Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,277 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:19 AM

Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo (38817 Views)

See How The Nigerian Army Is Transported To The Battlefield In 2015 / Nigeria Army Is Developing Aviation Unit / US Army War College.class Of 80.buhari's Set(pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by youngies(m): 6:09am On Nov 03, 2012
Does the United States of America [USA] have any ulterior motive commencing the recruitment of young men and women from two ethnic groups in Nigeria: Igbo and Hausa into the US army?

According to the recruitment exercise’s dedicated website www.defence.gov/news/mavni-fact-sheet, the US army is looking for native speakers of 44 languages, including Hausa, Igbo, Azerbaijani, Cambodian-Khmer, Persian Dari (spoken in Afghanistan), Portuguese, Tamil (spoken in South Asia) and French (spoken in West Africa), among others.

The programme, code-named, Military Accessions Vital to the National Interest, or Mavni, is not open to illegal immigrants, who are barred by law from enlisting. In general, immigrants who are not citizens must have a permanent resident visa, known as a green card, to enlist. Under the programme, a total of 1,500 immigrants are to be recruited each year for two years, mainly into the Army.

Already, the New York Times, in its October 28, 2012 edition, reported the excitement of the recruits and US top officials handling the entire process.

Eileen Lainez, a Pentagon spokeswoman, said the programme was intended to fill “some of our most critical readiness needs.”

The programme , which was reportedly active in 2009, was suspended in January 2010, only for it to be re-activated in September this year.

According to the report, thousands of immigrants were enthusiastic of being recruited throughout the period the exercise was put in abeyance in January 2010, despite the fact that they could be deployed to conflict spots around the world.

Towards the end of September, the US Army headquarters, Pentagon, re-opened the programme, which the authorities claim is designed to enlist legal immigrants with special language and medical skills.

Some analysts say the eagerness of the immigrants is due to the prevalent appalling socio-economic and political crises in their home countries, as it has encouraged the scramble by most youths for the American visa lottery, with prospect for job opportunities in the United States.

US military officials were quoted as saying the year-long pilot programme brought an unusually well-educated and skilled cohort of immigrants into the armed services.

“Their qualifications were really stellar,” said Naomi Verdugo, assistant deputy for recruiting for the Army. “And we have been very pleased about how these folks have been performing.”

The programme is open to immigrants on temporary visas, who otherwise would not be eligible to enlist, while to qualify, immigrants must have been living in the US legally for at least two years, as well as be high school graduates and pass the entrance test.

According to the report, the first round filled up quickly, and the Army turned away thousands of people. Many of them signed the Facebook petition and were hoping the programme would start again.

More: http://channelkoos.com/index.php/news/2918-why-us-army-is-recruiting-hausa-igbo
Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by Caseless: 6:48am On Nov 03, 2012
Did i jst read 'they will be sent to conflict zone'? If i hear say i join....who they wan send go iraq or afghanistan, me? For weye? they will send them to iran cos isreal and the iranian govt will soon engage in war over iranian nuclear programme and u knw wat US(isreal' closest ally) can do in such a situation.

1 Like

Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by gilmaro(m): 7:23am On Nov 03, 2012
Us will never speak the truth. For 12years now american widows has increased by 120%. Thus Americans no longer join the army cos of the thousands of life they've lost since the William bush administration till this barrack Obama administration. Now they're looking for people to fill in the empty space in thier army, they call it a program designed to fill thier crucial readiness. And our people are joining what will take thier life with great enthusiasm. I wish them good luck.

17 Likes

Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by joeyfire(m): 7:32am On Nov 03, 2012
Not just hausas and igbos. A yoruba paddy man of mine joined about three years ago. Just goes to show what it takes to be a superpower state. They can easily attract nationals from all over the world to join their armed forces and indirectly have a very sound leg up just in case they need it
Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by Nobody: 7:46am On Nov 03, 2012
"Conflict zone" hmm.... I dey sense this as an objective of imperialism embarked upon by the US to konobi our naija. May be now or in nearest future oo...
Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by NegroNtns(m): 7:51am On Nov 03, 2012
caseless: Did i jst read 'they will be sent to conflict zone'? If i hear say i join....who they wan send go iraq or afghanistan, me? For weye? they will send them to iran cos isreal and the iranian govt will soon engage in war over iranian nuclear programme and u knw wat US(isreal' closest ally) can do in such a situation.

...well guess what, its time to walk-the-talk! Time for ndigbo to prove their Jewish ancestry and kinship with Israel....beside enlistment in US Army, they should enlist enmasse in Israeli Defense Force as well. They must defend their ancestral homeland against Persia.

9 Likes

Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by youngies(m): 8:20am On Nov 03, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

...well guess what, its time to walk-the-talk! Time for ndigbo to prove their Jewish ancestry and kinship with Israel....beside enlistment in US Army, they should enlist enmasse in Israeli Defense Force as well. They must defend their ancestral homeland against Persia.
Your sarcasm wasn't particularly funny

11 Likes

Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by NegroNtns(m): 8:25am On Nov 03, 2012
youngies:
Your sarcasm wasn't particularly funny

Have you not heard about BZM? What does the Z stand for?
Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by Horus(m): 8:28am On Nov 03, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

The US is using them to fight for their dirty war. During the vietnam war more than 30% of the killed soldiers were blacks even when blacks are only 13% of the US population; Strange?,No!, it was planned. Nigerians should not fight or give their lifes for the US or Israel, and don't get fooled by the word Jewish; These words, Jewish or Israeli are not in the scriptures. These terms are used because they know that they are not the original Israelites. That's why they never say that they live in the land Israel. They use the term, the state of Israel. The word "Jew" itself was a nickname for one of the tribes of Judah (Genesis 29:31-35); and other people (Go-Ee, Gentiles), who were not Hebrews, but managed to adopt the way of life of the tribe of Judah.

5 Likes

Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by Super1759: 9:23am On Nov 03, 2012
I think its not on a negative side. Igbos are known to be warriors right from orgin and smartest among the tribes. Hausa peeps are fearless and can lay their lives for their belief. So it has something to do with their attitude to fight

20 Likes

Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by AWKAMADEGUN: 9:27am On Nov 03, 2012
US are only interested in training important West African tribes..

The other tribes their names are not there are considered minority and inconsequential..
Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by Agiliti(m): 9:27am On Nov 03, 2012
Horus:

The US is using them to fight for their dirty war. During the vietnam war more than 30% of the killed soldiers were blacks even when blacks are only 13% of the US population; Strange?,No!, it was planned. Nigerians should not fight or give their lifes for the US or Israel, and don't get fooled by the word Jewish; These words, Jewish or Israeli are not in the scriptures. These terms are used because they know that they are not the original Israelites. That's why they never say that they live in the land Israel. They use the term, the state of Israel. The word "Jew" itself was a nickname for one of the tribes of Judah (Genesis 29:31-35); and other people (Go-Ee, Gentiles), who were not Hebrews, but managed to adopt the way of life of the tribe of Judah.

that's the way the game is played bro
Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by Ganys: 9:28am On Nov 03, 2012
2015 conspiracy against Nigeria is working...Whats gonna be their gain if this Beautiful Country break. Well, Since we cant deal with America,God is already helping us to deal with them with the recent hurricane Sandy....
If they attempt to Break Nigeria By 2015 by force, God Shall Dust them with Deadly Hurricane DUSTY....Useless Country angry

11 Likes

Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by ceejay80s(m): 9:28am On Nov 03, 2012
I prefer USA visa lottery
Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by Sijo01(f): 9:28am On Nov 03, 2012
Suicide mission!
Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by Nobody: 9:29am On Nov 03, 2012
My neighbour who just came back 2 weeks ago is in the US Army as a nurse.she has been to Afghanistan and Iraq treating wounded US soldiers.she was recruited just the same way as it written in the post.
Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by Agiliti(m): 9:30am On Nov 03, 2012
Super1759: I think its not on a negative side. Igbos are known to be warriors right from orgin and smartest among the tribes. Hausa peeps are fearless and can lay their lives for their belief. So it has something to do with their attitude to fight

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by Nobody: 9:31am On Nov 03, 2012
OMO YORUBA can only shout aaaaahhhhhhhhhh but Igbos and Hausas are die Heart!!! cool cool grin

9 Likes

Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by omiobo: 9:33am On Nov 03, 2012
AWKA_MADE_GUN: US are only interested in training important West African tribes..

The other tribes their names are not there are considered minority and inconsequential..

Ur name na sorry

2 Likes

Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by Nobody: 9:34am On Nov 03, 2012
Future Spies.

8 Likes

Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by OmichaelO: 9:35am On Nov 03, 2012
ceejay80s: I prefer USA visa lottery
sharp guy.. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by irecruit(m): 9:35am On Nov 03, 2012
Let them be wise. I dont even know why nigerians are so stupid.

1 Like

Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by MrGlobe(m): 9:35am On Nov 03, 2012
AWKA_MADE_GUN: US are only interested in training important West African tribes..

grin they can say whatever they like, that what they are only good at but in Nigeria and west Africa in general, its igbos, hausas and others

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by Ayowumie(m): 9:37am On Nov 03, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

So, because of mere unfounded assertion of ancestry, they have to go and die and for nothing?

1 Like

Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by Abbey2sam(m): 9:40am On Nov 03, 2012
Americans and their useless sense, if i may ask, are there igbo and hausa speaking tribe in iran and iraq or afgan? So wat do they need them for? To go and die in place of america army in those war zone.....i trust my pple we no go go,yoruba

20 Likes

Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by codeine123: 9:41am On Nov 03, 2012
Next!!!!!!
Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by Nobody: 9:42am On Nov 03, 2012
Dede1,Afam,onlylies,udezue and the other jobless ibo boys should take this opportunity as an attempt by the US to uplift the ibos from their extreme poverty and criminal lifestyle.

i just hope the Alh harem wont open fire on you ! lipsrsealed

4 Likes

Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by felifeli: 9:43am On Nov 03, 2012
Super1759: I think its not on a negative side. Igbos are known to be warriors right from orgin and smartest among the tribes. Hausa peeps are fearless and can lay their lives for their belief. So it has something to do with their attitude to fight

Na true o . Now that America is cutting Defence budget they must invest wisely on war resources. They must also have fall back plan whenever they don't have money to spend on weapons anymore, which may be very soon the way the economy is going. The Ibo and Hausa are strategic to this. Ibos are fearless and without gun they can fight with cutlass. You only need to give Hausa a koran and strap dynamite all over is body and you have a guided missile. Yoruba ke? Lailai , you wan kill me for my moda. grin grin grin

41 Likes

Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by 2goodbobo(m): 9:46am On Nov 03, 2012
The undertone of this arrangement am very sure is not borne out of goodwill. Just my own opinion thou, I stand to be corrected.
Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by Nobody: 9:49am On Nov 03, 2012
Mcdugull: OMO YORUBA can only shout aaaaahhhhhhhhhh but Igbos and Hausas are die Heart!!! cool cool grin
next civil war would be fought in yoruba land.
Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by Youngzedd(m): 9:53am On Nov 03, 2012
They are preparing for war.
So they want to use the Igbos and Hausa to attack Iran, dem they crazy.

Na we deserve to die in conflict zone and their men will be in command as in (Oga and boi boi)

No wonder their women are duped by some 9ja niggaz on daily basis about marriage things.

Blacks wise pass whites.

But wait ooo...
Why Yoruba no follow the league?
Na ONE Nigeria naa..
They should modify their speech as soon as possible.

Na now I knew what happened.

They want action not talking in the battle field, because they no say people go run when the deal will become tough.
No wonder....

Hmm you haven't seen anything yet, this thread will pass 9 pages. This war is for the mouth only, no weapon.

Just watch and see Nairalanders in action.

2 Likes

Re: Why US Army Is Recruiting Hausa, Igbo by Nobody: 9:58am On Nov 03, 2012
Youngzedd: They are preparing for war

If only an UNADULTERATED Odua republic will be achieved,let the war come !

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Buhari Poses With Kannywood Actors,pledges To Support Them [see Photo] / Police Shoot At EndSARS Protesters In Ogbomosho, Oyo (Video) / Tinubu Visits Alhaja Alanamu Who Prayed For His Success In All-Night Vigil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.