Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,581 members, 7,820,103 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:44 AM

What Defiles A Man? Unclean Hands Or An Unclean Heart? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Defiles A Man? Unclean Hands Or An Unclean Heart? (220 Views)

Why It Is Okay For Christians To Eat Pork And Other Unclean Animals / HEALING SCHOOL: He Gave Us Power Against All Unclean Spirits / Is Man's Destiny In Gods Hands Or Is It Man That Shapes His Own Destiny? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Defiles A Man? Unclean Hands Or An Unclean Heart? by BackllGodNaija: 7:55am On Jun 28, 2020
What Defiles A Man? Unclean Hands Or An Unclean Heart?

The Pharisees thought it's unclean hands that defiles a man...

Mark 7:2,5

And when they saw some of his disciples eat bread with defiled, that is to say, with unwashen, hands, they found fault.

Then the Pharisees and scribes asked him, Why walk not thy disciples according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashen hands?

But Jesus corrected them and said it's not unclean hands but an unclean heart...

Matthew 15:3, 10-11, 19-20

But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?

And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand:
Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

The above instance clearly depicts the difference between the judgement of men who look on the outward appearance and that of God who looks at the heart. So while the Pharisees on that occasion represented the judgement of men, Jesus represented that of God.

However when the judgement of men was instead being posited as that of God as was done by the Pharisees, it undermines the impact of God commandments in the lives of men, because it's not a godly practice but just that of men. And the misguided lives of Pharisees and scribes were perfect illustrations of this consequence.

Hence why Jesus deemed it necessary to reorient the multitude concerning that very misleading notion, so they wouldn't be deceived to believe that such observations were acts of righteousness before God, when it actually wasn't but just the traditions of men.

However this saying of Jesus despite being the truth, was said to have offended the Pharisees and scribes. Matthew 15:12-14

So it's not surprising that some here, inclusive of christians, were offended when I said in a previous thread that "cleanliness is next to godliness" but not the cleanliness of the outward appearance but that of the heart, for that was expected.

However it's important that people don't get my intentions twisted, because I'm not at all against outward cleanliness and I don't think Jesus was either, but this was adjudged necessary to correct the wrong impression that outwards cleanliness was next to godliness as the world and even some Christians think, because it's really misleading and could lead to eternally damning consequences.

And the saying of Jesus that it's not unclean hands but an unclean heart which defiles a man, seemed the most appropriate means to confirm this truth, and hence bring it to a conclusion.

God bless Nigeria.
Re: What Defiles A Man? Unclean Hands Or An Unclean Heart? by Professorcplus(m): 8:06am On Jun 28, 2020
And the saying of Jesus that it's not unclean hands but an unclean heart which defiles a man, seemed the most appropriate means to confirm this truth, and hence bring it to a conclusion.
Humm. Well said. It's just that many don't follow their Saviour's teaching. They have become the Pharisees Jesus was referring to.

1 Like

Re: What Defiles A Man? Unclean Hands Or An Unclean Heart? by alphaRego01(m): 8:12am On Jun 28, 2020
Both
Re: What Defiles A Man? Unclean Hands Or An Unclean Heart? by BackllGodNaija: 8:29am On Jun 28, 2020
Professorcplus:

Humm. Well said. It's just that many don't follow their Saviour's teaching. They have become the Pharisees Jesus was referring to.
You have a valid point
Re: What Defiles A Man? Unclean Hands Or An Unclean Heart? by BackllGodNaija: 10:21am On Jun 30, 2020
alphaRego01:
Both
Okay
Re: What Defiles A Man? Unclean Hands Or An Unclean Heart? by BackllGodNaija: 7:29am On Jul 05, 2020

Matthew 15:8-9
This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Re: What Defiles A Man? Unclean Hands Or An Unclean Heart? by IamWonderful: 7:31am On Jul 05, 2020
An evil heart corrupt the whole body

1 Like

Re: What Defiles A Man? Unclean Hands Or An Unclean Heart? by BackllGodNaija: 6:38am On Jul 08, 2020
IamWonderful:
An evil heart corrupt the whole body
True... that's what Jesus says.

(1) (Reply)

Stephanie Ike - "What If " / Lot Of People Are Scared Of Hell Fire / What Is Bible View On Cutting Ones Hair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.