Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,426 members, 7,815,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:14 PM

NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria - Investment (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria (42051 Views)

NBC, Broadcasters To Unlock $20bn Into Nigeria’s Economy With Africast / Step Involves To Become NBC Distributor / NBC Code Amendment And Exclusivity In Broadcasting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by Viicfuntop(f): 11:20am On Jun 09, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright

Netflix can go fuckkk themselves

I prefer make DStv remain
Netflix can fuckkking zoom off

Netflix too greedy.

You go subscribe finish just to access them
Then you go also need to do data subscription just to watch or download
Then again your movies way you download go still dey expire

Haba

If you had unlimited WiFi, this won’t be a problem.

2 Likes

Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by AsaSage: 11:20am On Jun 09, 2020
Regardless of the final outcome. Naija people will always find a way to watch or stream Nollywood movies or other movie types.

Before Netflix and the likes we've be surviving, after them we will still survive. Besides, new content streaming service providers could be birthed from the advent of these circumstances.

5 Likes

Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by Corporate2020: 11:24am On Jun 09, 2020
FlordFlorez:
What a fuckery! This government wants to chase away the limited investors we have. How do they make profit with this stupid code?

This one read headline and came down to type the rubbish in his skull. Lazy youth

1 Like

Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by homesteady(m): 11:25am On Jun 09, 2020
What is wrong with this people? How will you tell them to sell their exclusive property to a competitor? Does it make sense?

So you want Africa magic to sell Tinsel to NTA by force?

1 Like

Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by SenecaTheYonger: 11:27am On Jun 09, 2020
I hope Twitter and Facebook bans Nigeria from accessing their site since they want to tax them.

1 Like

Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by adedayourt(m): 11:27am On Jun 09, 2020
Caseless:
NBC , please do the right as long as it is in the interest of Nigeria. Most times, investors are overtaken by quest for profits and they shortchange the process/system and thereby creating pains for consumers. You must also act as not to be seen chasing investors away.
Already, the investors are fighting back by paying a writer to put this report together to rubbish the broadcasting code.

What I can understand is that the govt is trying to throw the market open and discontinue the monopolistic ownership of those rights

They on the other hand don't wanna loose any part of the right to keep all income flowing to their hands only.

6 Likes

Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:27am On Jun 09, 2020
Corporate2020:

This one read headline and came down to type the rubbish in his skull. Lazy youth

No, he is making some sense

If NBC forces Netflix, DStv et Al to sell their original content to local broadcasters, it would reduce their profits since in theory, one won't need to tune into DStv to watch their original content.

3 Likes

Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:28am On Jun 09, 2020
Same thing I said earlier someone said that's how it done in other climes. ���� Nigerian should thread with caution oh.
Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by Chibokgame: 11:28am On Jun 09, 2020
Whosoever makes and approves such laws is also capable of telling a man who is able to groom his family to be great and good looking to allow other men to come and ripe from his labour.

Nnawa for this government.

This kind of policy is
One of the reasons i hate 2015 & 2019 elections.

1 Like

Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by mechanics(m): 11:30am On Jun 09, 2020
They are pretending, they have already made their profit since, they think they are wise.
Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by jstjde(m): 11:30am On Jun 09, 2020
The FG is just bent on bringing sorrow..SMH
Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by Goke7: 11:32am On Jun 09, 2020
SarkinYarki:
Very stupid shortsighted leaders!!! After totally wasting over 50 years of oil revenue with nothing to show instead of cutting down their expensive of running a govt that does nothing they are looking for who to extort in the name of tax so they can continue paying themselves armed robber remunerations !!!

This is how these guys Destroyed the lives of MTN local vendors and partners after their dubious fines against MTN and today the Telco doesn't support local businesses and iniatives that much again , that's why you don't have Who wants to be a millionaire again , that's why there is no Project fame again . Personally I know how much my company lost in revenue projection from that same action ..I was in middle of closing out an outdoor ad deal with one of the companies before COVID started and now the Buhari govt toes this path ..Tell me how I can ever like this Buhari ..NEVER!!!!!

to be sincere, what is the true economic value of such programs to majority of Nigerians?

4 Likes

Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by igbsam(m): 11:33am On Jun 09, 2020
I see the hand of DStv in this
Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by RexTramadol1: 11:33am On Jun 09, 2020
That dstv sabi repeat film sha
Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by Suntemi(m): 11:34am On Jun 09, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright

Netflix can go fuckkk themselves

I prefer make DStv remain
Netflix can fuckkking zoom off

Netflix too greedy.

You go subscribe finish just to access them
Then you go also need to do data subscription just to watch or download
The downloaded movies will be stored to your Netflix account only. Greedy fuckkkers
Then again your movies way you download go still dey expire
Even if you share account with your siblings or friends
Them nor go fit view your movies except them download their own

Haba

ignorance is written all over this post.

2 Likes

Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by Goke7: 11:34am On Jun 09, 2020
Nigerians are so funny, if na Trump make this policy dem go support o, awon hypocrites grin

2 Likes

Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by madamori9: 11:35am On Jun 09, 2020
This is surprising. I hope the matter is resolved amicably.
Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by Goke7: 11:35am On Jun 09, 2020
igbsam:

it affects them too o
Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:36am On Jun 09, 2020
igbsam:

DStv is among the companies affected so to speak (their Africa magic property )

Africa magic is being asked by NBC to resell their original content to other broadcasters. They don't want to
Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by Tayeni(m): 11:36am On Jun 09, 2020
adedayourt:

What I can understand is that the govt is trying to throw the market open and discontinue the monopolistic ownership of those rights

They on the other hand don't wanna loose any part of the right to keep all income flowing to their hands only.
I wonder why people think Monopoly, in this sense is, bad. How do we think people who invent stuff make their money of not through patents(state sanctioned monopoly).

How do you get the most for your intellectual property if not through exclusive rights to it. And we wonder why ouf citizens are not innovative and competitive in Nigeria until they travel abroad.

I guarantee you this ; Whoever supports this idea has never ran any real business before.

2 Likes

Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by Goke7: 11:39am On Jun 09, 2020
homesteady:
What is wrong with this people? How will you tell them to sell their exclusive property to a competitor? Does it make sense?

first opposing view making sense, this is how to table arguments intelligently so its a question of our local industry rising above mediocrity and I agree with you, perhaps some exceptions can be made for fellow African corporations and if they can reciprocate too
Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by nedekid: 11:40am On Jun 09, 2020
kikero:

I don't think you read the article

In brief, NBC wants Netflix, DStv and iroko to resell their original content made for Nigerian viewers to other broadcasters, and they are saying no.

If they end up doing so, that means you can access content from these people cheaply. On the other hand , it eats into their profits, hence their reluctance to resell
NBC ie government regulatory agency right?
As always said civil servants are the cause of problems in this country.
NBC that cannot run Nta to produce content dictating to investors that are funding and creating content. Nta has to get federal funding to pay salaries and wipe their ass. The are even seeking $500m China loan.
Same applies to aviation ministry regulating businessmen that have set up airlines through their sweat. You now have a minister shamelessly regulating them but cannot run, manage a national airline Nigeria airways. Instead tells us of how space x flew over Nigeria as an achievement.
Its all over check out housing being regulated but you cannot build houses for nigerians, to nipost regulating investors to pay them N2m if you have more than 5 bikes for courier business and 200k if you have less than 5. Yet nipost cannot run postal service.
Civil servants are a curse on Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by leisuretym: 11:41am On Jun 09, 2020
exploitation is bad , we need to break monopoly so the end consumers can get good value for service, create competition and all that, DSTV has done enough here.

1 Like

Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by grandstar(m): 11:42am On Jun 09, 2020
Caseless:
NBC , please do the right as long as it is in the interest of Nigeria. Most times, investors are overtaken by quest for profits and they shortchange the process/system and thereby creating pains for consumers. You must also act as not to be seen chasing investors away.
Already, the investors are fighting back by paying a writer to put this report together to rubbish the broadcasting code.

Professionalism trumps patriotism any day. Patriotism can not make 1+1=3.

Under the guise of patriotism, charlatans bring out laws which ignorantly destroy busineses rather than let them bloom.

If these foreign stations did not have exclusivity, who would pay for subscription? If I can watch CNN on NTA, it's good bye to Go TV.

They pay large sums to procure the rights and you now force them to sub license those rights?

Imagine, you discover a massive business opportunity to show live a fictitious coming boxing rematch between Mayweather vs Pacquiao. You paid $500,000 to show it live on Nigerian TV.

Those who want to watch it live will pay you N2, 000. You have calculated at that price you will make a handsome profit. Government now says you must sublicense it, that you just not have exclusivity- do you think you'll make a profit?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by wickyyolo: 11:43am On Jun 09, 2020
AsawanaDgreat:
Park and go pls

After you will open a new account and come to beg .

Do you know the implications of letting investments go to other countries?
Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by landforeast(m): 11:45am On Jun 09, 2020
where is Iroko going to Sudan
Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:46am On Jun 09, 2020
Chibokgame:
Whosoever makes and approves such laws is also capable of telling a man who is able to groom his family to be great and good looking to allow other men to come and ripe from his labour.

Nnawa for this government.

This kind of policy is
One of the reasons i hate 2015 & 2019 elections.

Well if the policy is successful, you may be able to access original content from say Africa magic and Netflix at a cheaper rate via other broadcasters.

Helps cut down on piracy too.
Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by SweetDipBenny(m): 11:48am On Jun 09, 2020
Pack and go.bye
Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by sexylassie2(f): 11:49am On Jun 09, 2020
kikero:

I don't think you read the article

In brief, NBC wants Netflix, DStv and iroko to resell their original content made for Nigerian viewers to other broadcasters, and they are saying no.

If they end up doing so, that means you can access content from these people cheaply. On the other hand , it eats into their profits, hence their reluctance to resell

to be sincere, there is nothing bad in reselling content, it will also benefit the streaming companies

in the streaming industry, all original content are for sales, DSTV sell original content, Iroko does, it means if i produce original content as a streaming company, i can put it in my catalogue then also sell it to those who want to buy, it is a win-win situation for the company,it infact brings more profit for me.

The writer of that article didnt do research at all, very poorly written

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by sexylassie2(f): 11:51am On Jun 09, 2020
homesteady:

yes it makes sense, it brings profit for both parties involved

The original content isnt given for free to a competitor, it is for sale, instead of the content been idle, you can sell it and licence it and make more money.

if you license it, the content is still yours.

1 Like

Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:51am On Jun 09, 2020
nedekid:

NBC ie government regulatory agency right?
As always said civil servants are the cause of problems in this country.
NBC that cannot run Nta to produce content dictating to investors that are funding and creating content. Nta has to get federal funding to pay salaries and wipe their ass. The are even seeking $500m China loan.
Same applies to aviation ministry regulating businessmen that have set up airlines through their sweat. You now have a minister shamelessly regulating them but cannot run, manage a national airline Nigeria airways. Instead tells us of how space x flew over Nigeria as an achievement.
Its all over check out housing being regulated but you cannot build houses for nigerians, to nipost regulating investors to pay them N2m if you have more than 5 bikes for courier business and 200k if you have less than 5. Yet nipost cannot run postal service.
Civil servants are a curse on Nigeria.

1.Nipost is very efficient. I have used their EMS speed Post service several times over the last five years, including once when I needed to get documents to Lagos in 24 hours, and Ups and FedEx were telling me it was not possible.

2. NTA is not a private agency. It is wholly government run. If you want govt to stop taking loans for NTA, the best alternative is what they do in South Africa, pay a tv licence fee of 6000naira approximately.

3. Government helps people build houses via FHA. Building a house costs money. Our budget isn't enough for mass housing projects

1 Like

Re: NBC Code: Netflix, Amazon, Irokotv, Africa Magic May End Investment In Nigeria by Doyou2019: 11:52am On Jun 09, 2020
Olominira:
They would leave only if they make no money from Nigeria.

Just what I thought. Like they are any different from the FG.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Ponzi Schemes Always Fail (Graphic And Mathematical Proof) / MMM Crash: Over 3million Nigerians Lose Over N18.765billion / Zuckerberg Loses $7 Billion In Hours As Facebook Plunges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.