Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,391 members, 7,815,834 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:09 PM

Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? - Phones (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? (47934 Views)

35k For 64gb ROM 4gb RAM Gionee M7 Power 6.0inch Screen Octa Core Android Ver / This Is Huawei’s Nova 5: 8gb Ram, 128gb Rom, 6.4″ Display, Octa-core Processor / What Is The Cheapest Hexa-core Or Octa-core Phone With At Least 2GB Ram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 4:48pm On Jun 20, 2020
Mizik:

Well explained.

Oga boss grin
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by Laboni: 4:53pm On Jun 20, 2020
atheistandproud:

For Smartphones, The System on a Chip is also called a processor. This is different from what you have on a PC or Mainframe.

The individual CPUs that make up the SoC are the cores.
Read initially with PCs in mind. But when you talk about processors on smartphones, where will you place snapdragons, Apple processors and the rest? Because I didn’t see where you mention that.
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by Hndrrxxx(m): 4:55pm On Jun 20, 2020
Awesome �
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 4:55pm On Jun 20, 2020
Laboni:
Read initially with PCs in mind. But when you talk about processors on smartphones, where will you place snapdragons, Apple processors and the rest? Because I didn’t see where you mention that.

I would implore that you check the global antutu benchmarks for that sir.
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by lawrenzo007(m): 4:57pm On Jun 20, 2020
Nice one OP... I just learn a new thing
Thanks.
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by Adau123(m): 4:59pm On Jun 20, 2020
Goodwork,this is my first time of getting a very nice and educative article in nairaland.Appreciate keep it up thank you.

1 Like

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by hardeycute(m): 5:00pm On Jun 20, 2020
iammolise:
OP smooth one here... Please shed more light on that "Snapdragon" matter again, I usually see that word when phone searching ... What is it really, is it the smartest of cameras or something(my thoughts).
cc atheistandproud
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 5:03pm On Jun 20, 2020
iammolise:
OP smooth one here... Please shed more light on that "Snapdragon" matter again, I usually see that word when phone searching ... What is it really, is it the smartest of cameras or something(my thoughts).

https://www.nairaland.com/5847896/qualcomm-snapdragon-all-need-know
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 5:04pm On Jun 20, 2020
lawrenzo007:

Nice one OP... I just learn a new thing
Thanks.

Adau123:
Goodwork,this is my first time of getting a very nice and educative article in nairaland.Appreciate keep it up thank you.

Thanks guys
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jun 20, 2020
atheistandproud:
The processor or SoC (System on a chip) of a Smartphone can be thought of as the brain of that smartphone.

This processor contains several things. The most important of which are CPUs.

A CPU or Central Processing Unit is responsible for carrying out the tasks and managing the functions of your Smartphone computer.

Your Processor in your Smartphone may contain several CPUs.

Each of this CPUs inside the SoC are referred to as a CORE.

If a processor has:

1 CPU, it's called a Single Core processor

2 CPUs, it's called a Dual Core processor

4 CPUs, it's called a Quad Core processor

6 CPUs, it's called a Hexa Core processor

8 CPUs, it's called a Octa Core processor

10 CPUs, it's called a Deca Core processor

Types of CPUs for Smartphones (Android)

The main company that designs CPUs for all androids is called ARM.

They then sell their design to SoC retailers/manufacturers who then use the design by ARM to build their own Unique CPU.

There are two types of CPUs widely in use in the market now to build SoCs. They are:

1. The ARM cortex A50 series which are used for only light tasks such as making calls, scrolling through FB, WhatsApp chatting, reading an eBook etc.
The A50 series consists of A53, A55 and A57

The exception here is the A57 core which is a powerful core used for heavy tasks. It is the predecessor of the A70 Series. (thank you @Naijasensei)

2. The ARM cortex A70 series which are used for heavy tasks like HD gaming, Video calls, Screen casting etc.
The A70 series consists of A72, A73, A75, A76, A77

A77 is the best currently in the market.

A few questions people may want to ask...

1. Do more Cores equal a better performance?
Well yes and no.

Yes because more CPU helps share the load of processing data and outputs the results faster making apps feel smoother and run faster.

No. Because sometimes more CPU cores isn't necessarily the answer. A Quad core A76/A55 CPU set will outperform an Octa core A57 set by far.

Then there's also optimization. This is when apps and tasks are tailor made to run smoothly on CPUs. This is why a Quad core iPhone may completely destroy an Octa-core midrange android device.

This answer to this question relies on you the individual looking at the CPU spec sheet as well as clock speed.

2. If two CPU cores are compared, is the one with the faster clock speed the best?

Well yes and no again.

Yes, if the two CPUs are of the same architecture e.g A72 Vs A72. They are both equal in every way so the only way to set them apart is the clock speed.

No. If the two CPUs are of different architectures e.g A73 Vs A76. If you like, dash the A73 a clock speed of 2.5GHz, an A76 of 2.0GHz will stroll pass it on a speedtest like Usain Bolt.

For any other question, please comment and I'll answer to the best of my knowledge.

Cheers.
Hope you keep posting more. I wish nairaland could pay you. Yeah I now realise why clock speed doesn't really matter when comparing two different architectures. Things like cache size, CPU technogy pipelining for example and etc and even most important how many clock cycles it takes to decode and execute an instruction and the size of an instruction.
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 5:09pm On Jun 20, 2020
Ausrichie:

Hope you keep posting more. I wish nairaland could pay you. Yeah I now realise why clock speed doesn't really matter when comparing two different architectures. Things like cache size, CPU technogy pipelining for example and etc and even most important how many clock cycles it takes to decode and execute an instruction and the size of an instruction.

Bless you!!!!
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jun 20, 2020
atheistandproud:

For Smartphones, The System on a Chip is also called a processor. This is different from what you have on a PC or Mainframe.

The individual CPUs that make up the SoC are the cores.
Does a SoC mean that the RAM and ROM are soldered onto the chip
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by Laboni: 5:14pm On Jun 20, 2020
atheistandproud:

I would implore that you check the global antutu benchmarks for that sir.
Give me a link
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 5:17pm On Jun 20, 2020
Ausrichie:

Yes.

The CPU cores, the registers, the RAM, the ROM, the GPU, the modems and radios for BT and WiFi are all soldered onto one small chip hence the name, system on a chip.

Snapdragon solders everything into one chip but Exynos, Mediatek and Kirin have their GPUs soldered separately. This is because Qualcomm makes both Snapdragon and Adreno chips by itself.

Exynos, Mediatek, Kirin and Unisoc (the worst SoC maker that designs Itel SoC) do not manufacture their own GPU, they either buy Mali GPU or Power VR GPU and add to complete their own SoC. They may solder this on the motherboard separately from their SoC.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jun 20, 2020
atheistandproud:

Yes.

The CPU cores, the registers, the RAM, the ROM, the GPU, the modems and radios for BT and WiFi are all soldered onto one small chip hence the name, system on a chip.

Snapdragon solders everything into one chip but Exynos, Mediatek and Kirin have their GPUs soldered separately. This is because Qualcomm makes both Snapdragon and Adreno chips by itself.

Exynos, Mediatek, Kirin and Unisoc (the worst SoC maker that designs Itel SoC) do not manufacture their own GPU, they either buy Mali GPU or Power VR GPU and add to complete their own SoC. They may solder this on the motherboard separately from their SoC.
They should have left out the ROM. What the hell, there is nothing in a phone you can replace once a smartphone dies that is the end.
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 5:20pm On Jun 20, 2020
Ausrichie:

I dey fear spambots. Just pull out Google.

Search for Tech centurion SoC rankings, GSM Arena SoC rankings or go to triple w dot antutu dot com slash rankings.

My apologies once again.
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 5:22pm On Jun 20, 2020
Ausrichie:

They should have left out the ROM. What the hell, there is nothing in a phone you can replace once a smartphone dies that is the end.

Yes oh. That's the end of Solomon Omokiniovo Grandy. It's called an integrated circuit and laptop PCs are heading towards this design too

Soon you won't be able to swap out these things in your lappy.
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by Karlifate: 5:23pm On Jun 20, 2020
Quite informative.

1 Like

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by Osasnidas(m): 5:24pm On Jun 20, 2020
atheistandproud:

Na Olamide phone you dey talk about.

My mind made the connection just now

grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 5:28pm On Jun 20, 2020
Osasnidas:

grin grin grin grin grin

Baba we made FP again.

Cc
SunshineV
DrJPrince
Krazydave
MrBone2
Ddjay
Seunfly
Prettybunny
Dragnetisakuk et al
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by Osasnidas(m): 5:31pm On Jun 20, 2020
atheistandproud:

Baba we made FP again.

Cc
SunshineV
DrJPrince
Krazydave
MrBone2
Ddjay
Seunfly
Prettybunny
Dragnetisakuk et al

Yes bro... Keep it up.... I am always looking forward to every enlightening post or topic you make...

1 Like

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 5:35pm On Jun 20, 2020
Osasnidas:

Yes bro... Keep it up.... I am always looking forward to every enlightening post or topic you make...

Thank you embarassed cry
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by AleagueEdu: 5:48pm On Jun 20, 2020
Thanks op

I'm informed
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by DragnetisaKuk(f): 5:49pm On Jun 20, 2020
atheistandproud:

Baba we made FP again.

Cc
Sunshin.eV
DrJ.Prince
Krazy.dave
MrB.one2
Ddj.ay
Seu.nfly
Prettyb.unny
Dragnetis.akuk et al

Great informative post as usual. Your content deserve to be on the FP.
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by Kingnelson9: 5:56pm On Jun 20, 2020
Pls what is clock speed?is it nt inside the Soc? Secondly what while is most window phones slow in response while iphone is very fast ....?
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by Faithful4real(m): 5:57pm On Jun 20, 2020
atheistandproud:

Thanks guys
Thanks for the info bro. You are the best ✊

1 Like

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by sylve11: 5:59pm On Jun 20, 2020
Nice one @ op. cool

1 Like

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by KrazyDave16(m): 6:02pm On Jun 20, 2020
atheistandproud:

Baba we made FP again.

Cc
SunshineV
DrJPrince
Krazydave
MrBone2
Ddjay
Seunfly
Prettybunny
Dragnetisakuk et al
Congratulations bro, been reading up on this and CPU architectures. It wasn't easy but it opened parts of my mind to a whole new world I've been trying to understand.
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 6:08pm On Jun 20, 2020
Kingnelson9:
Pls what is clock speed?is it nt inside the Soc? Secondly what while is most window phones slow in response while iphone is very fast ....?

A clock cycle is the time taken for a CPU to fetch an information plus instruction, decode it and execute it.

It is measured in Hertz.

E.g when you give your phone the instruction to open Facebook, the time taken for it to load the app and give you the results on your screen.

It is said to be how fast a computer is.

1 Like

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 6:10pm On Jun 20, 2020
AleagueEdu:
Thanks op

I'm informed

You're welcome
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 6:22pm On Jun 20, 2020
Kingnelson9:

Secondly, Windows phone are slower than iPhone because of optimization.

Windows phones run on applications that are ported (or modified) from PC or Android. These apps may work on windows OS but may not be fully compatible hence it may lag or stutter.

iPhones on the other hand make sure that any app designed for them must be made from scratch. From the beginning on iOS software template so it's 100% compatible with whatever iPhone that you're using, so long as it can run the latest OS. If the app get small coma, apple won't let it near their Playstore because it will give them a bad name.

The app will be tested extensively by their software developers as well as pilot testers to ensure that the app is very smooth and very fast before they'll release it to the public.

1 Like

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jun 20, 2020
Very informative thread. Nice one OP.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How To Know What Google Knows About You / What Do You Do When Your Phone With A Non Removable Battery Falls Into Water?? / Man Surprises Lady Who Returned His Phone With N10,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.