Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,473 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:40 PM

Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? - Career (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? (27311 Views)

Is Medicine And Surgery As Lucrative As It Seems / Chartered Accountancy Vs Legal Profession: Which One Is More Lucrative? / How Lucrative Is The Legal Profession? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by kiddkash(m): 7:49pm On Jul 18, 2020
Buhari2023:
For wia

na charge and bail full now o

i was shocked i saw a job vacancy for lawyers with a salary of 30k sad

Well still on still sha
if you have any job for Barr. CIROMA CHUKWUMA ADEKUNLE please he is readily available grin

Yes the WAEC guy he turned out to be a charge and bail lawyer
why people go wait for law/lawyers when OGUN dey very active

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by kiddkash(m): 7:50pm On Jul 18, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
Na all profession for the country my dear

After training and stress to get the qualifications
Still nothing to show for it

Imagine i go see one lawyer the other day concerning how he is going to help me write an agreement of a land i purchased with an approval permit

The lawyer even dey beg me make i pay twenty thousand Naira......
I was shocked.... within me i was like this amount nor too small
Trust Nigerians na..even when i know say the amount small
Still i was telling him am going to pay 15,000 naira
And funny enough he still accept last last...

I understand you brother.. them don already get the agreement for system na for them to edit the agreement and sign....but them dey also keep the draft copy of the agreement after signing....one for the transferor, the transferee and the lawyer.. probably incase of dispute and wahalar
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by poiunt: 7:50pm On Jul 18, 2020
vickydevoka:

Saga na strong man na. Person way spend 12 years b4 him fit get nysc certificate. He jst graduated 2005 from estate management. After wasting some years pursing medicine n surgery

Which strong??

He is just using his twitter base to make noise

If you have large following on social media, anything you write down, people will believe

2 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by kiddkash(m): 7:50pm On Jul 18, 2020
ideabuilder:
Every profession has the rich and the poor. Depends on luck and how well you make use of little opportunity that come across you.
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Gamesmart: 7:50pm On Jul 18, 2020
ethicallyright:

You've simply taken the simple way out by employing argumentum ad hominem. Attack my points.

I said there's no good law , but a moral or immoral law . If you have an idea of legal jurisprudence, you should understand my "gibberish".

You are just trying to show me what our law professor taught you in one of your law lectures to show he is philosophical.

Secondly I said "good philosophy", if you have that then you will not need to be changing your laws.
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by kiddkash(m): 7:51pm On Jul 18, 2020
Farki:
Go into property or corporate law, that's where you will find money.

Not everything must be court this court that.
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by kiddkash(m): 7:51pm On Jul 18, 2020
opalu:
Legal profession is very lucrative. But I think the criminal justice system as a whole needs a total overhaul to come to terms with today's realities. How can u use laws used for 1980s crimes to tackle 2020 crimes? How can that work?
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by kiddkash(m): 7:52pm On Jul 18, 2020
Hoodgod:
i believe atomic bomb can attest to this...the legal profession is garbage in naija
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jul 18, 2020
MrEgghead:
Human want is insatiable...On the average level, Medicine is much more appreciable and less saturated than Law...In Nigeria's career horizon, Medicine is relatively better because you get to practice and earn decent income...And doctors have the strongest bargaining power in Nigeria as they know how to press their demands and hold the government to ransom...Same can not be said of other professional bodies in Nigeria...ASUU as a body is only second to NMA.

Half truth.
Nigeria is the most disorganized country on Earth. Professional bodies posses bargaining power depending on periods.

I've witnessed a three months NMA strike in my state of origin and the State Government didn't give a Bleep. I've witnessed six months ASUU strike and the Government didn't care.

No Nigerian Government will allow a one week long Strike of the NIGERIAN BAR ASSOCIATION one month to the general elections in this country when there are pending cases in Court that will determine whether those big politicians will be eligible to contest or not. It's not possible.

Nigerian Medical Association will receive adequate attention if they strike during a pandemic where international travels are restricted after all those responsible for the settlement of the agitated medical practitioners do not use local hospitals.

3 Likes

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Gamesmart: 7:56pm On Jul 18, 2020
ethicallyright:

https://thenationonlineng.net/paris-club-refund-row-350m-fees-consultants/

Above is the link . Ned Nwoko and his collegues were actually owed $350 million for the case against Paris club. The amount to be returned was $3.5billion. What they did is arbitration. At that point a corporation or country has no choice than to pay the 10% required by an arbitration lawyer and keep their 90% or lose all.

That is not evidence of legal fees.

That is evidence of legal corruption.

Nigeria does not need to pay lawyers to "facilitate" return of money Paris Funds that was willing refunded. Even if with was not willing, no sane and clean government will pay such amount or percentage for such services.

Typical legal percentages are below 2% and the larger the figure the more responsible authorities cap the fees, whereby when a figure is reached (e.g. $10m), that is the max to be paid and percentages become irrelevant.

This is just an arrangement by some governors to loot.

You showed evidence of corruption, not evidence of legal fees.

ethicallyright:

Let's take Manchester City case at CAS for instance. If Man City can pay Sterling , De Brunye et Al, and even buy players for 250 million pounds, what makes you think the arbitration lawyer that defended Man City against UEFA lawyers won't get 10 million pounds for the case when all the money they used to purchase the players would have been wasted without an appearance at UEFA champions league in two years or relegation to League 1?

Lawyers get paid as much as 500million dollars for multibillion dollars arbitration cases. In fact the price is 10% like agency.

Law practice at that level is like sports agency. Your clients determine your pay. While the agents of Ronaldo and co are paid in 8 figures, the agents of Sunshine United players are paid in 4 figures.

It's not charge and bail. If house/real estate agents at Lekki do not joke with their 10% what makes you think that high level arbitration lawyers will joke with their 10% after years of education and proficiency?

Speculative nonsense!
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by kiddkash(m): 8:00pm On Jul 18, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
Na all profession for the country my dear

After training and stress to get the qualifications
Still nothing to show for it

Imagine i go see one lawyer the other day concerning how he is going to help me write an agreement of a land i purchased with an approval permit

The lawyer even dey beg me make i pay twenty thousand Naira......
I was shocked.... within me i was like this amount nor too small
Trust Nigerians na..even when i know say the amount small
Still i was telling him am going to pay 15,000 naira
And funny enough he still accept last last...

I understand you brother.. them don already get the agreement for system na for them to edit the agreement and sign....but them dey also keep the draft copy of the agreement after signing....one for the transferor, the transferee and the lawyer.. probably incase of dispute and wahalar
if you want to go up, you need someone like Thirsty Rawlings on empire
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by kiddkash(m): 8:00pm On Jul 18, 2020
Etinosa1234:
OP...are u a lawyer/Law student...

I'm a Law student and I have few years b4 I graduate but as of recent..I've been discouraged abt the course...The course is great alright but it's not in demand and I'm not ready to spend 5yrs and spending more than 300k in law school and get paid 20k a month.. So I'm learning a skill that will make way for me...
One reason that made me give up on the law profession is the fact that Law schools in Nigeria are churning out thousands of Lawyers in a country that has legal apathy. They'll prefer to "leave the matter to God" than to fight it in court hence depreciating the demand for lawyers
Another thing is that it's very competitive.... from what I've heard ..it takes a while to get to top of the ladder in the legal profession..abeg..I wan make my Papa quick enjoy the fruits of his labour
And the third reason I gave up was that my roommates in the hostel don dey call me charge and bail grin. I don dey reject am..So a whole me..A Law graduate that spent 6 years in school will be hanging around the court and be shouting "Bros u get case"
I've already decided that I'll just get the cert for people to know that I'm a graduate..

Simply my opinion...Don't disturb me
if you want to go up, you need someone like Thirsty Rawlings on empire
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 18, 2020
Gamesmart:

That is not evidence of legal fees.

That is evidence of legal corruption.

Nigeria does not need to pay lawyers to "facilitate" return of money Paris Funds that was willing refunded. Even if with was not willing, no sane and clean government will pay such amount or percentage for such services.

Typical legal percentages are below 2% and the larger the figure the more responsible authorities cap the fees, whereby when a figure is reached (e.g. $10m), that is the max to be paid and percentages become irrelevant.

This is just an arrangement by some governors to loot.

You showed evidence of corruption, not evidence of legal fees.

Speculative nonsense!

Take your L in peace, there's no shame in being schooled by a well informed young man.

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Gamesmart: 8:08pm On Jul 18, 2020
ethicallyright:

Take your L in peace, there's no shame in being schooled by a well informed young man.

You are naive, not well informed.

You know nothing about fees and legal work

No one with a brain pays lawyers 10% for a non-complex case of short-changing of money due to be calculated and refunded.

Lawyers doing more complex disagreements cannot command such percentages.

Get schooled and stop chest-beating!
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jul 18, 2020
Gamesmart
Check out this link. Check how much number 2 earned for one oil company case.
https://legaldesire.com/the-top-20-richest-lawyers-of-the-world/

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Gamesmart: 8:47pm On Jul 18, 2020
ethicallyright:
Gamesmart

Check out this link. Check how much number 2 earned for one oil company case.

https://legaldesire.com/the-top-20-richest-lawyers-of-the-world/

Okay, it says his contigency fee was $335.

And your point is?
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jul 18, 2020
Gamesmart:

Okay, it says his contigency fee was $335.
And your point is?
335 million dollars.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Jamail
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Goddys(m): 8:57pm On Jul 18, 2020
MiddleDimension:

that's not why they are at the top. btw, the fraternities as you call it, are not bad neither are they evil. the one who joins the esoteric organization because he thinks there is connection there, will only get disappointed! or you think people don't get disappointed in the Freemasonry and the Rosicrucian Order? also, the church's penchant for demonizing what it does not understand is also another reason why people will go to join these organizations thinking it is a ticket into fame, wealth and connection and also an avenue to hit their enemies.

also, if by any chance, there are a lot of lawyers in there and these lawyers are successful (and there are), then it is possibly because they are well read! anyone who is knowledge inclined, stands out! they have a good sense of justice and fairness. and they know how to argue their point as a result of their vast exposure to knowledge and wisdom, a thing the average scripture quoting fundamentalist born again despise and as a result, they fall behind members of esoteric organization who are by the way Christians and Muslims and any other religion out there, but with a difference.

also, what's wrong with these videos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPFbKpYiVcA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRP8CbhbW4c
after watching those short videos, i would like to ask if you took note of the eloquence? and please remind me if eloquence is one of the qualities of a good lawyer or not? and did you notice he said those beautiful things out of the content of his person, without memorizing it. at least, it doesn't look to me like he memorized them. you see, a man is just by nature; and as he gives himself to consideration, wisdom, knowledge and understanding, that goodness in him glows even brighter! so can you now see why they may be common in your profession, law? afterall, they were responsible for founding a country, like you saw in that video. a country based on freedom and justice, which you will agree with me, are the foundations of law in civilized countries. so them dominating your profession, as you say, is probably not because they are favoured by the devil, like a lot of you want to believe, but because of what i have mentioned above.
to the one who is corrupt, all things appear corrupt; to the one who is evil, all things appear evil; and to the one who is good all things appear good, at least, that's the first thing that meets his eyes as he looks at a thing.

Please don't lecture me on spirituality. I never said the esoteric organizations are evil. Probably you need to re-read my post. I am not fit to judge on what is good and bad since both are aspect of existence.

Some lawyers and judges join because of the level of personalities in it. There's no way you roll with such personalities without getting contracts and connections. I was merely hinting on the social power of esoteric organizations like ROF etc, and one must have attained some level of comfort to qualify as a member
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Depressedkidd: 8:59pm On Jul 18, 2020
Etinosa1234:
OP...are u a lawyer/Law student...

I'm a Law student and I have few years b4 I graduate but as of recent..I've been discouraged abt the course...The course is great alright but it's not in demand and I'm not ready to spend 5yrs and spending more than 300k in law school and get paid 20k a month.. So I'm learning a skill that will make way for me...
One reason that made me give up on the law profession is the fact that Law schools in Nigeria are churning out thousands of Lawyers in a country that has legal apathy. They'll prefer to "leave the matter to God" than to fight it in court hence depreciating the demand for lawyers
Another thing is that it's very competitive.... from what I've heard ..it takes a while to get to top of the ladder in the legal profession..abeg..I wan make my Papa quick enjoy the fruits of his labour
And the third reason I gave up was that my roommates in the hostel don dey call me charge and bail grin. I don dey reject am..So a whole me..A Law graduate that spent 6 years in school will be hanging around the court and be shouting "Bros u get case"
I've already decided that I'll just get the cert for people to know that I'm a graduate..

Simply my opinion...Don't disturb me
No lies here. It's why I'd never advice anyone to be a lawyer in naija. Something that someone can sue and gain millions, they'll say God dey, na God de revenge. Alaye get your initial revenge now, when God is free he'll add his own.
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Kenstufez: 9:07pm On Jul 18, 2020
It applies to any profession, not just in Nigeria but everywhere in the world. I know alot of engineers and computer scientists that graduated many years ago without job in Canada. So it's not a Nigerian thing!

Vianna:
In my opinion, I think it's no longer as lucrative as it used to be and it's a very sorry situation. A lot of lawyers roaming the streets, they are suffering. Some of the many problems are

1. Too many graduates, little job slots

2. Senior colleagues are not ready to give the younger ones a chance

Most lawyers are "charge and bail" . They roam the streets and advertise their services to potential clients and they don't even have a place to call office. Many of them loiter in court premises all day under the hot sun and await the arrival of the police, hoping that the police would bring some accused persons who do not have lawyers to defend them. The moment this happens, the lawyer would approach the accused (usually agberos, louts and unfortunate Nigerians who the police had decided to transfer his frustrations on. ) and offer his service either directly to the accused persons, or through his relatives or friends who followed him to court. After a certain meagre fee is paid. The lawyer will appear before the magistrate and orally apply for bail, which in most cases would be granted if the offence(s) is a bailable one.

Being a lawyer in today's Nigeria is overrated, studying in school for 5 years to become a lawyer is a waste of time. To me it's more meaningful if used as a part time job while you venture into business or entrepreneurship.
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Teespice(f): 9:25pm On Jul 18, 2020
Hidentity:

Sister, I am as tired as you are. I think debating the issue is even a time-wasting adventure. Let everyone know what they want from the beginning and set out for it accordingly. How have you been, Tee?

End of discussion.

I am very fine and you. Speaking of which there's something I need to talk to you about... PM??
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Gamesmart: 9:28pm On Jul 18, 2020
ethicallyright:

335 million dollars.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Jamail

Okay, you win that point.

That fee was 3.2% of what he won.

https://www.thepersonalbrandinggroup.com/the-335mm-question-how-one-question-made-joe-jamail-americas-richest-trial-lawyer/

I guess it was not capped because the CEO was his friend.
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jul 18, 2020
Gamesmart:

Okay, you win that point.

That fee was 3.2% of what he won.

https://www.thepersonalbrandinggroup.com/the-335mm-question-how-one-question-made-joe-jamail-americas-richest-trial-lawyer/

I guess it was not capped because the CEO was his friend.

It was a nice time. Happy weekend!
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Gamesmart: 10:07pm On Jul 18, 2020
ethicallyright:

It was a nice time. Happy weekend!

You too, bruv.
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Flows001(m): 10:08pm On Jul 18, 2020
I remember back then in school, my lecturer once told us that the Legal Profession has three phases:
(1)Those eating fat meat
(2) Those eating biscuit bone
(3). Those struggling with dry bone
This lecturer said that after cashing out over #24 million on a single case he handled. This isn't about Law but Nigeria as a country and destinies differ, if you're destined to make it big in the profession then there's absolutely nothing that can hinder you. Law is a noble profession and the privileges attached to it cannot be compared to that of any other profession. When God smiles on your matter, a single case can fetch you the life time savings of many people.

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by justli: 10:08pm On Jul 18, 2020
OvaSabi1:

How can certifications in finance help?

I was emphasizing moving up the corporate ladder. FP&A, investment banking, Financial Modelling and valuation... These are some certification that can give you real headstart, and with a degree in law, you have all the advantage

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by Hidentity(m): 10:13pm On Jul 18, 2020
Teespice:

End of discussion.

I am very fine and you. Speaking of which there's something I need to talk to you about... PM??
You're asking if you should PM me? Haba! Anytime.
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by bobkezel(m): 10:15pm On Jul 18, 2020
It's not lucrative anything.
My lawyer friend did my house papers over a plate of nkwobi...
He said it was because of me oooo
One of my friends bought a house and he did his papers over another plate of nkwobi and 20k.
He was eating like a starved slave.
His salary is 20k plus commission

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by gunners160(m): 10:17pm On Jul 18, 2020
Alphaman007:
because you don't have an idea of what you can do with psychology. Psychology is in everything. Marketing, ui/ux, design, medicine, engineering etc.
I'm into ui/ux and psychology is the major tool as we regularly carry ux research. Psychology is science boss....
Bros can you pls stop deceiving urself? How does psychology fit into Nigeria situation. Practical a lot of people hardly make use of psychologist instead they prefer making use of pastors. Furthermore if u understand rational emotive therapy u will understand that psychological in this country most people belief their problem is being caused by some one else and would not never take responsibilities for their mistakes
Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by sanyaoyega(m): 10:21pm On Jul 18, 2020
Vianna:
In my opinion, I think it's no longer as lucrative as it used to be and it's a very sorry situation. A lot of lawyers roaming the streets, they are suffering. Some of the many problems are

1. Too many graduates, little job slots

2. Senior colleagues are not ready to give the younger ones a chance

Most lawyers are "charge and bail" . They roam the streets and advertise their services to potential clients and they don't even have a place to call office. Many of them loiter in court premises all day under the hot sun and await the arrival of the police, hoping that the police would bring some accused persons who do not have lawyers to defend them. The moment this happens, the lawyer would approach the accused (usually agberos, louts and unfortunate Nigerians who the police had decided to transfer his frustrations on. ) and offer his service either directly to the accused persons, or through his relatives or friends who followed him to court. After a certain meagre fee is paid. The lawyer will appear before the magistrate and orally apply for bail, which in most cases would be granted if the offence(s) is a bailable one.

Being a lawyer in today's Nigeria is overrated, studying in school for 5 years to become a lawyer is a waste of time. To me it's more meaningful if used as a part time job while you venture into business or entrepreneurship.
I think not. As longer as you are ready to attend seminars, join clubs, take internships and other stuff. I swear that legal Jobs and offers will chase you. But Nigerians don't really want to do things like this, they prefer to sweat after 500lvl when its a bit too late.

1 Like

Re: Is The Legal Profession As Lucrative As It Used To Be? by gunners160(m): 10:25pm On Jul 18, 2020
prosperioh:
What do u do currently, i also studied psychology .
business. I own two cafe shops in two diff Universities

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Please Advise: What Should Be My Reply To My Boss / CISA And CISA Aspirants..come In! / Airport Guards Who Returned Bag Of Dollars, Finally Honoured. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.