Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,274 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:17 AM

Disciplinary: Many Reasons A Parent Would Beat A Child Back In The Days. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Disciplinary: Many Reasons A Parent Would Beat A Child Back In The Days. (242 Views)

Married Women Are Becoming Too Unfaithful. Bring Back The Days Of 'magun' / Coronavirus :As A Parent, Would You Allow Your Kids Return To School? / Quick Tips To Ease Your Child Back To School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Disciplinary: Many Reasons A Parent Would Beat A Child Back In The Days. by kalvoken(m): 9:36am On Jul 15, 2020
*Children of today don't even know that in our days you could be beaten for any of the following reasons:*

1. Crying after being beaten
2. Not crying after being beaten
3. Crying without being beaten
4. Standing where elders are seated
5. Sitting while elders are standing
6. Walking around aimlessly where elders are seated
7. Eating food prepared for visitors
8. Refusing to eat
9. Coming back home after sunset
10. Eating at the neighbour's home
11. Generally being too moody
12. Generally being too excited
13. Loosing a fight with your age mate(my mum would ask if you have eating for nothing)
14. Winning a fight with your age mate (she will still beat you for fighting)
15. Eating too slowly
16. Eating too quickly
17. Eating too much
18. Not finishing your food
19. Finishing your food and Scraping your plate
20. Eating and talking
21. Sleeping while the elders had already woken up
22. Looking at the visitors while they are eating
23. Stumbling and falling when walking
24. Looking at an elder eye ball to eye ball
25. When an elder talking to you and you blink
26. When an elder is talking to you and you stare and not blink
27. When you look at an elder through the corner of your eye
28. When your mates are playing street football and you join them
29. When your mates are playing and you don’t join them
30. When you don't wash your dish after eating
31. When you wash your dish improperly
32. When you almost break your dish
33. When you break your dish
34. When you bite your nails.
34.. When you don't bathe
35. When you bath too quickly
36. When you take too long to bathe
37. When you’re beaten in school for misbehaving
38. When a car almost knocks you down
39. When a car knocks you down and you don’t die!

Some of these reasons for beating a child may appear far-fetched today but they sure did happen and they were the norm that shaped the adults of today.

Kudos to African parents. We, the generation you almost killed with beating say .... THANK YOU ���

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Disciplinary: Many Reasons A Parent Would Beat A Child Back In The Days. by Kingdemi212019: 9:39am On Jul 15, 2020
Lol
Re: Disciplinary: Many Reasons A Parent Would Beat A Child Back In The Days. by budaatum: 9:52am On Jul 15, 2020
I must say, our parents were mentally ill, and hopefully, we their children have learnt from their illness!

Please indicate which of the reasons listed you'd beat your child for.

1 Like

Re: Disciplinary: Many Reasons A Parent Would Beat A Child Back In The Days. by kalvoken(m): 10:09am On Jul 15, 2020
budaatum:
I must say, our parents were mentally ill, and hopefully, we their children have learnt from their illness!

Please indicate which of the reasons listed you'd beat your child for.

Well your opinion matters to you also.

I hope you did watch the video clip where a nigerian boy destroyed his mother's kitchen, for whatever reasons he said the mum doesn't love him enough. I was just wondering, could anyone raised in Nigeria try such with his parents?

So, in as much as some parents over do it, that doesn't mean it's totally wrong.
Re: Disciplinary: Many Reasons A Parent Would Beat A Child Back In The Days. by budaatum: 10:19am On Jul 15, 2020
kalvoken:

Well your opinion matters to you also.

I hope you did watch the video clip where a nigerian boy destroyed his mother's kitchen, for whatever reasons he said the mum doesn't love him enough. I was just wondering, could anyone raised in Nigeria try such with his parents?

So, in as much as some parents over do it, that doesn't mean it's totally wrong.
Being beaten for most of the things you listed above show bad parenting, and I hope you see it as so wrong that you never beat your child for any of them.

I had to educate my own ma on the errors of her beating me, and she admitted the stress and pressure she was under at the time (five kids to feed, house, clothe and educate on 1970s ₦100 a month salary), stopped her thinking straight. It was like she was blaming me for us having to starve!

(1) (Reply)

Must Read: Couples Share Heart-wrenching Stories Of Their Infertility Struggles / Widowed Mother Of Three (3) Narrates Her Ordeal / Married Couples And Their Live-ins 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.