Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,171 members, 7,860,210 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 07:50 AM

Why Tithes Are Important - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Tithes Are Important (5313 Views)

People Who Pay Tithes Are Continually Been Scamed. / Pastors Collecting Tithes Are Robbers And David Did Not Kill Goliath - Aribisala / Tithes - Are Pastors Frightened That If Christians Don't Fear They Will Not Pay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Tithes Are Important by yommyuk: 4:22am On Feb 09, 2011
CONTROVERSY cool

If the Holy Spirit has not yet guided you to the right church which is highly unlikely undecided but possible.

Pay your tithes to a good godly cause like helping the OLD, WIDOW, ORPHANAGE, RELATIVES, NEEDY, PAY SOMEONES SCHOOL FEES, SOMEONES HOSPITAL BILLS, BRING A SMILE TO SOMEONES FACE, MEET A NEED, , WHATEVER

The key is to show the LOVE OF GOD. That is what "TITHING" is all about.

I hope mature brethen get me. cool
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Joagbaje(m): 8:23am On Feb 09, 2011
Tithes are to be given to God and not to widows, the ministers of God prays over them Because of the anointing in their office. Abraham didn't give his tithe to widows, he gave it to a minister. And the minister by the anointing blessed him

Numbers 18:8
8 And the Lord spake unto Aaron, Behold, I also have given thee the charge of mine heave offerings of all the hallowed things of the children of Israel; unto thee have I given them by reason of the anointing,  
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Nobody: 8:32am On Feb 09, 2011
So you know where the TRUTH is ?  What the problem? GET UNDERSTANDING

What point are u ttrying to make? are today's pastors levites?why should they be entitled to tithes?

if u like pay your tithes weekly, monthly, yearly, or whatever your choice.

The jewish law of tithes stipulates that levithical tithes should be paid once every three years ,why do you want to change the frequency  by your self besides am yet to see any pastor in Nigeria claiming descent from the jewish tribe of levi.

Tithing has nothing to do with the law

Abraham paid tithes (before the law came)to melchisedec who lives forever

Compulsory circumcision that was severally criticised by paul was also instituted by God through Abraham before moses gave the law,the fact remains that both Tithes and circumcision even thoughj they existed before moses was still incororated into the jewish law,the same goes for burnt offerings.

Even how many times did Abraham pay tithes to melchizedek ? Did melchizedek demand tithes from him?Abrahanm's tithes was paid just once and done out of his own volition.

Apostle paul choose to give up this right of RECIEVING hence following Matthew 23;23 that loving others as one of the most important principles in life. He did this by not focusing on what is best of HIM, but on what is "BEST FOR OTHERS".  This principle is based on PASTOR - TO MEMBERS and must be applied appropriately

Why can't your greedy pastors do likewise.
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by KunleOshob(m): 9:30am On Feb 09, 2011
Joagbaje:

Tithes are to be given to God and not to widows, the ministers of God prays over them Because of the anointing in their office. Abraham didn't give his tithe to widows, he gave it to a minister. And the minister by the anointing blessed him

Oga why do you love distorting scriptures becos of your greed, you call yourself a pastor that knows the scripture well yet you claim tithes are not to be given to widows even when the bible clearly states so abi the following passges are missing from your bible.

Deuteronomy 14:28-29:

28 “At the end of every third year, bring the entire tithe of that year’s harvest and store it in the nearest town. 29 Give it to the Levites, who will receive no allotment of land among you, as well as to the foreigners living among you, the orphans, and the widows in your towns, so they can eat and be satisfied. Then the Lord your God will bless you in all your work.

Deuteronomy 26:12

12 “Every third year you must offer a special tithe of your crops. In this year of the special tithe you must give your tithes to the Levites, foreigners, orphans, and widows, so that they will have enough to eat in your towns
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by nuella2(f): 10:46am On Feb 09, 2011
@Yommyuk

I am sending you e- breakfast. Make you just dey jolly for this thread.
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Demainman1: 10:49am On Feb 09, 2011
This joagbaje knows how to distort the bible no be small.

Infact, for him ''It is better to receive than to give'' !
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by KunleOshob(m): 11:08am On Feb 09, 2011
@deman man
That is the only thing they excell in in christ embassy, distorting the bible for the sake of filthy personal gain.
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Joagbaje(m): 11:11am On Feb 09, 2011
KunleOshob:

Oga why do you love distorting scriptures becos of your greed, you call yourself a pastor

Mr hungry lecturer, I didn't  call myself a pastor .

you claim tithes are not to be given to widows even when the bible clearly states so abi the following passges are missing from your bible.

There are different tithes just as there are different sabbaths. There main yearly tithe is taken to the priest in the temple. But there's a special tithes that is eaten and shared with the poor. This special one is done every three years . I have mention this several times on this forum.
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Zikkyy(m): 12:56pm On Feb 09, 2011
Joagbaje:

Tithes are to be given to God and not to widows

Is the tithe sent directly to heaven? So giving to widow (including orphanage, the aged e.t.c) is not giving to God? According to you Joagbaje, the only act that represents giving to God is giving to the pastor. You are telling us here that God does not recognize other forms of giving abi angry

Joagbaje:

the ministers of God prays over them Because of the anointing in their office. Abraham didn't give his tithe to widows, he gave it to a minister. And the minister by the anointing blessed him

8 And the Lord spake unto Aaron, Behold, I also have given thee the charge of mine heave offerings of all the hallowed things of the children of Israel; unto thee have I given them by reason of the anointing,

Aaron and his children received the anointing to function as high priest, and the tithe was not given to them (they received the tithe of tithes instead). The families that received the tithe were temple workers; assistants to the priest. So what are you saying?
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by KunleOshob(m): 1:18pm On Feb 09, 2011
@joagbaje
What hubris are you ranting above? Quote scriptures to support it. According to Deut 14 :22 the yearly tithe should be eaten by the tither and his family in the presence of God. Verse 28 & 29 of the same chapter later says the once in three year tithe is for levites including orphans and widows. This is without recourse to the fact we all know for a fact that the type of tithes preached and practised is not the biblical type but a fraudulently manipulated man made version.
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Azibalua(f): 3:14pm On Feb 09, 2011
Zikkyy:

And who told you Melchizedek lives forever? your pastor? abeg stop this nonsense angry I can see you chose to abadon Christ and subject yourself to Melchizedek priesthood. Melchizedek is now your high priest, good for you.

What were you told, that he died?
Hmmmm so when did he die and where pls.
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by KunleOshob(m): 3:24pm On Feb 09, 2011
@Azibaula
If he[melchizedek] is still alive, can you tell us were we can find him? I am sure his views would be invaluable on this tithing racket since you guys love to use his one off example to justify the racket.
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Nobody: 3:29pm On Feb 09, 2011
There are different tithes just as there are different sabbaths. There main yearly tithe is taken to the priest in the temple. But there's a special tithes that is eaten and shared with the poor. This special one is done every three years . I have mention this several times on this forum

Why do you speciallize in distorting the scriptures.

The law of tithes was so explicit in det 14:22-29

22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always. 24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the LORD your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the LORD will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the LORD your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the LORD your God and rejoice. 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.   28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands. AMEN

The annual tithe was to be eaten by the tither and his family while the levithical tithe was to be paid once every three years.

Today's pastors without recourse to the scriptures have unbiblically arrogated to themselves the right to recive tithe at the end of every month even though they are  not descended from the jewish tribe of levi
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by PastorAIO: 3:42pm On Feb 09, 2011
Joagbaje:

So how does one give to God. May I suggest a study of these verses:

Matthew 25:41-46

"Then the king will say to those bad people on his left, 'Go away from me. God has already decided that you will be punished. Go into the fire that burns forever. That fire was prepared for the devil and his angels. You must go away, because I was hungry, and you gave me nothing to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me nothing to drink. I was alone and away from home, and you did not invite me into your home. I was without clothes, and you gave me nothing to wear. I was sick and in prison, and you did not care for me.' "Then those people will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty? When did we see you alone and away from home? Or when did we see you without clothes or sick or in prison? When did we see these things and not help you?' "Then the king will answer, 'I tell you the truth. Anything you refused to do for any of my people here, you refused to do for me.' "Then those bad people will go away. They will have punishment forever. But the good people will go and have life forever."
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by PastorAIO: 3:51pm On Feb 09, 2011
Joagbaje:

What exactly happened to the tithe that Abraham gave to Melchizedek? Why did Melchizedek bring out bread and wine? For decoration?

23That I will not take from a thread even to a shoelatchet, and that I will not take any thing that is thine, lest thou shouldest say, I have made Abram rich: 24Save only that which the young men have eaten, and the portion of the men which went with me, Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their portion.

What happened to the tithe that abraham gave melchizedek, I ask again? Remember that Abraham returned all of the loot that he got from the war except what was eaten and the spoils that belonged to his lieutenants. He didn't say I can only give you 90per cent back cos I've tithed the rest.
He said I can only give you (90%) what is left cos the guys have eaten 10 per cent of it. It doesn't say 10 per cent explicitly but if they guys have just tithed and in the same breath we are told that they have just eaten, and we know that tithe is meant to be eaten then I can only assume that the food that they had just eaten was the tithe.
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Azibalua(f): 3:59pm On Feb 09, 2011
what point are u ttrying to make? are today's pastors levites?why should they be entitled to tithes?

Pastors are not Levites, the levitical priesthood ended with the resurrection of christ.

the jewish law of tithes stipulates that levithical tithes should be paid once every three years ,why do you want to change the frequency  by your self besides am yet to see any pastor in Nigeria claiming descent from the jewish tribe of levi.

Tithing has nothing to do with the law as I earlier stated,taking an example from the patriarch Abraham, he gave a tithe of all he had gotten from his victory,it was not a seasonal event,it was based on what he got

Genesis 14:17-20
17 After his[ Abram's] return from the defeat and slaying of Chedorlaomer and the kings who were with him, the king of Sodom went out to meet him at the Valley of Shaveh, that is, the King's Valley. 18 Melchizedek king of Salem[ later called Jerusalem] brought out bread and wine[ for their nourishment]; he was the priest of God Most High, 19 And he blessed him and said, Blessed( favored with blessings, made blissful, joyful) be Abram by God Most High, Possessor and Maker of heaven and earth, 20 And blessed, praised, and glorified be God Most High, Who has given your foes into your hand! And[ Abram] gave him a tenth of all[ he had taken]. 

Even how many times did Abraham pay tithes to melchizedek ? Did melchizedek demand tithes from him?Abrahanm's tithes was paid just once and done out of his own volition.

Na wá oh,even common sense should tell you that when you do things right consistently you will not need to be reminded,it is only when you err,that you will need to be called back to order.

Apostle paul choose to give up this right of RECIEVING hence following Matthew 23;23 that loving others as one of the most important principles in life. He did this by not focusing on what is best of HIM, but on what is "BEST FOR OTHERS".  This principle is based on PASTOR - TO MEMBERS and must be applied appropriately
Why can't your greedy pastors do likewise.

I know a lot of pastors who have sacrificed all they have to ensure that their members have,I know of pastors who are involved with setting up businesses for their members,I know of pastors who empty their pockets totally for others .I can say so much more.
But this does not take the place of them telling the members the truth,it's rather an action based on the word that we must do good to all especially to those of the household of faith
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by KunleOshob(m): 4:00pm On Feb 09, 2011
Awwww my fa?ourite pastor, Pastor AIO is back. Where have you been? Thought you abandoned the forum anyways welcome back. As you can see not much as changed since you left your fellow pastor joagbaje is still at his best gleefully twisting and manipulating scriptures for the sake of his hungry belly.
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Azibalua(f): 4:04pm On Feb 09, 2011
KunleOshob:

@Azibaula
If he[melchizedek] is still alive, can you tell us were we can find him? I am sure his views would be invaluable on this tithing racket since you guys love to use his one off example to justify the racket.

Ye pls am sure his views will not be biased like yours,
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Zikkyy(m): 4:26pm On Feb 09, 2011
Azibalua:

What were you told, that he died?
Hmmmm so when did he die and where pls.

KunleOshob:

@Azibaula

grin grin grin Thank you.

Madam Azibalua, where is Melchizedek? you have to produce him ooh angry
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Nobody: 4:32pm On Feb 09, 2011
Tithing has nothing to do with the law as I earlier stated,taking an example from the patriarch Abraham, he gave a tithe of all he had gotten from his victory,it was not a seasonal event,it was based on what he got

Could you please adduce any scriptural basis for the boldened portion.

Na wá oh,even common sense should tell you that when you do things right consistently you will not need to be reminded,it is only when you err,that you will need to be called back to order.

I don't go by common sense but rather by scriptural injunctions.Sice you say we are practising the melchizedic tithe and not the levithical tithe could you lease from the scripture

Show me how often this tithe should be paid.

Who melchizedec delegated to receive this tithes from him.

How did the early christians practise this form of tithing
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by PastorAIO: 5:31pm On Feb 09, 2011
KunleOshob:

Awwww my fa?ourite pastor, Pastor AIO is back. Where have you been? Thought you abandoned the forum anyways welcome back. As you can see not much as changed since you left your fellow pastor joagbaje is still at his best gleefully twisting and manipulating scriptures for the sake of his hungry belly.

I got banned when I tried to start up a new thread, so I took that as a sign that it was time for me to go anyway. I was surprised to find that myself unbanned, but anyway sha, I was just passing by. I leave nairaland in your capable hands. Don't let them rest, all these twisters of tithes etc.
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Azibalua(f): 5:35pm On Feb 09, 2011
Hebrews 7:6-8
6 This man, however, did not trace his descent from Levi, yet he collected a tenth from Abraham and blessed him who had the promises. 7 And without doubt the lesser person is blessed by the greater. 8 In the one case, the tenth is collected by men who die; but in the other case, by him who is declared to be living.
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Nobody: 5:45pm On Feb 09, 2011
6 This man, however, did not trace his descent from Levi, yet he collected a tenth from Abraham and blessed him who had the promises. 7 And without doubt the lesser person is blessed by the greater. 8 In the one case, the tenth is collected by men who die; but in the other case, by him who is declared to be living.

How does this answer any of my questions? were did melchizedek say any one coud receive tithes on his behalf? How often should this tithes be paid ? kindly provide biblical answers for the above questions
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Joagbaje(m): 6:17pm On Feb 09, 2011
We don't tithe because the law say so. But because tithes are based in principles of faith in God. The principles of God are universal. But come to think of it, o, Is it not ironical, for those who believe that the law is obsolete to be judging Christian givings by the law? grin
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Zikkyy(m): 6:17pm On Feb 09, 2011
Azibalua:

Madam Azibalua, this na 'wayo'  angry come back and explain your post here. The alternative is to tell us where to find Melchizedek  angry
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Zikkyy(m): 6:24pm On Feb 09, 2011
Joagbaje:

We don't tithe because the law say so. But because tithes are based in principles of faith in God. The principles of God are universal. But come to think of it, o, Is it not ironical, for those who believe that the law is obsolete to be judging Christian givings by the law? grin

Oga, we dont want 'spammers' on this thread angry
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by newmi(m): 6:34pm On Feb 09, 2011
@Joagbaje
Joagbaje:

. But come to think of it, o, Is it not ironical, for those who believe that the law is obsolete to be judging Christian givings by the law? grin

That's makes some sense grin . It's like someone who says it's wrong for us to wear  clothes since we were created naked and if anyone must be clothed , they should wear goat skin. Because God gave adam goat skin to wear so therefore any one who must wear clothes must follow Adam style of fashion !
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Azibalua(f): 6:49pm On Feb 09, 2011
chukwudi44:

How does this answer any of my questions? were did melchizedek say any one coud receive tithes on his behalf? How often should this tithes be paid ? kindly provide biblical answers for the above questions
[bros read your bible,if you have one
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by KunleOshob(m): 6:54pm On Feb 09, 2011
@Azibalua
Answer him if you have any biblical answer and stop evading the question ye generation of vipers.
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Azibalua(f): 9:01pm On Feb 09, 2011
Are you trying to say christ is not our high priest according to the order of Melchizedek?
How often do you receive?
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Zikkyy(m): 9:32pm On Feb 09, 2011
Azibalua:

Are you trying to say christ is not our high priest according to the order of Melchizedek?
How often do you receive?

The order of Melchizedek does not equate to Melchizedek the priest. i.e. it is not about (the man) Melchizedek priestly activities. You don dey take style look for emergency exit. Na you talk say the man dey alive abi? You no dey go anywhere till you tell me where to find Melchizedek  angry respond to chukwudi44 request as well, before you run away angry
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by GoodBoi1(m): 5:07am On Feb 10, 2011
Hebrews 7:15-17 (God's Word Translation)
The regulations were different. This became clear when a different priest who is like Melchizedek appeared. 16 That person is a priest, not because he met human requirements, but because he has power that comes from a life that cannot be destroyed. The Scriptures say the following about him: " You are a priest forever, in the way Melchizedek was a priest."

Paul even went further to reveal  the person: Christ as the new priest.
Now the question is  Are we to tithe to this new priest  under a new dispensation  ? Should we tithe according to the law?
Let's see what this "new priest" said about giving to him,

Matthew 25:40
, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto the least of these my brethen, ye have done it unto me.

In so doing, you reflect the love of God in you.
This does not mean that one shouldn't support the church. Since we are nourished spiritually in the church, we should reciprocate by offering our substances.
(It is obvious, from the bible, that pastors have rights , but  not very consistent with the law just as Jesus' Matthew 5 teaching wasn't)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dear Nairalanders; I Am Not An Atheist. / Was This The Family That Invented Jesus? / Was Mary Both The Mother Of Jesus And The Sister Of Aaron?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.