Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,438 members, 7,853,887 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 07:22 AM

Why Don't African Parents Give Adequate Sex Education To Their Children? ? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Don't African Parents Give Adequate Sex Education To Their Children? ? (550 Views)

Why Don't African Countries Co Cooperate With Each Other Like Europe / Sex Education To A 6year Old Girl: Is It Too Early? / Health Benefits Of Adequate Sex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't African Parents Give Adequate Sex Education To Their Children? ? by umtitibaba(m): 6:43pm On Jun 13, 2020
so I was watching a movie in my neighbour's room this afternoon (nollywood to be precise) and the whole summary of the movie was about how a girl was raped when she was very young by her uncle.. In one of the scenes of the rape, there was blood on the bedsheet where it happened; my neighbour's daughter (about 7years ) now asked how the meaning of the blood on the bedsheet but instead of her to explain, she shut her up saying :'that's why she doesn't like watching those kind of movies with her'...

Later in the day, I called the girl and tried to explain my little knowledge of rape to her; I just told her if there is any uncle touching her illegally , she should not hesitate to tell her mother or father as it can destroy her future.

so my point of writing this is to ask this question : why don't African parents give adequate sex education to their children? ?
Re: Why Don't African Parents Give Adequate Sex Education To Their Children? ? by umtitibaba(m): 6:45pm On Jun 13, 2020
although I will try to explain to her mother later the importance of sex education to her daughter. ... I hope she listens to me although I will try to explain to her mother later the importance of sex education to her daughter. ... I hope she listens to me cry cry cry cry
Re: Why Don't African Parents Give Adequate Sex Education To Their Children? ? by duro4chang(m): 6:54pm On Jun 13, 2020
Countries where sex education is being giving to their children are not better off.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't African Parents Give Adequate Sex Education To Their Children? ? by umtitibaba(m): 6:58pm On Jun 13, 2020
duro4chang:
Countries where sex education is being giving to their children are not better off.
but that shouldn't be an excuse
Re: Why Don't African Parents Give Adequate Sex Education To Their Children? ? by duro4chang(m): 7:00pm On Jun 13, 2020
umtitibaba:
but that shouldn't be an excuse
Then that should not be my major concern.If somebody who is doing a particular thing is not better than I am but worse, why should I be craving for what he is doing?
Re: Why Don't African Parents Give Adequate Sex Education To Their Children? ? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jun 13, 2020
They are very uncomfortable with the topic.
Also they are ignorant about it's importance.
Re: Why Don't African Parents Give Adequate Sex Education To Their Children? ? by paulolee(m): 7:04pm On Jun 13, 2020
over religious and dnt know how to explain without answering weired questions from the child..
Re: Why Don't African Parents Give Adequate Sex Education To Their Children? ? by Oluromantic: 7:06pm On Jun 13, 2020
That the parent obeyed the PG of the film which may be rated 13 or 18 does not mean she's not doing his/her work well as a parent over a 7 year old girl. Explaining sex education to the child does not include explaining a blood scene in a movie she even shdnt have watched. The explanation you later gave the girl did not explain the blood seen in d movie neither, though it's the right education for a 7 year old. You did well.

All that's needed to be told to her very strongly at that stage is ...your private part is called private cus you're the only one who has access to it. If anyone else tries to access it, scream out without hesitation.
Re: Why Don't African Parents Give Adequate Sex Education To Their Children? ? by Croccityboi123(m): 7:11pm On Jun 13, 2020
Africans are too religious
shocked
Re: Why Don't African Parents Give Adequate Sex Education To Their Children? ? by umtitibaba(m): 7:11pm On Jun 13, 2020
Oluromantic:
That the parent obeyed the PG of the film which may be rated 13 or 18 does not mean she's not doing his/her work well as a parent over a 7 year old girl. Explaining sex education to the child does not include explaining a blood scene in a movie she even shdnt have watched. The explanation you later gave the girl did not explain the blood seen in d movie neither, though it's the right education for a 7 year old. You did well.

All that's needed to be told to her very strongly at that stage is ...your private part is called private cus you're the only one who has access to it. If anyone else tries to access it, scream out without hesitation.
thumbs up bro
Re: Why Don't African Parents Give Adequate Sex Education To Their Children? ? by Bojack(m): 7:35pm On Jun 13, 2020
Those conversations are usually very awkward
Re: Why Don't African Parents Give Adequate Sex Education To Their Children? ? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jun 13, 2020
umtitibaba:
so I was watching a movie in my neighbour's room this afternoon (nollywood to be precise) and the whole summary of the movie was about how a girl was raped when she was very young by her uncle.. In one of the scenes of the rape, there was blood on the bedsheet where it happened; my neighbour's daughter (about 7years ) now asked how the meaning of the blood on the bedsheet but instead of her to explain, she shut her up saying :'that's why she doesn't like watching those kind of movies with her'...

Later in the day, I called the girl and tried to explain my little knowledge of rape to her; I just told her if there is any uncle touching her illegally , she should not hesitate to tell her mother or father as it can destroy her future.

so my point of writing this is to ask this question : why don't African parents give adequate sex education to their children? ?

One of the best questions asked on Nairaland. Sheds light on the current sexist and backward society problems facing Nigeria right now.

When a mother does not educate her daughter about sex, men and relationships. .she goes into the world discovering for herself. And during the course of her experience she may come across abortions, pregancy, rape, physical, mental and emotional abuse etc. In between she loses her self worth.

To answer your question, it is because of the upbringing of her parents and the environment they grew up in. Sex was a taboo back then and it was frowned upon whenever a woman discussed it openly so most women discussed it in secret. Women were so abused and controlled by men and they accepted it because majority of the women in their environment did the same, plus their mothers as well.

Women who rebelled were labelled bad women, bad wives or bad girls. So they were silenced by the men they trusted and the community that was meant to protect them.

So that generation of mothers and fathers created weak female children. Females that hardly rebelled and sat back choosing to focus their love on the kids.

So such mothers like the one you mentioned are one of those children whose mothers instilled such ideas.

What hurts is that when its about money, our parents are quick to jump at educating their kids about it. Our values have been lost chasing material things.

Its nice to see an intellectual fella come up with such a positive question that could educate a lot off its debate. Nairaland lacks such. You are wise and have a good head on your shoulders. Have a great day

1 Like

Re: Why Don't African Parents Give Adequate Sex Education To Their Children? ? by hashtagged(m): 9:00am On Jun 14, 2020
I started watching pg 18 since i was about 5-6, and i nor bad reach my cousins who started watching it when they left their parents house. Its better children get education when they are young it prevents them from doing bad things when they discover it by themselves without guidance, it can also help children to avoid rape

(1) (Reply)

The Tears Of My Marriage. If Only I Had Known. / Fun Question: Which Part Of Chicken Can You Give Your Ex? / Please I Realy Need Your Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.