Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,228 members, 7,818,773 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech (31483 Views)

Patience Jonathan's Alleged Campaign Speech At PDP Rally In Rivers / Photos Of Patience Jonathan Billion Naira Hotel In Yenegoa / Patience Jonathan Yet To Stabilise - Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by DeeJay20: 3:09pm On Jan 28, 2011
Whiteguru:

n d roles she shd playfor christ's sake guys, who even needs a first lady!!!  The office, d role, d pomp n pagentry dat goes wit d office r all unconstitutional!  Shw me in d constitution were we av d office of d first lady.  It all has to do wit ds unwantd, unnecessary duplicatn of roles.  Shee shd go home n take care of ha kids!!!! Women for change ma foot!  Spending billions of taxpayers moneyin trottin arund d country n speakin trash. D hilary clintons n ellen saleaf of ds world did n ride on d back of 35% to leadership positions, they rose with their brains n wits!  So patience should go home n restbb

STOP BEING A MUPPET!!!
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by HiTek1: 3:12pm On Jan 28, 2011
DeeJay20:

Dude u need to fix-up, why r you soo "hung-up" on this
british accent crap,

STOP MAJORING ON MINORS, !

HER ENGLISH SKILLS ARE CRAP, ! PERIOD!!!

If you didn't notice, it appears the poster resides in the UK.

The argument is now turning from "She can't read" to "Her English skills are crap". Which one is it because there is a big difference between the two.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by ADint(m): 3:32pm On Jan 28, 2011
Gbawe:

We can all appreciate that but dont you think Nigeria's image is far more serious than the need to indulge Patience Jonathan ? She is our First Lady yet her position should not make her above reproach . If not a[b] grammatically competent [/b] speaker then she should not speak in public . It is very simple. The rest of us can't be placed on a guilt trip because we don't wan't to hear a cringeworthy error-laden speech from our First Lady speaking in our official language. You forget the days when we had a politicians answer Coke, Fanta ,Sprite when asked the minerals to be found in his State !!! Those who are our visible representatives should present a good image of us . If they cannot do that then they should remain in the background .  The world has moved on. We are in a PR age .

So because she is not fluid and articulate in English she should not speak in public?? Is that a new UN resolution?? The questions is, does she make sense? Is she contributing to the development of Nigerian women and children and our society at large? - which is an area I see she has taken as her focus area, and is being quite proactive in.

She is communicating enough for anyone who is not looking at her with a preconceived judgemental and prejudiced mindset. It was eloquent and articulate people that have always brought the world to its knees, be it through Wars or complex financial manipulation the result of which we are experiencing world wide today.

What have the well spoken and image-centric leaders we have had in Nigeria produced so far

Nigerians are far too image-centric without bothering too much about substance and our own peculiarity as a nation.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Krayola(m): 3:41pm On Jan 28, 2011
Her reading skills are fine IMO. I understood every word. Not sure what else communication is supposed to accomplish.

This self hate amongst Nigerians is quite disgusting to witness.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by cap28: 3:41pm On Jan 28, 2011
Hi_Tek:

@ Cap28,

Did you actually watch the speech on Youtube or are you going by what somebody told you? I have mentioned that the only place I saw her stumble was in trying to pronounce a South African name. Please point me to any other part of the speech where she stumbled.

The fact that she does not speak with a British accent does not mean she cannot read. Did you hear the following people speak when they were in power:

Murtala Mohammed
Shehu Shagari
Sani Abacha
Olusegun Obasanjo
Umaru Yar'adua

Did you raise similar complaints? If not, you should because they all had thick Northern or Southern Nigerian accents.

Mrs Jonathan stumbled all the way through the speech, she found it difficult to pronounce words like :"participate", "advocacy" and "women" she read in a painfully slow and hesitant manner indicating that she had no understanding of what she was reading.

Why have you diverted into talking about accents?

Right from the beginning my argument has beeen about her inability to read english not her accent.

The above mentioned people were able to read their speeches fluently - something that Mrs Jonathan seems to be incapable of doing - i dont understand why you are now throwing in the point about accent.

Also the fact that i live in the UK is neither here nor there, at the end of the day i am a nigerian and i believe that i have the right to be concerned about a woman who is supposed to be representing nigeria on the world stage.

Why can't you accept the fact that Mrs Jonathan has no business making speeches in public in a language which she has difficulty reading and speaking?
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:43pm On Jan 28, 2011
It goes without saying - Education must be in the top 5 priority improvement areas in Nigeria. Most times Nigerians over-look signs of impending disaster and choose to make excuses for failure without examining the symptoms and curing the illness. Patience level of literacy (or should i say Illiteracy) is damning. It takes a President who is truly honest to say. This is not good enough for Nigeria- This is not good enough for me. If children are failing WAEC exams at an alarming rate, why blame them when the 1st Lady cannot do any better. One person who struck me as a stark illiterate was factional OPC leader Gani Adams. Look at him today - polished and educated. I watched him give an interview and i could not believe the level of change in his intellect and awareness. What about Synagogue Pastor TB Joshua, these days he can actually give preach rather than spout phrases he has memorized.

If GEJ is fine with Patience, then it is his personal business, When it starts to show up on national and international circles, it becomes Nigeria's business. She must get educated even if it is just basic primary school education
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by KnowAll(m): 3:44pm On Jan 28, 2011
Ist Ladies in proper democracy are not seen let alone gallivanting all over the place. If she is doing her primary duty, which is cook for her husband who would know if she can speak or not, there are more pressing problems facing our democracy than this distraction.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by fstranger1: 3:45pm On Jan 28, 2011
lagerwhenindoubt:

It goes without saying - Education must be in the top 5 priority improvement areas in Nigeria. Most times Nigerians over-look signs of impending disaster and choose to make excuses for failure without examining the symptoms and curing the illness. Patience level of literacy (or should i say Illiteracy) is damning. It takes a President who is truly honest to say. This is not good enough for Nigeria- This is not good enough for me. If children are failing WAEC exams at an alarming rate, why blame them when the 1st Lady cannot do any better. One person who struck me as a stark illiterate was factional OPC leader Gani Adams. Look at him today - polished and educated. I watched him give an interview and i could not believe the level of change in his intellect and awareness. What about Synagogue Pastor TB Joshua, these days he can actually give preach rather than spout phrases he has memorized.

If GEJ is fine with Patience, then it is his personal business, When it starts to show up on national and international circles, it becomes Nigeria's business. She must get educated even if it is just basic primary school education

Ode ni e!
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Anybaba: 3:46pm On Jan 28, 2011
YOU GUYS ARE IDIOTS ! WHAT IS WRONG WITH HER SPEECH? UNA MAMA FOR HOUSE FIT READ LIKE THAT? OR IS IT JUST A KNACK TO INSULT ANYTHING JONATHAN? IDIOTS !
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by helegunje(m): 3:49pm On Jan 28, 2011
Contact Me if you have problems such as FAILURE IN BUSINESS, UNEMPLOYMENT, BAD TRADE, PROMOTION, COURT CASES, POLITICAL ELECTION, FINANCIAL PROBLEMS,ETC.

I also Cure diseases such as : EPILEPSY, CANCER, TUBERCULOSIS, BARENESS, POOR ERECTION, STROKE, S.T.Ds, APPENDIX, ETC.

CONTACTS
helegunje@yahoo.com
elegunjeherbalist.webs.com

Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by juman(m): 3:52pm On Jan 28, 2011
This is good enough.
The woman is not an elected official, she is just an appendage to her husband.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:53pm On Jan 28, 2011
^^^ Stop Shouting. it is not a knack or hobby, just people's observation of STARK reality. This is the same Patience Dame who EFCC had in their sights for corruption during DSPs corrupt tenure as Governor (BTW he is now on Jonathan's Campaign Train). Nigerians our memories and attention is as short as the distance between our mouth and nose  angry
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by HiTek1: 3:56pm On Jan 28, 2011
cap28:

she found it difficult to pronounce words like :"participate", "advocacy" and "women"

You truly believe that Mrs Jonathan cannot pronounce "women"? Well there is no point in taking this argument any further if that is the case. All I ask is that people take just 5 minutes, watch the speech and make up their own minds.

It is at the link below for all to see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7bOClsDc-s
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by ofala(m): 3:57pm On Jan 28, 2011
Is there anywhere in our constitution where they mentioned anything like first lady or her office?Its insulting to our intelligence for these women to spend our monies on frivolities when our schools are in shambles(to say the least), We are making these first ladies so unnecessarily important, !
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Krayola(m): 3:59pm On Jan 28, 2011
cap28:

Mrs Jonathan stumbled all the way through the speech, she found it difficult to pronounce words like :"participate", "advocacy" and "women" she read in a painfully slow and hesitant manner indicating that she had no understanding of what she was reading.

Will u please explain how reading in a "slow and hesitant manner" indicates a lack of understanding of what one is reading?

cap28:

Right from the beginning my argument has beeen about her inability to read english not her accent.

IMO she was not unable to read. She read the speech and I understood it. Many other people did too. I think it is neither accurate nor fair to suggest she is unable to read.

cap28:

Why can't you accept the fact that Mrs Jonathan has no business making speeches in public in a language which she has difficulty reading and speaking?

SHe did not seem to me to have difficulty reading english. I noticed she had difficulty with some names that i think were unfamiliar, but I don't think that is a problem. Foreign names are often difficult to pronounce properly.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by eghost247(m): 4:01pm On Jan 28, 2011
interesting
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by HiTek1: 4:05pm On Jan 28, 2011
@ Krayola,

Thank you for your post. At least you made out time to watch the speech. I doubt most people commenting here actually watched the speech. Again the only time I saw her stumble throughout the 5 minute speech was when she tried to pronounce a South African name.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by manny4life(m): 4:07pm On Jan 28, 2011
I fell of my chair when I was watching this video, not only is this funny but sad as well. I'm sure that a woman of her status should be very well exposed educated or not, but I certainly see the opposite on here. Fact, she should NOT represent Nigeria in pubic functions, better yet limit her communication of speeches to avoid embarrassment.

I kept laughing, this is entertaining.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Bawss1(m): 4:08pm On Jan 28, 2011
ADint:

I[b]So because she is not fluid and articulate in English she should not speak in public?? [/b]

YES! It is not compulsory that she speaks in public. Why should she disgrace the country like that.

ADint:

She is communicating enough for anyone who is not looking at her with a preconceived judgemental and prejudiced mindset. It was eloquent and articulate people that have always brought the world to its knees, be it through Wars or complex financial manipulation the result of which we are experiencing world wide today.

So since it is eloquent and articulate people who have brought the world to its knees we should now hail the mediocre and terrible public speakers as the new messiahs? A failure of logic I tell you if we reason that way.

It is pitiful that one tries to defend what is apparently an embarrassing condition, the woman should stay away from microphones or if that is unavoidable (which it is not) get first rate teachers to school her in the art of public speaking.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Anybaba: 4:10pm On Jan 28, 2011
Dont mind the 'olodo'. The next time some Nigerians , from the majority ethnic groups are arguing , even if erroneously,[b] that minority groups are not sophisticated enough to lead Nigeria , they will [/b]use the 'area champion' utterances of folks like Beaf to buttress their point i.e Patience Jonathan is "another man's wife" when she effs up but she is "her excellency" first Lady to all Nigerians when Jonathan needs to cited as an effective President.

DID A NIGERIAN MAKE THIS FOOLISH STATEMENT (EMPHASIS ON THE BOLD PART)? IS THIS WHAT THIS THREAD IS ALL ABOUT ? WHAT IS THE LEVEL OF EDUCATION OF SOME OF THE FOLKS THAT COMMENT HERE? IT IS QUITE SAD THAT AT THIS POINT IN OUR NATIONAL LIFE, SOME FOLKS ARE JUST THIS silly ( I HAVE NO BETTER WORD OTHER THAN silly). IS IT WHY ATTEMPTS ARE MADE TO VILIFY PATIENCE?  I HAVE LISTENED TO HER SPEECH AND SHE COMMUNICATED EFFECTIVELY. I DARE SAY THE PENCHANT TO INSULT JONATHAN AND EVERYTHING HIS MAY JUST BE AS A RESULT OF THE' SOPHISTICATION OF THE MAJORITY' ! HOW SILLY ! HOW INANE !
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by cap28: 4:11pm On Jan 28, 2011
I will never forget the amount of criticism that  Tony Blair's wife,  Cherie was subjected to by the british press - all this despite  the fact that she was a successful barrister and in line for promotion as a high court judge at the time, still her every movement was scrutinised right down to the most minute detail, now we have Michelle Obama - Harvard and Princeton educated lawyer also being mercilessly scrutinised and in some cases unfairly criticised and lampooned by the american press - these are women who can actually hold their own in public, now compare that to Mrs Jonathan who has quite frankly done nothing to merit the level of deference and respect that some nigerians are according her, a woman who can not even read a pre written speech and yet there are people coming on here making unnecessary excuses to defend all these public gaffes that she has been making, forgetting that she acts as a mirror of nigeria's image at home and abroad.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Bawss1(m): 4:13pm On Jan 28, 2011
^^ No mind them. angry
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by manny4life(m): 4:14pm On Jan 28, 2011
I think her problem isn't just reading but speaking as well. If one cannot structure their sentences in a manner to their vocals, look at her, reading like a village illiterate. Please join toast masters club and then tell me that you find nothing wrong with this. When you read, and speaking at a presentation or speech, you DON'T speak word by word, that is no longer reading. You read with with clarity, at an average speed, less stress on the vocals etc.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Anybaba: 4:14pm On Jan 28, 2011
fools thread. i am out.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Krayola(m): 4:14pm On Jan 28, 2011
Haha

I think the real joke/embarrassment here is that some actually believe that being unable to speak English "fluently" is an embarrassment to the country.

What kind of embarrassment exactly is it?
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by manny4life(m): 4:20pm On Jan 28, 2011
Krayola:

Haha

I think the real joke/embarrassment here is that some actually believe that being unable to speak English "fluently" is an embarrassment to the country.

What kind of embarrassment exactly is it?

If you cannot speak, YOU CANNOT READ, period. This is a cookie cutter business. Speaking very well is the first step to reading very well, speaking lays the foundation for better readers. If you cannot speak fluently, and freely, like let you tongue loose, there is high probability that you will flunk when it comes to reading. Speaking fluently makes good readers; it’s a tried and true learning process.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Krayola(m): 4:34pm On Jan 28, 2011
manny4life:

If you cannot speak, YOU CANNOT READ, period.

But she spoke, and she read. So that ^^, if it were true (which it isn't), does not apply to her.

She read a speech. I heard it and understood everything she said. I did not have to strain my ears or make any extra effort to understand her. I think your critique is a little too superficial.

manny4life:

Speaking very well is the first step to reading very well, speaking lays the foundation for better readers. If you cannot speak fluently, and freely, like let you tongue loose, there is high probability that you will flunk when it comes to reading. Speaking fluently makes good readers; it’s a tried and true learning process.

I'm a stutterer. I guess my mother should have removed me from school right off the bat because I never had a chance.

I think the quality of your arguments are more embarrassing than Patience Jonathan. grin
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by titsqueez(m): 4:36pm On Jan 28, 2011
at least she is not as bad as rita from koko mansion. that babe own na different level.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by UyiIredia(m): 4:36pm On Jan 28, 2011
maybe i should consider Nuhu Ribadu
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Bawss1(m): 4:42pm On Jan 28, 2011
Please don't tow the stutterer line here, Patience is obviously not one. I bet she speaks her native language fluently however thats not the case here. Her reading of a prepared speech was terrible, it was not because she was born with any speech impediments, that much is clear. Her command of the English language - Nigeria's official language - is very poor so thats why her speech delivery came out all forms of bad.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by ADint(m): 4:47pm On Jan 28, 2011
Bawss1:

YES! It is not compulsory that she speaks in public. Why should she disgrace the country like that.

So since it is eloquent and articulate people who have brought the world to its knees we should now hail the mediocre and terrible public speakers as the new messiahs? A failure of logic I tell you if we reason that way.

It is pitiful that one tries to defend what is apparently an embarrassing condition, the woman should stay away from microphones or if that is unavoidable (which it is not) get first rate teachers to school her in the art of public speaking.

She is speaking the way quite a few Nigerians even the educated ones speak. Listen to any Nigerian news channel for a few hours and you would come across a lot of instances of educated Nigerians speaking like that. Nothing at all disgraceful with the way she read her speech.

The second point was to point out that being eloquent and articulate (in English) does not necessarily translate to one having a constructive disposition/intent nor is it a yardstick for making an informed decision about someone's abilities. This is not about being a messiah or not, the more important thing is for your thinking processes and deeds to be 'eloquent' and 'articulate'.
Re: Patience Jonathan Unable To Read Own Speech by Krayola(m): 4:48pm On Jan 28, 2011
Bawss1:

Please don't tow the stutterer line here, Patience is obviously not one. I bet she speaks her native language fluently however thats not the case here. Her reading of a prepared speech was terrible, it was not because she was born with any speech impediments, that much is clear. Her command of the English language - Nigeria's official language - is very poor so thats why her speech delivery came out all forms of bad.

Her command of the English language is not excellent, but it is IMO far from poor. Most English speaking people will understand her with little difficulty. That is what communication is supposed to do. the rest na long storeeee

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

30 soldiers feared dead in Military Operation to liberate Gwoza. / Full Speech: Buhari Addresses The 70th UN Assembly (Photos) / Fateema Aduke Mohammed Supporter Killed In Lagos, Suspends Her Campaign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.