Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,122 members, 7,821,847 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:01 PM

Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? - Phones (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? (48001 Views)

35k For 64gb ROM 4gb RAM Gionee M7 Power 6.0inch Screen Octa Core Android Ver / This Is Huawei’s Nova 5: 8gb Ram, 128gb Rom, 6.4″ Display, Octa-core Processor / What Is The Cheapest Hexa-core Or Octa-core Phone With At Least 2GB Ram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by helpfindbolu: 11:16pm On Jun 20, 2020
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 11:25pm On Jun 20, 2020
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by scanner1000(m): 12:43am On Jun 21, 2020
Which one has better GPU PowerVR GE8320 or Mali-T880MP2
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by scanner1000(m): 12:48am On Jun 21, 2020
Which of these phones is advisable to buy.

Infinix hot 7 pro or tecno spark 3 .

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by ernxto(m): 1:17am On Jun 21, 2020
scanner1000:

None sir.

1 Like

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 1:45am On Jun 21, 2020
scanner1000:
Which one has better GPU PowerVR GE8320 or Mali-T880MP2

The T880 MP2
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 1:45am On Jun 21, 2020
scanner1000:

The Infinix has better specs
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by rash47(m): 2:05am On Jun 21, 2020
atheistandproud:

Redmi Note 7.

Funny enough, in all my endeavors i have never met anyone using this redmi, like nairaland is a different country where everyone uses it

1 Like

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by bjayx: 3:09am On Jun 21, 2020
My android phone is Qualcomm octa core. Wetin DAT one mean
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by Runningwater(m): 4:03am On Jun 21, 2020
atheistandproud:
The processor or SoC (System on a chip) of a Smartphone can be thought of as the brain of that smartphone.

This processor contains several things. The most important of which are CPUs.

A CPU or Central Processing Unit is responsible for carrying out the tasks and managing the functions of your Smartphone computer.

Your Processor in your Smartphone may contain several CPUs.

Each of this CPUs inside the SoC are referred to as a CORE.

If a processor has:

1 CPU, it's called a Single Core processor

2 CPUs, it's called a Dual Core processor

4 CPUs, it's called a Quad Core processor

6 CPUs, it's called a Hexa Core processor

8 CPUs, it's called a Octa Core processor

10 CPUs, it's called a Deca Core processor

Types of CPUs for Smartphones (Android)

The main company that designs CPUs for all androids is called ARM.

They then sell their design to SoC retailers/manufacturers who then use the design by ARM to build their own Unique CPU.

There are two types of CPUs widely in use in the market now to build SoCs. They are:

1. The ARM cortex A50 series which are used for only light tasks such as making calls, scrolling through FB, WhatsApp chatting, reading an eBook etc.
The A50 series consists of A53, A55 and A57

The exception here is the A57 core which is a powerful core used for heavy tasks. It is the predecessor of the A70 Series. (thank you @Naijasensei)

2. The ARM cortex A70 series which are used for heavy tasks like HD gaming, Video calls, Screen casting etc.
The A70 series consists of A72, A73, A75, A76, A77

A77 is the best currently in the market.

A few questions people may want to ask...

1. Do more Cores equal a better performance?
Well yes and no.

Yes because more CPU helps share the load of processing data and outputs the results faster making apps feel smoother and run faster.

No. Because sometimes more CPU cores isn't necessarily the answer. A Quad core A76/A55 CPU set will outperform an Octa core A57 set by far.

Then there's also optimization. This is when apps and tasks are tailor made to run smoothly on CPUs. This is why a Quad core iPhone may completely destroy an Octa-core midrange android device.

This answer to this question relies on you the individual looking at the CPU spec sheet as well as clock speed.

2. If two CPU cores are compared, is the one with the faster clock speed the best?

Well yes and no again.

Yes, if the two CPUs are of the same architecture e.g A72 Vs A72. They are both equal in every way so the only way to set them apart is the clock speed.

No. If the two CPUs are of different architectures e.g A73 Vs A76. If you like, dash the A73 a clock speed of 2.5GHz, an A76 of 2.0GHz will stroll pass it on a speedtest like Usain Bolt.

For any other question, please comment and I'll answer to the best of my knowledge.

Cheers.

Brilliant write up!! But I really want to know how you define a processor and a CPU cause on blog posts and textbooks they are use interchangeably. Most people believe that they both mean the same but in your write up; you wrote the CPU is a main component of the processor.
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by Kaxmytex(m): 4:57am On Jun 21, 2020
Wicked.

How can u claim u bought a latest phone in the year 2020, and u do a background check on its processor, u later found out that it is made up of the first series of 64-bit processor that is dated back as far 2012..

Na everybody dey scam diz days

1 Like

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 5:14am On Jun 21, 2020
Runningwater:

Brilliant write up!! But I really want to know how you define a processor and a CPU cause on blog posts and textbooks they are use interchangeably. Most people believe that they both mean the same but in your write up; you wrote the CPU is a main component of the processor.

The CPU's brain is called the SoC. It is an integrated circuit that contains CPU cores, GPU, RAM, ROM, Network modems, WiFi and Bluetooth radio etc all soldered on one chip hence the name "System on a Chip" or SoC.

Another name for an SoC is simply just processor.
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 5:14am On Jun 21, 2020
Kaxmytex:
Wicked.

How can u claim u bought a latest phone in the year 2020, and u do a background check on its processor, u later found out that it is made up of the first series of 64-bit processor that is dated back as far 2012..

Na everybody dey scam diz days

Depends on who you're buying from
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 5:15am On Jun 21, 2020
rash47:

Funny enough, in all my endeavors i have never met anyone using this redmi, like nairaland is a different country where everyone uses it

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by SolarKing1: 7:15am On Jun 21, 2020
atheistandproud:
The processor or SoC (System on a chip) of a Smartphone can be thought of as the brain of that smartphone.

This processor contains several things. The most important of which are CPUs.

A CPU or Central Processing Unit is responsible for carrying out the tasks and managing the functions of your Smartphone computer.

Your Processor in your Smartphone may contain several CPUs.

Each of this CPUs inside the SoC are referred to as a CORE.

If a processor has:

1 CPU, it's called a Single Core processor

2 CPUs, it's called a Dual Core processor

4 CPUs, it's called a Quad Core processor

6 CPUs, it's called a Hexa Core processor

8 CPUs, it's called a Octa Core processor

10 CPUs, it's called a Deca Core processor

Types of CPUs for Smartphones (Android)

The main company that designs CPUs for all androids is called ARM.

They then sell their design to SoC retailers/manufacturers who then use the design by ARM to build their own Unique CPU.

There are two types of CPUs widely in use in the market now to build SoCs. They are:

1. The ARM cortex A50 series which are used for only light tasks such as making calls, scrolling through FB, WhatsApp chatting, reading an eBook etc.
The A50 series consists of A53, A55 and A57

The exception here is the A57 core which is a powerful core used for heavy tasks. It is the predecessor of the A70 Series. (thank you @Naijasensei)

2. The ARM cortex A70 series which are used for heavy tasks like HD gaming, Video calls, Screen casting etc.
The A70 series consists of A72, A73, A75, A76, A77

A77 is the best currently in the market.

A few questions people may want to ask...

1. Do more Cores equal a better performance?
Well yes and no.

Yes because more CPU helps share the load of processing data and outputs the results faster making apps feel smoother and run faster.

No. Because sometimes more CPU cores isn't necessarily the answer. A Quad core A76/A55 CPU set will outperform an Octa core A57 set by far.

Then there's also optimization. This is when apps and tasks are tailor made to run smoothly on CPUs. This is why a Quad core iPhone may completely destroy an Octa-core midrange android device.

This answer to this question relies on you the individual looking at the CPU spec sheet as well as clock speed.

2. If two CPU cores are compared, is the one with the faster clock speed the best?

Well yes and no again.

Yes, if the two CPUs are of the same architecture e.g A72 Vs A72. They are both equal in every way so the only way to set them apart is the clock speed.

No. If the two CPUs are of different architectures e.g A73 Vs A76. If you like, dash the A73 a clock speed of 2.5GHz, an A76 of 2.0GHz will stroll pass it on a speedtest like Usain Bolt.

For any other question, please comment and I'll answer to the best of my knowledge.

Cheers.
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by scanner1000(m): 7:57am On Jun 21, 2020
atheistandproud:

The Infinix has better specs

Thanks sir
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by Mikyle: 8:12am On Jun 21, 2020
At least you don benefit somebody. Kudos to your write up.

1 Like

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by scanner1000(m): 8:13am On Jun 21, 2020
atheistandproud:

The T880 MP2

Does GPU has effect on high graphics games..
Because I have good CPU spec and weak GPU spec (PowerVR GE8320). while a have CPU spec which is not up to my own but have good GPU spec(Mali-T880MP2). Does that mean my friend phone is than mine in gaming?
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by oebakare: 8:22am On Jun 21, 2020
Space booked
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by desgiezd(m): 9:34am On Jun 21, 2020
I just learnt something this morning. Thanks a lot for this and for the way you broke it down to my level.
Many thanks

1 Like

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by Nobody: 10:30am On Jun 21, 2020
scanner1000:

Because I have good CPU spec and weak GPU spec (PowerVR GE8320). while a have CPU spec which is not up to my own but have good GPU spec(Mali-T880MP2). Does that mean my friend phone is than mine in gaming?
Well, it's hard to say. Real time physics and movement is controlled by the CPU, graphics is handled by the GPU. Do the math plus some research.
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 10:40am On Jun 21, 2020
scanner1000:

The aim of this post is that you become literate especially because one company domiciled in Nigeria has this terrible habit of using very low end specs, overcharging for it and and deliberately misinforming the public. I had this conversation with a graduate, a former neighbor of mine from almost 10 years ago in University.

He said, "shey you dey yab my phone (name withheld), them don release phone with Octa core processor. No more Mediatek. In fact, I sure say Octa core go better pass Una Snapdragon. But wait fess oh, na which company dey do Octa core?"

I had to explain to him that Octa core only depicts that there are eight cores or CPUs inside the processor. It's not a new brand or anything.

Also, lots of people as soon as they learn these things, they start trying to compare their devices to everyone else's. The aim is education, not competition. No give yourself unnecessary headache. You don buy, you don buy. Make a wiser decision next time.

Finally: The CPU runs the graphics (builds them from the game engine), the GPU displays them.

Even if the CPU is good enough to run the game engine well, a bad GPU may render the graphics poorly, slowly or even incorrectly. I once used a low end phone and when playing PUBG. I could hear everyone else moving but in my own game, the houses didn't load, the fences were not showing, I couldn't see my teammates. I hated the phone.

If the CPU is bad, then I doubt that the GPU can save it. Some GPUs are designed to take some processing load off the CPU so as to try optimize the gaming but las las, the primary responsibility of loading and running the game lies with the CPU. If the CPU cannot do it's job, them there will nothing that GPU can do.

Some CPUs also help relieve the load of rendering graphics off the GPU too. Na division of labour but the CPU is more important in gaming. The GPU is more important for the graphical output.
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 10:42am On Jun 21, 2020
desgiezd:
I just learnt something this morning. Thanks a lot for this and for the way you broke it down to my level.
Many thanks

Mikyle:
At least you don benefit somebody. Kudos to your write up.

More than 5 people don say them no understand.

I don't know if they're trolling me or themselves.

Thanks guys.
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 10:43am On Jun 21, 2020
Ausrichie:

Well, it's hard to say. Real time physics and movement is controlled by the CPU, graphics is handled by the GPU. Do the math plus some research.

Bingo!
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 10:56am On Jun 21, 2020
bjayx:
My android phone is Qualcomm octa core. Wetin DAT one mean

It means that the processor in your phone was made by the company called Qualcomm and that it has 8 cores (CPUs) inside, but that does not tell us the full name of the processor as Qualcomm has designed plenty Octacore chipsets.

Since the full name of the chipset is not published I can guess the company that has that bad habit of not releasing the full details of specs

1 Like

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by arcdone(m): 11:25am On Jun 21, 2020
wow...interesting topic, thanks for the information knowledge is power, I now have more understanding when it comes to phone
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by yusfatedeeprof(m): 1:44pm On Jun 21, 2020
Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by scanner1000(m): 2:10pm On Jun 21, 2020
atheistandproud:

The aim of this post is that you become literate especially because one company domiciled in Nigeria has this terrible habit of using very low end specs, overcharging for it and and deliberately misinforming the public. I had this conversation with a graduate, a former neighbor of mine from almost 10 years ago in University.

He said, "shey you dey yab my phone (name withheld), them don release phone with Octa core processor. No more Mediatek. In fact, I sure say Octa core go better pass Una Snapdragon. But wait fess oh, na which company dey do Octa core?"

I had to explain to him that Octa core only depicts that there are eight cores or CPUs inside the processor. It's not a new brand or anything.

Also, lots of people as soon as they learn these things, they start trying to compare their devices to everyone else's. The aim is education, not competition. No give yourself unnecessary headache. You don buy, you don buy. Make a wiser decision next time.

Finally: The CPU runs the graphics (builds them from the game engine), the GPU displays them.

Even if the CPU is good enough to run the game engine well, a bad GPU may render the graphics poorly, slowly or even incorrectly. I once used a low end phone and when playing PUBG. I could hear everyone else moving but in my own game, the houses didn't load, the fences were not showing, I couldn't see my teammates. I hated the phone.

If the CPU is bad, then I doubt that the GPU can save it. Some GPUs are designed to take some processing load off the CPU so as to try optimize the gaming but las las, the primary responsibility of loading and running the game lies with the CPU. If the CPU cannot do it's job, them there will nothing that GPU can do.

Some CPUs also help relieve the load of rendering graphics off the GPU too. Na division of labour but the CPU is more important in gaming. The GPU is more important for the graphical output.

Thanks for ur enlightenment. I think I will give you my beautiful sister for u to marry grin unless u are married already.

P. S she is currently doing are nysc program now cool

2 Likes

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by atheistandproud(m): 2:25pm On Jun 21, 2020
scanner1000:

Thanks for ur enlightenment. I think I will give you my beautiful sister for u to marry grin unless u are married already.

P. S she is currently doing are nysc program now cool

2 Likes

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by korban3134(m): 3:57pm On Jun 21, 2020
atheistandproud:

Redmi Note 7.

Smart choice cool

Also an excellent write up...it really helps... people should have a better understanding of what makes a good smartphone

2 Likes

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by bjayx: 4:00pm On Jun 21, 2020
atheistandproud:

It means that the processor in your phone was made by the company called Qualcomm and that it has 8 cores (CPUs) inside, but that does not tell us the full name of the processor as Qualcomm has designed plenty Octacore chipsets.

Since the full name of the chipset is not published I can guess the company that has that bad habit of not releasing the full details of specs
Thanks bro... Its hisense actually but the brand HLTE300T is crazy.

1 Like

Re: Dual Core, Quad Core, Octa Core. What Do They Mean? by Temitope1759(f): 7:49pm On Jun 21, 2020
Thank you very much for the information OP. It's very useful but do you also know know that you can you can make money from home just by using *737#.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How To Know What Google Knows About You / Man Buys Nokia As Iphone From Computer Vilage In Lagos (Photos) / Man Surprises Lady Who Returned His Phone With N10,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.