Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,187 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. (17943 Views)

A Plea For Peace Between The Igbo & Yoruba / Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo / Between Igbo, Yoruba And Other Nigerian Women. What Is It With Igbo Women? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Chyz2: 10:01pm On Feb 08, 2011
ChinenyeN:

If I remember correctly, those who migrated and settled at Ngwaukwu were actually large extended families and kinsmen. The lineage heads were brothers and cousins, if I remember correctly. I'll have to go and make sure though.

Check this out,just want to share this page: http://www.freewebs.com/abohmbaiseimage/abohmbaiseimage.htm

You may want to start at the category named Aborigin.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by aljharem(m): 10:01pm On Feb 08, 2011
Chyz*:

All you people from across the Niger River, whether you like it or not, are Igbo in every ramification, except of couse the minority tribes such as the Ibibio,Efiks,etc. Stop fighting each other and accept it.You are all the same.If DNA was taken to find out what tribe you are it would say that you are Igbo. Because your community/area name is different from one another,means nothing because it is just that, a community name. You are nwa onye Igbo, accept it and sleep peacefully and stop arguing with one another.

chineke me oooo

how can you say this shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by ChinenyeN(m): 10:13pm On Feb 08, 2011
I've been through that site before, Chyz. I even have it as my browser favorites.

Obiagu1:

Igbos are still Igbos. We had infusions but when you check the population of our neighbours compared to us and then take a minute percentage of them as those that infused into the Igbo society, what you get is an insignificant contribution to our DNA.

Your problem is that you harp on this division, heterogeity a lot to the irritation of others not just me. Our DNA is no longer pure in every Igbo Clan but you can't get a completely ultered DNA that'll question their root.

My point is the infusion is insignificant.
The bolded is my only point. It makes the whole claim of "Igbo blood" increasingly less legitimate. Some groups will turn out 'more Igbo' then others, if you get what I mean. You may even find some communities to not be 'Igbo' at all, if you also get the point I'm making. That's why I don't use that DNA/'Igbo blood' argument.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Obiagu1(m): 10:15pm On Feb 08, 2011
Do you actually know the meaning of significant and insignificant?
I tire for you oo.

If your 'Igbo blood' is 90% - 99%, does that make your 'Igbo blood' non-Igbo?
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Chyz2: 10:30pm On Feb 08, 2011
ChinenyeN:

I've been through that site before, Chyz. I even have it as my browser favorites.

So then you can see that even before those people, who are called Ngwa today were from different groups before they occupied what is presently called Ngwa land. It is all migration. And before the naming of those areas by the gov. who's to say those people all called themselves Ngwa? Unless of course their was once a King of the "Ngwa" people who he and his henchmen went all cross Ngwaland and to people that, "Due to you making it across the river, you are call the Ngwa people".If so, who was that King? The Aros for example is understandable because they had a king. I hope you get where I am coming from.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by ChinenyeN(m): 11:21pm On Feb 08, 2011
Obiagu1:

If your 'Igbo blood' is 90% - 99%, does that make your 'Igbo blood' non-Igbo?
My question now is (serious question, by the way), how do you judge that percentage? Who are the pure-bred stock to which you can point to as a marker?

Chyz*:

So then you can see that even before those people, who are called Ngwa today were from different groups before they occupied what is presently called Ngwa land. It is all migration. And before the naming of those areas by the gov. who's to say those people all called themselves Ngwa? Unless of course their was once a King of the "Ngwa" people who he and his henchmen went all cross Ngwaland and to people that, "Due to you making it across the river, you are call the Ngwa people".If so, who was that King? The Aros for example is understandable because they had a king. I hope you get where I am coming from.
Traditions suggest the existence of the name "Ngwa", before the Imo crossing incident, but, I do get where you're coming from, and no there was no king.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by aljharem(m): 11:29pm On Feb 08, 2011
ChinenyeN:

My question now is (serious question, by the way), how do you judge that percentage? Who are the pure-bred stock to which you can point to as a marker?
Traditions suggest the existence of the name "Ngwa", before the Imo crossing incident, but, I do get where you're coming from, and no there was no king.

thank you, i was wondering what chyz* was talking about
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Obiagu1(m): 11:38pm On Feb 08, 2011
ChinenyeN:

The thing is that you don't know how it works. Your paternal lineage is intact no matter how many non-Igbo wives your ancestors had.
If you want to prove a point, go and do a DNA test, if they say you're from Congo, then come back here and tell us I told you so.

If you want to do a little mathematics, note our population and our neighbours, calculate our total percentage in respect to our neighbours, then take a small percentage out of our neighbours' population (those, mainly men, that infused into our society) and add it to ours, then recalculate the effect that will have. If it tells you our percentage drops by 10%, good, 60% good, it's for your own consumption.

I'm done with your kobo argument.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by ChinenyeN(m): 11:58pm On Feb 08, 2011
Well, I'm still interested in knowing how you gauge the percentages. Which group is the marker? I ask this because percentages are always relative, basically meaning that one cannot be 60% Igbo, relative to nothing. So, I'm really interested in knowing what (or better yet, who) these percentages are relative to.

Also, note: you seem to want to argue with me, but I didn't come here to argue; just understand. In fact, if you notice, I've mainly just been asking questions this entire time. I'm not here to argue anything with anyone. I don't know why you all keep doing this.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Obiagu1(m): 12:17am On Feb 09, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Well, I'm still interested in knowing how you gauge the percentages. Which group is the marker? I ask this because percentages are always relative, basically meaning that one cannot be 60% Igbo, relative to nothing. So, I'm really interested in knowing what (or better yet, who) these percentages are relative to.

Also, note: you seem to want to argue with me, but I didn't come here to argue; just understand. In fact, if you notice, I've mainly just been asking questions this entire time. I'm not here to argue anything with anyone. I don't know why you all keep doing this.

Ask those that do DNA test which group is the marker and how they got the marker, so don't ask me.
Except you don't understand what you write, your posts hinged on one point, heterogeity. No matter how you frame it, argument, dialogue, inquiry, curiosity, etc, it's because you sincerely believe we are not one. I hate repeating myself, but I just told you the infusion we have in Igbo society is insignificant. Then who are Igbos? We, including you and I.

If you have proof that states that Mbaise are entirely different people from Nri and entirely different from Orlu, then you're making sense, else the marker is WE!

As for percentage being relative, you can be 50% Igbo if your mother is non-Igbo, but your paternal lineage (not sure of the name of the mtDNA) is still purely Igbo.
If you want to look at the percentage, it is not for an individual but for the entire groups that call themselves Igbo. The (male) infusion into our society is insignificant to alter the general proportion of Igbos (purely paternal).
If you personally want to get a hint of what that percentage could be, follow the procedure I outlined in my previous post, I won't do it for you because I'm not interested in knowing.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by ChinenyeN(m): 12:41am On Feb 09, 2011
Obiagu1:

Ask those that do DNA test which group is the marker and how they got the marker, so don't ask me.
Except you don't understand what you write, your posts hinged on one point, heterogeity. No matter how you frame it, argument, dialogue, inquiry, curiosity, etc, it's because you sincerely believe we are not one. I hate repeating myself, but I just told you the infusion we have in Igbo society is insignificant. Then who are Igbos? We, including you and I.

If you have proof that states that Mbaise are entirely different people from Nri and entirely different from Orlu, then you're making sense, else the marker is WE!

As for percentage being relative, you can be 50% Igbo if your mother is non-Igbo, but your paternal lineage (not sure of the name of the mtDNA) is still purely Igbo.
If you want to look at the percentage, it is not for an individual but for the entire groups that call themselves Igbo. The (male) infusion into our society is insignificant to alter the general proportion of Igbos (purely paternal).
If you personally want to get a hint of what that percentage could be, follow the procedure I outlined in my previous post, I won't do it for you because I'm not interested in knowing.
The bold/italicized basically ends this discussion for me. I'm not at all interested in determining the percentages of various groups. Instead, all of what I've said and asked, regarding this topic of "Igbo blood" is to simply understand/know how you're gauging it, so I can gain some kind of insight into who the pure-blood Igbo are. I'm not interested in figuring out my percentage. I'm not even the least bit concerned with whatever percentage of 'Igbo blood' I have in me.

Well, anyway, I guess my fruitless endeavor to find the pure-bloods ends here, for now, since you cannot tell me who the marker is, other than "we". It's disappointing, but thanks anyway for everything else.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Obiagu1(m): 12:54am On Feb 09, 2011
ChinenyeN:

The bold/italicized basically ends this discussion for me. I'm not at all interested in determining the percentages of various groups. Instead, all of what I've said and asked, regarding this topic of "Igbo blood" is to simply understand/know how you're gauging it, so I can gain some kind of insight into who the pure-blood Igbo are. I'm not interested in figuring out my percentage. I'm not even the least bit concerned with whatever percentage of 'Igbo blood' I have in me.

Well, anyway, I guess my fruitless endeavor to find the pure-bloods ends here, for now, since you cannot tell me who the marker is, other than "we". It's disappointing, but thanks anyway for everything else.

Keep seaching for 'pure Igbo' blood. I know the one done currently and used to know who the Igbos are will not satisfy you. Goodluck as you study genetics, obtain samples and carry out tests and get an answer that satisfies you.

It is still 'we', people of Mbaise, Nri, Orlu, etc except you have something that says it's not 'we'.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by ChinenyeN(m): 12:57am On Feb 09, 2011
Obiagu1:

Keep seaching for 'pure Igbo' blood. I know the one done currently and used to know who the Igbos are will not satisfy you. Goodluck as you study genetics, obtain samples and carry out tests and get an answer that satisfies you.

It is still 'we', people of Mbaise, Nri, Orlu, etc except you have something that says it's not 'we'.
@ the bolded. Okay, now we're getting somewhere. Mind pointing me in the direction of that one? If you can't then just simply say so. No need for more sarcasm.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by ekubear1: 1:08am On Feb 09, 2011
Perhaps a bioscientist can chime in. . . how accurate are these genetic tests? Are they able to identify that specifically?

I've always been under the impression that it was a bit of a crock. . .but have not thoroughly researched their methodology to make sure that it is valid.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Obiagu1(m): 1:10am On Feb 09, 2011
ChinenyeN:

@ the bolded. Okay, now we're getting somewhere. Mind pointing me in the direction of that one? If you can't then just simply say so. No need for more sarcasm.

If you cannot reason that they got the sample they are using from 'we', the Igbo people of Nigeria and use it to determine whether AAs originated from Igboland, then you have problem, serious one.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by ChinenyeN(m): 1:12am On Feb 09, 2011
Obiagu1, I don't believe you're understanding me. I'm not interested in the samples. I'm interested in who the samples point toward. There is a difference.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by ChinenyeN(m): 1:17am On Feb 09, 2011
eku_bear:

Perhaps a bioscientist can chime in. . . how accurate are these genetic tests? Are they able to identify that specifically?

I've always been under the impression that it was a bit of a crock. . .but have not thoroughly researched their methodology to make sure that it is valid.
I've always wondered this as well, but seeing as to how paternity can be determined genetically, I don't see why 'regional genetic affiliation' can't also be determined. The accuracy of such though would vary depending on which person or persons, or organizations are conducting it. Screening methodologies would take a lot of time though.
Re: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba Were British Creations. by Ziyadah(f): 1:20pm On Apr 02, 2017
Ikengawo:

i googled it and got a lot of tribalistic nonsense from this site that didn't help me find the answer you wanted me to find.

so why don't you just tell me.

what does Yoruba mean in

Yoruba?
Why does every yoruba city state have it's own king if they're a united entity? how many kings does the united entity of ancient England have? how many emperors does the united entity of ancient China have?

Igbo has no meaning in Igbo

I can tell you now that England means Land of the Anglos in it you see the english word 'land' and the identity of the NATION 'Anglo-Saxon'

so what does Yoruba mean in Yoruba?

FYI:england is also not also a united entity for so many years until the act o union in 1707
An avera Welsh knws he Is nt d same Scots and bla bla hence they had different leaders
Their tongues ain't d same at all jst like Ondo ain't d same with osun u grabbing? Buh dey are similar all d same according to dem hence (English Land):England.they had to join to appear and become a strong nation
So do d remaining arithmetic urself

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ahmadu Umaru Fintiri Remanded In Prison / Bank Alerts Rain On Ebonyi Civil Servants / The Scandal Of Census Figures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.