Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,700 members, 7,831,181 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:59 PM

Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? - Jobs/Vacancies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? (17895 Views)

Paymyrent.ng Is Recruiting For A Programmer. / Are You A Programmer? / Programmer Job Vacancy At United Bank Of Africa (UBA) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by millionboi(m): 12:27pm On Jun 28, 2020
philip0906:

Go and learn the ropes of programming and stop been a disgrace to programmers. You can't be managing websites or building landing pages of websites and call yourself a programmer.

For you to even create this thread, shows you're a clown. While other programmers are getting offers in this pandemic, some are even confidently resigning to focus on their well paying freelance jobs, programmers even in the pandemic are sought after and seem isolated from the whole mess....But alas, a 50k earning website developer is crying about instability of jobs for Programmers?

Blaady clown!
Are you a programmer?
Where do you stay or do u Know somebody that is very good in it within PH,Lagos or abuja
Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by Ayemileto(m): 12:27pm On Jun 28, 2020
Albertone:
Sir are you self taught or you learnt at an institution?

I'm self taught but I dont seem to be making progresess.And institutions are expensive

Self taught.

After learning the basics of the programming language you want to learn.

Just go online and find something like "Biginner Projects I can do with XXXX"

You'll get lots of suggestions. Some contain links to tutorials.

You can also select the ones you like most and find tutorials online yourself.

But the time you do one or two projects using tutorials, do a personal project yourself.

The best way to learn is to have a project you're working on while learning.

1 Like

Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by benjijosh(m): 12:35pm On Jun 28, 2020
philip0906:

Which devs are not bothered about money? Lemao...

That devs are well paid, is not a function of choice but skill set, experience and the premium placed on their skills by market forces (average earnings in the industry, demand and supply of programmers), which in turn means they'll always command good wages.

If you decided to get a job of 50k, it had nothing to do with the above as you most likely didn't fit into the criteria to earn more than 50k.

As I stated previously, I took the 3 months job because I wanted to meet new people and share ideas. I have been a contract developer for over 4years.

As to clarify the criteria of a thing, my market worth is far over that. I left the 50k job for a 3k$ job.

Maybe you haven't met a Dev like me. I used to be money inclined but I found out it doesn't help. The experience I got from the 50k job helped in getting the 3k$ job

3 Likes

Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by Albertone(m): 12:35pm On Jun 28, 2020
Ayemileto:

Self taught.

But the time you do one or two projects using tutorials, do a personal project yourself.

Thanks for the heads up.I'll do just that!
Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by thebigkendo(m): 12:35pm On Jun 28, 2020
Eddee:

Downside: projects are contract based. You're always on the lookout for the next big job, I've worked in Maiduguri as recently as 2 years ago, Yola as recently as 15 months ago. My last job contract was Takum/Gembu Taraba ended in November, last year. Secured the bag for another starting next year January. So, I'm currently unemployed but living off the fruits of my earlier labor. And yes, engineers can get work but you must be prepared to look at the North East for opportunities.

We are all on contract, as long as you work for another man..
I personally prefer to collect big box as a "contract" staff as against shinikin money as "full" staff..

A secondary sch classmate earns 5x my Per annum as a contract staff!!! who full staff epp?

Halla your boy if anything comes up.. North East is not an issue.. For the right price I will go to Mars grin grin
Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by Bahddo(m): 12:36pm On Jun 28, 2020
sholarr12:
I know a programmer who was employed in an organization that owed two month salary, even up till the third month, despite the fact that the salary was not even up to #50, 000.

That same person resigned and after some months got a better paying programming job but the company has not even resumed yet because of coronavirus and the company has not been paying, that is not even the problem since the company has not yet resumed.

The surprising thing is the company has not received any project that their programmer employees can work on despite the fact that the employees have their personal company laptops.

My question is this, is the work of a programmer unstable?

if you are an entry level developer, it is unstable as Nigeria does not have a robust tech market. We don't value tech here that much.

As you become more experienced, you become more in demand, and can even dare to work remotely with foreign companies, get foreign gigs, or get sponsored relocation.

1 Like

Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by philip0906(m): 12:47pm On Jun 28, 2020
benjijosh:

As I stated previously, I took the 3 months job because I wanted to meet new people and share ideas. I have been a contract developer for over 4years.

As to clarify the criteria of a thing, my market worth is far over that. I left the 50k job for a 3k$ job.

Maybe you haven't met a Dev like me. I used to be money inclined but I found out it doesn't help. The experience I got from the 50k job helped in getting the 3k$ job
Lots of contradictions in your post though.
1. What does someone want to "learn" in a 50k programming job that cannot be learnt freelancing or developing yourself by reading and harnessing tons of free tutorials online, since the person claims to be worth more than that?
2. You're not money inclined but took up a mouth watering "offer" of $3k, yimu.
3. Your market was worth more than 50k according to you but you had to commute for 7 hours a day for a meagre 50k a month? Tell that to another person fam.

That said, I totally respect your views and opinion just stating some things I see that does not add up, which is entirely my own view too.

1 Like

Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jun 28, 2020
DeckXavier:
wow, even for experienced progrmmers like you?

As long as you are building someone's product and the person no longer requires the services , yes but for me at all. I was affected somewhat, but I jumped to other avenues that might make sense to be honest.

1 Like

Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jun 28, 2020
The point is every skill is centered around building for someone like freelance, I feel it makes more sense to establish as a company and provide support and build products. There are market places though it is tough, it is achievable. The Covid taught me alot about fulltime employment. Now I would rather much build something and provide support, the business of programming and no longer the artisan aspect. If you get my drift.

4 Likes

Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by Phyde: 1:02pm On Jun 28, 2020
Eddee:

I'm going to reproduce an exact answer I gave someone on here a while ago. Offer is still valid!

"Start building your accounting skills - professional certification is great if you can afford the ICAN classes. If not learn how to use Quickbooks/SAGE, since you have an Accounting background, brush up on your financial reporting for Not for Profits.

While you are it, take online courses on procurement/supply chain and taxation (basic treatments of income tax and WHT will suffice for now).

Show proof of progress in 6 months and remind me of this thread, I will guarantee you a physical interview for a project that starts next year."
I am a graduate of banking and finance and currently working as an accountant with over 10 years experience on Quickbooks till dates. No good connection to upgrade myself due to time demanding responsibilities. Please how can you connect me to this project?
Thanks
Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by shem4soul: 1:03pm On Jun 28, 2020
Henrymorre:
don't mind this fellow. Amd is the leading cpu now. Any Core i3 or i5 out there, you will see a faster and better AMD than it at a cheaper price. Be guided.

pls, don't confuse the guy...u can't get d new version of AMD system for that price range...
the cheap AMD system re not meant for programming...

it is better for him to settle for core i3 or core i5 as LordPherule said....
I used d former AMD system and I can categorically tell u that it is not good for programming...

To get d new Version of ÀMD system u will ve a budget of 150k+ for fairly used...

Those AMD system of 60-90k re not meant for programming..

2 Likes

Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by benjijosh(m): 1:06pm On Jun 28, 2020
philip0906:

Lots of contradictions in your post though.
1. What does someone want to "learn" in a 50k programming job that cannot be learnt freelancing or developing yourself by reading and harnessing tons of free tutorials online, since the person claims to be worth more than that?
2. You're not money inclined but took up a mouth watering "offer" of $3k, yimu.
3. Your market was worth more than 50k according to you but you had to commute for 7 hours a day for a meagre 50k a month? Tell that to another person fam.

That said, I totally respect your views and opinion just stating some things I see that does not add up, which is entirely my own view too.

Because I'm not money inclined, I cannot take a 3k$ job?
Well, there's no place too small to learn. You wouldn't know what it meant to me to meet young dev as myself selfless pushing for solutions for the general public. It's not always about the money.

I do these stuffs not just for the money, I enjoy doing it and I will go any length to get it done.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by myles16(m): 1:27pm On Jun 28, 2020
lekki1444:
there are 1 billion programmers in india alone. it is a very unstable job if you are not good. but if you are perfect ? like you can bang out codes ass easy as you breath air ? the sky is the limit. question is how many people can get that good ? most people will not get that good because thhe motivation is the money and not the love of it. you are competing against 14 year old geeks who view coding like sex lol. they get orgasms from coding. you get orgasms from the money you think coding brings.

Small small na, 1 billion programmers in India!!! 85% of India's population are programmers? Oga chill

6 Likes

Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by Eddee(m): 1:31pm On Jun 28, 2020
thebigkendo:

We are all on contract, as long as you work for another man..
I personally prefer to collect big box as a "contract" staff as against shinikin money as "full" staff..

A secondary sch classmate earns 5x my Per annum as a contract staff!!! who full staff epp?

Halla your boy if anything comes up.. North East is not an issue.. For the right price I will go to Mars grin grin

Definitely chief. There's a project in the pipeline gathering steam. Google Spotlight Initiative
Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by eisley: 1:33pm On Jun 28, 2020
It all depends on the areas and experiences levels. Though most of these flexible jobs are not really stable, but they pay well.

Meanwhile, do you know you can open a functioning GTBank Account at your convenience, simply by dialing the USSD code *737*0# on your mobile phone! No BVN required.
Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by Eddee(m): 1:34pm On Jun 28, 2020
Harrykn:

I'ld love to be your student sir. I'm still in practice but it seems I gotta change plan cus it's not really going the path I thought.

There’s no problem, I'll be sure to keep you posted. It's next year.

Phyde:

I am a graduate of banking and finance and currently working as an accountant with over 10 years experience on Quickbooks till dates. No good connection to upgrade myself due to time demanding responsibilities. Please how can you connect me to this project?
Thanks

I understand you perfectly, I currently don't have any leads this year, what I applied and got is for a project starting next year. I'll be sure to keep you posted, although there's a limit to how many Finance and Admin Assistants/Associates an organization can get, especially when Procurement and Logistics Units also have dedicated staff

2 Likes

Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by LordPherule(m): 1:41pm On Jun 28, 2020
shem4soul:

pls, don't confused the guy...u can't get d new version of AMD system for that price range...

I used d former AMD system and I can categorically tell u that it is not good for programming...

To get d new Version of ÀMD system u will ve a budget of 150k+ for fairly used...

Well inclined person! Thanks for the justification. ITK Peeps get things confused like spaghetti code.
Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by Karlebolu(m): 1:48pm On Jun 28, 2020
myles16:

Small small na, 1 billion programmers in India!!! 85% of India's population are programmers? Oga chill

Are you minding him?

The reason we have so many developers in India is because of their population. Even if 1per cent of their population are programmers, that's a whopping 14 million! shocked shocked

Nothing to worry about though, with such a population, they'll have more than enough problems to solve in their country.
Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by olioxx(m): 2:11pm On Jun 28, 2020
Life itself is unstable.
The truth is if you are good at what you do, even when the instability(storm) comes you will be able to weather the storm.
By the way if that your programmer friend is excellently good, he can choose to move to another organization that will pay better salary.
Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by Fash20: 2:30pm On Jun 28, 2020
lekki1444:
there are 1 billion programmers in india alone. it is a very unstable job if you are not good. but if you are perfect ? like you can bang out codes ass easy as you breath air ? the sky is the limit. question is how many people can get that good ? most people will not get that good because thhe motivation is the money and not the love of it. you are competing against 14 year old geeks who view coding like sex lol. they get orgasms from coding. you get orgasms from the money you think coding brings.

STFU joor. How many are they in the country sef... no dey lie joor
Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by Vecto(m): 2:36pm On Jun 28, 2020
philip0906:

You're the one earning 50k...You're the one creating a thread because you're afraid you'll loose your new job and free beans shared at work.

You're the one crying the river cheesy

Guy you wicked! No kill me with laugh biko cheesy cheesy grin grin
Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by myles16(m): 2:37pm On Jun 28, 2020
Karlebolu:

Are you minding him?

The reason we have so many developers in India is because of their population. Even if 1per cent of their population are programmers, that's a whopping 14 million! shocked shocked

Nothing to worry about though, with such a population, they'll have more than enough problems to solve in their country.

Fear grip me o like I've been studying the wrong Geography since... Exactly, but those guys are much eene the ones that doesn't understand English are still programming gurus
Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jun 28, 2020
If u are really good as u think, u will focus on building your own project or website or solve pitfall that will start bringing u a lot of money. For me I lurve coding I don't see myself working 4any body
Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jun 28, 2020
If u knw the founder of vk and telegram mehn that guy is damn good. He built is own Facebook. Go to www.vk.com

If u are good I see no reason 4u to build ur next Facebook or forum.

Unless u are a beginner
Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jun 28, 2020
For me programming is fun for me

Is lurve coding I luv building things that I can find in any website.

I've built nairaland clone it has all the features u can find, I'm currently working on the advertising page
Its fun 4me

I feel blessed
Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by yinkbell: 3:58pm On Jun 28, 2020
Ayemileto:

Self taught.

Respect sir. I really respect people who are self-taught. in fact i have never given it a thought of seeking for beginner project after one has learnt about any stuff. i really want to learn graphic design, i want to start with photoshop before progressing to the next thing. what is your advise sir?

Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jun 28, 2020
Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jun 28, 2020
I will be launching my site in school AE-FUNAI university.

Its just for fun
Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jun 28, 2020
Finally start learning to build any website clone.

Learn to build any website clone nairaland,reddit, hacknews,4channel, world4ch etc
By so doin u won't be complaining if programmer pay is stable or unstable
Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by yinkbell: 4:26pm On Jun 28, 2020
Ayemileto:

Self taught.

Bro, I really respect you for this wonderful advice. In fact, I have not thought about getting a project to enhance learning.
I have got flare for graphics starting from photoshop beginers. Sir, which beginners projects do you recommend for me?

Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jun 28, 2020
shem4soul:

pls, don't confused the guy...u can't get d new version of AMD system for that price range...

before you talk try to research more. An Amd Ryzen 5 CPU const about 60k brand new. He can go for the cheaper Ryzen 2nd gen. Which will even be much faster than the core i3 or i5 and much cheaper.
Re: Is A Programmer's Job Unstable? by felixawe(m): 4:45pm On Jun 28, 2020
No. It's the environment the programmer found himself... Maybe a newbie .
A friend whom is a programmer have many clients from retail to bigger firm. company could not afford to pay him because of his worth... He's on on contract. Even you employed him,people must call him for program...something's u lodged him in a hotel.
Something's, depending on the program, he charges between N100k to N4m despite this amount ,he code his program so that monthly or yearly your pay for licence renewal. Troubleshooting is another money. This guy is into the deals for more than 27 years.
Programming work is very difficult.... Tell the guy to advitised online... My guy normal write program for people outside Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

FRSC Recruitment 2018: 3rd Stage Commences Soon – Spokesman / Who Else Got This From Netjob ? (pictures) / Inquiry If Its GNLD Or NOT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.