Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,768 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:29 AM

Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech (31482 Views)

Patience Jonathan's Alleged Campaign Speech At PDP Rally In Rivers / Photos Of Patience Jonathan Billion Naira Hotel In Yenegoa / Patience Jonathan Yet To Stabilise - Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Rhino5dm: 6:43pm On Jan 28, 2011
ok. show us where it says the reading and writing must be in English from your quote or stop whinning. what if she is doing that smoothly in her local dialect??
does that still classify her as illiterate??

oyb:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_illiteracy

this does sound like our grande dame  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

turai was a judge

oya can any of these defenders tell us if patience has any form of educational qualification?
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by fstranger1: 6:46pm On Jan 28, 2011
oyb:

absolute bollocks. that sort of thinking is responsible for so much of the misery in the world.  i'm sure all those who have looted our country blind were very happy when they did so.

we should allow her to make fools of nigerians because it makes her happy?

How is she making fools of Nigerians?

Do you judge the Italian people by Berlusconi's Actions?
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jan 28, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

ok. show us where it says the reading and writing must be in English or stop whinning.

why do you repeatedly make a fool of yourself

or you want to have us beliveve that she can write in her mother tongue?

did you miss where i pointed out that all written Nigerian languages are written in english characters

so you have still missed it

keep defending illitreacy

sorry lot

the same people who keep knocking abokis for having the highest levels of illiteracy in nigeria  now making desperate excuses for our poster child for the failure of education.

disgraceful.

abeg can someone post our dames gcse?  cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by yodiyokun(f): 6:49pm On Jan 28, 2011
We soo condone mediocrity in this Country. Our leaders can do better and should.

I mean how does someone that reads at  Grade 2 level be a role model? and people are actually justifying this stupidity. The way we think sometimes is absolutely unbelievable.

Look she has had opportunity to improve her delivery and presentation; she chose not to - period. She doesn't see a need for it and that's sad, just sad.

All this leaders you are mentioning, tehy may speak with an heavy nigerian accent, which is expected but they speak fluently.

For example, in the western nations, accents differ based on where you grew up, but that does not affect fluency. We don't notice, because to us they all sound the same. But the canadian accent is different from Southern US or Northen US or even the east cost. However, people are still expected to speak fluently and with a level of sophistication.

I mean that video was very painful to watch and it was diffcult to comprehend her messsage, in spite of the fact that I am familiar with her accent. I am damn sure she didn't understand what she was trying to say and there is no way she would have been able to free flow her message.

Too bad
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jan 28, 2011
fstranger1:

How is she making fools of Nigerians?

Do you judge the Italian people by Berlusconi's Actions?

perhaps i am reading different papers and editorials.

i don't see any columnists defending or celebrating or making excuses for berlusconi because as you said - he can take care of your sorry azz for the rest of your life without shedding a drop of sweat.

all i read is shock, mortification and shame similar to what is being expressed here

but then again, for you public office is its own reward, not so?  tongue

sad. you can't take the nigeria out of the nigerian - we will always make excuses for mediocrity and then wonder why we always fall short
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jan 28, 2011
oyb:

why do you repeatedly make a fool of yourself
or you want to have us beliveve that she can write in her mother tongue?
did you miss where i pointed out that all written Nigerian languages are written in english characters
so you have still missed it
keep defending illitreacy
sorry lot
the same people who keep knocking abokis for having the highest levels of illiteracy in nigeria  now making desperate excuses for our poster child for the failure of education.
disgraceful.
beg can someone post our dames gcse?  cheesy cheesy cheesy
Oyb could it be that you have lost the plot here. In the grand scheme of things it does not matter whether or not she speaks like a news presenter. She is at the end of the day just a housewife and not a politician.
Anyway as far as she does have basic literacy skills that is good enough for me.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by playboy19(m): 6:55pm On Jan 28, 2011
She will never find a reason to improve with this retards backing her mediocrity.

Plus not to mention that any sensible person that hear her read will know that she doesn't know the meaning of what she is reading with the way she pronounces some words. Why is oral English important in English language? Pronunciation differentiates meaning of some words.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jan 28, 2011
tensor777:

Oyb could it be that you have lost the plot here. In the grand scheme of things it does not matter whether she speaks like a news presenter. She is at the end of the day just a housewife and not a politician.
Anyway as far as she does have basic literacy skills that is good enough for me.

no one would give two about her literacy or the lack of it if she did the smart thing and stopped trying to hog the limelight

instead, she decided to confirm what would have been rumours, that she is a functional illiterate.

na by force?
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by fstranger1: 6:57pm On Jan 28, 2011
tensor777:

Oyb could it be that you have lost the plot here. In the grand scheme of things it does not matter whether or not she speaks like a news presenter. She is at the end of the day just a housewife and not a politician.

The British, it seems, have done a lot of damage to our psyche.

And, It will take eons of years to repair the damage.

It is very unfortunate that some of us think like Oyb, DK, Kobokunkie and the rest.

Colonization is indeed a really bad thing. May God save us.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jan 28, 2011
playboy19:

She will never find a reason to improve with this retards backing her mediocrity.

Maybe you should spent more time improving yourself instead of finding faults with someone who can take care of your sorry azz for the rest of your life without shedding a drop of sweat.

true dat  embarassed embarassed
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Rhino5dm: 6:58pm On Jan 28, 2011
In as far she is moulding his cock wellu well and giving him good food. Any other thing na jara!
wetin concern abgero with overload??
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by manny4life(m): 6:58pm On Jan 28, 2011
tensor777:

This is exacly the same reason; the mentality that you have, "basic literacy is just good enough for me" is the reason why Nigeria as a country has gone wrong and backward as an emerging nation. When she was on that poduim, she wa no longer seen as a wife, rather as a leader, though she isn't elected, a person others like to emulate but certainly not this.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jan 28, 2011
fstranger1:

The British, it seems, have done a lot of damage to our psyche.

And, It will take eons of years to repair the damage.

It is very unfortunate that some of us think like Oyb, DK, Kobokunkie and the rest.

Colonization is indeed a really bad thing. May God save us.

drop out of that oyibo institution before you run your mouth. bloody hypocrite. i hope you are trading with cowrie shells, dressing in traditional garb, walking on foot, drinking straight from the well, and speaking in your native tongue, and learning only by oral tradition

all these 'colonial mentality twats NEVER fail to amuse me .

better take your time. make the mistake of stalking me and you will be running crying to the mods like another internet thug  kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss tongue
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by manny4life(m): 7:01pm On Jan 28, 2011
You blame the colonial masters yet you enjoy the benefits; you cannot eat your cake and have it back.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jan 28, 2011
useless twats.

a thousand and one of them here would love for their daughters to grow up to be a michelle obama or a hilary clinton - can they say the same of our grande dame?
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by playboy19(m): 7:02pm On Jan 28, 2011
Michelle Obama was being scold for "just" patting the queen and people was blaming her and Americans generally for not taking time to learn about other people's culture. I'm sure these Patience woman will kneel down for the queen when she meets her. No etiquette at all
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by ABIAZIEMO: 7:03pm On Jan 28, 2011
please make we  hear word!! whats is with this First lady thing?? it isnt constitutional why bother our heads with it,
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by ziccoit: 7:04pm On Jan 28, 2011
No language is superior to other. I am a hater of thinking that English is superior to any other language not to talk of my mother tongue. Be this as it may, whoever think there is nothing wrong with the way the first lady handle English language is suffering from mind blockage.

But I look at this case from different angle. Let me give my reason for my observation;

The people living in big cities such as in Lagos state would go with me that what actually bring the best mastering of English language in term of vocalisation is exposure. You see the pepper sellers that never completed a primary education engaging you in almost flawless English.

Many musicians never go beyond secondary education and when occasions arise to employ English language they always left your mouth agape. What bring this is exposure. I can go on and on.

Now, what level of exposure the aforementioned group had compared to a former second-lady and first-lady of a state; the former number two lady of Nigeria and now the first-lady?

Whatever the kind of deficiencies caused by any kind of physical and environmental factors are supposed to have vanished in the face of the daily challenges as a result of her high status in the society.

Now to my conclusion; I want to believe that the first-lady is probably suffering from a kind of medical problem or congenital abnormality that impairs her vocal area that ultimately presents as poor vocalisation. You would never believe this if you had never seen one.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by playboy19(m): 7:05pm On Jan 28, 2011
ABIAZIEMO:

please make we  hear word!! whats is with this First lady thing?? it isnt constitutional why bother our heads with it,

You shut your mouth, na sensible people dey talk for here. Go alaba go sell some pirated cd.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jan 28, 2011
manny4life:

This is exacly the same reason; the mentality that you have, "basic literacy is just good enough for me" is the reason why Nigeria as a country has gone wrong and backward as an emerging nation. When she was on that poduim, she wa no longer seen as a wife, rather as a leader, though she isn't elected, a person others like to emulate but certainly not this.
Lets not get things twisted. As Beaf said it is not for me, you, or anyone else for that matter to run down another person's wife who owes her present position strictly due to the position of her husband.
On a more positive note she was courageous enough to read the speech even though she knows she does not have perfect diction. I am sure that in the years to come she would get better if her husband remains in power.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by cap28: 7:12pm On Jan 28, 2011
this is how respected first ladies sound - refined, confident and intelligible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=790hG6qBPx0
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by manny4life(m): 7:19pm On Jan 28, 2011
tensor777:

Lets not get things twisted. As Beaf said it is not for me, you, or anyone else for that matter to run down another person's wife who owes her present position strictly due to the position of her husband.
On a more positive note she was courageous enough to read the speech even though she knows she does not have perfect diction. I am sure that in the years to come she would get better if her husband remains in power.

Position of her husband or not is irrelevant. She has an option to stay mute, it isn't an obligation nor a requirement; however, she chose to read the speech knowing full well she sucks in it. In addition, her husband has long been in different positions of govt; that is more than enough time to improve in her reading and composure skills. Although you might call her courageous, that's fine, but still doesn't change the fact she's not good at it. On that note, she can stay away from the public and be a good house wife, that's a very good option for her.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by fstranger1: 7:20pm On Jan 28, 2011
cap28:

And, while you are at it, could you be so kind as to post a link where she delivered a speech, any speech at all, in a foreign language?

How many languages does she speak again?
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by playboy19(m): 7:25pm On Jan 28, 2011
tensor777:

Look, it takes more than courage to be a first man and a first lady. "No offense" but have you ever smell power before? Do have a local chairman in your family or better still, how rich is your dad? If all that is not applicable to you, find a rich man's wife and ask her what it takes to be a rich man's wife. Not to talk of being the First lady.

You have to be up to date. You have step your game up all the time, English language should be the least of your problem, damn, don't you people get it.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by isalegan2: 7:35pm On Jan 28, 2011
cap28:

I tried to listen but I was too distracted by her WONKY TEETH.  Oh, yeah, and the glare from her GIANT FOREHEAD!!!

You see what I did there?  It's a low blow.  Same as tearing apart some middle-age housewife, who happens to be married to a politician, for not sounding like a. . .  I don't even know wth!

And Michelle ain't all that.  Dig beneath the surface.

Hi, Cap!  smiley
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by fstranger1: 7:40pm On Jan 28, 2011
isale_gan2:

I tried to listen but I was too distracted by her WONKY TEETH.  Oh, yeah, and the glare from her GIANT FOREHEAD!!!

You see what I did there?  It's a low blow.  Same as tearing apart some middle-age housewife, who happens to be married to a politician, for not sounding like a. . .  I don't even know wth!

Hi, Cap!  smiley

True talk
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by cap28: 7:46pm On Jan 28, 2011
fstranger1:

And, while you are at it, could you be so kind as to post a link where she delivered a speech, any speech at all, in a foreign language?

How many languages does she speak again?

I thought we'd been over this before - English is nigeria's official language -there is no excuse for Patience Jonathan not knowing how to read fluently in her own nation's official language.

Michelle Obama does not need to speak any other language other than english as that is her nation's language, if she so desire's she can learn how to become fluent in spanish, french, italian or even igbo but these are optional requirements not necessities, it is necessary,  on the other hand for Patience Jonathan to be able to communicate and read english fluently in order for her to get her message across to nigeria's multi ethnic populace.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by playboy19(m): 7:51pm On Jan 28, 2011
isale_gan2:

Hi, Cap!  smiley
fstranger1:

True talk

fstranger1 how old are you? Whats the true talk in that. WONKY TEETH and GIANT FOREHEAD? How does that make her less etiquettical?
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jan 28, 2011
cap28:

I thought we'd been over this before - English is nigeria's official language -there is no excuse for Patience Jonathan not knowing how to read fluently in her own nation's official language.

Michelle Obama does not need to speak any other language other than english as that is her nation's language, if she so desire's she can learn how to become fluent in spanish, french, italian or even igbo but these are optional requirements not necessities, it is necessary,  on the other hand for Patience Jonathan to be able to communicate and read english fluently in order for her to get her message across to nigeria's multi ethnic populace.  
You say that although Michelle Obama is a highly experienced and successful legal practitioner. So it is not a fair comparison moreso as Michelle was born and bred in a monolingual culture.
How many Nigerian housewives speak the Queen's English outside formal settings?
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jan 28, 2011
playboy19:

fstranger1 how old are you? Whats the true talk in that. WONKY TEETH and GIANT FOREHEAD? How does that make her less etiquettical?

as if we were talking about the grande dames conspicuous absence of physical charms . . .

bunch of teeny boppers embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by cap28: 7:55pm On Jan 28, 2011
isale_gan2:

I tried to listen but I was too distracted by her WONKY TEETH.  Oh, yeah, and the glare from her GIANT FOREHEAD!!!

You see what I did there?  It's a low blow.  Same as tearing apart some middle-age housewife, who happens to be married to a politician, for not sounding like a. . .  I don't even know wth!

And Michelle ain't all that.  Dig beneath the surface.

Hi, Cap!  smiley

Hows it going?

No what you did there was get personal and make a below the belt quip which has no bearing on Michelle's  abilities as first lady.  My criticism of Patience Jonathan has nothing to do with her personal appearance and everything to do with her inability to read basic english.  

Can you imagine for one minute what the american press would do to Michelle Obama if she read a speech using ebonics - can you imagine the way the whole of white america would descend on her.

Im actually quite suprised that you actually took such a personal shot at Michelle's appearance - i thought as a black woman you would know better than that, surely thats the domain of bit.chy WASPs?

hmm!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jan 28, 2011
cap28:

Hows it going?

No what you did there was get personal and make a below the belt quip which has no bearing on Michelle's  abilities as first lady.  My criticism of Patience Jonathan has nothing to do with her personal appearance and everything to do with her inability to read basic english.  

Can you imagine for one minute what the american press would do to Michelle Obama if she read a speech using ebonics - can you imagine the way the whole of white america would descend on her.

Im actually quite suprised that you actually took such a personal shot at Michelle's appearance - i thought as a black woman you would know better than that, surely thats the domain of bit.chy WASPs?

hmm!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

now thats an inferirority complex. someone hand her a hot comb cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply)

Ogah Not Eligible To Be Abia Governor- Court. / Crisis: Tension In Jos, Many Killed / PDP Copied American Embassy And 10 Downing Street On Election Tribunal (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.