Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,176 members, 7,829,212 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:36 PM

What Can Nigerians Learn From The Egyptian Uprising - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Can Nigerians Learn From The Egyptian Uprising (2163 Views)

Mexico Missing Students Mayor Held Responsible Not President, Nigerians Learn . / Nelson Mandela - RIP - What Can We As Nigerians Learn From His Life. / 20 Burnt To Death In Another Fuel Scooping Tragedy. When Will Nigerians Learn? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can Nigerians Learn From The Egyptian Uprising by Kobojunkie: 7:21pm On Feb 03, 2011
akinalabi:

Not sure why I will be needing google to look for what I witnessed. Not sure I need some links to remember battles with the police and army. Some of those battles, some folks didnt return home after being killed by the police.

How many people did you witness their killing? How many people do you know of that died during the PEACEFUL riots? 

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=KmQxAAAAIBAJ&sjid=O6IFAAAAIBAJ&pg=4089,4073265&dq=nigeria+june+12+1993&hl=en

Read the part on Segun Jegede blaming the army(note that is not the same as saying the army did it), right before he confesses the demonstration reveals that people can always [b]fight [/b]the dictators.
Re: What Can Nigerians Learn From The Egyptian Uprising by fstranger1: 7:22pm On Feb 03, 2011
^^^
akinalabi:

Not sure why I will be needing google to look for what I witnessed. Not sure I need some links to remember battles with the police and army. Some of those battles, some folks didnt return home after being killed by the police.

It seems like you dont know who you are talking to

You are wasting your time trying to snap her out of her delusional state

Yes, she has that effect on everyone, she knows how to fabricate stuff and put a spin that suits her phantasmagoric imagination on well recorded historical events
Re: What Can Nigerians Learn From The Egyptian Uprising by Kobojunkie: 7:30pm On Feb 03, 2011
Also . . .

June 12 also proved that most Nigerian politicians are bread and butter politicians. For instance, most political analysts would always find it difficult to logically fix the roles of Alhaji Kingibe not only in the junta of the satanically goggled General that consolidated the annulment, but also throughout the whole post-annul-ment political calculations in the country. Most of the politicians abandoned the struggle for the validation of the political mandate given freely by the electorate for what they could reap from the fruits of injustice that Abacha junta represented.

Moreover, June 12 really exposed the fragility of Nigeria. As said earlier, the foundation of the nation’s unity was badly shaken. Some Nigerians, especially from outside the South-West, insincerely tied the struggle to ethnic agenda. It was just an escapist approach to such serious political issue and glaring injustice.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/the-hard-fact/6823-remembering-june-12-1993-election?fontstyle=f-smaller
Re: What Can Nigerians Learn From The Egyptian Uprising by akinalabi(m): 7:46pm On Feb 03, 2011
I dont know how those links will change what my eyes saw  grin

People outside the Southwest tying the struggle to ethnic agenda? How did that change the PERSONAL experience I had?

Were those articles talking about ALL the demonstrations and fights at ALL places? Did it mention the one we matched to at the 2nd mech Div in Ibadan and got beat by soldiers?

This is a futile excercise.

Enjoy yourself.

Onward. . .
Re: What Can Nigerians Learn From The Egyptian Uprising by Kobojunkie: 7:51pm On Feb 03, 2011
akinalabi:

And do you know who you are talking to as well?
I am talking to someone online who seems to not have seen and followed the news from the period I speak of .
akinalabi:

I dont know how those links will change what my eyes saw  grin
Well, unless you are going to tell us you saw all 118 people who were reportedly killed during the riot periods, I do suggest you get a 360 on what really happened around you.
akinalabi:

People outside the Southwest tying the struggle to ethnic agenda? How did that change the PERSONAL experience I had?
What people outside the South West? Most of the killings happened in the south west considering Lagos was still center of activity in back then Nigeria.
akinalabi:

Were those articles talking about ALL the demonstrations and fights at ALL places? Did it mention the one we matched to at the 2nd mech Div in Ibadan and got beat by soldiers?
Dude, again, please focus. How many people did you see killed by the army/police? Unless you are going to tell us that you witnessed all the killings, then I have no clue why you think you should be taken more seriously than reports actually logged during the said period.
Re: What Can Nigerians Learn From The Egyptian Uprising by akinalabi(m): 8:03pm On Feb 03, 2011
fstranger1:

You are wasting your time trying to snap her out of her delusional state

Yes, she has that effect on everyone, she knows how to fabricate stuff and put a spin that suits her phantasmagoric imagination on well recorded historical events

I agree.

Just wasted precious time.
Re: What Can Nigerians Learn From The Egyptian Uprising by cap28: 9:08pm On Feb 03, 2011
Nigeria has a lot to learn from the egyptian uprising - first of all the egyptians have been able to overcome religious differences and unite under one banner to oust a western puppet who has been terrorising his people for the past 30years. 

I am so impressed with the courage, tenacity and sheer determination of the Egyptians, they are uncompromising in their demands.  I think we in nigeria are yet to reach that level of unity of purpose.

Secondly unlike many of us the egyptians understand the agenda of the americans and they do not trust them.

They  understand that  america has been propping up Mubarak for 30 years providing military aid worth $1.5 billion dollars each year.

Have we in Nigeria reached that level of awareness?  for example are we even aware that succcessive nigerian leaders have been nothing more than western puppets whose sole objective is to serve their puppet masters and not the nigerian people?  many of us are unaware of this fact.

Are we also aware that nigeria is a recipient of military aid from the United States, and that this military aid is what has been propping up corrupt nigerian regimes since we gained our "independence".

Are we aware that nigeria puts the interests of its puppet masters before the interest of its own people? many of us actually think that we live in a democracy when in actual fact we live in a police state , the Egyptians by contrast understand that Egypt under Mubarak is a corrupt police state run by gangsters

Thirdly unlike us - the egyptians have refused to put their trust and hopes in a govt run by a criminal cabal, they have had enough of the high unemployment, poverty and brutality of Mubarak and his collaborators - have we had enough of the corrupt gang running nigeria? I would say no - this is why we continue to put our hopes in the same old recycled crooks who have nothing but the same old agenda for nigeria.

When i look at the sheer courage of the egyptians - facing down tanks and snipers, tear gas, rubber and live  bullets and water cannons  i can only take my hat off to them - we have a lot to learn from them.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jega Pledges Free & Fair Election In Cross River / Fuel Subsidy Removal Again / Some Relevant Data On Child Marriage In Nigeria (Infographic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.