Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,183 members, 7,811,466 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:10 PM

How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? - Webmasters (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? (30639 Views)

How To Write Blog Posts That Increases Your Adsense Earnings / Adsense: 17 Ways To Increase Your Earnings / My Adsense Earnings Proof (plus Tips For Earning Big Through Adsense) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by Genesils(m): 2:13pm On Jun 12, 2020
abbey621:

Management, anything management! See tech guys will always do the hardwork why the so called manager/director or VP makes the big money. I've been an I.T audit manager for 3 years now and before that I was an I.T manager for our database analytics team, I can't believe an easier job actually pays more....It is what it is.....lol.

Management, waoh!
Thanks for this... But then, the requirements is not something available for all, don't you think... I mean, the years of experience always posted asa requirement..
Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by desiredmee(m): 2:13pm On Jun 12, 2020
TUANKU:

You can start by learning HTML, then CSS... JavaScript.
Or you can learn python which you can do a lot with apart from web development.

Thanks
Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by DanRay1: 2:14pm On Jun 12, 2020
imohimoh12:
What do you mean by Amateurs provide cheap alternative for clients? Does it make sense to pay many of these over priced web developers in Nigeria(many are learners) or go offshore and get work done at the lowest possible price ?

As a client which would you go for ? The guys on fiverr or the guy who will ask you to pay a ridiculous amount with very crappy work.

Abro, great professionals know their worth and their work speaks for them.
Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by ComputerWiz007: 2:14pm On Jun 12, 2020
Benjaniblinks:
undecided5-10k
let me just pretend u meant in dollars.

1 Like

Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by Anonime1105(m): 2:16pm On Jun 12, 2020
DualCore1:
Free courses from Harvard University

CS50's Introduction to Artificial Intelligence with Python
https://www.edx.org/course/cs50s-introduction-to-artificial-intelligence-with-python

Computer Science for Web Programming
https://www.edx.org/professional-certificate/harvardx-computer-science-for-web-programming

Many more Computer Science courses
https://www.edx.org/course/subject/computer-science

If you're a self paced learner, edx.org should be on your list of resources.

Regarding the topic on salary. I wont drop any figures. When you're done with the basics, do the following:

1. Continuously beef up your Github profile with interesting projects (not todo list or sample projects you pick up when learning). You can do simple and interesting projects. You can do the same project using different stacks to show your range.

2. Be active on StackOverflow by providing helpful answers.

3. Create a simple and realistic linkedin profile (don't enumerate what you can't do)

4. Never stop learning. Never stop developing yourself. Never stop looking for what is trending. This is the problem I have with the PHP and Wordpress (N15,000 website) people.

5. Don't look for a Nigerian job. With decent power supply, a good computer with one or two additional screens and a fair internet connection, you're open to the world for business. The Nigerian market cannot afford you (yet). You didn't come this far to build 5-paged websites.

Don't try to learn all the languages there are out there. Learn the fundamentals of programming. Learn data structures and algorithms and you will be able to pick up any language and go through it in a weekend.

For any new project, don't settle for the stack in your comfort zone. Its possible there are newer techs to get that project done better. Explore your options and choose the best stack. Always try to add one new thing to your stack range with every project. It could be something as little as writing functional CSS with Tachyons instead of the normal CSS or using NextJS instead of CreateReactApp for ReactJS... just play around, you have no limits.

P.S: The industry is not a quick money scheme. I recommend having something else to support yourself while you learn. Please do not use the salary as a motivation to learn. Try and build passion for it. If you can't build the passion, leave it, try another field. Passion is important because you will need it when you eventually start working as a programmer (a job that can get very boring at times).

Another interesting field that's related to programming is DevOps. You can consider that at some point.

Form a Veteran who knows his onions

4 Likes

Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by DanRay1: 2:16pm On Jun 12, 2020
ProfDview1:

Thank u so much... Maybe I will try spend 1 or two weeks on css... I av created some responsive website... I even created sumtin like nairaland, I did it myself... They are all static though

Thank u so much boss
Keep grinding bro. Good luck.
Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by imohimoh12: 2:17pm On Jun 12, 2020
No problem... Good Luck!!!

DanRay1:
Abro, great professionals know their worth and their work speaks for them.

1 Like

Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by Ronald5635: 2:17pm On Jun 12, 2020
see below
Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jun 12, 2020
Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by Laboni: 2:18pm On Jun 12, 2020
abbey621:

Management, anything management! See tech guys will always do the hardwork why the so called manager/director or VP makes the big money. I've been an I.T audit manager for 3 years now and before that I was an I.T manager for our database analytics team, I can't believe an easier job actually pays more....It is what it is.....lol.
Exactly, most people don’t know that IT management as a specialty pays more than other tech specialty.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by Anonime1105(m): 2:19pm On Jun 12, 2020
Laboni:
You’re not learning programming yet. It’s not as easy as some people make it seem but once you’re determined and passionate about it, you will excel with constant practice of course. It can be tiring and frustrating too.

I swear, it can be frustrating but with the passion and determination it's fun.
Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jun 12, 2020
ComputerWiz007:
grin
ComputerWiz007:
Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by abbey621(m): 2:20pm On Jun 12, 2020
Genesils:

Management, waoh!
Thanks for this... But then, the requirements is not something available for all, don't you think... I mean, the years of experience always posted asa requirement..

Yea that's why the path is to follow flexibility. Learn programming, gather the experience but also have a management degree, something that can launch you into management faster. I had less than 5 years experience before becoming manager, in 9ja it will be tougher but the future of Nigeria is entrepreneurship so when I say management, you must look at it from 9ja's version which is be your own boss, manage the f*ck out of yourself! That 100k or 200k a company wants to pay you, you can make 3 to 4 times just freelancing and being creative once you know what you're doing.

However, if you ever find yourself outside of the country then management is the way to go, find a company that will employ you for the technical side, be good to them, play a lot of office politics and before you know it, you have your own team and you can make men and women piss their pants at the mention of your name....I kid I kid cheesy grin grin grin

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by Genesils(m): 2:23pm On Jun 12, 2020
DualCore1:

https://www.edx.org/course/cs50s-introduction-to-artificial-intelligence-with-python

https://www.edx.org/professional-certificate/harvardx-computer-science-for-web-programming

Regarding the topic on salary. I wont drop any figures. When you're done with the basics, do the following:

1. Continuously beef up your Github profile with interesting projects (not todo list or sample projects you pick up when learning). You can do simple and interesting projects. You can do the same project using different stacks to show your range.

3. Create a simple and realistic linkedin profile (don't enumerate what you can't do)

4. Never stop learning. Never stop developing yourself. Never stop looking for what is trending. This is the problem I have with the PHP and Wordpress (N15,000 website) people.

5. Don't look for a Nigerian job. With decent power supply, a good computer with one or two additional screens and a fair internet connection, you're open to the world for business. The Nigerian market cannot afford you (yet). You didn't come this far to build 5-paged websites.

Don't try to learn all the languages there are out there. Learn the fundamentals of programming. Learn data structures and algorithms and you will be able to pick up any language and go through it in a weekend.

For any new project, don't settle for the stack in your comfort zone. Its possible there are newer techs to get that project done better. Explore your options and choose the best stack. Always try to add one new thing to your stack range with every project. It could be something as little as writing functional CSS with Tachyons instead of the normal CSS or using NextJS instead of CreateReactApp for ReactJS... just play around, you have no limits.

P.S: The industry is not a quick money scheme. I recommend having something else to support yourself while you learn. Please do not use the salary as a motivation to learn. Try and build passion for it. If you can't build the passion, leave it, try another field. Passion is important because you will need it when you eventually start working as a programmer (a job that can get very boring at times).

Another interesting field that's related to programming is DevOps. You can consider that at some point.

Enlightening!

1 Like

Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by Genesils(m): 2:24pm On Jun 12, 2020
abbey621:

Yea that's why the path is to follow flexibility. Learn programming, gather the experience but also have a management degree, something that can launch you into management faster. I had less than 5 years experience before becoming manager, in 9ja it will be tougher but the future of Nigeria is entrepreneurship so when I say management, you must look at it from 9ja's version which is be your own boss, manage the f*ck out of yourself! That 100k or 200k a company wants to pay you, you can make 3 to 4 times just freelancing and being creative once you know what you're doing.

However, if you ever find yourself outside of the country then management is the way to go, find a company that will employ you for the technical side, be good to them, play a lot of office politics and before you know it, you have your own team and you can make men and women piss their pants at the mention of your name....I kid I kid cheesy grin grin grin

Hehehehe... I love you grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by professorval1(m): 2:25pm On Jun 12, 2020
What you earn as a developer depends on your skillset, years of experience and clients.

Even though I've been coding since 2014,
On a scale of 10,
I'll rate myself 5.

I earned roughly $390 last month working as a freelancer.

5 Likes

Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by bukxy: 2:27pm On Jun 12, 2020
August21:

I sent you a mail bro. Let's create a WhatsApp support group for those of us about starting out or those already started.

I am about starting though.
same as well
am interested

1 Like

Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by davidswhales(m): 2:29pm On Jun 12, 2020
DualCore1:

You have said it all...thumbs-up
Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by Genesils(m): 2:31pm On Jun 12, 2020
Okay boss, I will cry cry
Thanks for this
DanRay1:
Except you don't want to make money out of it, continue learning everything cheesy

Funnily enough, it is when you start the projects you actually appreciate what you learnt because you can see the real life application of these concepts.

Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by DanRay1: 2:33pm On Jun 12, 2020
SoNature:
If you a full stack developer, you shouldn't earn less than 250k

These days Nigerian companies want an IT personnel to do the job an entire IT department

I strongly advise web developers to look beyond Nigeria and focus on the international market

Any good dev earning below 500k a month in Nigeria is just slaving away. With those skills you'd be making far more money working remotely.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by Genesils(m): 2:34pm On Jun 12, 2020
August21:

I sent you a mail bro. Let's create a WhatsApp support group for those of us about starting out or those already started.

I am about starting though.

August21 and Bukxy I got your mail notification already, however I don't really know how this thing really works.

But I buy the idea of creating a WhatsApp support group... Let's start already grin
Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by DanRay1: 2:38pm On Jun 12, 2020
Aston02:
It's so saddening to see guys here watering down an average income for devs. If you're good at what you do, you should be raking in dollars not Naira. Entry-level/ junior devs earn between $65-120k per annum (divide that by 12 and multiply by 410).

However, you have to be on world's best or international standard before you can earn that, which is where most problems lies for Nigerians cos we like to cut corners
True talk bro.
Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by Rikidony(m): 2:46pm On Jun 12, 2020
eph12:

Where's your location?
Calabar
Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by benjijosh(m): 2:46pm On Jun 12, 2020
An entry developer should earn about 1k$ ~ 400k. But most devs here in Nigeria don’t enough have the skills to be considered as a junior dev.

You have to push yourself to be on an international standard (like of devs from US/Russia) to earn big. There’s more to being a dev than just putting up some HTML/CSS/JS/PHP/ASP.Net application

4 Likes

Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by Osek(m): 2:48pm On Jun 12, 2020
Talking about web design or development as the case maybe... am abt to learn it but I don't have a laptop presently so can I use my phone for d time being to be learning it pending on when I get one
Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by GreenDee(f): 2:48pm On Jun 12, 2020
TUANKU:

If you find python too hard then am afraid programming is not for you.
I learnt C++ first, then Java during my school days.
Coming to python it was obviously easier to get a hang than most languages.
what of JavaScript, because I am having hard time with it, at some point I get discouraged, how did you learn it?
Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by Degrezhaa: 2:51pm On Jun 12, 2020
DualCore1:

Wow very informative...

please can you shed some light on that DevOps

1 Like

Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by Savagethe21st(m): 2:52pm On Jun 12, 2020
DanRay1:
cheesy

That's why I went into Android and iOS. At least that side go hard most people so we no go too plenty. Make food still reach everyone grin

But work still dey web sha. You just have to learn a lot of technologies
..u sure sey ppl never conquer app...see playstore and the number of apps there
Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by GreenDee(f): 2:54pm On Jun 12, 2020
Genesils:

In fact, this post is for me... I need to stop trying to know everything and start learning by working on project... I've been stucked on Python for too long
Thank you grin
Same here, mine is JavaScript...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by Austinbass12(m): 2:57pm On Jun 12, 2020
[quote author=August21 post=90587985]

I am about starting though.[/quot
Can we connect, I'm interested.
I'm still a learner though.
Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by Sleevia: 2:57pm On Jun 12, 2020
DanRay1:
Okay. You wouldn't call website builders amateur but that contradicts your argument against my initial position that web dev is saturated. How are you going to get clients when they can use web builders? How much do you think you'd be paid?

Web dev as we see it has changed a lot. Basic page development has been taken over by automation. To be able to stay relevant you have to learn more stuff like e-commerce, business management systems etc

See, set up a blog and get your SEO right for what people are searching for.... It will amazing you how many clients you will generate. Even big brands do not joke with this aspect of internet marketing.

I was minding my business jeje when someone sent me an email one day. He told me he found my website and would like me to teach him something I talked about on my website. I didn't take it serious.... now imagine if i was serious in building my brand? imagine how much I would make.

3 Likes

Re: How Much Should Be The Minimum Earnings Of A Developer? by ClintonNzedimma(m): 2:57pm On Jun 12, 2020
Well. I am a young developer. I think I will give my 2cents.
Coding is not a career you enter for money. Passion counts bro

Keep learning but focus on the basics.

Sometimes you will feel lack of confidence

I just finished debugging a web app I built with NodeJs a few minutes ago. I felt like I didn’t know anything. I lost confidence. But sometimes you feel like you are Iron Man.

Keep coding and and keep learning best practices

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Own A Wordpress Web Site At A Cheaper And Affordable Rate One Click Ahead. / Photo Of Mark Zuckerberg Paddling Canoe / Breaking News Npower.gov.ng have been Redesigned

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.