Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,820 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:32 PM

Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! (16305 Views)

When Should A Lady Move Out Of Her Parent's House?? / For The Ladies: Moving Out Of Your Parent's House, Yay Or Nay? / Why Cant A Lady Return To Her Parent's House After A Fight With Her Husband? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by LoveKing(m): 8:57pm On Feb 07, 2011
born2fuck:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Moving out of father's house and living all alone with ashewo hoping to be your wife in future draining the little money left from income, May God help the boys as he has help all fathers

na every where you dey display your "intelligence" tongue

->topic

i think i moved out when i entered the university till i graduated. now i'm trying to cement it by getting another house,
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by lastpage: 9:02pm On Feb 07, 2011
As a "Mummy's boy, original", l did not move out at all! grin
I was always in-and-out briefly: Stayed on Campus during University days and spent one year (with 2months break at home) NYSC.

Everything has its Pros & Cons.
Staying close to "Mama" means from around age 10, l could cook virtually any kind of food, including ceremonial family dinners.
Staying at home (even after securing a very lucrative job) means l could save money "rapidly" (limited expenses) and since l am fully "domesticated", l spend less money on eating out! grin
I think it also "reduced my vices" as "Mama" would watch over me like an Eagle! No binge drinking or hanging out with the "wolves"! angry angry
And Pupsy was very strict and can sniff you out from ten miles, like some "wicked Alsatian" gringrin God bless his soul. kiss kiss

I was a kind of "money doubler" business minded, always looking for how l can turnover part of my "feeding allowance" so l could spend it and still have it!  Even from University days, l was always borrowing friends money, even when their own weekly allowance was more than mine! And l collect small, non-taxable "interest" on it grin grin

The greatest positive it had in my life was that I moved from my "one room" family-house, to a house l built with my own money wink
Well, my parents helped me oversee the land purchase and those wild-eyed artisans.
It makes me feel proud that l got married in a house l built for myself (not a mansion anyway) and l did not borrow a car for my wedding, l used my own car and it was a car in vogue back then grin

If the poster is my kind of person, l will say: Dont get bothered and dont set "age limits" for yourself; Just ensure that you take advantage of the opportunity it presents.
Why will l want to pay #450,000+ for a two year, two-bed, self contained in Lagos when l can add small money to it and buy some land in the outskirts of Lagos? Seems short-term foolish to me but then, l no be the typical "happening guy"!

Wish u da-best.

BTW: if you feel compelled to move-out early, stay close to where you have good friends and/or relatives, there is safety in numbers, you know?

1 Like

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Odunnu: 9:21pm On Feb 07, 2011
Just have a steady source of income, you could team up with a friend,it'l make the bills easier to pay

1 Like

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by MaiSuya(m): 9:22pm On Feb 07, 2011
moving out from home was the sweetest time of my life. that it happened just after I completed NYSC and got a plum job made it simply. . . MUUUUAHHHH!!!  grin grin cheesy
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by ikposhijnr: 9:26pm On Feb 07, 2011
I plan to move for my NYSC first and neva plan to come back, BLA

Why not go for the NYSC first before thinkin of not comin bak, I tot life is suppose to be a day at a time?
The idea of moving in with a frnd should be ur last option, Kus conflicts "may" creep in and u'll begin seeing annoying things u neva saw in him before

My Advice move out wen u av the financial Capability for ur sustainance. Else "END",

1 Like

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by yabadabado: 9:27pm On Feb 07, 2011
u maybe a superbrain but most of them are usually super untidy ,

house chores, domestic activities, cleaning, COOKING, good one oooh!
finances, i like u have been told, not just the bill for an un married person like u  but the ones that comes to a family man<with a superbrain , this ought not to be a problem , if ur brain is really super>

Again , ur babe may get pregnant, very soon, u may also become an accomplice in the abortion practice, if u are ALMOST PROPERLY RAISED.

ur spiritual life <if u gat one> will suffer invariably, and u go become a more BADDA  GUYS, far away from GOD   even satan needs JESUS oh.

u go wan wear satin lace of ARROGANCE, to some people wey u suppose still dey respect, but this will pass, if u are ALMOST WELL RAISED.
IF U NO GET FINANCAL INTELLIGENCE, OUTSIDE NAIJA , U WILL QUICKLY BECOME BROKE, AND AND UP IN DEBT , but 4 naija, ur landlord go throw ur things out into the gutter and u will become embarrassed and go hungry and BECOME A CONDUCTOR PLYING   OSHODI TO MILE 12, and 1 day u go come go back u ya papa house like a prodigal pickin, begging 4 a scrap of yesterday  bread.

but believe me u will love the experience

1 Like

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by kadman(m): 9:55pm On Feb 07, 2011
I moved to boarding school at 11, and since my parents were abroad I was kind of based in school. I moved back a year to my aunts place while waiting for admission to Uni, at 18 I moved into Uni rented a place and I've NEVER lived back home since then. . . I'm almost 25 now.
I remember one time I think I was 19, my mum came to spend a weekend at my flat, she burst into tears saying how matured and self sufficient I was.
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Tinyemeka(m): 9:56pm On Feb 07, 2011
I left home for Lagos at 15 to go and write JAMB, came back for about 4 months then left home again to enter the University. So from that age of 15 yrs plus, I never spent more than a month at home except when I came back to do my I.T. After graduation I spent about 7 months at home waiting for NYSC call-up. That was the longest period I ever spent at home since entering the Uni. And after service I did not have the morale to go back home. What would I be going to do there? All in all, the essence of leaving home early, is to develop a level of independence and the ability to make the right decisions on your own, which would enable you to become an achiever and fighter in life. I got to be very aggressive in my job hunting after service, such that I got a job 2 months after arriving Lag and eventually switched for a far better one 7 months later, which I have been enjoying to date.

Leaving home early endows one with a lot of advantages and very few disadvantages. Haba! Why u go still dey chop "mummy thank you ma" years after service. We dey grow O!
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Nobody: 9:56pm On Feb 07, 2011
kadman:

I moved to boarding school at 11, and since my parents were abroad I was kind of based in school. I moved back a year to my aunts place while waiting for admission to Uni, at 18 I moved into Uni rented a place and I've NEVER lived back home since then. . . I'm almost 25 now.
I remember one time I think I was 19, my mum came to spend a weekend at my flat, she burst into tears saying how matured and self sufficient I was.

eyah.
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Tinyemeka(m): 9:59pm On Feb 07, 2011
Lastpage I dey feel your drift.
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by sirabbey(m): 10:02pm On Feb 07, 2011
@lastpage, that was a superb story, I wish every young guy could have such an experience but sadly only 1% fortunate ones do have such, many do not and will not including yours sincerely typing this.

well at topic i suggest you move out some years before you are ready for marriage especially when you are through with what you consider standard education. dont even wait till you feel you can fend for all your needs, and like I said earlier dont let the comfort zone of your parents house tie you down.
Yours sincerely left parent's house shortly after NYSC and 4yrs later was confident and comfortable enough to get married. The 4years struggling was an experience of a lifetime that i can not exchange for anything. If I have any regret, it will be not leaving earlier than i did.

1 Like

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Fearcom(m): 10:40pm On Feb 07, 2011
It Happened-Just like that.

had lost my mum barely a year before then,and I had been at home,after NYSC,for two years.

But suddenly,i went for an interview and i got the job! wow!. . . . . grin. . . . .BUT. . . .

the job was in another state, far away from home. . . .and so what?

I Relocated immediately!. . . After a liitle time,Rented a 2bd flat bought a car. . . .e.t.c

the rest,as they say,is history. . . . smiley. . .But the best is yet to come. . . .
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by lastpage: 10:47pm On Feb 07, 2011
Thanks "Tiny-emeka" (l like reading meaning into peoples handle grin ) and "Sir-abbey".
I hate to relate "personal experience" on a public forum, for fear of giving out too much but at times, l think it could inspire someone or someone could gain one or two from it.
Everyone should evaluate their position properly before taking the plunge wink
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by favouredjb(f): 10:58pm On Feb 07, 2011
i always look forward to ur posts @last page,i gbadun ur tory grin
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Nobody: 1:11am On Feb 08, 2011
lastpage:

As a "Mummy's boy, original", l did not move out at all! grin
I was always in-and-out briefly: Stayed on Campus during University days and spent one year (with 2months break at home) NYSC.

Everything has its Pros & Cons.
Staying close to "Mama" means from around age 10, l could cook virtually any kind of food, including ceremonial family dinners.
Staying at home (even after securing a very lucrative job) means l could save money "rapidly" (limited expenses) and since l am fully "domesticated", l spend less money on eating out! grin
I think it also "reduced my vices" as "Mama" would watch over me like an Eagle! No binge drinking or hanging out with the "wolves"! angry angry
And Pupsy was very strict and can sniff you out from ten miles, like some "wicked Alsatian" gringrin God bless his soul. kiss kiss

I was a kind of "money doubler" business minded, always looking for how l can turnover part of my "feeding allowance" so l could spend it and still have it!  Even from University days, l was always borrowing friends money, even when their own weekly allowance was more than mine! And l collect small, non-taxable "interest" on it grin grin

The greatest positive it had in my life was that I moved from my "one room" family-house, to a house l built with my own money wink
Well, my parents helped me oversee the land purchase and those wild-eyed artisans.
It makes me feel proud that l got married in a house l built for myself (not a mansion anyway) and l did not borrow a car for my wedding, l used my own car and it was a car in vogue back then grin

If the poster is my kind of person, l will say: Dont get bothered and dont set "age limits" for yourself; Just ensure that you take advantage of the opportunity it presents.
Why will l want to pay #450,000+ for a two year, two-bed, self contained in Lagos when l can add small money to it and buy some land in the outskirts of Lagos? Seems short-term foolish to me but then, l no be the typical "happening guy"!

Wish u da-best.

BTW: if you feel compelled to move-out early, stay close to where you have good friends and/or relatives, there is safety in numbers, you know?

this is the best response so far i've come across on this thread.

every side has its pros and cons, for some, the comfort of one's parent's home makes the person to be indolent in preparing for the future. but, no matter the side the effect falls into, the ideology of the person in question matters most.

1 Like

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Nobody: 5:27am On Feb 08, 2011
Im nt goin bck home after my first-degree programme. Thats y im still in sch after my graduation, thinkin of what 2 do b4 i go 4 my NYSC. God be my lead. I think after university u shld have 4gotten ur house address or way bck home.
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Druss(m): 6:18am On Feb 08, 2011
abeg move when you are financially able to. Rent can be a biatch!! So if you are working use that time to build up your finances.

1 Like

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by amdman: 6:57am On Feb 08, 2011
My older brothers moved back to the 'Comfort Zone' (house) after NYSC and that to me was not cool at all, cos you get to a stage in life when a man has to fend for himself and pull himself up by his bootstraps.

We usually have a meeting at the beginning of each year, and one year (was in 300L then) I told them all that unlike them, I will not be returning to the house after NYSC. Of course it was a heated discussion, but I made my point that it makes little sense to be put through school and continue to chop mummy food afterwards without contributing a dime.

Thanks to God's faithfulness, I kept my word! And that singular fact has kept me ahead. I got married at 28 when brothers as old as 33 were still unmarried. My parents' respect for me went through the roof. I sent them monthly stipends, not because they needed it, but because it was the thing to do. I may be the 9th child out of 11, but my early independence has stood me out.
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by amdman: 7:00am On Feb 08, 2011
When you move out
And it dawns on you that there's no mummy to feed you
No daddy to pay rent
When you realise that its you against the world
Then your brain will work better.
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by hexcraft(m): 7:25am On Feb 08, 2011
Most NL on this post make me laugh.
shocked
Very funny thread.

Well there is never an ideal time to leave one's parents cos most parent will forever want their children to be with them. Cos as far as they are concern, you are still that their baby of yesterday.

So the ideal time is when you are ready to face the reality of life, and for you to be successful, the earlier (from 18+) the better, ensure you know how to cook your meals and manage any finances you are able to reach before leaving.

As for those in NYSC, that is a perfect time to say bye to folks. You can always visit them from time to time, initially regular and you proceed to being scarce. 9,500 is a small money, but it also depends on what survival skill you have. Most people from NYSC they never return to their family houses but the lazy once especially those daddy help wrote waec, jamb, help secure addmission and so on will continue to depend on daddy's support even in time of wanting to get married.

best of luck.
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Nobody: 7:44am On Feb 08, 2011
I left home after high school to further my education. Though na my papa money sustain me grin
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by NewHere(m): 7:47am On Feb 08, 2011
Guys, planning to leave ur comfort zone, should be in your mind once you get to your final year or once you are clocking 21. As for me, i stopped spending even holidays in my parents house after my first year in Uni. then i started going to my uncle's place for holidays alone, after school, NYSC n 4 months after NYSC, i moved out of my uncle's place,  i have a well payin job n i'm enjoying my life.

But, finally e no easy ooo. I have to get a house very close to my uncle's place, coz it be very boring atimes.
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Nobody: 8:37am On Feb 08, 2011
I moved out at the age of 20. It wasn't just moving from my parents house, they lived in Benin City, I moved to Lagos. 9 months later, I was back in the United Kingdom, where I've been ever since.

I had little money at the time, and it was rough for a while. However, I forged on, got a part-time job, and continued with my studies. I have no regrets, and would do the same again.

Age to move out? I doubt there's a set age, all depends on how prepared you are, emotionally and financially, everyone's different.
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Nobody: 8:40am On Feb 08, 2011
^^ How's sienna and mama sienna?
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Nobody: 9:10am On Feb 08, 2011
First, you will one day move out of your pop's house so planning to move out early should be the goal. Your parents could still be there for you even when you are not under their roof but the experience of developing faith in God and what God can do in your life comes with being on your own. This was my story when I left home.
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Bukittes(f): 9:17am On Feb 08, 2011
Moved out at 23. No setbacks since then thanks to God Almighty cos He's been faithful at keeping me in health and financially.
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by teekay01(m): 9:24am On Feb 08, 2011
the best time is when u knw u are financially ok and care of ur parent as if u are with them
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by daddee: 9:36am On Feb 08, 2011
One should move out of his parent's house when his time is set, no necessarily working with another man's clock,

I have always stayed in my parent's house from birth till university education - no boarding school experience.
My first time ever outta my parent's house was when I went for NYSC (@ 21). During NYSC, I started a biz back at home (was run by my mum on my behalf). After the NYSC I went back to the same house to continue with my biz and lived there for another four months before I got a job that moved me out of the state. After four years on the job, I got to a status that allowed me to live at any state/city of my choice and work from there with all travel expenses paid by the company. I returned back to my parent's house. My parents are very comfortable but that is not to say I wasn't contributing my input to the finances. They didn't want it but I told them to let me feel responsible. Was in my parents house when I got my first house (in the same city). Moved from my parents house to my own house few months to my wedding @ 27.

1 Like

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by osasp(m): 9:37am On Feb 08, 2011
theres not really an ideal age because different situations lead to different outcomes. I'm currently 21, live alone, study, work and also handle the rent myself (if u live in London you know how expensive it is) but i cant cry to ne1 though can i. some of us here come from comfortable homes with well to do parents that have everything sorted for their kids so they don't feel the pressure to move on (and even when they do, they probably move into a house built by their parents) and there's nothing wrong with that. so as i said, it depends on the situation, one cant really place a finger on it. hope i helped smiley

1 Like

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by Bawss1(m): 9:39am On Feb 08, 2011
Move out as soon as possible the latest being when you are done with your first degree. The earlier you start to make your own decisions and fend for yourself the better for you. Its an experience that brings incalculable gain, do not hesitate till all the "conditions" are perfect.
Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by victorazy(m): 9:40am On Feb 08, 2011
I refused to relocate with my parents to Lagos from Abuja because i dont like Eko Life.
Since our rent is not yet expired, i decided to come back and stay. I have no work then but teaching engineers on how to draw with computer via AutoCAD "where am running my IT programm" and thats how i started, they later employed me cuz am very good. Now i've gotten work, rent house and buy my first car on 8 July 2010 "i never knew that i can stay alone and fend for myself.

1 Like

Re: Moving Out From Parent's House- Your Experience! by lonewolf: 10:32am On Feb 08, 2011
Your ability to move out is primarily dependent on your finances. Most issues can be sorted out if you earn relatively good money. It's when you don't earn a lot of money that it becomes a debate as to when the best time to move out is. But as a general principle, once you start hitting 24, 25, 26 you start needing your space. If you still live at your parents' at that age, but everyone can see that it's simply because you want to -- maybe you love your family too much, or are simply a mummy's boy, or you're supporting your folks financially, etc., then it's all good. If, however, you are still at your parents' well into your late 20s and early 30s simply because you're a bum-arse with no job, then that's just unseemly and disturbing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Do You Handle Rumors About Yourself? Share Tips / Operation No To Househelps 2014 / How Do I Keep On Pushing With Nagging Relatives?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.