Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,703 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:51 PM

What Does Buhari Do For A Living? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Does Buhari Do For A Living? (9224 Views)

Today March 28, It's Exactly A Year We Voted For Buhari, Do You Regret? / What Does Buhari Think He's Doing? / What Does Buhari Do For A Living? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by cold(m): 7:20pm On Feb 03, 2011
meine:

[b]He earns allowance as the head of state, and does some farming by the side, Much of his campaign funds will come from us the masses,
I have yet to hear of a Buhari presidential campaign donation fund.If you have,pray tell
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by KunleOshob(m): 7:24pm On Feb 03, 2011
People keep giving Buhari undue credit for his anti corruption fight when he was in power, the truth is that those of us that are old enough to remember would recall that it was Idiagbon who was the action man of that regime. Idiagbon called the shots and it was him that lead the no nonsense anti corruption stand and War Against Indiscipline [WAI] when buhari was left to manage PTF without Idiagbon's support, corruption was the order of the day. If buhari can't fight corruption in a "tiny" PTF how can he fight it on a national scale?
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by kcjazz(m): 7:31pm On Feb 03, 2011
cold:

I have yet to hear of a Buhari presidential campaign donation fund.If you have,pray tell

Well now you know, EVERY ex- presidents receive stipends from the government. Say thank you for the new knowledge.
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by meine: 7:33pm On Feb 03, 2011
KunleOshob:

People keep giving Buhari undue credit for his anti corruption fight when he was in power, the truth is that those of us that are old enough to remember would recall that it was Idiagbon who was the action man of that regime. Idiagbon called the shots and it was him that lead the no nonsense anti corruption stand and War Against Indiscipline [WAI] when buhari was left to manage PTF without Idiagbon's support, corruption was the order of the day. If buhari can't fight corruption in a "tiny" PTF how can he fight it on a national scale?

My friend, Did Idiagbon placed himself on that seat?  NO, Did Buhari block the moves made by Idiagbon to flush out corruption?  NO
Remember that even though yar adua wasn't overtly corrupt, he hired a Michael Andoakaa who does all his dirty job for him.
Dont misplace issues here abeg, Buhari was a performer and he deserves the credit.

As per, PTF the achievements are there for all to see.
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by cold(m): 7:36pm On Feb 03, 2011
kcjazz:

Well now you know, EVERY ex- presidents receive stipends from the government. Say thank you for the new knowledge.
Stipends: A stipend is a form of salary, such as for an internship or apprenticeship. It is often distinct from a wage or a salary because it does not necessarily represent payment for work performed, instead it represents a payment that enables somebody to be exempt partly or wholly from waged or salaried employment in order to undertake a role that is normally unpaid (, or voluntary, or which cannot be measured in terms of a task

You seriously need to brush up on your knowledge.A little education is a dangerous thing
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Kobojunkie: 7:36pm On Feb 03, 2011
KunleOshob:

Please STOP that --- STOP!

Idiaghon could only do what he did because he had a partner who was willing to let him. That is what leaders, well at least the better ones do, they delegate that which they know they are not able to, to those under their management.
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by KunleOshob(m): 7:39pm On Feb 03, 2011
@meine
In case you don't know buhari came into power via a coup plot, Idiagbon was his partner in planning that coup so it wasn't like buhari appointed him. They were partners and Idiagbon was the clear dominant performing partner. Buhari was just a mumu figure head of state.
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Kobojunkie: 7:42pm On Feb 03, 2011
*** are you kidding me?? [size=13pt]ROFLMAO[/size]!!!
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Jarus(m): 7:51pm On Feb 03, 2011
His sources of income:
1, Ex-Head of state, earns monthly pay
2, Ex-service man, earns gratuity
3, As PTF boss, earned salary and allowances
4, He is a farmer, runs large scale cattle farm.

With his modest lifestyle, there is nothing to show he has lived above his legitimate means highlighted above.

Spent huge sum of money on campaign? No. Buhari doesn't need to spend 50kobo to pull one million crowd in any northern state, where his votes have always come and will still come from. That is the Buhari brand.
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by cold(m): 7:55pm On Feb 03, 2011
^^^what kinda parochial thinking is this; 'buhari does not need to spend 50kobo to pull crowds' ROFLMAO (apologies to kobo)
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Kobojunkie: 7:57pm On Feb 03, 2011
I don't think it is parochial . . . It is all too known that Buhari's campaign to date has been less extravagant than that of say his PDP counterparts. I think what he needs, or what I felt the ACN alliance(which has now been canned) would have provided him, is funding to help increase his exposure this time around.
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by kcjazz(m): 7:57pm On Feb 03, 2011
cold:

Stipends: A stipend is a form of salary, such as for an internship or apprenticeship. It is often distinct from a wage or a salary because it does not necessarily represent payment for work performed, instead it represents a payment that enables somebody to be exempt partly or wholly from waged or salaried employment in order to undertake a role that is normally unpaid (, or voluntary, or which cannot be measured in terms of a task

You seriously need to brush up on your knowledge.A little education is a dangerous thing

Are we dealing with semantics now? angry. He does nothing except being a past HOS. I think you answered it with that definition, thanks!
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by cold(m): 8:08pm On Feb 03, 2011
All our military heads of state were largely insensitive, corrupt, almost illiterate, self-appointed tyrants who seized their stripes of honour (dishonour is probably more appropriate) through coups rather than the rigours of formal training, experience or war. Each one of the military heads of state simply got up from bed one chosen morning, pistle on the hip, jackboots on the ready to besmear our constitution to loot our treasury to their hearts content. Of course, they soon made up on the job for their lack of proper war or soldiering experience by detaining, tear gassing, shooting and bombing citizens protesting against their high-handedness and misrule. Everyone of our coup Generals aspired to be the richest lazy fool in the world sitting like an over-fed baboon atop the tallest tree in our devastated and rotting vineyard, savouring their exploits amidst squalor, hunger and decaying corpses. General Muhammadu Buhari was one of such military head of state.

On the 31st December, 1983, Buhari struck, under the cover of the political commotion that trailed the Presidential election results of the time. In reality, power was seized for the opportunity to destroy documents relating to the NNPC's missing US$2.8 billion oil money, and punish all those involved in unraveling the scam. Politicians and critics, including Fela Anikulapo-Kuti, notorious for clamouring for the exposure of the oil money rogue Minister of Obasanjo's military epoch, were locked up without trial. Buhari's regime had a penchant for incarcerating all and sundry. Satire saved my neck at the time.

Not much is known about Buhari's family background. Not a great deal has been heard about his educational qualifications either. As head of state, he was a recluse to the core. At least, that was the image he portrayed. His deputy, the late Gen. Idiagbon, was considered by most Nigerians to be the star of Buhari's regime. It is to Idiagbon that any credit due to that regime is generally attributed. Idiagbon was the defacto head of state. He was honest, upright, disciplined, and like Murtala Muhammed before him, he succeeded briefly in introducing order and sanity to our lives.

Nigeria was already a failed state economically when Buhari seized government from Shagari in December 1983. We had a staggering foreign debt load of US$18 billion, so Buhari stopped all further borrowing, and in defiance of the IMF and World Bank, pegged the exchange rate of the naira at one to the US$1.50. He put a ceiling on the amount of foreign exchange earnings to be used in servicing foreign debts, and after sorting out and rejecting the dubious foreign debts in our portfolio, paid off nearly 50% of the genuine debts by the end of his regime in 1985.

Buhari's regime maintained a vibrant foreign policy with Africa as its principal focus, and it strongly resisted the IMF. The regime's fight against corruption is exemplified by the crating of Umaru Dikko to airfreight back to Nigeria from London.

Buhari generally had no agenda for leadership but vendetta against those he called critics and rabble-rousers. After consigning the vexatious matters that brought him to power, to administrative oblivion with the help of Shinkafi, his Secret Service guru, Buhari announced his readiness to quit office.

Idiagbon, as Buhari's lieutenant, naturally insisted on taking over as head of state from his apparently prematurely retiring boss. Babangida, who was Chief of Army Staff at the time and a member of the Supreme Military Council, insisted it was his turn to rule because he had been involved in virtually every military coup up to that time. The quarrel split the Supreme Military Council members almost equally behind the two principal combatants and eventually led to the overthrow of Buhari's regime.

Abacha rehabilitated Buhari with the chairmanship of the Petroleum Trust Fund (PTF) before he (Abacha) died in 1998. When Obasanjo returned to power in May 1999, he found that over 2.5 billion naira had not been properly accounted for in the PTF and that there was not much on the ground to show for the colossal expenditure the agency was claiming. On the day Obasanjo announced the scrapping of the PTF, a non-staff brother-in-law of Oga, allegedly serving as his conduit on some PTF projects, died suddenly from what appeared to be heart failure.

[b]Buhari has no respect for democracy. Under his behest, the ANPP humiliated five highly respected South-Eastern Presidential aspirants at their primary for the 2003 presidential election despite having Dr. Okadigbo as Buhari's running mate. Buhari definitely was not a sellable presidential candidate across Nigeria. What happened was that the incumbent ANPP governors needed a Buhari to help them hold on to their states on religious grounds. After rigging his party's primary to become its presidential candidate, Buhari felt he was on moral grounds to preach election morals to the world. He ignored the South-West completely in his campaigns, as if it did not exist, and offered the South-South, the unattractive, legally diminished constitutional option on derivation. To rob salt into injury, he threatened to swap NDDC with PTF. If he wasn't playing with words, he betrayed his selfish ethnic agenda because we all knew what happened in his PTF. The little he achieved was focused in his backyard.[/b]

Even in the area of public debate, Buhari was not articulate or detribalized and he lacked charisma. He ignored all entreaties to explain his programmes to the 'bloody civilians.' Arrogant and condescending, he was unable to climb down from his high horse as a former military dictator. Infused with the moribund myth that Nigerian leadership was the sole property of his ethnic group, he assumed he could cow the rest of us with a jihad. If that failed, some said, military coup was a possibility because a kaferi must not continue to rule. He concentrated his campaign (if it could be called that, because he said very little at every stop), in the North-East and North-West of the country. The little he said, was only in the Hausa language to titillate the warrior nerves of his jihadist gang.
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Kobojunkie: 8:11pm On Feb 03, 2011
^^^ How does the Opinion article above show how much or where Buhari's funds come from?  undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by cold(m): 8:16pm On Feb 03, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^^^ How does the Opinion article above show how much or where Buhari's funds come from?  undecided undecided undecided undecided
Did you even to read the article?It simply goes to show you all this talk about integrity is pure hogwash
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Kobojunkie: 8:23pm On Feb 03, 2011
cold:

Did you even to read the article?It simply goes to show you all this talk about integrity is pure hogwash

No it does not show any of such. It is clearly an opinion piece which at the end, you will need to investigate. But that is for another thread. Matter of fact, I think we have had so many threads on those already. I just wonder why bring that in on a thread that is about figuring our where Buhari gets his funds from.
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by cold(m): 8:25pm On Feb 03, 2011
Kobojunkie:

No it does not show any of such. It is clearly an opinion piece which at the end, you will need to investigate. But that is for another thread. Matter of fact, I think we have had so many threads on those already. I just wonder why bring that in on a thread that is about figuring our where Buhari gets his funds from.
Ok then you seem to know something we don't.So where does he get them (funds) & pls don't give me that cattle rearing line.It's old & tiring
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Feb 03, 2011
Buhari printed a lot of money and hid it on several warehouse both in Nigeria and Togo. He is one of the richest man in Africa. He's only pretending. You never can tell what these military president did or could do.
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by monkeyleg: 8:30pm On Feb 03, 2011
I dont know why you guys are bothering yourself with the Likes of Beaf - known political dead-enders.

Buhari has remained humble in everything he has done, and is likely to get my vote.

If Dog Beaf and co, are accusing him of $2.8 billion, Goodluck may as well tell us what has happend to the excess crude account. Drained in 9 months
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by cold(m): 8:36pm On Feb 03, 2011
Let us proceed from the premise that he has a clean bill of health corruption wise (which i vehemently disagree with) His extreme religious views completely rules him out of the equation.Even in Egypt with all the clamour for Mobarak to go,no one wants the Muslim Brotherhood to get to power cuz everyone and anyone with a brain the size of an apple understands what freedom is
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Kobojunkie: 8:40pm On Feb 03, 2011
cold:

Let us proceed from the premise that he has a clean bill of health corruption wise (which i vehemently disagree with) His extreme religious views completely rules him out of the equation.Even in Egypt with all the clamour for Mobarak to go,no one wants the Muslim Brotherhood to get to power cuz everyone and anyone with a brain the size of an apple understands what freedom is

So, having a Muslim as a President means Nigerian constitution will be changed, is that what you are hinting at?
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by adconline(m): 8:43pm On Feb 03, 2011
Buhari is another OBJ waiting to happen. He truncated  a democratically elected government. Was fingered in corruption.  Benefited from Abacha's corruption. He refused to appear before Justice Oputa panel and presidential debate, He comes off as a selfish person who wants to ascend to power at all costs. If he is this less corrupt and selfless, how come he  hasnt groomed leaders who  are like him? Yar'dua and Atiku are all products of Musa Yar'dua movement. Where is Buhari's political machinery that would restore Nigeria to normalcy as folks have claimed?
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by cold(m): 8:50pm On Feb 03, 2011
Kobojunkie:

So, having a Muslim as a President means Nigerian constitution will be changed, is that what you are hinting at?
You know & i know, & you know that i know that's not what i mean.There's a difference between a football fan & a football fanatic
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Kobojunkie: 8:51pm On Feb 03, 2011
Let me try this again . . .

So, having a Muslim fanatic as a President means Nigerian constitution will be changed, is that what you are hinting at?
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by cold(m): 9:01pm On Feb 03, 2011
^^^Let me answer that by asking you another question:Has Buhari ever condemned any of the religious crisis sprouting everywhere in the country & especially concentrated in the middle belt area of plateau state?Have you ever seen or heard that Buhari was mediatingin the crisis in a bid to douse the palpable tensions btw the two belligerent religious groups?
What does that say of his state of mind?
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Kobojunkie: 9:08pm On Feb 03, 2011
cold:

^^^Let me answer that by asking you another question:Has Buhari ever condemned any of the religious crisis sprouting everywhere in the country & especially concentrated in the middle belt area of plateau state?Have you ever seen or heard that Buhari was mediatingin the crisis in a bid to douse the palpable tensions btw the two belligerent religious groups?
What does that say of his state of mind?

I can honestly tell you that I have no clue how many times he has ever actually condemned any of the riots, neither have I any clue what his state of mind really is. I also have no record of him stating he is for the religious violence.
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by Nsiman(m): 9:11pm On Feb 03, 2011
Stop fooling urselves, stipens to ex rulers was just given a nod recently by NASS, where do buhari get earnings/income for consumption and campaign b4 NASS gave the nod? Some say from charity-meaning buhari is among the almajiris, others say from campaign appeal fund but i haven't heard him organise any fund raising in all his 4 time campaigns.
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by cold(m): 9:15pm On Feb 03, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I can honestly tell you that I have no clue how many times he has ever actually condemned any of the riots, neither have I any clue what his state of mind really is. I also have no record of him stating he is for the religious violence.
Ok, your honesty is noted.Methinks as an elder statesman running for the highest office in the land he should be in the forefront of trying to quell the perpetual religious strife in Plateau state & elsewhere.In any event i rest my case.
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by kcjazz(m): 9:23pm On Feb 03, 2011
Nsiman:

Stop fooling urselves, stipens to ex rulers was just given a nod recently by NASS, where do buhari get earnings/income for consumption and campaign b4 NASS gave the nod? Some say from charity-meaning buhari is among the almajiris, others say from campaign appeal fund but i haven't heard him organise any fund raising in all his 4 time campaigns.

I doubt it, I think they always get something by being members of the Council of State. Its a common practice until he dies. Maybe NA asked it to be increased or reviewed. But again there is Military gratuity which is not as disorganized as civilian pension scheme. And for a Major General,it should feed him.
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by johndoe200: 9:27pm On Feb 03, 2011
No one really knows how buhari makes his money or who funds his campaigns. It would not surprise me if he is funded by some outside Islamic people / organizations,
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by KunleOshob(m): 9:30pm On Feb 03, 2011
^^^
@kcjazz
It's not about him feeding its about how he can on a routine basis fund presidential campaign, election petition tribunal and even float his own party which requires substantial amounts of money.
Re: What Does Buhari Do For A Living? by TewMuch: 9:32pm On Feb 03, 2011
[size=16pt]WHAT DOES GEJ DO FOR A LIVING[/size]

Because at the moment i dont see the effect or evidence that Nigeria has a sitting president. I will very much like to know what GEJ does and his achievements so far. Let us take a look at corruption, Ogun speaker crisis and Jos Crisis.

The big question is:

Does Nigeria have a president

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Butchers Of Nigeria - Wole Soyinka / Lagos State APC HAS NOT Suspended Anybody! / EFCC Reveals How 'past Govts Spent N15b On Governors’ Security Aides’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.