Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,887 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:08 AM

All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. (3071 Views)

10 Distinct Things You Probably Think Are The Same / New Scammer's In Town. Share This Information With Your Friends Now / It Will Be Wicked Of Me,if After I Was Exempted From NYSC I Dont Share This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by Muurian: 6:11am On Jul 16, 2020

14 Likes 8 Shares

Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by budaatum: 6:17am On Jul 16, 2020
Most humans, perhaps. Some observe and learn.

1 Like

Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by Nobody: 6:51am On Jul 16, 2020
Wow, we humans aren't that bright after all.
Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by Stephenomozzy(m): 6:53am On Jul 16, 2020
Mehn... Psychology is a beautiful field of study.

I guess the concept is a natural thing for all species with a brain. The human mind finds it hard to accept that certain occurences can be without relation.

A desire to find meaning will always drive our brain to make up stuffs

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by Muurian: 7:10am On Jul 16, 2020
budaatum:
Most humans, perhaps. Some observe and learn.
I think it's all.

From mighty corporations to the child who cries to be fed.
Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by Muurian: 7:12am On Jul 16, 2020
Stephenomozzy:

I guess the concept is a natural thing for all species with a brain. The human mind finds it hard to accept that certain occurences can be without relation.

That's correct bro.

We always try to find a meaning to attach to something for our own sanity. We find it hard to believe that things just happen, and that there is nothing to it. Religion is a typical example of this!

5 Likes

Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by Muurian: 7:13am On Jul 16, 2020
Squillaci:
Wow, we humans aren't that bright after all.
Hahahahahahahahaha.

We are bright o... But, we cannot cheat nature!
Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by XXXXTENTACION: 7:21am On Jul 16, 2020
Threads like this will not enter f.p but if it was usesless stuffs like snake now ehen.

oya lalasticlala push this thread to fp.

3 Likes

Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by Nobody: 7:24am On Jul 16, 2020
@OP, you're very right from a parochial point of view but you're very wrong from an absolute point of view.
Even though the flaw exists, nonetheless it would be flawed to think this concept is true for all cases.
There is assumption and there is assurance;
There is coincidence and there is contrivance;
There is superstition and there is supernatural;
The real problem is, as humans, it's always hard to strike a balance and stay in the balance.
Most times, people are always at the extremes.
Some are at the high end, while others are at the low end. Only very few find the balance and stay in it.
We have people who attach superstitions to every random coincidence, when others see this flaw, in a bid to correct it, they also end up at the other extreme end of the whole shiit.
Life is a compound mixture of harmonies and contradictions; your duty is to know when it's real and when you're faking it.

Stephenomozzy:
Very correct.
Curiosity, the natural quest to fathom and rationalize every damn thing, are part of the major instinctive behaviors of every human.
That is why kids are always asking questions, they are ever curious and they never stop asking questions. It is a natural push from their instincts.
So, when people can't get the right answer, they 'make up stuffs' like you said, so as to deceive the brain into being satisfied sort of.
The only difference is, some never settle for 'made up stuffs', it's either they get the right answer or they die trying. That is where science came into play. And that is why I always feel apart from physical traits, whites also differ from blacks in physiological traits too.
Blacks are more superstitious, Whites are more pragmatic.

Muurian:

That's correct bro.
We always try to find a meaning to attach to something for our own sanity. We find it hard to believe that things just happen, and that there is nothing to it. Religion is a typical example of this!
No, you're getting it all twisted. You're also on the other extreme end of unreality.
Things don't just happen, but let's say some things just happen, it doesn't mean everything just happen.
There are superstitions, that doesn't mean everything is superstition. There are realities too.
Your perception is one-eyed just like the superstition you're deploring.

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by MJBOLT: 7:38am On Jul 16, 2020
Religious zombies won't like this grin
Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by Stephenomozzy(m): 7:50am On Jul 16, 2020
Muurian:

That's correct bro.

Oh yeahs religion!

I guess for us humans, it's a constant battle between "Knowledge" and "Desire for meaning".

"Attaching meaning for the sake of our sanity" - Survival of the species noni
Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by Muurian: 7:57am On Jul 16, 2020
Stephenomozzy:

Oh yeahs religion!

I guess for us humans, it's a constant battle between "Knowledge" and "Desire for meaning".

"Attaching meaning for the sake of our sanity" - Survival of the species noni
cheesy grin cheesy

Yeah.
Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by Vyzz: 8:06am On Jul 16, 2020
Could it be the fear of not knowing makes us attach meaning to things we don't know?...
Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by Purplekush(m): 8:12am On Jul 16, 2020
Yeah.. It's a BIG FAULT but it's not really our fault.

Who reads Robert Greene here? if you do then he talks about this oftentimes but Inna different concept. It's called pattern recognition.

Humans have evolved basically by noticing and following patterns. Animals too.

Sun rises and sets.
We eat then shit.
Drink water then piss.
See babe then get aroused
Eat some foods and live.
Eat some and get intoxicated etc...

So it's only normal to see things in a pattern... even when it's just a random act. because patterns have actually helped us evolve. In fact, ignoring patterns could be fatal.

But then he (R. Greene) also lets us know that lots of events are also without pattern.. just like the big bang and a couple of other spontaneous reactions wink

Which explains why superstitious people will try to read meaning into dreams and premonitions while ignoring the fact that hundreds of our dreams are inconsequential... just like having a wet dream when you banged Nicki Minaj doesn't mean shit.

It's just like assuming your music playlist automatically selects only some certain songs even when shuffle is turned on... when in reality it's just that you may dislike/like those songs which makes you pay attention to them unconsciously.

Do you know how many times I have dreamt that I was flying, swimming, breathing in water or even that a parent died??

Yet nothing like that has ever happened on real life. but, humans will only choose to focus on that one time out of a thousand when your thoughts and events match to form a pattern.. and stupidly hold on to it as a fact.

One more example we all can relate with is thinking about someone and then the person calls your phone almost immediately. It's almost a miracle

But then we ignore the thousand other times we have thought about people who never called back in ages. I mean I've been thinking about Will Smith and Jada since this week but he ain't called me yet grin

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by illicit(m): 8:29am On Jul 16, 2020
Religion is a drug
Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by TheSourcerer: 9:12am On Jul 16, 2020
Vyzz:
Could it be the fear of not knowing makes us attach meaning to things we don't know?...
pin point!
Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by Stephenomozzy(m): 9:45am On Jul 16, 2020
This therefore nullifies the idea that "EXPERIENCE IS THE BEST TEACHER"!

It really isn't.
Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by Muurian: 10:51am On Jul 16, 2020
Purplekush:
Yeah.. It's a BIG FAULT but it's not really our fault.

Who reads Robert Greene here? if you do then he talks about this oftentimes but Inna different concept. It's called pattern recognition.

Humans have evolved basically by noticing and following patterns. Animals too.

Sun rises and sets.
We eat then shit.
Drink water then piss.
See babe then get aroused
Eat some foods and live.
Eat some and get intoxicated etc...

So it's only normal to see things in a pattern... even when it's just a random act. because patterns have actually helped us evolve. In fact, ignoring patterns could be fatal.

But then he (R. Greene) also lets us know that lots of events are also without pattern.. just like the big bang and a couple of other spontaneous reactions wink

Which explains why superstitious people will try to read meaning into dreams and premonitions while ignoring the fact that hundreds of our dreams are inconsequential... just like having a wet dream when you banged Nicki Minaj doesn't mean shit.

It's just like assuming your music playlist automatically selects only some certain songs even when shuffle is turned on... when in reality it's just that you may dislike/like those songs which makes you pay attention to them unconsciously.

Do you know how many times I have dreamt that I was flying, swimming, breathing in water or even that a parent died??

Yet nothing like that has ever happened on real life. but, humans will only choose to focus on that one time out of a thousand when your thoughts and events match to form a pattern.. and stupidly hold on to it as a fact.

One more example we all can relate with is thinking about someone and then the person calls your phone almost immediately. It's almost a miracle

But then we ignore the thousand other times we have thought about people who never called back in ages. I mean I've been thinking about Will Smith and Jada since this week but he ain't called me yet grin

Wow guy, i really enjoyed this.

The funny thing is, despite being aware of it, you will still find yourself unconsciously doing it at some point in something different altogether.

More funnier is, the advertisement markets are making a kill with it.

1 Like

Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by Muurian: 10:57am On Jul 16, 2020
Stephenomozzy:
This therefore nullifies the idea that "EXPERIENCE IS THE BEST TEACHER"!

It really isn't.
Not really.

Another persons experience gives you an idea. Your own personal experience expounds that idea using the things unique to you alone.

If someone tells you the story of how they lost their phone in a car, you may start imagining how possible that is and how the person must have been careless... However, when the same exact thing happens to you, you realize that it is not about carelessness... You realise that there many variables which can make it very easy to lose your phone in a car, and I'm not talking about being robbed.

If you have not had sèx before, you would never know how it actually is.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by Stephenomozzy(m): 11:05am On Jul 16, 2020
Muurian:

Not really.

Another persons experience gives you an idea. Your own personal experience expounds that idea using the things unique to you alone.

I understand you Sir.

An "Idea" is not always fact. I was questioning the notion of "BEST" in the opening statement. An experience can also be a "false causality" too.
Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by Muurian: 11:11am On Jul 16, 2020
Stephenomozzy:

I understand you Sir.

An "Idea" is not always fact. I was questioning the notion of "BEST" in the opening statement. An experience can also be a "false causality" too.
Exactly...@bolded.

Like when someone is smiling at and with you, but you wouldn't know the same person is destroying your wife behind your back.

grin
Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by Stephenomozzy(m): 11:15am On Jul 16, 2020
Muurian:

Exactly...@bolded.

Like when someone is smiling at and with you, but you wouldn't know the same person is destroying your wife behind your back.

grin

Lol...This one is good ol' HYPOCRISY na.

It will not form a good argument as a false cause o. Unless, we would say because he's smiling at/with you, then he will be/likely be destroying one's wife
Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by seanwilliam(m): 11:16am On Jul 16, 2020
I don Camp my tent here.. this is a thread for the elites and psychologists..

1 Like

Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by Muurian: 11:21am On Jul 16, 2020
Stephenomozzy:

Lol...This one is good ol' HYPOCRISY na.

It will not form a good argument as a false cause o. Unless, we would say because he's smiling at/with you, then he will be/likely be destroying one's wife
No.

The false causality is to think that because he is smiling with you and is your friend, therefore he will not do anything detrimental to you.

1 Like

Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by budaatum: 11:22am On Jul 16, 2020
Muurian:

I think it's all.

From mighty corporations to the child who cries to be fed.
I have the odd feeling that most responders are saying they are not like that. Some of them must be lying of course, or just don't know they are like that, but some are not, or at least believe, they are not like that.

Let's do a crude poll perhaps. Share or like if you are not like that, ignore if you are like that.
Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by Muurian: 11:25am On Jul 16, 2020
budaatum:

I have the odd feeling that most responders are saying they are not like that. Some of them must be lying of course, or just don't know they are like that, but some are not, or at least believe, they are not like that.

Let's do a crude poll perhaps. Share or like if you are not like that, ignore if you are like that.
It's on then. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by Stephenomozzy(m): 11:28am On Jul 16, 2020
Muurian:

No.

The false causality is to think that because he is smiling with you and is your friend, therefore he will not do anything detrimental to you.

9 vs 6. I see your point now Sir.

However, in this context, a lot of our morals and norms in human society is built on this concept. I guess the "untrueness" of it makes it difficult that we may never attain a utopia.
Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by Muurian: 11:30am On Jul 16, 2020
Stephenomozzy:

9 vs 6. I see your point now Sir.

However, in this context, a lot of our morals and norms in human society is built on this concept. I guess the "untrueness" of it makes it difficult that we may never attain a utopia.
Na why dem dey tell us say utopia na better illusion o!
Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by Nickshrapnel: 11:34am On Jul 16, 2020
Wow! I stopped doing this just yesterday while playing LUDO game, I realize that I get a/double six when I play on a particular place on the LUDO board. But I thought to myself that it doesn’t make sense for me to attribute the six I got on the dice to the position I played on the board

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by gnykelly(m): 11:38am On Jul 16, 2020
it has been used very much in advertising by linking a certain respond to stimuli.
Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by Nobody: 11:43am On Jul 16, 2020
MJBOLT:
Religious zombies won't like this grin

Because this only applies to religious people, right?
Re: All Humans Share This One Distinct Mental Flaw. by budaatum: 11:47am On Jul 16, 2020
Muurian:

It's on then. cheesy
While we wait, and note that I only need one like or share to have proven my point, I wonder if you have heard of the Reflexivity Theory?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Odin, The King Of The Norse Gods / Federal Poly Ado Ekiti / Wonder Quadruplets!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.