Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,832 members, 7,820,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder (36496 Views)

Johnson & Johnson To Boost Africa’s COVID-19 Vaccine Rollout With 400m Doses / Cancer-Causing Substance In School Uniforms From China: SON Raises Alarm / Top 10 Cancer Causing Foods We Eat Daily (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by Xisnin(m): 12:12pm On Jun 24, 2020
Blackfriday:
But a class action suit and penalty as in this case, is determinant on severalty of the case and I believe the cancer type must be terminal.
It need not be terminal.
It just must have caused serious harm to the victim's life.

I am not against the judgement in principle.
The penalty is just too severe given the circumstances.

If you hang a pickpocket, what then is the penalty for a murderer?
Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by mariatt(f): 12:13pm On Jun 24, 2020
Hmmmm
Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by Blackfriday: 12:22pm On Jun 24, 2020
Xisnin:

It need not be terminal.
It just must have caused serious harm to the victim's life.

I am not against the judgement in principle.
The penalty is just too severe given the circumstances.

If you hang a pickpocket, what then is the penalty for a murderer?
Anyway if go through many class action suits and mass Tort cases in the US most part of Europe, you will find out there is a sever penalty to situations like for defaulting companies who knowingly or unknowingly add substances to a product which causes any form of harm to the end user. I believe Johnson & Johnson knows this and should have taken necessary corrective measures in the clinical trials of the product.
Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by kunkelhanspeter(m): 12:24pm On Jun 24, 2020
Enoch07:
they wants fold up the company?
That USA for you but no they will only bill the company what they can afford
Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by wunmi590(m): 12:26pm On Jun 24, 2020
Anuoluwa1234:
How I wish this can happen in Nigeria, undecided undecided. But Nigeria is far behind, and Nafdac here is not helping issues at all angry angry. It saddens my heart. cry cry . Lots of prohibited goods and dangerous materials are out there, ppl consuming it, with ignorance, it saddens my heart.
Painful part it that, u will get to pharmacy stores still see those deadly materials cry cry. Drinks containing poisonous chemicals, you will still see endorsed by etc... Jesus, I weak. cry cry
Pls pals, when buying body things, be careful of chemicals like: steroids, mercury, hydroquinone, Talc etc.
Drinks, be careful of (Aspertame). Etc, I won't say more than this. I pray is shall be well with us all, amen.
Shalom kiss kiss kiss

NAFDAC died and was buried the day Dora Akunyili died and was buried my dear sister
Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by kunkelhanspeter(m): 12:28pm On Jun 24, 2020
DrObum:
It'll continue to sell the product all over the world?

They should sue that company all over the world.
Yes they will continue selling it to shithole countries like Nigeria
Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by Xisnin(m): 12:30pm On Jun 24, 2020
Blackfriday:
Anyway if go through many class action suits and mass Tort cases in the US most part of Europe, you will find out there is a sever penalty to situations like for defaulting companies who knowingly or unknowingly add substances to a product which causes any form of harm to the end user. I believe Johnson & Johnson knows this and should have taken necessary corrective measures in the clinical trials of the product.
Most cases of a successful class action is that of deliberate action or omission.
This is different.
This case is that of contamination of naturally-occurring talc with asbestos from the mine.
One of the unintended consequences of this action is the added "risk" cost to consumer products.
Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by samsard(m): 12:46pm On Jun 24, 2020
Xisnin:

You are contradicting yourself.
If no money is enough to compensate health, why did these victims ask for billions?
They obviously know the value of money

This is a fallacious argument.
Paying people to harm themselves is different from paying people to remain in harm.
Both can be achieved with the right motivations but they are not equal.
The judge could have awarded a million dollars to each person and that would be change for the corporation. You obviously didn't bother to read the stuff. I value my health and well-being so much that i won't consider a monetary reward for self harm. You on the other hand has a dollar valuation on every part of your body and health. That's your cup of tea.
Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by YoungAncient1: 12:48pm On Jun 24, 2020
If It was in Nigeria, they would have only paid about N75m
Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by Onlinebar: 1:04pm On Jun 24, 2020
When they say "for external use only" you won't read instructions

I see a lot of women use it on their v*gina and arm pits.... including my mum...and I keep warning them
Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by Nickymezor(f): 1:10pm On Jun 24, 2020
Hmmm , this serious...got to know abt this powder from my sis,she used them on kids way bk
Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by Grandmeister(m): 1:11pm On Jun 24, 2020
BigBashiru:

Really? Asbestos still being sold in Nigeria?
Wait this is a shock to you?? Most public classroom ceilings are still being made with asbestos naa.
Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by crackhouse(m): 1:50pm On Jun 24, 2020
... so who will now collect the money? Govt or consumers? Govt is nothing but a criminal circle.
Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by MrBanner(m): 1:55pm On Jun 24, 2020
Demburrows:

Please fellow nairaladers of good conscience, friends/
friendly parents of school teachers. and fellow
brethrens of Christ . We teachers are suffering . please I am for real and I am on my knees, please help a teacher that has been out of job for months due to the covid 19 pandemic. The hunger is now unbearable. my little kids they have been growing thin and crying because they had nothing to eat, its embarrassing even my landlord is on my neck . I beg of you my brothers and sisters please any amount is a blessing. I promise to give back to the society if you do this for me and my family. i use access bnk acct 080 7 3 44 826 thank you and may divine favours follow you as the week unfolds.

Seun Mynd44 lalasticlala Mukina2 Dominique
Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jun 24, 2020
turl:

Asbestos is not in talcum madam, where did you get that from?
Stop lying to gain customers!

Do your findings before coming here to argue what you dont know. I'm into production so I can tell you it contains asbestos which has been found to contain carcinogenic compounds.
Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by frog12: 2:20pm On Jun 24, 2020
women wey dey use atike on their face !
Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by Chinny024(f): 2:34pm On Jun 24, 2020
Does that exclude all their products?.... My baby uses Johnsons products.. Soap,Powder, Oil and creams..

Tell us the unsafe ones apart from the powder...
Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by turl(m): 2:44pm On Jun 24, 2020
Eulalia:

Do your findings before coming here to argue what you dont know. I'm into production so I can tell you it contains asbestos which has been found to contain carcinogenic compounds.

You are actually correct, apologies. Just checked.
I knew asbestos was deadly but wouldn't have thought talc products would still be sold even after people know.
Really strange stuff.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by Ikjosh04: 2:50pm On Jun 24, 2020
Hi, is gluta c with koji plus products safe?
Anuoluwa1234:
How I wish this can happen in Nigeria, undecided undecided. But Nigeria is far behind, and Nafdac here is not helping issues at all angry angry. It saddens my heart. cry cry . Lots of prohibited goods and dangerous materials are out there, ppl consuming it, with ignorance, it saddens my heart.
Painful part it that, u will get to pharmacy stores still see those deadly materials cry cry. Drinks containing poisonous chemicals, you will still see endorsed by etc... Jesus, I weak. cry cry
Pls pals, when buying body things, be careful of chemicals like: steroids, mercury, hydroquinone, Talc etc.
Drinks, be careful of (Aspertame). Etc, I won't say more than this. I pray is shall be well with us all, amen.
Shalom kiss kiss kiss
Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by uncleteeh(m): 3:02pm On Jun 24, 2020
Kindly check my signature out
Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jun 24, 2020
turl:

You are actually correct, apologies. Just checked.
I knew asbestos was deadly but wouldn't have thought talc products would still be sold even after people know.
Really strange stuff.

Its OK dear.
We learn everyday.

It has actually been banned in some European countries but its still been highly sold in Nigeria because no strong regulatory body checkmating the cosmetics sector. So anything goes.

I'm sure Johnson would.have been parading their products as natural or the FDA trusted them so much not to dabble into such hence didn't check their products for any possible toxic materials that is why it's been in the market unnoticed for long until now. I wonder what they've been thinking all along.

The US Johnson version is overly hyped though. I'm surprised they are having this issues.

1 Like

Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by earnit2: 3:13pm On Jun 24, 2020
oh
Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jun 24, 2020
Hello, evening, I don't know much, cuz I use organic products.. buy kojic acid, is a natural acid, it will be safe for skin..
Ikjosh04:
Hi, is gluta c with koji plus products safe?

1 Like

Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by Doyou2019: 3:57pm On Jun 24, 2020
DrObum:
It'll continue to sell the product all over the world?

They should sue that company all over the world.

Nigeria would be the last to do that

1 Like

Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by Dhefjud: 4:12pm On Jun 24, 2020
YorubaKinging:
Lol,
World of hypocrites

Are they just aware that they r producing killer powders?

Just like some people worship billgates

These white people are very wicked

They don't have a good heart, that's how God created them

They r the children of the devil, the fallen angels

And all Europeans are them!!

USA , UK, and all great Britain are thier children

See as u resemble yorubakingpin
Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by PDPGuy: 8:48pm On Jun 24, 2020
crackhouse:
... so who will now collect the money? Govt or consumers? Govt is nothing but a criminal circle.
Between 30%-33% of the award will be collected by the plaintiffs’ attorneys, while the rest goes to the plaintiffs
Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by Ajsmart(m): 10:39pm On Jun 24, 2020
Better not let the millions of Oyinbo worshipping Nigerians come for your head. How dare you write bad things about their slave masters who can’t do anything wrong. grin

YorubaKinging:
Lol,
World of hypocrites

Are they just aware that they r producing killer powders?

Just like some people worship billgates

These white people are very wicked

They don't have a good heart, that's how God created them

They r the children of the devil, the fallen angels

And all Europeans are them!!

USA , UK, and all great Britain are thier children
Re: Johnson & Johnson To Pay $2.1bn Over Cancer-causing Talcum Powder by Samiah33(m): 8:03am On Jun 25, 2020
Anuoluwa1234:
No, Nutrition and Dietetics student kiss kiss kiss
Nice

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photos: Malnourished Child Brutally Tortured, Abused And Left Lying On The Stree / How Terrifying Your First HIV Test Will Be (Photos) / Fadesola Adedayo Walks From Abuja To Lagos To Create Awareness About A Disease

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.