Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,468 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:52 PM

BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? (2987 Views)

Driver Fleeing From Attack On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway Rams Into Truck, Dies / What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? / Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? by Nobody: 3:09am On Jun 27, 2020
YEBOmadiba:

Lol grin. Ramaphosa saved the ANC. It was a sinking ship.

EFF definitely NOT. Even it's staunchest supporters are disgruntled about their immigration policy. But VBS is what disgusts me.
If I could just choose a president without the political party i would've chosen Ramaphosa !!! however the rot in the ANC is so deep I don't see it ever recovering again!

1 Like

Re: BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? by babasolution: 9:06am On Jun 27, 2020
Minxie:

I won't call them lazy because I don't know their circumstances.
It is unfortunate that their government uses labour from China and Lebanon and wherever because I know many Nigerians are qualified to do those jobs. They must stand up to their government and demand answers to that problem. I think it's very disgusting that there are so many high paid expats when Nigeria has it's own citizens who are qualified in those fields.

What I mean with my business idea is that I have many small businesses ideas that have the potential to develop into bigger things. Especially in the tourism industry in Nigeria but I can't just access their market like a Nigerian can save money to open a small shop in SA. So our government needs to address this imbalance by either negotiating more access to their market or closing off access to our informal sector. It's only fair because an average South African doesn't have the means to open a business in Nigeria because it isn't legally allowed. Yet an average Nigerian can open an informal business in SA. So what I'm saying is that if Africa wants to unite, they can't expect unity to only come from one side. It takes an agreement that favors all parties and not just a few.

PS before people attack me for being xenophobic, i was pointing out situations on the ground by using Nigeria and South Africa as an example.

You people can keep deceiving yourselves,you don't know anything,how many Chinese businesses or even Lebanese owned businesses in Nigeria,you just trying to provoke Nigerians,well Nigerians are going to live you guys behind,the way it will hit you people in SA ehn will be so shocking
Re: BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? by Minxie(f): 9:24am On Jun 27, 2020
babasolution:

You people can keep deceiving yourselves,you don't know anything,how many Chinese businesses or even Lebanese owned businesses in Nigeria,you just trying to provoke Nigerians,well Nigerians are going to live you guys behind,the way it will hit you people in SA ehn will be so shocking

I don't understand... Can you elaborate please?
Re: BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? by Minxie(f): 9:30am On Jun 27, 2020
Dyonne:

I see what you're saying about the potential of shoprite in Nigeria and I agree with you to some extent.
I still think shoprite has done well wherever it has been able to set up and will do well if it chooses locations properly.
As to why it's not everywhere, I think some politics is at play in that regard.

I also know what you mean about the Gatsby takeout vs 5 Star restaurant. I think most people feel that way too. Not to worry, theres something for everyone. When I want to feel down to earth, I know where to go. When I want to feel like I'm doing well in life, I also know where to go grin

A friend once told me, "Dyon if you're eating and you dont see a single fly, be very careful about that place but if you see flies, you can relax and eat whatever you like". Its not to be taken literally but theres a meaning behind that, can you decipher it?

If you're paying off student debt, then you've graduated. Can I ask what you studied?

Interesting saying... smiley
Well so far I have a bachelor's degree: BA Law. But before you judge, im currently in my final year of honours and then heading for Masters grin I know I still know very little but I'm trying. Ive met many other Africans with higher degrees so I always feel so inferior Lol

1 Like

Re: BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? by Minxie(f): 9:37am On Jun 27, 2020
jln115:
So not to far from me wink currently in Mossel Bay

you know, I've never explored mossel bay. I've always just kinda drove through it but never really spent time there. You are so fortunate to see the ocean every day... Hahaha now I know who to contact when I'm ever in that area grin

1 Like

Re: BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? by babasolution: 9:48am On Jun 27, 2020
Minxie:

I don't understand... Can you elaborate please?

Someone mentioned that Nigerians are lazy and our economy is being bouyed by Chinese and lebanese.Truth is its false,the Chinese aren't into business in Nigeria so much,they are mainly into road construction and Lebanese also do not have any business in Nigeria that is not rivaled or even bettered by a local Nigerian owned business,Nigeria produces so many things now,gone are the days of so called importing pencils and toothpick,its just that due to massive population local production might not be able to meet demand so we might still need to augment with imports ,but going forward Nigeria is even going more and more local,almost all sectors of Nigerian economy is in the hands of Nigerians,the mainstay of oil is 70% local,only road construction and and probably factories have probably more foreign dominance for now.many people don't know but Nigeria is only going to get better,we have seen our worst times,that's what you guys don't understand .The way Nigeria is going to develop in the coming years will shock Africa

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? by Minxie(f): 10:14am On Jun 27, 2020
babasolution:

Someone mentioned that Nigerians are lazy and our economy is being bouyed by Chinese and lebanese.Truth is its false,the Chinese aren't into business in Nigeria so much,they are mainly into road construction and Lebanese also do not have any business in Nigeria that is not rivaled or even bettered by a local Nigerian owned business,Nigeria produces so many things now,gone are the days of so called importing pencils and toothpick,its just that due to massive population local production might not be able to meet demand so we might still need to augment with imports ,but going forward Nigeria is even going more and more local,almost all sectors of Nigerian economy is in the hands of Nigerians,the mainstay of oil is 70% local,only road construction and and probably factories have probably more foreign dominance for now.many people don't know but Nigeria is only going to get better,we have seen our worst times,that's what you guys don't understand .The way Nigeria is going to develop in the coming years will shock Africa

Okay I understand what you are saying and as you may have noticed, i told the person that it isn't fair to call Nigerians lazy when we don't know their circumstances. Also, i think the comment about laziness was made because Nigerians on this forum usually call South Africans lazy so it was kinda like an ironic type of joke. At least, that's how I took it.

We weren't saying that Chinese and Lebanese are taking over the Nigerian market. We were simply saying that the fact that Chinese etc are the ones employed in massive projects like construction and factories is problematic for its citizens because these citizens should be used and not foreign labour. We aren't saying that Nigerians are incapable of doing these things. Actually I was advocating for Nigerians by saying that there are so many Nigerians who are everywhere doing things but their own government would rather use Chinese etc for such projects.

I am proud that Nigeria is producing more because it means that its citizens will benefit. It's a situation of putting Nigeria first (something that South Africans are also campaigning for themselves).

In fact, if more countries got their acts together, there wouldn't be such a huge refugee and displacement crisis. Nobody is against Nigeria becoming great. I have no idea where you (and many others) get this notion that South Africans don't want you to develop. In fact, if you develop, we would be able to reap more benefits such as more trade and investment and, obviously, job creation.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? by Nobody: 10:53am On Jun 27, 2020
Minxie:

you know, I've never explored mossel bay. I've always just kinda drove through it but never really spent time there. You are so fortunate to see the ocean every day... Hahaha now I know who to contact when I'm ever in that area grin
More than welcome wink we actually own a lodge so If you ever want to come for vacation you know who to contact grin

1 Like

Re: BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? by babasolution: 12:45pm On Jun 27, 2020
Minxie:

Okay I understand what you are saying and as you may have noticed, i told the person that it isn't fair to call Nigerians lazy when we don't know their circumstances. Also, i think the comment about laziness was made because Nigerians on this forum usually call South Africans lazy so it was kinda like an ironic type of joke. At least, that's how I took it.

We weren't saying that Chinese and Lebanese are taking over the Nigerian market. We were simply saying that the fact that Chinese etc are the ones employed in massive projects like construction and factories is problematic for its citizens because these citizens should be used and not foreign labour. We aren't saying that Nigerians are incapable of doing these things. Actually I was advocating for Nigerians by saying that there are so many Nigerians who are everywhere doing things but their own government would rather use Chinese etc for such projects.

I am proud that Nigeria is producing more because it means that its citizens will benefit. It's a situation of putting Nigeria first (something that South Africans are also campaigning for themselves).

In fact, if more countries got their acts together, there wouldn't be such a huge refugee and displacement crisis. Nobody is against Nigeria becoming great. I have no idea where you (and many others) get this notion that South Africans don't want you to develop. In fact, if you develop, we would be able to reap more benefits such as more trade and investment and, obviously, job creation.

The Chinese in my opinion are engaged for such projects because of their supposed expertise and experience ,Nigerians are used for the general work of those projects most times you just have a few Chinese directing things with hundreds of Nigerians doing the actual work,also nigeria has local content laws,there is a maximum number of foreigners that can be employed in such situations, its not free for all,although sometimes the foreigners might want to bribe officials to bring more of their people but it is generally followed
Re: BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? by YEBOmadiba: 1:03pm On Jun 27, 2020
jln115:
If I could just choose a president without the political party i would've chosen Ramaphosa !!! however the rot in the ANC is so deep I don't see it ever recovering again!

Yeah, everyone loves Ramaphosa. Only the corrupt dislike him.
Re: BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? by TMKsouth: 1:25pm On Jun 27, 2020
Mastakija:
when i saw south africa stuff shit

i already knew twas ganna b #Tmk South
eleebu
always trying to prove nonsense

Dont provoke me.

1 Like

Re: BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jun 27, 2020
YEBOmadiba:

Yeah, everyone loves Ramaphosa. Only the corrupt dislike him.

Count me out

1 Like

Re: BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? by Minxie(f): 2:14pm On Jun 27, 2020
babasolution:

The Chinese in my opinion are engaged for such projects because of their supposed expertise and experience ,Nigerians are used for the general work of those projects most times you just have a few Chinese directing things with hundreds of Nigerians doing the actual work,also nigeria has local content laws,there is a maximum number of foreigners that can be employed in such situations, its not free for all,although sometimes the foreigners might want to bribe officials to bring more of their people but it is generally followed

thanks for clearing things up.
I guess to me it just seems odd because Nigeria has been independent and working for much longer than SA so it's always strange when they look for expertise elsewhere. One would assume that Nigeria would be the country providing the expertise to others. But thank you for telling me more about that situation. I'm glad that they are regulated carefully. I wish it was something we could do too.
Re: BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jun 27, 2020
Austine1213:

Count me out
yeah not everyone grin grin
Re: BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? by Dyonne: 3:08pm On Jun 27, 2020
Minxie:

Interesting saying... smiley
Well so far I have a bachelor's degree: BA Law. But before you judge, im currently in my final year of honours and then heading for Masters grin I know I still know very little but I'm trying. Ive met many other Africans with higher degrees so I always feel so inferior Lol

Oh no, why would I judge you? I know the struggle. Been there, done that. I followed exactly the same path. LLB then LLM and aborted a PhD.

Do you plan on practicing law in any capacity?
Do you plan on going into academia? I'm asking because of the masters degree you intend to take. If you get the masters, will you stop there or head for a PhD?
Degrees don't make a person superior or inferior to another. What I like to see is value.

You have business ideas, have you thought of a way to combine your legal knowledge with the business world?

A curious thought just occurred to me. You wouldn't happen to be left handed would you?
Re: BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jun 27, 2020
jln115:
yeah not everyone grin grin

Yeah

1 Like

Re: BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? by YEBOmadiba: 4:16pm On Jun 27, 2020
Austine1213:

Count me out

Lol, it must feel cold out in the wilderness. Most popular guy since Mandela.
Re: BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jun 27, 2020
YEBOmadiba:

Lol, it must feel cold out in the wilderness. Most popular guy since Mandela.

Popular but not delivering anything

Like when unemployment figures he blames covid19, forgetting those figures are before covid 19

This guy might make zuma look good, aker he got something to blame
Re: BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? by YEBOmadiba: 4:53pm On Jun 27, 2020
Austine1213:

Popular but not delivering anything

Like when unemployment figures he blames covid19, forgetting those figures are before covid 19

This guy might make zuma look good, aker he got something to blame

Do u think it takes less than 2 years to fix 9 years of near destruction of SA? The state was broke. Zuma promised us 1 million new jobs but instead left office with massive job shedding in every single sector of the economy except security.
Re: BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jun 27, 2020
YEBOmadiba:

Do u think it takes less than 2 years to fix 9 years of near destruction of SA? The state was broke. Zuma promised us 1 million new jobs but instead left office with massive job shedding in every single sector of the economy except security.

He was there in those nine years,

It takes months to see changes, what changes has he brought? All i hear is "we will" "we should"...

1 Like

Re: BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? by babasolution: 5:18pm On Jun 27, 2020
Minxie:

thanks for clearing things up.
I guess to me it just seems odd because Nigeria has been independent and working for much longer than SA so it's always strange when they look for expertise elsewhere. One would assume that Nigeria would be the country providing the expertise to others. But thank you for telling me more about that situation. I'm glad that they are regulated carefully. I wish it was something we could do too.

But you should know that Nigeria was under dictators that were corrupt and didn't help its citizens for quite a long time,
Re: BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jun 27, 2020
Austine1213:

He was there in those nine years,

It takes months to see changes, what changes has he brought? All i hear is "we will" "we should"...

only person actually trying to fix SA in the ANC is Tito Mboweni
Re: BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jun 27, 2020
jln115:
only person actually trying to fix SA in the ANC is Tito Mboweni

Very observant of you

1 Like

Re: BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? by Mastakija(m): 12:24am On Jun 28, 2020
TMKsouth:

Dont provoke me.
who's provoking who or what d fvck r u saying

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Relocating from Canada to UK to study Medicine as an international student. / Holiday In Cotonou / Oprah Open School In South Africa!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.