Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,615 members, 7,820,182 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:00 AM

Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 (48306 Views)

Osinbajo Pays Courtesy Visit To Late President Musa Yar'Adua's Mother / Jonathan, Atiku, Saraki Remember Umaru Musa Yar'adua 11 Years After His Death / Buhari: Shehu Musa Yar’adua And I Wrote WASCE In 1961 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by Nobody: 7:52am On Jun 24, 2020
Corporate2020:

No thanks to PDP
my friend go ND sit down is people like u that makes politicians play d masses like ball. is there any difference between APC ND PDP? 80% of APC today we're once pdp

3 Likes

Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by Nobody: 7:53am On Jun 24, 2020
This man was double promoted from Lt.colonel to Brigadier VP because he was a Yaradua.
Rent a shop or house within Ojo LGA, Lagos at decent cost. Contact DanProperty via 08168140978
Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by Nobody: 7:54am On Jun 24, 2020
Corporate2020:

True talk. Even money used in managing Nigeria image abroad after Igbos used drug trafficking and human trafficking to spoil our image could have built the road.

And the gains we accrued towards our international image as the host of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th deadliest terror groups in the world (all from the north) didn't generate enough money to settle all our problems

2 Likes

Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by adecz: 7:55am On Jun 24, 2020
General Yakubu Gowon's projects!
Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by IamDavid(m): 7:55am On Jun 24, 2020
Corporate2020:

No thanks to PDP
You're biased. it's not necessary because you're at the receiving end. Both Apc ane Pdp have looted from that road

1 Like

Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by Demmtek(m): 7:55am On Jun 24, 2020
Come be like the road nah the only road for naija

1 Like

Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by IamDavid(m): 7:56am On Jun 24, 2020
francisgodstime:
my friend go ND sit down is people like u that makes politicians play d masses like ball. is there any difference between APC ND PDP? 80% of APC today we're once pdp
No mind the guy jare, I tried so much not to insult the fooool

1 Like

Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by Ikennamurphy: 7:56am On Jun 24, 2020
francisgodstime:
That's exactly how Nigerians don't have sense..to him he has made sense..see how the APC and PDP are tossing round each party...both are exactly same

1 Like

Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by watchindelta(m): 7:57am On Jun 24, 2020
The minitary even works pass all these thieves politicians of today

2 Likes

Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by ednut1(m): 7:58am On Jun 24, 2020
42 years later still under construction and renovation lol

2 Likes

Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by chucklesclothin(m): 7:58am On Jun 24, 2020
Rohew67462:
London smell

Pls e they work?
Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by Nobody: 7:59am On Jun 24, 2020
Day169:
If the project took 4 years then, the present government may not be doing badly with the current rehabilitation considering 2 things..
1. The Nigerian economy was in much better shape with the foreign exchange rate of the Naira to the Pound Sterling being at par.
2. It was a project undertaken on virgin land as compared to the continuous diversion of traffic and its attendant challenges.
Excuses-Excuses-Excuses!
Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by gnykelly(m): 8:01am On Jun 24, 2020
Ghostmode2two:
The military really put some infrastructures in place until this audio politicians

exactly it was even buhari that build the 4 refinery we have when he was minister of petroleum in '77
Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by EgunMogaji2: 8:02am On Jun 24, 2020
To be honest it’s the most travelled road in the country. It’s also carrying a lot of dead weight.

Anyways I’m one of the first to have driven on it. Drive, not passenger. So children of Nairaland please be guided about my age cheesy

So mo age mi ni?

1 Like

Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by odurombi: 8:04am On Jun 24, 2020
"This country has paid very substantially for your comfort and safety on this expressway so please do not make it a one-way ticket to death."

Succinct!
Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by EgunMogaji2: 8:04am On Jun 24, 2020
Ghostmode2two:
The military really put some infrastructures in place until this audio politicians

I know I’ll be shouted down but the best thing to happen to Nigeria was military rule. Also to Gbana.

Alfa ko ni iyi ni ilu e.

1 Like

Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by Nobody: 8:05am On Jun 24, 2020
ruggedtimi:
When 504 was babe, Those men at the V.I.P filled with swag. Shinning eye glasses.
I think it was Shagari that changed the convoys to the imported Mercedes-Benz. The Peugeot 504 was manufactured in Nigeria at the Kaduna plant at the time.

2 Likes

Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by ume1000: 8:06am On Jun 24, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

foolishness is in the heart of a child but the rod of a father would drive it away - words of wisdom from the Bible

The above proverbs just got me thinking why your dad never did a good job on you
Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by Nobody: 8:08am On Jun 24, 2020
As usual, the fools suffering from IGBOPHOBIA are here already with their malfunctioning brain.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by Thelimitbreaker(m): 8:09am On Jun 24, 2020
So this road has been there since 1978... They have been eating from it since then... Is the road further maths that it can't be unraveled... Corruption in high places... So corruption is not tribalistic from Obasanjo to Jonathan to Buhari.... It is well o

1 Like

Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by mariatt(f): 8:09am On Jun 24, 2020
Back in History

1 Like

Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by Nobody: 8:13am On Jun 24, 2020
DrNueLpureHoney:
Seems the road na tunnel wey no get end as Dem no dey construct am finish

Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by Kenmatt(m): 8:14am On Jun 24, 2020
The fifteen years of military administration in this country is much better than more than twenty years of "accountable" government of democracy.

Infact, it is even better we go back to military rule.

If Abacha could loot such billion dollars as the head of state and Allison Dezieni Mmadueke, a waman, could also loot beyond twenty billion dollars, when Nigeria wanted to borrow twenty-seven billion dollars from a Bank in China, Japan, and IMF.

I pray we go back to military. It's not in every facet that forward is better, sometime you look back, get back to mover on. That is what fore cast is all about.
Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by Nobody: 8:15am On Jun 24, 2020
brightdestiny96:

And the gains we accrued towards our international image as the host of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th deadliest terror groups in the world (all from the north) didn't generate enough money to settle all our problems
Don't mind the clown.
Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by celeiyke: 8:16am On Jun 24, 2020
Corporate2020:

True talk. Even money used in managing Nigeria image abroad after Igbos used drug trafficking and human trafficking to spoil our image could have built the road.

Your people have done the worst fraud ever. Don't call Igbo, what class of fraud is greater that internet fraud. We all know those that who are the internet fraudsters

1 Like

Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by Nobody: 8:18am On Jun 24, 2020
ume1000:
foolishness is in the heart of a child but the rod of a father would drive it away - words of wisdom from the Bible

The above proverbs just got me thinking why your dad never did a good job on you
...you need to go to Yaba left.
Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by Btruth: 8:21am On Jun 24, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:
42 years later we are still struggling to complete it angry
Nigeria is a sorry state.

1 Like

Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by Nobody: 8:21am On Jun 24, 2020
odurombi:
"This country has paid very substantially for your comfort and safety on this expressway so please do not make it a one-way ticket to death."

Succinct!
The highway has claimed so many lives cry
Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by LilWarshy(m): 8:21am On Jun 24, 2020
gartamanta:
Looking at Shehu Yaradua here, one would not know that the man was amongst the biggest mass-murderers and coup plotter Nigeria ever produced. He was literally Murtala Mohammed's right hand man and when Mohammed was assassinated, Yar'adua was double promoted to become a Brigadier and Chief of General Staff. He spent the rest of his years in power amassing wealth and became one of the richest men in the North when he retired. He was CEO of Hamza Holdings. But Karma has a way of coming back to bite all evil men. He died crying of pain in Abakiliki Prisons.
Fela yab that motherfvcker like mad
Animal in human skin

1 Like

Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by Iamvetlander(m): 8:23am On Jun 24, 2020
egalitarianism:
Damn. Rest on my friend.
At the age he commissioned the project as a vice President is the age the useless youths of nowadays use in discussing sex positions, big ass big breast, drugs, Yahoo, alcohol, Lee min hoo, watching TV series, Relationship talk, fixing yeye nails and eye umbrella, bets and sort. How would my mate betroth power to you when you're useless and doesn't know what you want? That's why my mate keep riding you like horse! If you don't take the future into your hands now, your posterity will curse you. 2023 is around the corner, don't form a THIRD FORCE, Dont use your head. Continue to sell your birth right...
My friend here, Seun. Had he indulge himself in those useless acts, will he have time to think outside box in creating nairaland? Keep blaming Government, DON'T USE YOUR HEAD
True talk, but what have you done with your life?

1 Like

Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by colestephan86: 8:28am On Jun 24, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:
NIGERIA: VICE PRESIDENT BRIGADIER SHEHU MUSA YAR'ADUA OPENS NEW EXPRESSWAY LINKING LAGOS TO IBADAN.

Friday, August 18th 1978.

Footage of Brigadier Shehu Musa Yar'Adua, the Chief of Staff Supreme Headquarters, opening the expressway that linked Lagos, then the federal capital city of Nigeria with Ibadan, the capital city of Oyo State.

Reuters Text:

Work on the highway began four years ago. It was hoped to be finished a year ago, but because of the scale of the undertaking, the contracts were extended. It replaces roads which carried the heaviest traffic in the country. Brigadier Shehu Musa Yar'Adua praised the project.

The Brigadier then formally opened the new highway, the first rural expressway in the country.

The road cost a total of 170 million naira (nearly 266 million dollars). And to recover at least part of that cost, and to pay for its upkeep, road users will have to pay a toll. Even at the opening ceremony, Brigadier Shehu Yar'Adua led the way in paying for the service the new expressway offers."

Transcript of Brigadier Yar'Adua's remarks:

"The expressway which we are about to open is one of the finest of its type by any standard. Your convenience, comfort and safety have all been incorporated in the highest standard of its design and construction. It does seem however that the better the road, the greater the death toll. The reported deaths on highways rose from 4,537 in 1973 to 8,000 in 1977, giving us a daily average of about 22 deaths. We all know that these are caused by excessive speeding, lack of proper maintenance of vehicles, drunkenness and a complete disregard for highway rules and regulations. I hereby appeal to all road users, and in particular, motorists, to obey highway rules and regulations, to have more respect for their lives and show care and consideration for others. This country has paid very substantially for your comfort and safety on this expressway so please do not make it a one-way ticket to death."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_LfloE6BWc

Source: Reuters News Archive.
https://reuters.screenocean.com/record/238165
The Julius beggar portion is beginning to fail even when they have not completed it
Re: Shehu Musa Yar'adua Opens The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway In 1978 by Nobody: 8:30am On Jun 24, 2020
colestephan86:

The Julius beggar portion is beginning to fail even when they have not completed it
The next government will award a contract to "rehabilate' the failing portion angry. It was made to fail, so they can keep eating.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Igbo Corper That Converted To Islam Over Buhari Writes Nigerians An Open Letter / Godwin Obaseki Wins Edo Governorship Election / Pictures Of Igboho Supporters Waiting Outside During His Trial In Cotonou

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.