Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,375 members, 7,819,364 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:56 PM

Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients (35382 Views)

Lagos Discharges Four More COVID-19 Patients / Covid-19 Patients Being Treated In Lagos Hospital Beg Nigerians To Stay At Home / Six COVID-19 Patients To Be Discharged In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by DelilahMakinde(f): 6:38pm On Jun 16, 2020
standout5:
the same dexamethasone that weaken immune system I disagree with their findings

Most covid patients on ventilation die as a result of cytokine storm an exaggerated immune response, so the research is on point.

...I know book sha, clap for me !

1 Like

Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by Poloyanabo2(m): 6:38pm On Jun 16, 2020
DelilahMakinde:

YODI Pills in layman's terms
Does it really help women in weight addition?
Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by DelilahMakinde(f): 6:40pm On Jun 16, 2020
Poloyanabo2:

Does it really help women in weight addition?

It does but it's mostly unhealthy weight gain in the face neck and stomach.
Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jun 16, 2020
inoki247:
WHO will soon come nd Counter it d most clueless nd confused organization of the year Award goes to WHO..

Why should WHO come and counter it?

The drug went through a randomised controleld trial. They would approve of it.

All the other drugs WHO countered, most of them did not go through a proper RCT. And some that went through a proper RCT....failed to show any benefit.

Really, did some of you people go to school? No, I am not insulting you, I am honestly wondering if you really learnt anything from your statisitics and research classes?

Haba!
Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by stineb1: 6:41pm On Jun 16, 2020
Source seekers, find attached the research group.

Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jun 16, 2020
standout5:
the same dexamethasone that weaken immune system I disagree with their findings

Here it's antiimmune properties are being used to stop the immune over-reaction to covid19.

Sometimes the body's immune system over reacts to infections. As seen in diseases like asthma and menningitis. Hence the use of steroids sometimes (Dexa is used to in menningits for that reason)

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by Poloyanabo2(m): 6:44pm On Jun 16, 2020
Ok... Like play like play i don dey become doctor oo tongue
Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by Poloyanabo2(m): 6:44pm On Jun 16, 2020
Ok... Like play like play i don dey become doctor oo tongue
Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jun 16, 2020
dapsoneh:
Its not impossible, its an anti-inflammatory agent

What do you think causes people with the disease not to be able to breathe?
Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jun 16, 2020
Goldenkrezi:
This one na bad news for ncdc and FG... no more cashing out grin grin

Actually it is good news.

Worse case scenairo...the really bad covid cases in Nigeria overwhelm the avaialble hospital beds...which could have a bad impact on our healthcare sector, and by extension, our economy.

Which means, things get worse for the government.

So, if dexamehtasone works as they say, that would reduce the hospital stay, and by extension mean that covid19 las las won't impact our health sector badly.

Besides, governments earn more when they don't have to lockdown the economy. That's why some world leaders want to reopen. Even here in Nigeria, am sure our looter governors would prefer a cure to be announced tomorrow. That way, the economy opens up, we can export our oil at higher prices, more income.

2 Likes

Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by wonder233: 6:52pm On Jun 16, 2020
Another nairaland pseudo-intellectual spotted
kikero:

Who told you WHO, Bill Gates and CNN won't like it??

They would be happy...especially the WHO.

Look, the results on dexamethasone come from a randomised controlled trial. About the highest grade trial you can conduct regarding drug related research.

All your garlic, etc haven't been proven to work. Until they undergo a RCT trial and are proven to work against placebo or exisitng treatment, then we can talk.

What's your problem with WHO? The same WHO that spends billions on malaria prevention, protein energy malnutrition treatment, anemia in women,vaccinations against childhood killer diseases etc etc, is not going to be happy about a potential treatment for covid19?

Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by drpips1(m): 6:54pm On Jun 16, 2020
Seun:
The leaders of the RECOVERY drug trial in the UK, who are testing the effects of many existing drugs on COVID-19 patients, have announced that the drug dexamethasone, which is very cheap (for now) and available in most countries (including ours), has been experimentally proven to reduce the risk of death of people with severe cases of the Coronavirus disease.

They administered 6mg of dexamethasone daily (by tablet or by injection) to 2104 COVID-19 patients for ten days. After 28 days, they compared the results of this treatment to the normal treatment which 4321 other patients received. They discovered that the drug reduces the risk of death in patients who are on oxygen or on the ventilator.

* For patients who were so sick that they had to be placed on a ventilator, dexamethasone reduced their risk of death from 40% to 28%. For every 8 COVID-19 patients on the ventilator treated with this drug, 1 additional life was saved.

* For patients sick enough to be placed on oxygen, the risk of death dropped by from 25% to 20%. For every 25 patients on oxygen treated, 1 additional life was saved.

* For patients who were not sick enough to be placed on oxygen or a ventilator, there was "no improvement" according to the researchers.

Sources:
- https://www.recoverytrial.net/files/recovery_dexamethasone_statement_160620_v2final.pdf (updated)

- https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53061281

This is good news for Ex-Governor Abiola Ajimobi and other Nigerian COVID-19 patients in intensive care. The benefit seems modest but remember, that improvement is relative to the standard treatment in the UK. But remember, it provided "no benefit" to most of the patients.

It is important to fact check this before conclusion, i learnt that the drug is an immuno suppressing drug that weakens the immune system, if so, the logic seems somehow, try to Google Dexamethasone and immunosuppression
https://www.cdc.gov/fungal/infections/immune-system.html
Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by Taiwx(m): 7:00pm On Jun 16, 2020
Dexamethasone is a poison on its own regretted using it for weight gain!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jun 16, 2020
wonder233:
Another nairaland pseudo-intellectual spotted

And here is the man who will be our next Einstein and Aristotle combined., a man who is so intelligent that even university professors bow down to him.

On a more serious note, it's really sad that you think that an organisation like the WHO is evil because they refused to accept the drugs you approve of.

Look, let your drugs go through RCT...and if they work the WHO would be pleased to accept your findings, and recommend their use. Is it difficult to ask??

You can make fun of me all day long, but you obviously know nothing about how new drugs are tested. One cannot just wake up and say that X is a cure without it undergoing tests, trials, and tests.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by dapsoneh: 7:10pm On Jun 16, 2020
TripleOh7:

there are different pathophysiologic mechanisms
First, the outburst of inflammatory cytokines triggers severe degree of inflammation along the resp always causing obstruction and hence, diff with breathing
Also, at the alveoli level, the damage by the cytokines causes destruction of the alveolocarpillary membrane, this causes impairement in gaseous exchange and hence, ventilation perfusion mismatch and difficulty with breathing

1 Like

Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by AuroraB(f): 7:11pm On Jun 16, 2020
A quick question for you jubilant...did this post suggest it cures 100%...? This minute you deny there's Covid 19, after, you claim it does exist, next, you are jubilating there's a 'light at the end of the tunnel'
Better don't get infected, I tell you of a truth sad shocked
Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by Victar(m): 7:22pm On Jun 16, 2020
dapsoneh:
Its not impossible, its an anti-inflammatory agent

Not only an anti-inflammatory agent but also a steroid,that has the ability to suppress the immune system.
Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by dapsoneh: 7:28pm On Jun 16, 2020
Victar:

Not only an anti-inflammatory agent but also a steroid,that has the ability to suppress the immune system.
Oga, nobody is asking for lecture. I know a lot about steroid than you can imagine from pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, mech of action, side effects and others on each systems.
There issue here is the basis of its usage in the management of Covid-19 not its immunosuppresive effects. If you want to look at it from that angle, then it wont really be useful cos the covid-19 mortality rates among immunksuppresed like diabetics, HIVpatients, CDK patients is quite high and you must have taken it for a long time for it to have immunosuppresive effect
Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by wonder233: 7:38pm On Jun 16, 2020
Your efforts are futile. We know people of your ilk
kikero:

And here is the man who will be our next Einstein and Aristotle combined., a man who is so intelligent that even university professors bow down to him.

On a more serious note, it's really sad that you think that an organisation like the WHO is evil because they refused to accept the drugs you approve of.

Look, let your drugs go through RCT...and if they work the WHO would be pleased to accept your findings, and recommend their use. Is it difficult to ask??

You can make fun of me all day long, but you obviously know nothing about how new drugs are tested. One cannot just wake up and say that X is a cure without it undergoing tests, trials, and tests.

Thank you
Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by blessedchild234(m): 7:51pm On Jun 16, 2020
We've been hearing these things, pls can you guys just hold on till you get a vaccine.
Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jun 16, 2020
dapsoneh:
there are different pathophysiologic mechanisms
First, the outburst of inflammatory cytokines triggers severe degree of inflammation along the resp always causing obstruction and hence, diff with breathing
Also, at the alveoli level, the damage by the cytokines causes destruction of the alveolocarpillary membrane, this causes impairement in gaseous exchange and hence, ventilation perfusion mismatch and difficulty with breathing

You have answered your own question.
Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by dapsoneh: 8:00pm On Jun 16, 2020
TripleOh7:

notvmy question, i lectured u on the question u asked? Go back and read what posted. I took my time to lecture u
Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by dapsoneh: 8:01pm On Jun 16, 2020
TripleOh7:

ifbu can read, this was your earlier question

(Quote) (Report) (Like) (Share)
Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by AnanseK(m): 8:24pm On Jun 16, 2020
Dexamethasone a corticosteroid with potent ant-inflammatory and anti-immune action has always been used in intensive care medicine.
I would be most surprised if it Doctors caring for moribund patients with systems failure and on ventilators were denied the support of Dexamethasone whether their condition originated from viral infection such as covid-19 or not.

It is just like suddenly discovering that adrenaline has positive effect on persons with cardiac arrest( from any cause).
Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by NaijadrivaCars: 8:26pm On Jun 16, 2020
Seun:
Yes. They said, "There was no benefit among those patients who did not require respiratory support"

What is the difference between 50 naira and 500 naira if you're on a ventilator? It will still be cheaper than other drugs, for those who need it.

This COVID matter de really interest you.
Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by AnanseK(m): 8:43pm On Jun 16, 2020
dapsoneh:
Oga, nobody is asking for lecture. I know a lot about steroid than you can imagine from pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, mech of action, side effects and others on each systems.
There issue here is the basis of its usage in the management of Covid-19 not its immunosuppresive effects. If you want to look at it from that angle, then it wont really be useful cos the covid-19 mortality rates among immunksuppresed like diabetics, HIVpatients, CDK patients is quite high and you must have taken it for a long time for it to have immunosuppresive effect

Technically speaking the drug Dexamethasone has no effect on covid-19 infection. The drug effect is on the severe inflammation and the resolution of the aggressive immune body response that a sequel of the infection. In any condition triggering such violent reactions in the body , Dexamethasone would be of great value.

As far as uncomplicated viral infections in general are concerned, steroids like Dexamethasone would normally be expected to worsen the infection.

2 Likes

Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by dapsoneh: 8:57pm On Jun 16, 2020
AnanseK:

Technically speaking the drug Dexamethasone has no effect on covid-19 infection. The drug effect is on the severe inflammation and the resolution of the aggressive immune body response that a sequel of the infection. In any condition triggering such violent reactions in the body , Dexamethasone would be of great value.

As far as uncomplicated viral infections in general are concerned, steroids like Dexamethasone would normally be expected to worsen the infection.

yah was the explanation i just gave u above.., kindly read over and over again
Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by favour32(m): 9:03pm On Jun 16, 2020
Chuksteric:
Excessive use of steroids like dexamethasone is equally as dangerous
Nai most lean girls or ladies dey take kpuff for backyard grin
Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by AnanseK(m): 9:21pm On Jun 16, 2020
dapsoneh:
yah was the explanation i just gave u above.., kindly read over and over again

Why should I read over and over when you are obviously confused in you second paragraph. You are confusing the response to acute immunological reaction with long term immunosuppressant activity.
Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by dapsoneh: 9:24pm On Jun 16, 2020
AnanseK:

Why should I read over and over when you are obviously confused in you second paragraph. You are confusing the response to acute immunological reaction with long term immunosuppressant activity.
read and read again man, again i say read again
Re: Dexamethasone Saves Severely Ill COVID-19 Patients by AnanseK(m): 9:56pm On Jun 16, 2020
dapsoneh:
read and read again man, again i say read again

I don’t read rubbish. Go to school

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ebola: Jim Iyke Flees Liberia / Importance Of Eating Pawpaw Seed / Help!!!! Am I Losing My Sight??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.