Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,605 members, 7,823,633 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:42 PM

#WTO-DG Selection Process Begins Today (Video) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / #WTO-DG Selection Process Begins Today (Video) (16038 Views)

WTO DG: Why Okonjo-Iweala May Not Win - Kayode Ogundamisi / WTO DG: Okonjo-Iweala, Myung-Hee React To WTO's Formal Announcement / WTO: General Council Agrees Guidelines For Final Stage Of DG Selection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: #WTO-DG Selection Process Begins Today (Video) by fergie001: 1:59pm On Jul 16, 2020

1 Like

Re: #WTO-DG Selection Process Begins Today (Video) by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jul 16, 2020
Texman21:
and if i may ask who are we negotiating with for a position that can be ours?

Wait and see or hear the failure of your dear sister Ngozi Okojo-WAHALA.....
Re: #WTO-DG Selection Process Begins Today (Video) by fergie001: 7:05pm On Jul 16, 2020

Re: #WTO-DG Selection Process Begins Today (Video) by fergie001: 7:06pm On Jul 16, 2020

Re: #WTO-DG Selection Process Begins Today (Video) by sirabbey(m): 11:34pm On Jul 16, 2020
Waoh so far so inspirational, educative and informative. All the 8 candidates has very intimidating resume befitting of the exalted position of DG of World Trade organisation with Dr. Kuri of Mexico leading the pack in terms of resume and experience but from their 30 minutes interaction with the members of the press, I present to you my objective scorecard.

Jesus Kuri (Mexico) 8/10
Ngozi Iweal (Nigeria) 7.5/10
Hamid Abdel (Egypt) 7.5/10
Tudor Ulianovchi (Moldova) 7/10
Yoo Myung-hee (S. Korea) 5/10
Amina Mohammed (Kenya) 9/10
Mohammad Maziad (Saudi) 6.5/10
Liam Fox (Britain) 7/10

Amina's perfomance was off the hook and she will definitely makes an effective and efficient DG of WTO even though I believe our own Ngozi is equally deserving of the the post. I will be back to update this score card when the remaining two candidates takes their turn.

I learnt from both Amina and Ngozi that they don't want the post simply because they are women but because they are competent and suitable for the post, infact they insuniate that they would consider it an insult to be considered by virtue of their gender rather than their competence. This is very instructive to feminist who think that gender should be considered above competence and suitability in order to balance whatever perceived gender inequality.

I look forward to getting to this level of interviewing for an international job, it is simply orgasmic grin grin grin

modified. If two candidates are to be chosen for the next round then it should be Amina and Kuri but if three person are chosen for the next round then maybe our dear Ngozi will proceed to the next round. The whole process is very interesting and WTO spokeman Keith has this calming and soothing voice that one would love to listen to for hours.
Re: #WTO-DG Selection Process Begins Today (Video) by fergie001: 11:16am On Jul 17, 2020

Re: #WTO-DG Selection Process Begins Today (Video) by fergie001: 2:45pm On Jul 17, 2020

Re: #WTO-DG Selection Process Begins Today (Video) by fergie001: 3:37pm On Jul 17, 2020
The eight candidates have all gone through a special session with the General Council and the Sessions with the Press.

September 07, 2020 officially ends the second phase and signals the commencement of the third phase.

The new DG is expected to officially be inaugurated on the 31st of December, 2020.
Re: #WTO-DG Selection Process Begins Today (Video) by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jul 17, 2020
sirabbey:
Waoh so far so inspirational, educating and informative. All the 8 candidates has very intimidating resume befitting of the exalted position of DG of World Trade organisation with Dr. Kuri of Mexico leading the pack in terms of resume and experience but from their 30 minutes interaction with the members of the press, I present to you my objective scorecard.

Jesus Kuri (Mexico) 8/10
Ngozi Iweal (Nigeria) 7.5/10
Hamid Abdel (Egypt) 7.5/10
Tudor Ulianovchi (Moldova) 7/10
Yoo Myung-hee (S. Korea) 5/10
Amina Mohammed (Kenya) 9/10

Amina's perfomance was off the hook and she will definitely makes an effective and efficient DG of WTO even though I believe our own Ngozi is equally deserving of the the post. I will be back to update this score card when the remaining two candidates takes their turn.

I learnt from both Amina and Ngozi that they don't want the post simply because they are women but because they are competent and suitable for the post, infact they insuniate that they would consider it an insult to be considered by virtue of their gender rather than their competence. This is very instructive to feminist who think that gender should be considered above competence and suitability in order to balance whatever perceived gender inequality.

I look forward to getting to this level of interviewing for an international job, it is simply orgasmic grin grin grin

The Egyptian Guy was too political in his response and he was too attacking in some of his Response especially when asked about the validity of candidacy of the other African candidates.

Amina was good and expressive also, but I feel NOI gave the most intellectual answers to questions asked.

It's going to be difficult for her to win as she's not an insider, and for an Organisation currently undergoing it's biggest challenges as WTO, they'd need someone from the inside to steady the ship and hit the ground running immediately.

1 Like

Re: #WTO-DG Selection Process Begins Today (Video) by sirabbey(m): 4:59pm On Jul 17, 2020
chuxyfranklin:

The Egyptian Guy was too political in his response and he was too attacking in some of his Response especially when asked about the validity of candidacy of the other African candidates.

Amina was good and expressive also, but I feel NOI gave the most intellectual answers to questions asked.

It's going to be difficult for her to win as she's not an insider, and for an Organisation currently undergoing it's biggest challenges as WTO, they'd need someone from the inside to steady the ship and hit the ground running immediately.

I agree, he was a bit too political and was almost discounting other African candidates in other to sell himself but that does not take away from the fact that he has been there since 1985 even before WTO started in 1990. He is a founding father of WTO and know so much about the workings of the organisation, he is also very brilliant but Amina dusted him and Ngozi in the way and manner she answered her questions and demostrated her capacity for the DG job.
Re: #WTO-DG Selection Process Begins Today (Video) by fergie001: 5:48pm On Jul 17, 2020
chuxyfranklin
Sirabbey....thanks for your submissions.

Just to add,
The WTO doesn't vote...but build by consensus.

In this first stage, all member States (164 of them) are told to pick 4 or 5 preferences, based on what they heard at the Special Session of the General Council which is private and precedes the Press Conference here (which technically counts for nothing).

The WTO as it stands today needs more of Political Acumen, especially to bring the US and China to the table.The US has almost paralysed the Institution because they see the WTO as it stands as anti-US or pro-China (as the Russians believe).

Personally, I don't see Mamdouh, because he really hasn't been (in-charge) of any multi-lateral organisation neither has he been a Minister in his home Country. Moreover, his wobbling and whining about been AU's consensus candidate gives him away as someone who will be antagonistic on differing opinions. Whilst Amina & NOI had seen other candidates as meritorious, he is seeing them as renegades.

I don't think the S.Korean-Japan conflict will help Myung-Hee's cause too much. She has done very well however, in her role as Trade Minister.
Honestly, I don't see her in reckoning.

Ulianovschi & Al-tuwaijri don't pass off to me as those who have the political muscle to steer through consensus at the WTO. Tudor has extensive experience but the WTO needs someone in charge.
Al-tuwaijri is a good and shrewd banker but this is the WTO and not a Royal Court business.

Fox's candidacy is even funny to most people in Britain who have questioned whilst an alleged disgraced Minister should be in the reckoning in the first place. He is a brexiter and the EU will shoot down his candidacy before it gets started.

THE TOP 3 for ME;
Amina Mohammed checks all the boxes in terms of trade. She has headed the Ministerial Conference (the highest decision-making body of the WTO). But I wouldn't be surprised if she loses again, she lost to the incumbent Azevedo 7 years ago.
This is the 3rd time she will be pushed forward for a World job. Kenya's approach might be funny owing that another Kenyan is in-charge of UNCTAD.
UNCTAD, is an organisation under the UN Secretariat. The United Nations Conference for Trade and Development is also headquartered in Geneva. How is Kenya's global politics able to convince world bodies that they can handle the trade business?
.....but she is good.

NOI needs no introduction. The factor will be Nigeria's politics and how they play it. They need the "big brother" role now ever than before.
Her biggest impediment will be that she is totally an outsider at the WTO.

Kuri Seade is the candidate to beat. Founding Deputy Director-General
Speaks the three official languages of the WTO
A Professorial Chair in about 5 Institutions scattered around the globe.
Presently, USMCA....
Chief Negotiator, for about 16 developing countries whilst NOI was rescuing Nigeria from debts.
His continent (Latin America) like Africa is the only Continent yet to produce a DG, though many will argue that the outgoing DG is from Brazil (South America)

If the WTO can find a fault with him....its his age. He will be 74 by Dec.

4 or 5 will be dropped next month.
These are my personal submissions, I wish NOI well nonetheless.

2 Likes

Re: #WTO-DG Selection Process Begins Today (Video) by sirabbey(m): 6:36pm On Jul 17, 2020
fergie001:
chuxyfranklin

Thanks fergie for your insightful analysis. It is interesting that despite using different yardstick our top 3 candidates are the same Amina, Kuri and Ngozi May the best man/woman win.

1 Like

Re: #WTO-DG Selection Process Begins Today (Video) by fergie001: 6:40pm On Jul 17, 2020
sirabbey:

Thanks fergie for your insightful analysis. It is interesting that despite using different yardstick our top 3 candidates are the same Amina, Kuri and Ngozi May the best man/woman win.
Spot on....Thank You Sir.
Re: #WTO-DG Selection Process Begins Today (Video) by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jul 17, 2020
fergie001:
chuxyfranklin

Very insightful breakdown.

Many thanks to you too.
Re: #WTO-DG Selection Process Begins Today (Video) by fergie001: 8:11pm On Jul 17, 2020
chuxyfranklin:

Very insightful breakdown.

Many thanks to you too.
Always welcome Sir.
Re: #WTO-DG Selection Process Begins Today (Video) by Lamasta(m): 1:26pm On Apr 10, 2021
ok
Re: #WTO-DG Selection Process Begins Today (Video) by Byke60(m): 11:51am On Apr 20, 2021
Biko na e use mmiri ikpu...for my Igbo brothers and sisters, grin
Re: #WTO-DG Selection Process Begins Today (Video) by fergie001: 7:15pm On May 04, 2021

Re: #WTO-DG Selection Process Begins Today (Video) by bigtt76(f): 9:59pm On Aug 15, 2021
Their country.... their circus cheesy

fergie001:
The WTO-DG selection process commenced today at its Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland.

Eight candidates are in the race to replace outgoing DG, Azevedo, who resigned in May this year, about one year, before the expiration of his second tenure.
See Bio:
https://www.nairaland.com/5979465/wto-candidates-dg-position

The WTO is in its deepest crisis ever, occasioned by the recession following the COVID-19 pandemic, the trade tensions between the US & China, amid growing protectionism.

The process as reeled out by the Chair of the General Council, Walker, will be in three phases....the first been a 15-min presentation before the Special General Council (involving its 164 members), followed by a 30minute Q & A from the press.

https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/dg_e/dg_selection_process_e.htm

https://www.wto.org/english/res_e/webcas_e/pc_dg_selection2020_e.htm
Re: #WTO-DG Selection Process Begins Today (Video) by bigtt76(f): 10:04pm On Aug 15, 2021
Ok

fergie001:
The WTO-DG selection process commenced today at its Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland.

Eight candidates are in the race to replace outgoing DG, Azevedo, who resigned in May this year, about one year, before the expiration of his second tenure.
See Bio:

The WTO is in its deepest crisis ever, occasioned by the recession following the COVID-19 pandemic, the trade tensions between the US & China, amid growing protectionism.

The process as reeled out by the Chair of the General Council, Walker, will be in three phases....the first been a 15-min presentation before the Special General Council (involving its 164 members), followed by a 30minute Q & A from the press.

Re: #WTO-DG Selection Process Begins Today (Video) by Cmanforall: 5:52pm On Mar 25, 2022
fergie001:

See Bio:

YDP?

I thought they produced a Senator (Uba)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Abdullahi Sule: 2023 Is Between PDP & APC; LP/NNPP Don't Have National Spread / How Old Is Nigeria? 99 Or 53? / Dwindling Revenue: FG, States, Lgs Share N422.6bn August Allocation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.