Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,471 members, 7,954,841 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:39 AM

NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs (20320 Views)

No Planned Hike In Petrol Price At Our Retail Outlets, Says NNPC / Labour Accepts Deregulation As Government Halts Hike In Electricity Tariffs / Why NLC Won’t Protest Hike In Petrol, Electricity Tariffs Yet – Wabba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by MondayOsunbor(m): 2:46am On Jun 30, 2020
MISSCONGENIALITY:
I don't know why these demons are bent on making life hard for people.
They want to increase the tariff so that if you use to buy 5k electricity a month, you will buy 10k and it won't still be enough because what they will give you will be that of 4k. Instead of the NASS to make sure such plans to come to light, they are promising them till next year. What will happen next year that's not happening now. Will they increase salaries, will they provide prepaid meters, will they increase production, will they make other things cheaper so that Nigerians can afford hike in electricity? Or will the same people collecting the same pay and paying the same taxes and struggling to survive be the ones to pay for the hike?
Nigeria is just a dead country waiting to be burried and forgotten. How can a private business being funded by the government still be as useless and This. Why then do government invest in power.
Honestly I can't wait for Nigeria to start existing only in history books. It's painful

i feel your pain Nigeria is still heaven .you should wait until the Chinese creditors start coming for their money .

you will see how far this Govt messed our lives up

1 Like

Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by Nobody: 4:09am On Jun 30, 2020
WuraSerano:
Honestly, I don't understand the Nigerian government. How could an essential government agency be hell-bent on increasing electricity tarrif at this critical period?

1.DISCOS and GENCOS are no longer government owned. Been that way since 2014

2.Periodic price increases are part of the agreement that created the DISCOS and GENCOS. (the price increases were supposed to be performance related though)
Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by Douglaufuoma(m): 4:58am On Jun 30, 2020
OPPPS:

The FG has no power regards increment in the power tariff. They just played their intervention role as expected here.
Recall your Otuoke fisherman years ago mortgaged the Power distribution to his cronies and his woman friends in dubious manner called privatilization
it seems u are just program to repeat this phrase again and again, I ask u again what stops ur intelligent president from revoking the licence just as yaradua did to nnpc, why have they turn aso rock to where people learn how to shut. why are they demolishing our embassy in other country under ur super president
Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by Douglaufuoma(m): 5:05am On Jun 30, 2020
MondayOsunbor:

chief easy with the cursing

you should blame the south west who went to north to bring this evil upon the land
we still have to blame ourselves also for not coming out in mass to vote and also for our selfish governors who gave him 25 percent vote. I don't blame Lagos because if u look at their vote one will notice they were ready to vote against this government. but it is a shame the whole south east vote was not up to 1.5 million vote put together
Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by Aystarz: 5:08am On Jun 30, 2020
comshots:
E don reach 5 times wey Buhari don increase am.And no be say power supply dey stable.If IMF and World bank no give am loan he go dey look for where he go collect am from the people of Nigeria.He don increase VAT,POS service charge,bank stamp duty,fuel.Now na electricity tariffs.

Lawan and the Discos think say dem reverse psychology don work abi? Make we all wait till 2021 nau, if we no go enter streets to protest this useless hike. Fools in government!
Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by Ghostmode2two(m): 5:09am On Jun 30, 2020
When will the NASS ask the DISCOS to install prepaid meters to every Nigerian? When will the bill estimation stopped? When will the non reading of old analog meters stopped? Will the DISCOS ever get prosecuted for stealing from the people through bill estimation?

2 Likes

Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by Aystarz: 5:10am On Jun 30, 2020
MISSCONGENIALITY:
I don't know why these demons are bent on making life hard for people.
They want to increase the tariff so that if you use to buy 5k electricity a month, you will buy 10k and it won't still be enough because what they will give you will be that of 4k. Instead of the NASS to make sure such plans to come to light, they are promising them till next year. What will happen next year that's not happening now. Will they increase salaries, will they provide prepaid meters, will they increase production, will they make other things cheaper so that Nigerians can afford hike in electricity? Or will the same people collecting the same pay and paying the same taxes and struggling to survive be the ones to pay for the hike?
Nigeria is just a dead country waiting to be burried and forgotten. How can a private business being funded by the government still be as useless and This. Why then do government invest in power.
Honestly I can't wait for Nigeria to start existing only in history books. It's painful

And a mere page in some dusty old history book it will become ! Amen

1 Like

Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by Bighead9: 5:59am On Jun 30, 2020
Buhari is working, we Igbo's are proud of him.

Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by EdmundDantes(m): 6:37am On Jun 30, 2020
oz4real83:
Yeye plus yeye equals yeye. Why not force them to give metres? No matter how much they increase it to, it won't be up to what we spend on generators everyday. Why not improve power and provide prepaid meters before u talk of increasing tariffs. As long as they keep on bringing estimated bills of what we didn't consume, we pay nepa officials for repairs, we replace damaged power accessories by our selves, there will always be problems.

Nobody talks about this.
Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by Nobody: 7:13am On Jun 30, 2020
Well it comes at a bad time. Cost of operations gave gone up significantly and they will also be affected by forex issues. If the government is not giving them serious tax holidays and preferential forex exchange window, say goodbye to steady power supply.
Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by Openbusiness: 7:14am On Jun 30, 2020
COMPAQ:

I assume you are selling your products at a profit.

For the kind of business you are doing, you probably pay no taxes on your profits, but you expect the DISCOs to make losses to provide you with electricity at the same price of 5years ago. Have the prices of what you sell remained the same in 5 years?
I have never paid the same amount for electricity 5 years ago same amount as today. They have always been increasing it. Under Fashola as power Minister, I think they gave increase more than 2 times already. I sell for profit, they sell for profit, that is business. BUT they have 180 million customers, with government backing and infrastructure. They have govt incentive for their operations. I carry my cross on my head myself alone. If I make 2000 gain from 50 customers, that is 100k. Even if let's say I don't pay all the direct taxes, I pay some direct and indirect taxes, like half of the profit is gone to govt one way or another. If they make 2000 profit from 180m people that is 360 billion profit to be shared by discos that are not even up to 20. Now check it well. So they are making huge profits already. Nothing like losses for them. Why do they still want to cut our neck? If the thieves in govt are squeezing them for more money, then they should tell us so we can fight on their behalf and vote the thieves out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by Eryyy92: 7:21am On Jun 30, 2020
please help a brother
I have been working at a bar where I was paid 7k monthly
but since the closure of bear parlours in port Harcourt it has been difficult for me. please any amount will be highly appreciated
0510547201 GT bank
or 2145391528 uba
Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 7:33am On Jun 30, 2020
MondayOsunbor:

i feel your pain Nigeria is still heaven .you should wait until the Chinese creditors start coming for their money .

you will see how far this Govt messed our lives up
That's the most annoying part of it. They keep borrowing money, recovering loots and yet the money if no where to be found. They still increase everything even, they don't use the money they borrowed to change anything. Now when China comes for their money the useless gov will look for how to milk it out of Nigerians.
Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 7:34am On Jun 30, 2020
Aystarz:

And a mere page in some dusty old history book it will become ! Amen
Amen
Amen
Amen
Amen

1 Like

Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by Nobody: 8:23am On Jun 30, 2020
Openbusiness:

I have never paid the same amount for electricity 5 years ago same amount as today. They have always been increasing it. Under Fashola as power Minister, I think they gave increase more than 2 times already. I sell for profit, they sell for profit, that is business. BUT they have 180 million customers, with government backing and infrastructure. They have govt incentive for their operations. I carry my cross on my head myself alone. If I make 2000 gain from 50 customers, that is 100k. Even if let's say I don't pay all the direct taxes, I pay some direct and indirect taxes, like half of the profit is gone to govt one way or another. If they make 2000 profit from 180m people that is 360 billion profit to be shared by discos that are not even up to 20. Now check it well. So they are making huge profits already. Nothing like losses for them. Why do they still want to cut our neck? If the thieves in govt are squeezing them for more money, then they should tell us so we can fight on their behalf and vote the thieves out.

1. You cleverly did not answer the question of the guy you quoted?

Would you be offering your services at the cost you were offering it 5 years ago?

Would you offer your product at give away price for the sake of the masses?.Since most of the people you are selling too are poor?

Discos are private companies. As are gencos. And they cannot give us power because people like you want them to operate at a loss.

Meanwhile you won't be happy if someone hired you at the rate you were offering 6 years ago.
Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by MondayOsunbor(m): 8:46am On Jun 30, 2020
MISSCONGENIALITY:
That's the most annoying part of it. They keep borrowing money, recovering loots and yet the money if no where to be found. They still increase everything even, they don't use the money they borrowed to change anything. Now when China comes for their money the useless gov will look for how to milk it out of Nigerians.

sure now where do you think they will take the money from?

oil price is not really coming back seriously
Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by Openbusiness: 8:51am On Jun 30, 2020
kikero:

1. You cleverly did not answer the question of the guy you quoted?

Would you be offering your services at the cost you were offering it 5 years ago?

Would you offer your product at give away price for the sake of the masses?.Since most of the people you are selling too are poor?

Discos are private companies. As are gencos. And they cannot give us power because people like you want them to operate at a loss.

Meanwhile you won't be happy if someone hired you at the rate you were offering 6 years ago.
Boss I don't want them to operate at a loss. I answered the question, the price they are charging today is not the same price as at 2015. 5hey have already increased it about 2 or 3 times already. If not that this small NEPA bill printouts they give someone use to fade with time, I will have find some of my old Nepa bills of 2015 and 2020 and post it her for you to see that their charging rate is different. They have been increasing it. But I'm not saying they should operate at a loss, I want them to make profit, after all they are a business, they are private investors, they have staff to pay and running costs to pay, huge tax to pay, and we are a capitalist society. So I'm not against their progress. But what I'm saying is, the nature of their business works hand in hand and collaboration with govt. So instead of trying them (govt + disco) to high prices, they should implement better systems and projects that will deliver electricity at cheaper costs. I have been to warri refinery before. 24hrs 24/7 gas flarin and millions of cubic of gas that can be converted to electricity to make electricity cheaper for everyone is wasting away everyday. How long will the masses continue to suffer and pay for the inefficiency of govt. If discos want more money they should fight to reduce govt share in their profits, not put rope on our own neck and hang us. The customers are not the problem, the govt is
Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by otokx(m): 8:55am On Jun 30, 2020
Government should provide meters free of charge for all Nigerian residents.

2 Likes

Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by Openbusiness: 8:56am On Jun 30, 2020
otokx:
May you live long. This are the type of things that we should be benefiting from govt without any conditions attached

1 Like

Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by Nobody: 9:01am On Jun 30, 2020
Openbusiness:

Boss I don't want them to operate at a loss. I answered the question, the price they are charging today is not the same price as at 2015. 5hey have already increased it about 2 or 3 times already. If not that this small NEPA bill printouts they give someone use to fade with time, I will have find some of my old Nepa bills of 2015 and 2020 and post it her for you to see that their charging rate is different. They have been increasing it. But I'm not saying they should operate at a loss, I want them to make profit, after all they are a business, they are private investors, they have staff to pay and running costs to pay, huge tax to pay, and we are a capitalist society. So I'm not against their progress. But what I'm saying is, the nature of their business works hand in hand and collaboration with govt. So instead of trying them (govt + disco) to high prices, they should implement better systems and projects that will deliver electricity at cheaper costs. I have been to warri refinery before. 24hrs 24/7 gas flarin and millions of cubic of gas that can be converted to electricity to make electricity cheaper for everyone is wasting away everyday. How long will the masses continue to suffer and pay for the inefficiency of govt. If discos want more money they should fight to reduce govt share in their profits, not put rope on our own neck and hang us. The customers are not the problem, the govt is

The government has had no hand in distribution and generation since 2014.

If you want discos to.operate at a.profit why are you opposing their right to increase prices?
Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by Nobody: 9:04am On Jun 30, 2020
otokx:

Nigerians too should not bypass the meters.

Plus discos and gencos are private companies. They (discos) use their money to provide us meters.

Should they dash us meters.for free,without them recouping the money they spent buying them?

You want power for.free. that's not how it works.
Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by ifeanyi317(m): 9:23am On Jun 30, 2020
if only you guys know what is happening in the power sector you will encourage this hike because then the Discos will be more responsible in their dealings and you can hold them accountable. Even the meter self that you are all craving for will be taking care of by the said PIP that was used to initiate the increase in tariff. The Govt is just prolonging the inevitable thing to do in the sector.

1 Like

Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by Openbusiness: 9:25am On Jun 30, 2020
kikero:

The government has had no hand in distribution and generation since 2014.

If you want discos to.operate at a.profit why are you opposing their right to increase prices?
No hand, so how come govt is the one approving or fixing prices? Cuz me I no understand again. I'm not familiar with disco matter. Na NEPA I still count everything as grin
Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by Nobody: 9:31am On Jun 30, 2020
Openbusiness:

No hand, so how come govt is the one approving or fixing prices? Cuz me I no understand again. I'm not familiar with disco matter. Na NEPA I still count everything as grin

Because the laws enabling the setting up of the discos left price controls in the hands of government via NBET .

As a result discos,despite being private entities, don't control the price of what they offer

It is like government stepping into your business and telling you how much you should charge your customer.

Something similar happens in the petroleum industry, with the sales of petrol
Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by professorPABX: 9:37am On Jun 30, 2020
Panasonic PABX Comprehensive Repairs & Service Centre. For solutions, board level repairs & integration.

Repair your damaged or malfunctioning PABX during this Raining Season.

Contact Professor PABX on 08033737534, 07082375805
Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by Openbusiness: 9:53am On Jun 30, 2020
kikero:

Because the laws enabling the setting up of the discos left price controls in the hands of government via NBET .

As a result discos,despite being private entities, don't control the price of what they offer

It is like government stepping into your business and telling you how much you should charge your customer.

Something similar happens in the petroleum industry, with the sales of petrol
Ok, I understand you better now. Thanks for breaking it down
Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by charlsecy(m): 10:28am On Jun 30, 2020
tutudesz:
After I don go buy credit full my card already undecided before Dem do their 100% increase
You lost nothing.
Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by Jungleluv5: 12:28pm On Jun 30, 2020
Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by WelcomeToBiafra: 6:22pm On Jun 30, 2020
One4me:

Hmmm.... come and hear talk o.
Why dont you show us how far you have turned the South East or just one state there, to Dubai, maybe envy will make us beg for hlep from you. grin grin
Or is is not that Bi@-Fr@ud Erosion Wasteland, the worst areas in Nigeria are to be found there. shocked
Yeeye dey smell.

See the zoo looking for where to steal another Biafrans projects/glory.

Who are in charge of Biafraland resources?
Re: NASS Halts Planned Hike In Electricity Tariffs by KrazyDave16(m): 10:50am On Jul 04, 2020
fergie006:

https://punchng.com/breaking-nass-halts-planned-hike-in-electricity-tariffs/?amp=1&utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true

It has increased already, nothing was halted.

Bought units for 5k today, loaded it. Guess what I got...

87 units. For 5k o. angry

5k that should've lasted a month won't last 2wks talk less of units worth 10k.

It's like an upgraded version of estimated billing

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

8 Docked For ‘Improperly Interfering With A Corpse’ / 99.9% Households Yet To Receive FG’s Cash Transfer – World Bank / Pastor Adeboyes's Private Jet A Must Read

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.