Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,099 members, 7,821,800 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:41 PM

Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? (34734 Views)

Should I Go Or Should I Stay ? / Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? / Should I Quit My Job Or Not? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by drey076(m): 7:51pm On Jun 15, 2020
MISTAICEY02288:
Hmmm this is a dicey one for real ... All I'll say is follow your heart. Also pray about it too.. Good luck with whatever you decide to settle for..

Dìndìnrìn oshi.. Sha do fast and type your nonsense..

grin grin grin that guy and nonsense post are like 5&6
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by ejimatic: 7:57pm On Jun 15, 2020
TheSkyIsRed:
Hello Nairalanders! Please I'm in serious need of your candid advice. Let me go straight to the point.

I've been going through a delimma for some days now. I'm presently working with a microfinance bank and i earn about 40k after tax. Recently, I was offered a job in government house with a salary slightly above my present salary.

In my present place of work, there is job security and I learn a lot on the job although the salary ain't much. In the new job, there is free accommodation but no job security because I'm being employed by the SA (special assistant) to the governor and i won't be getting any official appointment letter.

The problem now is, I'm stuck between the two. I don't know if I'm to go with the new offer or continue with my present job. I don't want to take a decision that I might regret tomorrow. My fear is that I might be sacked at any time because I'm not employed directly by the government but the SA.

I've been thinking about it and i still don't know the best decision to take. So, I decided to seek advice from nairaland cause I know I can get good advice here.

Please I will appreciate your sincere advice and contributions.
. 1. Does the state still have a case at the tribunal appeal and Supreme courts? . 2. Is your job secure in the Microfinance? ...3 Is the man SA to the governor himself ? Is the man himself going to employ you for himself? What does your job with the SA involve? If the SA is dismissed will you still be there? Can you exert influence on the SA later to get you a permanent t job in the government before it ends it tenure? I need answers before giving you my advice.
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by Dreyton36: 8:02pm On Jun 15, 2020
OP Las Las all we need is connection to the highest level in life to achieve our dreams
Through that govt job , you'll meet new people and gain some important contacts that'll help your life , think about it

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by hakeemhakeem(m): 8:05pm On Jun 15, 2020
TheSkyIsRed:

The current govt should be leaving in 2 to 3 years time

I don't think I can ask him for appointment letter cause other people he also gave job didn't get appointment letter

I'm not sure about saving the new job

IT skills cause I'm in IT sector (the SA wants to employ me as a network administrator)

Even your mfb job is not total guarantee how say the management can't bring one of their owns to relief you,got will add to your cv working with sa you can enroll on professional course pay by the state you can as well get connection
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by Ezechimma(m): 8:09pm On Jun 15, 2020
TheSkyIsRed:

I don't think I can ask him for appointment letter cause other people he also gave job didn't get appointment letter

IT skills cause I'm in IT sector (the SA wants to employ me as a network administrator)

Then take the S.A job
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by golddare: 8:10pm On Jun 15, 2020
TheSkyIsRed:
Hello Nairalanders! Please I'm in serious need of your candid advice. Let me go straight to the point.

I've been going through a delimma for some days now. I'm presently working with a microfinance bank and i earn about 40k after tax. Recently, I was offered a job in government house with a salary slightly above my present salary.

In my present place of work, there is job security and I learn a lot on the job although the salary ain't much. In the new job, there is free accommodation but no job security because I'm being employed by the SA (special assistant) to the governor and i won't be getting any official appointment letter.

The problem now is, I'm stuck between the two. I don't know if I'm to go with the new offer or continue with my present job. I don't want to take a decision that I might regret tomorrow. My fear is that I might be sacked at any time because I'm not employed directly by the government but the SA.

I've been thinking about it and i still don't know the best decision to take. So, I decided to seek advice from nairaland cause I know I can get good advice here.

Please I will appreciate your sincere advice and contributions.

Take the new offer and proof your worth, be resourceful and you may end up opening your own Microfinance Bank in the future. Ensure you be a man of integrity, loyal and refuse to soil your hand no matter what.
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by code4954: 8:11pm On Jun 15, 2020
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by Bishop(m): 8:13pm On Jun 15, 2020
TheSkyIsRed:

The new job is for Risk takers, those who see beyond their noses, obviously you are not one you even sound timid,

I will advise you to stick with your present job. Note: there's nothing like job security any more. Start building your confidence and go for classes on survival 101 you will need it in future.
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by FrenchyL(m): 8:22pm On Jun 15, 2020
Ningen:
Stay put. Don't accept the new offer.

With no job security and it's only a slight salary increment, it's not worth risking your stable life.

I believe the free accommodation will be invalid the moment you're fired, so it's not really a perk.

I totally agree with this thought. It is never wise to move just for a fistful of naira.
Besides take a look at the structure and work culture of where you are going to.

May the Lord guide you my brother. smiley
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by tunary(m): 8:25pm On Jun 15, 2020
stick to your present job
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by jaxxy(m): 8:30pm On Jun 15, 2020
TheSkyIsRed:

With IT skills u shud be earning more than that bro unless Ure not developing ur skill set. How much time/hours do u have to work as special assistant daily? Compare that to time demands on ur current job and see which gives u more opportunity for self development cos I think wats more important for u is self development rather than any of these 2 jobs. Once u can develop ur skills and do sm certifications u can even get a better job.

I don’t see any job security with a 40k job as an IT person. When is ur current job gonna even promote u or increase ur pay? Any idea??

Go for the job that offers u opportunity for self development. Cheers.
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by HARDDON: 8:30pm On Jun 15, 2020
@TheSkyIsRed

Take the leave to research more about them by asking top management direct, insight eliciting questions .
Questions that can help you Extrapolate the viability of the idea. Ask about the vision/ mission statement and in-depth explanation.

What is their selling point? competition, what stands them out from the competition, market and market size/target/potential.

on your own, find out their sources of equity financing.

use that period also to check out the new place and get familiar with the people...

whether or not the answers to the above is satisfactory, make sure you collect the appointment letter.

if it is satisfactory, go with the new wild wind.

if it is not, use the appointment letter as a bargaining chip to ask for more money at your old place of work.
Let them know how much you were offered and your desire to continue working here but would really appreciate if your efforts are well compensated.

Bro, you don't have eternity ooo. if you don't make money now that you have energy to work and go slaving while helping another man fulfill his destiny, you wud live to regret it.

Job security is not for youthful age! shake up the dust and go for more
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by Ajixegun: 8:31pm On Jun 15, 2020
TheSkyIsRed:
Lalasticlala please I will appreciate if you move this thread to front page in other for me to get more contributions and advice.

This is actually a serious and tough one for me. Thanks

Go for the SA job. Your IT skill will pave ways for you.
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by Donemmy(m): 8:32pm On Jun 15, 2020
Poloyanabo2:
Op,
Go for the government house job, even if there
might be no security but your exposure is
guaranteed, from that exposure you might get
recomendations to better job offers.
Life is all about taking risks, and not taking risk
is a risk on its own."
OP follow the above advice. Don't be too comfortable where you are. If you're good at your job, you should be able to get the right connections within the shortest possible time. Experience from your new job is enough to secure any good job in your field.
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by 9ja083: 8:32pm On Jun 15, 2020
Don't accept the new job. I am telling u this out of experience. My neighbor is now jobless because of this.
He was doing well in his previous job until an evil uncle offered him a job like yours in the govt house.
He frustrated him, used him like a servant and owned him salaries for months.
My neighbor left the job out of frustration. That job is not an assurance. Stay with your current job.
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by oses4u(m): 8:39pm On Jun 15, 2020
Go for the govt job. U need to mingle n expose ur self to more opportunities outside of ur field.
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by ezemme(m): 8:41pm On Jun 15, 2020
Life is all about contact, I believe you have had enough of it in your current job. It'll be wise enough to build a new contact.
The one you may have in new offer might change your life for good.
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by toyotamuscle: 8:43pm On Jun 15, 2020
StPete:
Better retain the bank job. Those very unreliable govt offers is what you want to jump into.

But na wa o, what kinda Network Administrator are you that you earn 40k? Mhen that's heartbreaking
guy I just the wonder ooooo.me way no no the network admin job well self no fit collect that amount.if I must handle switch and router's ooooo.any office way get set up and I be network admin If i collect that amount, na to learn the job well well then I move on to a better place.am also a cisco network admin any network admin job in abuja pls chat me on whatsapp on08089411836
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by code4394: 8:44pm On Jun 15, 2020
[color=#] 4198076[/color]
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by SOJOSEPH(m): 8:44pm On Jun 15, 2020
You can develop a sustainable career in the financial service industry and also use the experience you gather in other industries.

There is nothing like Personal Assistantship to Governor industry.
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by adecz: 8:47pm On Jun 15, 2020
undecided undecided undecided

The reason most "big men" in
Nigeria fall to COVID-19, is that most
of them are secretly HIV +Positive,
the combination is unsurvivable!!
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by engrrichie92(m): 8:48pm On Jun 15, 2020
TheSkyIsRed:

You are a network admin and you are earning 40K and speaking with so much fear of Job loss

is it home network you are administering?

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by Abusadiq01(m): 8:49pm On Jun 15, 2020
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by Abusadiq01(m): 8:49pm On Jun 15, 2020
Guy get sense and stay where u are!!
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by code8866: 8:49pm On Jun 15, 2020
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by KineticMob: 8:50pm On Jun 15, 2020
They say "power is just like real estate". It is all about the location. Choose the job that gets you closer to power.
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by Pzpropertylimit(m): 8:54pm On Jun 15, 2020
Take the risk and accept the new offer and immediately u start collecting salaries , start something that will be another source of income for u so that when u are fired , u become self employed and if u have married to a good wife , creat business for her and invest into it immediately .
I invested in my wife and when the china virus forced me back from work without salary since March , I have been living my life happily because madam de .
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jun 15, 2020
TheSkyIsRed:

That job is risky. Life is a risk. It depends on the state. Network Administrator for office of the SA is different from the network administrator of the Governor's office. The later is a big assignment that exposed you to the Governor, Governor wife and a lot of dignitaries. I am not sure this is what the SA is employing you to do.

If it is governor's office network administrator, just resign from the microfinance bank.
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by anwanie: 8:55pm On Jun 15, 2020
Go for d new job..its will expose u..n connect u to better job someday
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by toyotamuscle: 8:55pm On Jun 15, 2020
please I need help.any network administrator in abuja please lets rub minds.pls chat me, just say hi and I ll pick it from there.am a jobless cisco network admin in abuja.pls chat me on whatsapp 08089411836
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by Makiiidagr8: 8:56pm On Jun 15, 2020
There's really no job security working under someone cus they can dump you any time. Try start something and be your own boss.
Re: Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? by nextstep(m): 8:58pm On Jun 15, 2020
It's already been said, but I'll paraphrase: go for the government house job. While there, be wise and try to be indispensable to your SA. Don't start trying to over shine them tho...

BTW how much is the govt job paying you, and how much are you paying for accommodation (and transport to your current job) now?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lawal Ibrahim-Temitope Blind Lawyer Called To Bar And Honoured With An Award / Princess Owowoh Graduates In UK As First Female Officer Cadet From Nigeria / N-power Beneficiaries Threaten To Go On Strike Over Non-Payment Of Allowances

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.