Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,378 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:18 AM

Justification By Faith Vs Works! - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Justification By Faith Vs Works! (1875 Views)

Apostle Paul Vs James (faith Vs Work) What Did Jesus Really Teach? / Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith / Book Of Galatians (The "Righteous" Shall Live by Faith) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by MuttleyLaff: 8:32am On Jul 12, 2020
AntiChristian:
Bible says:
Romans 10:9
9That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Galatians 2:16,21
16 know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified....
21 I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!"

These verses contradict with these verses from the bible...

James 2:14
14 What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?

James 2:17
17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

James 2:24
24 You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.
As for Romans 10:9, "... believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead ..." is the faith and "... confess with your mouth ..." is the work while with Galatians 2:16,21, righteousness, is obtained from believing in Jesus Christ, as ordinarily observing the law, but without faith in Jesus Christ renders your purported work useless

James 2:14, is saying, faith by itself, without any demonstrated work, wouldn't save dilly squat. James 2:17, is complementing and merely re-echoing James 2:14, while James 2:24 is repeating the fact featured or mentioned in James 2:14 and James 2:17. There are no contradictions between the verses
Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by MuttleyLaff: 8:38am On Jul 12, 2020
helinues:
grin grin

You might need to shape the accumulation of facts/information stored in your subconscious mind...

They are feeble
You are very predictable.

I just knew you will come up with this reply and that you will avoid responding to all the questions posed and fired at you grin grin grin

You went cold turkey on all questions. The questions put the frightener on you grin grin grin
Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by helinues: 8:47am On Jul 12, 2020
MuttleyLaff:
You are very predictable.

I just knew you will come up with this reply and that you will avoid responding to all the questions posed and fired at you grin grin grin

You went cold turkey on all questions. The questions put the frightener on you grin grin grin

You shouldn't have expected me to list all what you asked, even though they are things visible....

But you may/will still request for proofs which I do not think is necessary/probably ready to do.. For what..

So back to the topic, belief is accumulation of information...

What you have as your beliefs are feeble hence questioning others
Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by AntiChristian: 8:59am On Jul 12, 2020
MuttleyLaff:
As for Romans 10:9, "... believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead ..." is the faith and "... confess with your mouth ..." is the work while with Galatians 2:16,21, righteousness, is obtained from believing in Jesus Christ, as ordinarily observing the law, but without faith in Jesus Christ renders your purported work useless

James 2:14, is saying, faith by itself, without any demonstrated work, wouldn't save dilly squat. James 2:17, is complementing and merely re-echoing James 2:14, while James 2:24 is repeating the fact featured or mentioned in James 2:14 and James 2:17. There are no contradictions between the verses

It seems you, Paul and James understand the concept of faith and works more than Jesus himself.
Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by MuttleyLaff: 9:02am On Jul 12, 2020
helinues:
You shouldn't have expected me to list all what you asked, even though they are things visible....
If there was any ounces of empathy and compassion in your depraved soul, you would have stepped up to the plate and proffered a lasting solution to the scourge and/or affliction of COVID-19, but you are of course all mouth and no trousers

helinues:
But you may/will still request for proofs which I do not think is necessary/probably ready to do.. For what..
The questions were too difficult and hard for you to respond to, so you have to resort to empty talk. Smh. Mtcheew

helinues:
So back to the topic, belief is accumulation of information...
This is a flawed and incomplete statement. You have proffered some information about yourself, that don't on face value alone, necessarily warrants believing in

helinues:
What you have as your beliefs are feeble hence questioning others
Your answers will show you up, and this makes you uncomfortable enough to not welcome questionings.
Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by MuttleyLaff: 9:08am On Jul 12, 2020
AntiChristian:
It seems you, Paul and James understand the concept of faith and works more than Jesus Himself.
"When Jesus heard this, He marveled and said to those following Him,
"Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith.
"
- Matthew 8:10

It seems you aren't familiar with the encounter, Jesus had with a certain Centurion and his very sick and about to die servant. You my dear loving Muslim brother always gets hold of the wrong end of the stick sha. Thank God you have me always ready to bail you out.

Apostles Paul, James and I learn from the best. We learn from Jesus Himself and what the Spirit of Truth teaches and/or shows us.
Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by helinues: 9:09am On Jul 12, 2020
MuttleyLaff:
If there was any ounces of empathy and compassion in your depraved soul, you would have stepped up to the plate and proffered a lasting solution to the scourge and/or affliction of COVID-19, but you are of course all mouth and no trousers

The questions were too difficult and hard for you to respond to, so you have to resort to empty talk. Smh. Mtcheew

This is a flawed and incomplete statement. You have proffered some information about yourself, that don't on face value alone, necessarily warrants believing in

Your answers will show you up, and this makes you uncomfortable enough to not welcome questionings.

If truly you really understand what Chakra is all about , then you have broken some many vital rules.

'You knew' - You dont use an assertive word on something you are not sure of.

Asking me to brag about myself on internet.

You questioning others unjustly just to prove unnecessary points.

If there was any ounces of empathy and compassion in your depraved soul

And finally, going emotional and personal about an healthy conversation...

What you think you have acquired as beliefs are not the right information....
Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by AntiChristian: 9:13am On Jul 12, 2020
MuttleyLaff:
"When Jesus heard this, He marveled and said to those following Him,
"Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith.
"
- Matthew 8:10

It seems you aren't familiar with the encounter, Jesus had with a certain Centurion and his very sick and about to die servant. You my dear loving Muslim brother always gets hold of the wrong end of the stick sha. Thank God you have me always ready to bail you out

So Jesus didn't knew she had such faith in her heart before! Jesus sure didn't know many things!
Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by delkuf(m): 9:17am On Jul 12, 2020
MuttleyLaff:
As I previously have said, I have read of a "moG", walking into a lion cage, believing no harm will befall him, but the lion inside the cage made a good dinner of him

I have read of a "moG", larking about with a poisonous snake, because he believed no harm would befall him but he got bitten and soon after died from the snake venom.

I have walked into a waiting room, saw a chair I thought I could comfortably sit on, only for it to collapse under my weight upon settling down in it.

Are you saying both these men were dishonest or insincere in their faith, hmm? Are you saying, my faith in the chair, that collapsed under my weight was not honest to start with?

You know in the world, there's is something called "calculated risk", when it comes to a God approved faith, there is something akin to that terminology. There are governing principles that makes faith be realistic. Optimism, too does help, it is a means to the end, optimism is an ingredient that facilitates realistic faith, it isn't the real deal nor the real McCoy.

Faith, is a gift from God. Faith is, God given. Faith, comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God or through a saying of God.
sorry muttlerlaff I didn't get what you said.
Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by MuttleyLaff: 9:27am On Jul 12, 2020
helinues:
If truly you really understand what Chakra is all about, then you have broken some many vital rules.
"Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God,
for many false prophets have gone out into the world.
"
- 1 John 4:1

The bible advises to test all spirit. Did you really think that you won't be subjected to scrutiny, hmm? Who does anything, like not doing that?

helinues:
'You knew' - Already reached a conclusion about something you are not sure of.
My knowing is as a result of one of the spiritual gift of the manifestation of the Holy Spirit

helinues:
Asking me to brag about myself on internet.
Please don't begin to try making up lies. You weren't asked to brag. You portrayed yourself to be "something up there" and knowing the state appalling state of the country, you were asked to give a modest list of the benefits to the country of you being "something up there"

People are dropping dead like as if flies, why cant you use your so called realistic faith to deal with COVID-19, but you are pushing the responsibility off to pastors' quarters

helinues:
You questioning others unjustly just to prove unnecessary points.
You put yourself in the position to be questioned. You were being questioned so to ascertain, check and confirm your alleged fruits

helinues:
And finally, going emotional and personal about an healthy conversation...
Please don't play the prima-donna behaviour and victim card with me

helinues:
What you think you have acquired as beliefs are not the right information....
So says the chakra sage. Should I say "om", at this juncture. Smh.
Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by MuttleyLaff: 9:29am On Jul 12, 2020
AntiChristian:
So Jesus didn't knew she had such faith in her heart before! Jesus sure didn't know many things!
What are you bleating about? Where is she in that narrative? What has a she, got to do in the narrative surrounding Matthew 8:10? Smh.
Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by MuttleyLaff: 9:31am On Jul 12, 2020
delkuf:
sorry muttlerlaff I didn't get what you said.
I said quite a lot of things, so what part specifically didnt you get? Besides the post you replied to, wasn't even posted to you
Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by Kobojunkie: 2:02pm On Jul 12, 2020
Finallydead:

You would have to be greatly misguided to believe Paul ever changed the Lord's teaching. Can you show a single instance of this?
This is why only the Spirit can help you understand the scripture not your carnal mind. (1Cor2:14). Your carnal mind would lead you into grave errors like this one.

Ichuka, you simply are justified by the works which faith alone can produce in a man and I think you already know this.
paul did not preach exactly as Jesus taught
Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by Finallydead: 2:10pm On Jul 12, 2020
Kobojunkie:
paul did not preach exactly as Jesus taught
A costly allegation from one who's still trying to find his way, don't you think?
Can you now point out exactly how Paul didn't rather than repeating the false allegation.
I'm 100% certain that we're about to find that only your lens creates the distortion.
Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by Kobojunkie: 2:26pm On Jul 12, 2020
Finallydead:

A costly allegation from one who's still trying to find his way, don't you think?
Can you now point out exactly how Paul didn't rather than repeating the false allegation.
I'm 100% certain that we're about to find that only your lens creates the distortion.
i never told you i am trying to find my way though. That you assumed that ,well, is all you.

Only my lens create the distortion? Start with what God said in jeremiah 17, what Jesus said, also verified by John the apostle, that Only God will teach His people everything. Compare that to what Paul did and what his suggestion that some of you are called to ministry of teaching .

This is just one of many things Paul supposedly did different from Jesus Christ's teaching.
Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by Finallydead: 3:57pm On Jul 12, 2020
Kobojunkie:
i never told you i am trying to find my way though. That you assumed that ,well, is all you.

Start with what God said in jeremiah 17, what Jesus said, also verified by John the apostle, that Only God will teach His people everything. Compare that to what Paul did and what his suggestion that some of you are called to ministry of teaching .

This is just one of many things Paul supposedly did different from Jesus Christ's teaching.
You believe God never intended to teach men through other men?
But it was also God who said (Jer 3:15 -16), bear in mind that was an endtime prophecy from the context and feeding clearly speaks of teaching knowledge.
It was the Lord Jesus that told Peter(John 21:15-17) and the disciples(Mat28:20). It was also the Lord who appointed the stewards to feed his people(Lk12:42-48). It was the Lord that gave gifts of men to the church to build them(Ps68:18, Eph4:8-15, Heb2:4). That's why the Lord didn't tell us to reject the servants but to test them by fruit(Mt7:15-17). You see that he acknowledges both those with good fruits and those with bad.
What do you think Peter meant when he said(1Pet5:1-4) and why do you think he gave approval of what Paul was doing(2Pet2:15-16) together with all the apostles in Jerusalem also approving Paul (Gal2:2)
Who do you expect the feed the lambs? They'll just fend for themselves. Not until someone nurtures them to the point of mastering the art of following the Spirit totally.
The same Paul even quoted Jeremiah in Heb8:11 and Heb10:16. So do you really think he didn't know that?

Get this understanding. We are headed to the point God spoke of through Jeremiah where we will all be mature enough to depend totally on the Spirit within us without any human contribution, which is Paul's point in (Eph4:13,15) but we will afford ourselves of the provision of the Spirit in men while at it which is where most are now(Eph4:12,14, Gal4:1-2) and this doesn't take away His place as we must only accept what men say if He agrees and reject it if He doesn't.
The safeguard God gives us is that we can verify what is being taught by the Holy Spirit within us so we are not misled by these men God appoints in case they slip.
But as long as 1.) what the men are teaching is in line with scriptures and 2.) towards helping you grow in your personal connection with the Spirit, and 3.) backed by genuine manifestations of the Holy Spirit, then you are still learning from the Spirit and towards sole dependence on Him.

Btw, why should you even be speaking to people about Jesus and trying to show them His ways if you think men don't have to teach God's ways to others?

You misunderstood John btw. John speaks of discerning the antichrists, not general doctrine lest he betrays himself by (1Jn1:1-4 and all his writings) and for the antichrists, you don't need necessarily need men to guide you, the Spirit will always deter you if you even know how to hear Him. Men can teach you that btw.

Only my lens create the distortion?
Yeah, just like I said before. Always the case if you ever see any contradiction in scripture.

I would then ask you how you have been following the Spirit and if you've been filled with the Holy Spirit/Baptism of the Spirit?
Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by Kobojunkie: 4:05pm On Jul 12, 2020
Finallydead, no need for a sermon. Focus on the issue at hand and be as straight to the point as you can.

The question here is simple. Did God lie when He said in Jeremiah 31 that only He will teach His people?
Did Jesus lie when He said that He alone will teach His followers?
Did Jesus lie when He assigned the job of teaching His followers all things when He is gone?

Did John the apostle lie when He said that the Spirit of God is meant to teach us every thing?

According to the law of 2 of 3 witnesses, we have three witnesses here who backup God's claim that He alone will teach His people about Himself.

Yet Paul supposedly taught, and suggested that there are those who are made teachers among us, a statement that stands against the word of God, and the commandment that is Jesus Christ.

Either Paul's letter lied or God lied. Do you believe God lied then? Or do you believe Paul was in error? Both of them cannot be telling the truth, obviously! undecided
Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by Finallydead: 4:31pm On Jul 12, 2020
Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by Kobojunkie: 4:41pm On Jul 12, 2020
Finallydead:

That's why you never answered hiwordxrys straight forward question. I gave you more than three witnesses that God installed men to teach including Father and the Lord Jesus Himself. You defiantly ignored them and rather called them a "sermon".

You are paying attention at all? So if you are able to in fact find three witnesses to dispute God's own claim, then what you are indeed saying is Paul didn't lie; God did? undecided

Do you realize that at all? undecided

Finallydead:

Then you go back to square one and ask about scriptures which I have already explained their sense. Spiritual babies always think God does either this or that, they don't know God sometimes can do both or neither just like you don't know that God can teach baby christians through men and when they're full grown and have learnt to follow Him, teach by Himself.
Spiritual babies? What Spiritual babies?

You mean that even though the very Spirit of God lives inside of a person, the Spirit of God is not to be trusted with teaching such a person at all, a mere man is needed to do that job ? Basically, you deem God incompetent as far as teaching His own?

Finallydead:

Now back at you. Did the Father, the Lord Jesus and the scriptures not say all I wrote up there? Then you have no excuse for your ignorance as long as those are true.
If you're too lazy to investigate the truth of all those scriptures, then you simply don't love the truth and only pretend to.

Sigh!

According to you, God lied and John the apostle only backed up God's lie in his letter to all believers. What can I say to that? What is there to add to that? undecided

It is obvious we indeed do not worship the same God because the God I do is the source of all Truth and He never lies.
Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by ichuka(m): 5:56pm On Jul 12, 2020
Verse 14 says, “What is the profit, my brothers, if anyone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?” What was James’s intention in writing these words? Who was he speaking to? He wrote these words because some were saying that they had faith but not works. If he did not stop these people, the church would have been greatly affected. Faith must be kept before God and not vainly boasted of before man. Faith must be accompanied by works. If anyone says he has faith and does not have works, that kind of faith cannot save him. The word save in the Scripture has several meanings. For example, Paul said, “For I know that for me this will turn out to salvation through your petition and the bountiful supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ” (Phil. 1:19). Was not Paul saved? “Salvation” in this verse does not refer to receiving eternal life by those who believe, but rather to Paul’s release from prison. In 2 Corinthians 1:10 Paul said, “Who has delivered us out of so great a death, and will deliver us; in whom we have hoped that He will also yet deliver us.” Some think that this refers (1) to the Lord’s death on the cross which delivered us from the punishment of our sins in the past, (2) to Christ in heaven as our Mediator delivering us from the authority of sin in the present, and (3) to His coming back again in the future to save our body. This is not what Paul meant. The salvation spoken of here refers to the Lord’s delivering the body from affliction. By reading the context, it is clear that affliction came to Paul’s company while they were in Asia. They were excessively burdened that they despaired even of living. Yet the Lord delivered them out of this situation. Paul believed that the Lord would deliver them out of their present and future affliction. James’s reference to the word save means to profit others in their environment. This is made clear by the following verses.

James 2:15 and 16 say, “If a brother or sister is without clothing and lacks daily food, and any one of you says to them, Go in peace, be warmed and filled, yet you do not give them the necessities of the body, what is the profit?” The “one” in these verses is one who vainly said that he had faith, yet he was not supplying food and clothing to the needy brothers and sisters. He vainly said to them, “Go in peace.” Being saved in these verses is not a matter of going to heaven in the future, but a matter of being physically warmed and fed in this age. James implied that it is not adequate just to talk and believe without also meeting the needs of the saints.

Verse 17 says, “So also faith, if it does not have works, is dead in itself.” This is James’s conclusion. He meant that if you believe that the brothers and sisters will be warmed and fed but do not give them the things they need, this kind of faith without works is not a living faith but dead. A living faith is believing in the heart that the loving God will not allow the brothers and sisters to be lacking in food or clothing and, at the same time, being enabled by this faith to supply the things they need.

Verse 18 says, “But someone will say, You have faith, and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works.” There is always someone to refute those who vainly say that they have faith. They will ask, “If you say that you have faith, how is your faith manifested? You only say this with your mouth. But when you encounter difficulties, you are not even willing to sacrifice a single hair for the sake of others. Where is your faith? You pretend to others that you believe, but you have no faith. If you have faith, why do you not give all that you have to the needy saints? They are naked with no clothes to wear, and they lack in daily food and drink. They do not even have anything to eat today. At least you still have clothing to wear and food to eat. Why do you not give all that you have to them? You say that you have faith, but what will you do to show us that you have faith? Your faith is only vain talking. Your faith is dead and not profitable to the needy ones at all. But I have works. My faith is proved by giving the brothers and sisters the things that are needful to them. I believe that God will not let us be short in food and clothing. And since the brothers and sisters are in need, I give all that I have to them. My works are according to my faith. My works are the evidence of my faith. I will show you my faith by my works. Even though you said that you have faith, where is the evidence of your faith? What are you going to do to show us your faith?”

Verse 19 says, “You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe and shudder.” The people of Israel believe there is one God and rightly so, but the devil also believes that there is one God, and yet he still remains a devil. James indicates that faith without works is like the devil who, even though he believes in God, is still the devil.

Verse 20 says, “But are you willing to know, O vain man, that faith without its works is useless?” Vain man is another name for those who vainly say they have faith. We can say that this kind of man actually has no faith. Those that supply others in a practical way can show their faith to others by their works. Thus, there is first faith, then works. Genuine faith must be accompanied by genuine works. The one who vainly says that he has faith, yet has no works, shows that his faith is dead. His heart before God is not proper, so his faith is dead.

1 Like

Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by ichuka(m): 6:01pm On Jul 12, 2020
Verse 21 says, “Was not Abraham our father justified by works in that he offered up Isaac his son upon the altar?” If James had not referred to this instance of Abraham, some might have considered that he was wrong, after reading the books of Romans and Galatians. Since Paul spoke of justification by faith, they might have assumed that just believing is enough and there is no need for any works. James meant that even though Abraham was no doubt justified by faith, he also was justified by works. James does not overthrow Abraham’s justification by faith; rather, he proves that Abraham’s faith was not without works because he offered up Isaac. Abraham’s works were the evidence of his faith. Abraham was not only justified by faith; he was also justified by works. Instead of overturning justification by faith, James actually strengthens it by using justification by works to prove what true faith is. Abraham’s offering up of Isaac on the altar was a work, and this work was reckoned to Abraham as righteousness. But what kind of work was it? It was a work of faith. “By faith Abraham, being tested, offered up Isaac; indeed he who gladly received the promises was offering up his only begotten, of whom it was said, ‘In Isaac shall your seed be called’; counting that God was able to raise men even from the dead, from which he also received him back in figure” (Heb. 11:17-19). In using the offering up of Isaac, James shows us that true faith must also have works. Abraham gladly received the promises of God; he believed in what God had told him: “In Isaac shall your seed be called” (v. 18). Eliezer was not the one, nor was Ishmael. Even if Sarah bore him another son, he would not have been the one either. Isaac alone was the heir of the inheritance and promises. God was testing Abraham to see how his heart was toward God and how real his faith was. God required him to offer up Isaac, the one appointed to be his heir, on the altar, even to be slain and burned. If Abraham truly loved God and was willing to offer up everything to Him and burn Isaac, how could God’s promise be fulfilled and accomplished? If he wanted to fulfill God’s promise, he could not comply with God’s request. According to man, these two are contradictory and cannot be reconciled. However, with a true and living faith these two are not contradictory; they are reconcilable. God made the promise, and God also required the offering. God can never contradict Himself. Between fulfilling the promise and offering Isaac, there is another way, the way of resurrection. “Counting that God was able to raise men even from the dead.” Abraham’s faith said, “Even though I slay Isaac and offer him as a burnt offering, I still believe Your promise, ‘In Isaac shall your seed be called,’ will be fulfilled because You will resurrect Isaac from the dead.” Thus, when he offered up Isaac, he went with a determined heart. He actually bound Isaac up, raised his knife, and was about to slay him. His heart toward God was absolute, without any reservation. His heart was firm and void of doubt in believing God. Then the angel of the Lord called to him and said, “Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him,” and he “received him back in figure.” Abraham’s willingness to offer up his only begotten son was a work of faith. This is justification by works.

James 2:22 says, “You see that faith worked together with his works, and by these works faith was perfected.” “You see” means that this verse is a continuation of the preceding verse. Because Abraham offered up Isaac on the altar and because this constituted his being justified by works, we can see that faith runs parallel to works. In other words, faith and works operate together. Abraham’s work was produced from his faith, “and by these works faith was perfected.” A faith that has not yet passed the test is undependable. By Abraham’s offering up of Isaac, his faith was proven and perfected.

Verse 23 says, “And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, ‘And Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him as righteousness’; and he was called the friend of God.” Abraham believed God, and his believing was reckoned unto him as righteousness. This is recorded in Genesis 15. What is the relationship between the events in Genesis 15 and the offering up of Isaac in Genesis 22? James says that the offering up of Isaac was justification by works. Why then does he refer to justification by faith in Genesis 15? James says, “And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, ‘And Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him as righteousness.’” Justification by works fulfills justification by faith. It seems that justification by faith is a prophecy, and justification by works is the fulfillment of that prophecy. One who has faith must also have works, because works demonstrate the reality of faith. Because of Abraham’s belief in God, God reckoned him as righteous and called him His friend. Consequently, Abraham had the work of offering up Isaac. By offering up Isaac, Abraham’s work became the fulfillment of his faith in God. In other words, Abraham’s offering up of Isaac demonstrated his faith in God.

James 2:24 says, “You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith only.” A man is not only justified by faith but also by works because Genesis 22 is the fulfillment of Genesis 15, because works are the evidence of faith, because faith without works is dead, and because faith is made perfect by works. We need to notice that James does not say that a man is justified by works and not by faith; rather, a man is justified by works and not just by faith. James meant that after being justified by faith, we need to prove and perfect what we have by our justification by works just as Abraham was justified by faith and then by works through God’s testing.

Verse 25 says, “And in like manner was not also Rahab the harlot justified by works in that she received the messengers and sent them out by a different way?” James first cited an excellent person such as Abraham, who was not only justified by faith but also by works. Then he cited a bad woman such as Rahab the harlot, who was also justified by works because she received the messengers and sent them out by a different way. What kind of work is this work? Hebrews 11:31 tells us, “By faith Rahab the harlot did not perish with those who were disobedient, since she had received the spies with peace.” This work is the work of faith. Faith and works are inseparable; they are two sides of one thing. What is called faith in Hebrews is called works in James. Works are the evidence of faith, whereas faith is the source of works. If one says he has faith yet does not have the works of faith, his faith is dead. Therefore, where there is justification by faith, there must also be justification by works.

James 2:26 says, “For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.” From James 2:14 onward, the relationship between faith and works is discussed. There is a kind of faith that is without works, vain, superficial, and dead. However, there is another kind of faith that has works and is living. Works prove and perfect faith. James used the cases of Abraham and Rahab as evidence to prove this point. Finally, he used one illustration: “For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.” A living faith must have works, because faith without works is dead just as the body without the spirit is dead.

1 Like

Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by ichuka(m): 6:04pm On Jul 12, 2020
Conclusion: is that Justification by works fulfills justification by faith!!
Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by Kobojunkie: 6:07pm On Jul 12, 2020
ichuka:
Based on what though? James's words? Doesn't justification that we seek come from God Himself? Shouldn't you also consult the very word out of God's mouth to be sure of this conclusion? undecided
Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jul 12, 2020
ichuka:
Romans4 says that Abraham was justified by faith, and James2 says He was justified by works. How do we explain these two kinds of justification?

Paul and James were talking about the same thing!

Abraham had faith that works, he left Ur without seeing anything better than that city before and began dwelling in tents just because a spirit asked him to do so.
This spirit promised him so many things and kept directing from place to place until Abraham got to a place that's not civilized not inhabited like where he's coming from. Abraham lived for 90 years before having his first child without even touching another woman not until his wife Sarah asked him to do so, Abraham was so loyal to his wife to the extent that he allowed her to send away the slave girl who is pregnant with his first son, Abraham obeyed this spirit when asked to go and sacrificed his only surviving son.

WHY?

Because Abraham believed (trusted) the spirit being that's speaking with him with all his earth so this spirit made Abraham the father all those who later believe in him!

So for having complete trust (Faith) in this spirit, it was counted for Abraham as works!

Later faithless people also disguise as if they're faithful, that's why James asked them "if you're claiming FAITH, what are the things you've done to prove that your FAITH in the same spirit is real? So if you're claiming that you have faith but there is no works to show for it like that of Abraham, then you're deceiving yourself, because such credulity you're referring to as faith is dead!" James 2:18-26

God bless you! smiley

1 Like

Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jul 12, 2020
ichuka:
Brother you are right, Faith is justified by works that is what James is saying, furthermore in Hebrews we see how the faith of the patriachs was shown through their works, as a Christian we are saved by Faith in Jesus and kept by Faith in Jesus but our faith is evidence through our works.
works can reveal the genuiness of Faith.

In other words faith is not by mouth but it is revealed by our obedience to him and this is our we continue to abide in Christ.

2 Likes

Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by OkCornel(m): 5:46am On Jul 13, 2020
Titus 1 v 15-16;

15 Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.

16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

1 Like

Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by OpenYourEyes1: 6:42am On Jul 13, 2020
ichuka:
Romans4 says that Abraham was justified by faith, and James2 says He was justified by works. How do we explain these two kinds of justification?

They are basically saying thesame thing.
Apostle Paul went further to teach how faithful believers should live their lives, which is in holiness.

Believing without obeying is false belief
Faith without works is false faith
Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by enthronedbyGod1: 12:10pm On Jul 13, 2020
OkCornel:
Titus 1 v 15-16;

15 Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.

16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

One of my favourite scriptures.
How are you doing?

Long time

1 Like

Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by OkCornel(m): 12:37pm On Jul 13, 2020
enthronedbyGod1:

One of my favourite scriptures.
How are you doing?

Long time

Very well bro, we bless God for His mercies.

How’ve you been? Happy to have you back! smiley
Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by enthronedbyGod1: 9:55pm On Jul 13, 2020
OkCornel:

Very well bro, we bless God for His mercies.
How’ve you been? Happy to have you back! smiley
I've been great. Thanks
Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by ichuka(m): 7:06am On Jul 14, 2020
OpenYourEyes1:

They are basically saying thesame thing.
Apostle Paul went further to teach how faithful believers should live their lives, which is in holiness.

Believing without obeying is false belief
Faith without works is false faith
good
Re: Justification By Faith Vs Works! by ichuka(m): 7:07am On Jul 14, 2020
solite3:
Brother you are right, Faith is justified by works that is what James is saying, furthermore in Hebrews we see how the faith of the patriachs was shown through their works, as a Christian we are saved by Faith in Jesus and kept by Faith in Jesus but our faith is evidence through our works.
works can reveal the genuiness of Faith.

In other words faith is not by mouth but it is revealed by our obedience to him and this is our we continue to abide in Christ.
on point bro

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

See The Verse In The Bible That Said God Has Strength Of "Unicorn" (WTF!) / Haters Of The Christian God / Church And Christian Promiscuity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.