Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,826 members, 7,820,905 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:40 AM

Uk Tier 1 Post Study Work Closure - Will You Still Travel To The Uk To Study? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Uk Tier 1 Post Study Work Closure - Will You Still Travel To The Uk To Study? (2311 Views)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered / Post Study Work Visa - Points Based System Tier 1-rejection Without Appeal. Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uk Tier 1 Post Study Work Closure - Will You Still Travel To The Uk To Study? by zibby(m): 11:32pm On Feb 02, 2011
Hi there,

I'm just interested in the reaction of the group to the UK government indications that the Tier 1 Post Study Work visa will be scrapped. If indeed this goes ahead, will you still be interested in coming to study in the UK?

I guess my question is, does travel to the UK for study purposes seem worth the hefty expense, if the possibility of working in the UK after your studies have been completed is slim?

I'm wondering if a UK degree is still much valued at home, beyond the opportunity it brings to settle outside the country. Thanks in advance for your candid views!
Re: Uk Tier 1 Post Study Work Closure - Will You Still Travel To The Uk To Study? by justwise(m): 8:15am On Feb 03, 2011
I hope that the proposal doesn't go ahead, if it does, then there are pple who will be devastated cos they are here already hoping to apply for PSW after graduation.

People will still come to the UK to study though, especially those who are on study-leave with a good job in Nigeria as well as those from a wealthy family who are sure of walking into a job the moment they go back to Nigeria
Re: Uk Tier 1 Post Study Work Closure - Will You Still Travel To The Uk To Study? by joxiri: 3:29pm On Feb 03, 2011
I dont know why people keep saying this
the psw is not going to get scrapped the worst possible case scenario is a change in the eligibility
the benefits of psw still outweigh the cons in my opinion
Re: Uk Tier 1 Post Study Work Closure - Will You Still Travel To The Uk To Study? by justwise(m): 3:32pm On Feb 03, 2011
joxiri:

I dont know why people keep saying this
the psw is not going to get scrapped the worst possible case scenario is a change in the eligibility the benefits of psw still outweigh the cons in my opinion

Scrapping it as in the list of a proposals
Re: Uk Tier 1 Post Study Work Closure - Will You Still Travel To The Uk To Study? by silentc(m): 5:28pm On Feb 03, 2011
I would assume that if the govt chooses to scrap PSW, it does so for new students from 2011 i.e students who are already studying in the UK get the opportunity to apply for PSW.

It would be unfair to have a retrospective law which affects students who are already in the UK before the law was passed.
Re: Uk Tier 1 Post Study Work Closure - Will You Still Travel To The Uk To Study? by reindeer: 9:46pm On Feb 03, 2011
The UK hardly ever makes retrospective laws.
It will most likely be scrapped based on the recommendations of the committee which did the review.
Only time will tell though.I know the UK will lose a lot of money if this proposal goes ahead, even the high commission in lagos go hear am cheesy
Re: Uk Tier 1 Post Study Work Closure - Will You Still Travel To The Uk To Study? by kidonig: 4:03am On Feb 05, 2011
Hi,
I have had this discussion and the link to see this in the thread is:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-575600.160.html

There you will even see the link to the sites where this plan was put forward. If they do stop PSW which is very likely I will be surprised if it doesn't affect those currently studying in the UK.
Re: Uk Tier 1 Post Study Work Closure - Will You Still Travel To The Uk To Study? by tjadeba(m): 9:25pm On Feb 06, 2011
watch the debate on Post study work visa by the British Parliament here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/tv/bbc_parliament/watchlive

its really important as the VCs try to defend the scheme as the cancellation would lead to outright drop in the number of international students who subsidize the home students pay which is said to be around £5 Billion

(1) (Reply)

Invitation Letter Needed / Facts About Cashew Beach In Akwa Ibom / Which Way Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.