strike and now NMA are.going amid a pandemic.
When other country like new Zealand are coming out of the pandemic Nigerians doctors and suppose researchers are on holiday
Have you heard of the Hippocrates oath
it's an oath doctors take on their induction

In this oath...they pledge to do everything in their power to care for themselves so that they can be able to provide the best services
Nigerian Doctors are desired everywhere except from Nigeria
Doctors in Nigeria are the most hardworking people I know
How they are able to work in the worst situations and still come out strong is something I admire
Nigeria do not appreciate them
They deserve everything they are demanding

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Doctors To Begin Nationwide Strike June 15 Amid COVID-19 by HoliMaree: 8:55pm On Jun 09, 2020
Well, I no longer practice medicine. Practiced for a few years before going into business and haven't looked back since then as business has been doing excellently well, easily out-matching whatever benefits I can get from practicing in the UK or Canada or wherever.

However, I always find time, at least every month, to donate my medical skills as a way to give back to the society, to the country that gave me such a valuable degree at almost no cost. Nigeria subsidized my medical training, I got my medical degree for less than $100 a year compared to my counterparts abroad who had to cough out tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars or get themselves neck deep in debt or pay over half their income in taxes just to get an MBBS, and I will forever be grateful for that.

As things currently are, Nigeria is just spending huge amounts of money subsidizing the healthcare systems of other countries with cheap manpower, especially the UK's NHS.

Medical education is expensive. That's why as rich as the UK is, they rather snatch doctors from other poorer countries rather than establish more medical schools for their citizens to fill in their shortage of medical professionals. Nigeria does the heavy spending by subsidizing medical training and then looses it all to other countries, effectively subsidizing those countries.

Nigeria has to realize this. Anyone who wants to attend government subsidized medical schools should either be made pay the real cost of their training or should sign bond agreements to serve the country for an agreed number of years before leaving to anywhere. Anyone not okay with this, should attend a private university or go and school abroad. You can't pay $100 a year as tuition and expect to earn US or UK salary in Nigeria. Yes, the Nigerian government has its own faults especially with the state of the public health sector but honestly speaking, my Nigerian medical counterparts are also too arrogant, expecting to be paid dollars and pounds in Nigeria.

A quote from a sane man
Re: Nigerian Doctors To Begin Nationwide Strike June 15 Amid COVID-19 by MichaelBlake40: 10:45pm On Jun 09, 2020
apatheticme:

And how many doctors have you talked to before making this generalization of 'Nigerian doctors'

Why do we so much love to denigrate our own

Nigerian women, Nigerian girls, Nigerian doctors, Nigerian police, Nigerian this Nigerian that!

Are you from America The so called First world are not perfect! They've got their own shortcomings as well which ignorant folks like you are unaware of because you're too lazy to conduct research, u'll rather jump to conclusions like a frog even when you have no idea what goes on in a particular field!

Tueh!

Me I'm a doctor, I am passionate about my job, and I've been owed severally by the irresponsible government of the day, yet I give my best daily!

Even today as I type, I'm still been owed some months yet I've been to work today, I know the number of patients I've attended to today both at clinic and in the ward.

Come and walk in my shoes for a month, let's see if you will not strike!
Sister take heart o I know it's not easy.
Re: Nigerian Doctors To Begin Nationwide Strike June 15 Amid COVID-19 by apatheticme(f): 10:53pm On Jun 09, 2020
MichaelBlake40:

Sister take heart o I know it's not easy.

Lol, thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Madagascar's Covid-Organics Can’t Cure COVID-19, Only Cures Cough – Ehanire / Lagos Discharges Eight More Coronavirus Patients / Causes Of Asthma And Its Top Early Symptoms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.