Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,220 members, 7,825,834 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? - Career (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? (27386 Views)

Is Medicine And Surgery As Lucrative As It Seems / Chartered Accountancy Vs Legal Profession: Which One Is More Lucrative? / How Lucrative Is The Legal Profession? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Tajbol4splend(m): 10:33pm On Jul 18, 2020
RTSC:

A lawyer's job is not to get justice but to represent his or her clients to the best of her abilities even if it means bending the facts to suit him.

That is what makes a good lawyer.

It's the job of the govt to get justice.

How does government come in here, they don't preside on court cases, do they?
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jul 18, 2020
Vianna:
In my opinion, I think it's no longer as lucrative as it used to be and it's a very sorry situation. A lot of lawyers roaming the streets, they are suffering. Some of the many problems are

1. Too many graduates, little job slots

2. Senior colleagues are not ready to give the younger ones a chance

Most lawyers are "charge and bail" . They roam the streets and advertise their services to potential clients and they don't even have a place to call office. Many of them loiter in court premises all day under the hot sun and await the arrival of the police, hoping that the police would bring some accused persons who do not have lawyers to defend them. The moment this happens, the lawyer would approach the accused (usually agberos, louts and unfortunate Nigerians who the police had decided to transfer his frustrations on. ) and offer his service either directly to the accused persons, or through his relatives or friends who followed him to court. After a certain meagre fee is paid. The lawyer will appear before the magistrate and orally apply for bail, which in most cases would be granted if the offence(s) is a bailable one.

Being a lawyer in today's Nigeria is overrated, studying in school for 5 years to become a lawyer is a waste of time. To me it's more meaningful if used as a part time job while you venture into business or entrepreneurship.

Which business or entrepreneurship are you talking about ?

Nah we carry entrepreneurship for head, Eno dey work again.
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Thazard(m): 10:49pm On Jul 18, 2020
Etinosa1234:
OP...are u a lawyer/Law student...

I'm a Law student and I have few years b4 I graduate but as of recent..I've been discouraged abt the course...The course is great alright but it's not in demand and I'm not ready to spend 5yrs and spending more than 300k in law school and get paid 20k a month.. So I'm learning a skill that will make way for me...
One reason that made me give up on the law profession is the fact that Law schools in Nigeria are churning out thousands of Lawyers in a country that has legal apathy. They'll prefer to "leave the matter to God" than to fight it in court hence depreciating the demand for lawyers
Another thing is that it's very competitive.... from what I've heard ..it takes a while to get to top of the ladder in the legal profession..abeg..I wan make my Papa quick enjoy the fruits of his labour
And the third reason I gave up was that my roommates in the hostel don dey call me charge and bail grin. I don dey reject am..So a whole me..A Law graduate that spent 6 years in school will be hanging around the court and be shouting "Bros u get case"
I've already decided that I'll just get the cert for people to know that I'm a graduate..

Simply my opinion...Don't disturb me

lol
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by SmartPolician: 10:55pm On Jul 18, 2020
Tajbol4splend:
Today's lawyers are liars, it's now solely about the money, they no longer give a fvck about justice as long as the money keeps coming

Lawyers have always been pathological liars
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by earnit3: 11:22pm On Jul 18, 2020
no
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by elyonchee(f): 11:38pm On Jul 18, 2020
Vianna:
In my opinion, I think it's no longer as lucrative as it used to be and it's a very sorry situation. A lot of lawyers roaming the streets, they are suffering. Some of the many problems are

Most lawyers are "charge and bail" . They roam the streets and advertise their services to potential clients and they don't even have a place to call office. Many of them loiter in court premises all day under the hot sun and await the arrival of the police, hoping that the police would bring some accused persons who do not have lawyers to defend them. The moment this happens, the lawyer would approach the accused (usually agberos, louts and unfortunate Nigerians who the police had decided to transfer his frustrations on. ) and offer his service either directly to the accused persons, or through his relatives or friends who followed him to court. After a certain meagre fee is paid. The lawyer will appear before the magistrate and orally apply for bail, which in most cases would be granted if the offence(s) is a bailable one.

Being a lawyer in today's Nigeria is overrated, studying in school for 5 years to become a lawyer is a waste of time. To me it's more meaningful if used as a part time job while you venture into business or entrepreneurship.
i am not charge and bail oo. Carve a niche under the legal profession and watch clients that need your services come to you. Don't wait for senior lawyers to employ you. Have a passion and interest. I am a business lawyer and i carved my niche covers incorporation and Regulatory compliance

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by streamsofjoy(f): 11:39pm On Jul 18, 2020
Kaeboy:
I have plenty of lawyers around me and i will tell you spending such years and money to be a lawyer is not worth it. I'm earning far above most of them and I studied a 4 yrs course in administrative field.

My dear, you are just lucky cos if a law graduate has the same opportunity you have, they definitely will earn more than you. It just boils down to the point of connection in Naija

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Kay17: 11:44pm On Jul 18, 2020
gunners160:
Truth be told, a lot of those gibberish courses we studied in school back then are no longer needed again and not just law profession.
I think it is high time Nigeria change her curriculum and focus more on science related courses

Sociology, psychology, business admin, criminology, political science etc no get use

It is dangerous to think that these courses are outdated when they are even more crucial. The problem I see is that they are underdeveloped fields.
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Timblaze(m): 11:45pm On Jul 18, 2020
Etinosa1234:
OP...are u a lawyer/Law student...

I'm a Law student and I have few years b4 I graduate but as of recent..I've been discouraged abt the course...The course is great alright but it's not in demand and I'm not ready to spend 5yrs and spending more than 300k in law school and get paid 20k a month.. So I'm learning a skill that will make way for me...
One reason that made me give up on the law profession is the fact that Law schools in Nigeria are churning out thousands of Lawyers in a country that has legal apathy. They'll prefer to "leave the matter to God" than to fight it in court hence depreciating the demand for lawyers
Another thing is that it's very competitive.... from what I've heard ..it takes a while to get to top of the ladder in the legal profession..abeg..I wan make my Papa quick enjoy the fruits of his labour
And the third reason I gave up was that my roommates in the hostel don dey call me charge and bail grin. I don dey reject am..So a whole me..A Law graduate that spent 6 years in school will be hanging around the court and be shouting "Bros u get case"
I've already decided that I'll just get the cert for people to know that I'm a graduate..

Simply my opinion...Don't disturb me

This got me "One reason that made me give up on the law profession is the fact that Law schools in Nigeria are churning out thousands of Lawyers in a country that has legal apathy. They'll prefer to "leave the matter to God" than to fight it in court hence depreciating the demand for lawyers"
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Etinosa1234: 12:11am On Jul 19, 2020
Ablemax:

please what skill are currently learning now
programming
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by laykman(m): 12:20am On Jul 19, 2020
Vianna:

You probably mean to say here in Nigeria. When you have someone like Tanko heading the judiciary arm, law won't thrive. Remember, Osinbajo and Tanko are lawyers o�
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Etinosa1234: 12:22am On Jul 19, 2020
elyonchee:
i am not charge and bail oo. Carve a niche under the legal profession and watch clients that need your services come to you. Don't wait for senior lawyers to employ you. Have a passion and interest. I am a business lawyer and i carved my niche covers incorporation and Regulatory compliance

I'm planning to enter Cyber Law...is it developed in Nigeria?
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Ebylaws(m): 12:55am On Jul 19, 2020
don't discourage younger ones from studying or practicing law, the legal practition is still lucrative.
The problems and challenges facing the profession is from the state of the country, the economy is bad as well as the system.

If you check very well you will still see many lawyers that are doing very well, some are billionaires.
law is a profession that gives you an edge, you have many opportunities, you can start work immediately you are called to the bar unlike some courses that you may end up staying 10 years at home without a job.

I'm a lawyer, with specialization in Aviation law, Business law, Legislative drafting and Real Estate.

The problem we have with some lawyers is that they depend solely on litigation which may not give them the money, there are many areas that are untapped in the legal profession that young lawyers should venture into such as Entertainment law, Intellectual property, block chain law, IT law, etc.

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Ebylaws(m): 1:14am On Jul 19, 2020
don't discourage younger ones from studying or practicing law, the legal practition is still lucrative.

The problems and challenges facing the profession is from the state of the country, the economy is bad as well as the system.
check other profession including medicine and surgery, the same problem applies there, that is why many of them travel out of the country to developed countries.

If you check very well you will still see many lawyers that are doing very well, some are billionaires.
law is a profession that gives you an edge, you have many opportunities, you can start work immediately you are called to the bar unlike some courses that you may end up staying 10 years at home without a job.

I'm a lawyer, with specialization in Aviation law, Business law, Legislative drafting and Real Estate.

The problem we have with some lawyers is that they depend solely on litigation which may not give them the money, there are many areas that are untapped in the legal profession that young lawyers should venture into such as Entertainment law, Intellectual property, block chain law, IT law, etc.
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by MiddleDimension: 2:14am On Jul 19, 2020
Goddys:

Please don't lecture me on spirituality. I never said the esoteric organizations are evil. Probably you need to re-read my post. I am not fit to judge on what is good and bad since both are aspect of existence.

Some lawyers and judges join because of the level of personalities in it. There's no way you roll with such personalities without getting contracts and connections. I was merely hinting on the social power of esoteric organizations like ROF etc, and one must have attained some level of comfort to qualify as a member

i know you are not saying they are bad. i was just using this to clear a widely held misconception. and no, there are people there who do not get contracts and 'connections'. you probably need to come among them to know people in there can be ordinary people like you and i. i have seen this with my eyes! majority of people in AMORC do not have a car. there are better cars in winners on sundays than you will find in a masonic or rosicrucian lodge. no level if comfort needed. their buildings are not even breath taking
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by maxibrainz02(m): 3:01am On Jul 19, 2020
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by drehdinho(m): 3:02am On Jul 19, 2020
Omonigeriarere:

Honestly, a lot of people are ignorant about this topic. Lawyers that I know are living large, and I could have gone farther in life if my dream of becoming a lawyer came to fruition.

Meanwhile, I am a Chartered Secretary with specialization in regulatory and compliance matters. My dream of becoming a lawyer is still active but lack of time constitutes an obstacle.

Are there ways through which someone can earn law degree without quitting his job in Nigeria? I will be pleased if you can shed light on this.

Yes, but it depends on how time consuming your job is. You can study law and work on the side.
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by drehdinho(m): 3:04am On Jul 19, 2020
Etinosa1234:

u earn thru coding?

Not through coding yet. I'm still more on the learning phase at the moment. But I earn through other ways.
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Philosopher1979: 5:47am On Jul 19, 2020
gunners160:
Truth be told, a lot of those gibberish courses we studied in school back then are no longer needed again and not just law profession.
I think it is high time Nigeria change her curriculum and focus more on science related courses

Sociology, psychology, business admin, criminology, political science etc no get use

Psychology is badly needed with the way people are commiting suicide, rapping children and engaging in all manner of abnormal behaviour. Criminology is needed with the rate of crime in society. There is just something fundamentally wrong with our approach to education.

Even with science education we need technical and practical training and not just theory. A lot of people who studied computer science in school cannot do anything with a computer.

No course is useless. It depends on how you apply the knowledge. Our approach to education needs to be restructured

2 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Philosopher1979: 6:19am On Jul 19, 2020
gunners160:

Bros can you pls stop deceiving urself? How does psychology fit into Nigeria situation. Practical a lot of people hardly make use of psychologist instead they prefer making use of pastors. Furthermore if u understand rational emotive therapy u will understand that psychological in this country most people belief their problem is being caused by some one else and would not never take responsibilities for their mistakes

Nigeria is evolving to a state where we will need psychologists everyday. Just figure out a way to use it. You can show an advertising firm how your knowledge of psychology will be useful for them
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by romenna: 7:10am On Jul 19, 2020
No be lie.
All the law graduates around that I know are now tailors
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Simpubozz(m): 7:23am On Jul 19, 2020
kizyalex10:
i wanted to study law then and i was denied and i had to study something else,right now i thank God for nt making me study it,too many hype nd yet so little to show for it,even ur helpers go think say u don make am....while u cant even change ur regalia nd wig,the sole of their shoes are bending like a diety
Haba bro, put some respect na grin grin grin
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Cantonese: 7:34am On Jul 19, 2020
The problem has to do with this "get rich quick syndrome". The big lawyers took a lot of time to get to their present positions. Keyamo, Oyetibo and others worked in law chambers where they learnt more about the profession and how to succeed.

I went to a court once when a judge gave a young lawyer a very serious dressing down. The young man did not know how to present his case and the judge warned him never to appear before his court without his principal. That was many years ago.

The same goes for other professions including medicine, where a lot of doctors have certificates, yet they are empty. My wife met a doctor who attending to her using google as her guide to diagnose an ailment. My wife was livid when the lady could not on her own talk about an ailment she was trained in school to deal with.

In our society today our youths just want to do get to the wealthy top in the fastest way possible without work. It is truly tragic. The very hard working ones are innovative, creative and take their time to achieve. They strive for stability first and are easy to learn.
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Flows001(m): 7:42am On Jul 19, 2020
Y'all spewing trash about the Legal Profession, have you encountered a successful Lawyer before? You will fall in love with the profession a million times if you ever meet one. It's the Nigerian factor and it applies not only to the Legal Profession but to all Profession and fields, not everybody makes it big. Don't forget that Law is a private practice and it's just like business where some succeed and others don't, don't forget also that Lawyers are graduates like every other graduate but their qualification places them above others, they can work anywhere and under any Sector. The ones struggling re the ones into private practice who haven't made a name for themselves but don't conclude about any "wretched" Lawyer you see out there, a single hit can surpass the live earnings of many workers. Rome wasn't built in a day, life na small small.
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by audiigee(m): 7:56am On Jul 19, 2020
TheExclusive:
Lawyers are not restricted to the court only. Most companies have a legal dept that requires lawyers. Also, the audits firms have tax units where lawyers can fit in and grow a career.

PS: lecturing jobs are also there. You can pursue your career up to PhD level join any of the universities home or abroad
They talk abt law profession as if they know it all. Let them go into the books of multinationals and see what lawyers in corporate affairs earn. I know of a Layer who bought three cars from one sale. What is affecting this country is lack of planning by our leaders and this cut across all professions. The population of the country has outgrown the available resources.

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by kizyalex10(m): 8:24am On Jul 19, 2020
Simpubozz:
Haba bro, put some respect na grin grin grin
lolz
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Etinosa1234: 8:40am On Jul 19, 2020
drehdinho:

Not through coding yet. I'm still more on the learning phase at the moment. But I earn through other ways.
ohh...pls how long have u been learning...and which language
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Alphaman007: 8:48am On Jul 19, 2020
gunners160:

Bros can you pls stop deceiving urself? How does psychology fit into Nigeria situation. Practical a lot of people hardly make use of psychologist instead they prefer making use of pastors. Furthermore if u understand rational emotive therapy u will understand that psychological in this country most people belief their problem is being caused by some one else and would not never take responsibilities for their mistakes
Na.. You're basing your argument on assumptions. Psychology is applied everywhere not only in the clinical settings. Even clinical psychology is becoming more sought after. I know Nigeria is a country where people don't know much about psychology but trust me. There are opportunities you just need to find it. You can't sit down and be saying everyone takes their problems to pastors. There are so many uses of psychology beyond clinical psychology. I studied psychology too
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by gunners160(m): 9:06am On Jul 19, 2020
Alphaman007:

Na.. You're basing your argument on assumptions. Psychology is applied everywhere not only in the clinical settings. Even clinical psychology is becoming more sought after. I know Nigeria is a country where people don't know much about psychology but trust me. There are opportunities you just need to find it. You can't sit down and be saying everyone takes their problems to pastors. There are so many uses of psychology beyond clinical psychology. I studied psychology too
can we please forget all what we you are being told in school and focus more on the reality on ground. let's forget the pride attached to being called a " Psychologist" and focus more on reality.
How many psychologist are actually into practice?
Furthermore, how many Nigerians are even aware of the services they offer? Just as I say, in advance countries; they engage psychologist in fact they are seen as doctors who can proffer solutions but hell no!! not in Nigeria.

just as I afromentioned using (RET) by Albert Ellis, all the 11 irrational belief are so fucking present in Nigeria so nobody cares. Child Psychology, Clinical Psychology, Individual Psychology etc no get use.
To buttress my point, are u into wat u actually studied in school? in fact how many of ur mates are even close to practicing wat they studied?
I graduated 6 years ago , no b today oo so I knw wat I am saying
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Omonigeriarere: 9:17am On Jul 19, 2020
drehdinho:

Yes, but it depends on how time consuming your job is. You can study law and work on the side.

I am into full time job in Nigeria; how is that possible?
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by viceb: 10:57am On Jul 19, 2020
Buhari2023:
For wia

na charge and bail full now o

i was shocked i saw a job vacancy for lawyers with a salary of 30k sad

Well still on still sha
if you have any job for Barr. CIROMA CHUKWUMA ADEKUNLE please he is readily available grin

Yes the WAEC guy he turned out to be a charge and bail lawyer
You want to kill person with laugh.......... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Snakedoctor1: 11:08am On Jul 19, 2020
Maj196:
Law is overrated lipsrsealed
Everything in Nigeria is overrated grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Where Can Someone With Bsc. Statistics Work? / Airport Guards Who Returned Bag Of Dollars, Finally Honoured. Photos / 76-Year-Old Borno Civil Sevant Who Still Collects N675 As Pension (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.