Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,141 members, 7,860,106 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 05:32 AM

Why Tithes Are Important - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Tithes Are Important (5311 Views)

People Who Pay Tithes Are Continually Been Scamed. / Pastors Collecting Tithes Are Robbers And David Did Not Kill Goliath - Aribisala / Tithes - Are Pastors Frightened That If Christians Don't Fear They Will Not Pay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Enigma(m): 7:47am On Feb 10, 2011
Joagbaje:

Tithes are to be given to God and not to widows, the ministers of God prays over them Because of the anointing in their office. Abraham didn't give his tithe to widows, he gave it to a minister. And the minister by the anointing blessed him

The above is the message of thieves and robbers who do not have the fear of God in them, and who are very ready to contradict the words of God and the words of Christ; and why would a person so wantonly go against the teachings of Christ unless the person is being led by the spirit of anti-Christ?
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Joagbaje(m): 8:32am On Feb 10, 2011
So which which widow did Abraham give his tithe to? grin
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Nobody: 3:36pm On Feb 10, 2011
Abraham's tithe to melchizedec was a one off event which was never repeated anywhere in the bible.That does not mean to say Abraham never helped widows in his life time afterall it was his kindness to strangers that gave him a son
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by mabell: 7:06pm On Feb 10, 2011
chukwudi44:

Abraham's tithe to melchizedec was a one off event which was never repeated anywhere in the bible.That does not mean to say Abraham never helped widows in his life time afterall it was his kindness to strangers that gave him a son

like joagbaje said, did he give his tithe to any widow
im interested in your opinion
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by KunleOshob(m): 7:14pm On Feb 10, 2011
Joagbaje:

So which which widow did Abraham give his tithe to? grin

mabell:

like joagbaje said, did he give his tithe to any widow
im interested in your opinion

How does that concern us Is there anywhere in the bible we are asked to exemplify Abraham's one off tithe? Abraham gave his tithe to the King of Salem, are you giving your tithes to a king as well or you are manipulating Abraham's tithe for the sake of filthy lucre?
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by mabell: 9:08pm On Feb 10, 2011
KunleOshob:

How does that concern us Is there anywhere in the bible we are asked to exemplify Abraham's one off tithe? Abraham gave his tithe to the King of Salem, are you giving your tithes to a king as well or you are manipulating Abraham's tithe for the sake of filthy lucre?

are you saying tithes should not be given in church?
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Azibalua(f): 11:21pm On Feb 10, 2011
@ Kunle

how does that concern us  Is there anywhere in the bible we are asked to exemplify Abraham's one off tithe? Abraham gave his tithe to the King of Salem, are you giving your tithes to a king as well or you are manipulating Abraham's tithe for the sake of filthy lucre?

Don't run away,answer the question
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by KunleOshob(m): 7:10am On Feb 11, 2011
^^^
If you can ccomprehend english, you would realize from what I wrote that the daft question is not relevant to the topic as Abraham's one off tithes has absolutely nothing to do with the man made version being promoted in churches today.
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Nobody: 9:44am On Feb 11, 2011
Don't run away,answer the question

Hypocrite did you anwer the one I asked you.?

For the record Abraham paid tithe just once in his lifetime and that was to melchizedec.There is nowhere in the bible it was instructed that that tithe should be repeated.

If you still want to practice the melchizedec tithe ,you can go ahead and fight war in your village seize spoils and go ahead to give a tenth of the spoils to melchizedec if you can still find him
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by mabell: 1:05pm On Feb 11, 2011
chukwudi44:

Hypocrite did you anwer the one I asked you.?
For the record Abraham paid tithe just once in his lifetime and that was to melchizedec.There is nowhere in the bible it was instructed that that tithe should be repeated.
If you still want to practice the melchizedec tithe ,you can go ahead and fight war in your village seize spoils and go ahead to give a tenth of the spoils to melchizedec if you can still find him

I want to be clear on sth, you agree to tithing but you say it should be once? Yes or No
Then what are your reasons scripturally, just answer
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by away4real(m): 3:15pm On Feb 11, 2011
I dont get this one also, might be a bit biased here since I am a tither but somethin to note is that when it gets to this issue, I am told over and over again that it is of the OLD TESTAMENT.

But again, the same crusaders that say this, quote the OLD TESTAMENT to justify other issues,

I understand the two divides and the issues clearly, but hey how can it be that Christ died to deliver us and it was actualy for freedom that he died so hence the concpt of the free will giving, but in the context of the free will if I choose with all my heart that it should be 10% or better still I choose to tithe, cos I believe I should, since I am not fully persuaded not to,   does it not boil down to be fully persuaded in your spirit", I dare say (might be wrong and not afraid to) that God wants some of to be tithers and some as not , is it really relevant to him in the grand scheme,

Keep on the debates if you choose, but note it wont end.  smiley

Shallom
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Nobody: 3:22pm On Feb 11, 2011
I want to be clear on sth, you agree to tithing but you say it should be once? Yes or No
Then what are your reasons scripturally, just answer

If a man voluntarily decides to contribute 10% of his income to anybody ,who are my to  question that?

But If that decision is based on misinformation or threats of curse then I have every  right to educate him on that.

It is simply 419 to tell people that God asked them to pay money to you when there is no such directive in the bible.
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by away4real(m): 3:25pm On Feb 11, 2011
chukwudi44:

If a man voluntarily decides to contribute 10% of his income to anybody ,who are my to question that?

But If that decision is based on misinformation or threats of curse then I have every right to educate him on that.

It is simply 419 to tell people that God asked them to pay money to you when there is no such directive in the bible.

Ok so your fight is to redeem the misinformed, alleluia, misinformed take heed to the gospel of chukwudi44
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by mabell: 10:29pm On Feb 11, 2011
@away4real
maybe the book of chukwudi chapter 4 verse 4 would be better

chukwudi44:

If a man voluntarily decides to contribute 10% of his income to anybody ,who are my to  question that?
But If that decision is based on misinformation or threats of curse then I have every  right to educate him on that.

who is the mis informed, if a man is misinformed about the scriptures, maybe it's his fault cos he has the scripture to study for himself

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
(KJV)
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by yommyuk: 11:14pm On Feb 11, 2011
Tithes are to be given to God and not to widows, the ministers of God prays over them Because of the anointing in their office. Abraham didn't give his tithe to widows, he gave it to a minister. And the minister by the anointing blessed him

I get your point but let me make it a lot more clearer to you.

Numbers 18:8
8 And the Lord spake unto Aaron, Behold, I also have given thee the charge of mine heave offerings of all the hallowed things of the children of Israel; unto thee have I given them by reason of the anointing,

Heave offerings = Holy offerings
Numbers 18:9
"You are allotted the PORTION(fraction, part, share) of the most holy offerings that is not burned on the fire. This portion of all the most holy offerings - including the grain offering, sin offering and guilt offering will be most holy and it belongs to you and your sons"

Meaning they are only entitled to a portion of the whole offering. Where does the rest go? Is God going to come down and take it? Nay. What are the other most important aspects of the Law that Jesus Christ was referring to in Matthew 23:23. "Love" isn't it?

I have got a question for u?

what will you do if you have only N10000 and you see a brethen who is hungry or can't pay for his medication to get better, will you choose to pay your tithe while the brethen needs your help? Let us not forget the parable of the good SAMARITAN.

Matthew 6:4
Give your gifts in private, and your Father, who sees everything, will REWARD YOU"
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by yommyuk: 11:45pm On Feb 11, 2011
If a man voluntarily decides to contribute 10% of his income to anybody ,who are my to  question that?

True Word! cool. Let us be

But If that decision is based on misinformation or threats of curse then I have every  right to educate him on that.
True Word cool
You must be made AWARE of your duty, but I agree, THREATS, BLACKMAILING should not be allowed.

Lev 18:23-24
"Only the Levites may serve at the Tebernacle, and they will be held responsible  for any offences against it(If your pastor does not make you aware of your duties, the offence will be his) This is a permanent law for you, to be observed from generation to generation(the Law has not changed). The Levites will recieve no allotment of land among the Israelites (HABA how will they eat?)------>>> because I(GOD) have given them the Israelites tithes, which has been presented as sacred offerings to the Lord. This will be the Levites share. (why?) That is why I (GOD) said they would receive no allotment of land among the Israelites"

CONTROVERSY cool

Are this so called MEN OF GOD who have other business interest  entitled to our tithes? lipsrsealed

Depends on their vision for the gospel of christ. OR
I would rather give to the poor cool
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by yommyuk: 11:51pm On Feb 11, 2011
@Jo

So which which widow did Abraham give his tithe to?
We are not to follow Abraham but CHRIST wink
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by yommyuk: 12:03am On Feb 12, 2011
Ok so your fight is to redeem the misinformed, alleluia, misinformed take heed to the gospel of chukwudi44

That is why it is a good thing to meditate on the WORD OF GOD

Psalm 43:3-4
Send out your light and your truth; let them guide me. Let them lead me to your holy mountain, to the place where you live.
There I will go to the altar of God, to God - the source of all my Joy. I will praise you with my harp. O GOD, MY GOD cheesy

That is why it is crucial for a believer to go to a church where "GOD'S HOLY PRESENCE" is among his people -- HALLELUYAH AND AMEN TO THAT cheesy wink
Any so called temple were the FLESH has taken over the things of the SPIRIT should be AVOIDED.
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Nobody: 12:59pm On Feb 12, 2011
Lev 18:23-24
"[
b]Only the Levites [/b] may serve at the Tebernacle, and they will be held responsible for any offences against it(If your pastor does not make you aware of your duties, the offence will be his) This is a permanent law for you, to be observed from generation to generation(the Law has not changed). The Levites will recieve no allotment of land among the Israelites (HABA how will they eat?)------>>> because I(GOD) have given them the Israelites tithes, which has been presented as sacred offerings to the Lord. This will be the Levites share. (why?) That is why I (GOD) said they would receive no allotment of land among the Israelites"

First and foremiost I beg to disagree on your assertion that the law has not changed.The jewish laws including tithes were nailed to the cross of calvary on good friday 33 CE,this now opened the way for salvation through the grace obtained by our Lord Jesus.

If you still insist on obeying the jewish law of tithes,just as you highlighted applied just to levites which am yet to see any pastor claiming descent from the jewish tribe of levi.But be warned as the apostle Paul says in Galations 3;10

Galatians 3:10-14 (New International Version, ©2010)

10 For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.”[a] 11 Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because “the righteous will live by faith.” 12 The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, it says, “The person who does these things will live by them.”[c] 13 [b]Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole.”[d] 14 He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.

Galatians 5:2-5 (New International Version, ©2010)

2 Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3 Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4 You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. 5 For through the Spirit we eagerly await by faith the righteousness for which we hope.
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by harakiri(m): 2:21pm On Feb 12, 2011
Tithes are important because "men of god" must get paid 4 their services e.g selling false hopes of miracles,blessing and divine intervention in exchange 4 ur tithes,offerings,vows,building donation and of recent. . . the controversial "FIRST FRUITS"! It's a business and a business cannot grow without profits/turnover. That is why Chris Oyaks can confidently demand for N1,000 gate fee under d guise of "crowd control". I like the man for one thing : He knows how to milk his mugus. Indeed, religious thieves and scammers a.k.a men of god NEVER LACK! When will my people removes the scales from their eyes?
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by yommyuk: 4:37pm On Feb 13, 2011
The jewish laws including tithes were nailed to the cross of calvary on good friday 33 CE,this now opened the way for salvation through the grace obtained by our Lord Jesus.
cool

10 For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.”[a] 11 Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because “the righteous will live by faith.” 12 The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, it says, “The person who does these things will live by them.”[c] 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole.”[d] 14 He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.

Galatians 3:10-14 that you quoted is good but your interpretation and application of it is not good enough.
Let's go back to the same Galatians 3:2
[b]"Let me ask you this one question; Did you recieve the Holy Spirit by obeying the law of Moses? Of course not! You recieved the Holy Spirit because you believed the message you heard about Christ"

There is a difference b/w "Obeying" and "Believing". That is the point that Apostle Paul was putting across to the GALATIANS.

To Obey: Do as you are told, comply, observe and to conform – no matter what

To believe: Consider, to trust, and accept as true and have no doubt about it

Most of them obeyed the law of Moses either thru fear, custom and tradition, or as a way of being made right with God. Did they really know why God gave them the law? was it to punished them? of course not, it is because God loves them and did not want them to perish.

Secondly Galstians 3 was not about tithes, but CIRCUMCISION. The Jews of Paul's day did not have an issue with the Galatians paying their tithe, likewise Paul. So please brethen, don't try and cover up your misdeeds by quoting a scripture that is not relevant to the issue at hand.

2 Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3 Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4 You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. 5 For through the Spirit we eagerly await by faith the righteousness for which we hope.
CIRCUMCISION,NOT ABOUT TITHES. Try harder bro cool
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by yommyuk: 4:47pm On Feb 13, 2011
Posted by: harakiri
Insert Quote
Tithes are important because "men of god" must get paid 4 their services e.g selling false hopes of miracles,blessing and divine intervention in exchange 4 your tithes,offerings,vows,building donation and of recent. . . the controversial "FIRST FRUITS"! It's a business and a business cannot grow without profits/turnover. That is why Chris Oyaks can confidently demand for N1,000 gate fee under d guise of "crowd control". I like the man for one thing : He knows how to milk his mugus. Indeed, religious thieves and scammers a.k.a men of god NEVER LACK! When will my people removes the scales from their eyes?

Luke 10:7
Don't move around from home to home. Stay in one place, eating and drinking what THEY provide. Don't hesitate to ACCEPT HOSPITALITY(generosity), because those who work deserve their PAY"
These are the Words of CHRIST cool

The colored "Green" above
hmmmm, Let God be the Judge of that
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by PastorB1: 5:25pm On Feb 13, 2011
As a Pastor i feel that we should exegete the hebrew scriptures with caution, New and Old Testament are not the same and the legal text involved also differ, we cannot keep on living in Old and New Testament if it pleases us or we need to gain.

We should be ashamed of supporting statements that are not even even biblical correct, people have turned to be Priests to receive tithes if you do one law do all why we only chose tithe and i hardly hear Pastors say that they teach about Alter Sacrifice because Exegeting Hebrew Scriptures Deuteronomy and Leveticus this are laws of old and Tithe was never money money but agrarian though money was used in those days, Priest would give back the agricultural products to be sold and enjoyed by the family in a holiday those who receive tithes i hardly hear them say to church members in December come and receive some of your tithe portion for holiday

We are not Exegeting or drawing correctly from the scriptures, New Testament bring modification to many laws Matthew 5,6. Todays Christianity still resemble same qualities like those of vipers the Pharisees and Scribes. We use scriptures wrong to gain and not to profit the body of Christ.

I stand for the truth let us not  mislead people, prior dialogue or discussion about the God's Doctrine and principles let us do research, we are confusing the body of christ

The Jewish people have culture and what about us as Christians we are just confused, the other time we are Jewish on the other time we are New testament christians.

"Berachot Shalom"
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by KunleOshob(m): 5:28pm On Feb 13, 2011
yommyuk:

Secondly Galstians 3 was not about tithes, but CIRCUMCISION. The Jews of Paul's day did not have an issue with the Galatians paying their tithe, likewise Paul. So please brethen, don't try and cover up your misdeeds by quoting a scripture that is not relevant to the issue at hand.
CIRCUMCISION,NOT ABOUT TITHES. Try harder bro cool

Neither the galatians nor any of the early christian church paid tithes as it was not part of the apostolic teachings handed down by the disciples. The only people that tithed in those days were the Jews and they tithed based on their agricultural produce and not their income. Yes Galatians 3 was not about tithes but the principle can also be applied to tithes since mandatory tithes is of the law and it is that same outlawed mandatory tithes that is still being used to deceive christians 2000 years after it was nailed to the cross and declared illegal. The fact still remains that the early church NEVER taught tithes it was introduced to christianity hundreds of years later through manipulation of obsolete old testament texts so it cannot be the will of God. That aside the scriptures in Hebrew 7:5-19 makes it crystal clear that tithing as been done away with becos it was a weak, useless and unprofitable law. Christians are not meant to tithe shikena.!!!!
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by newmi(m): 9:43pm On Feb 13, 2011
^^^^^^
Christian tithing is not based on the law young man. Tithing precede the law. So the abolishment of the law is inconsequetial.
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by yommyuk: 9:46pm On Feb 13, 2011
That aside the scriptures in Hebrew 7:5-19 makes it crystal clear that tithing as been done away with becos it was a weak, useless and unprofitable law. Christians are not meant to tithe shikena.!!!

Hebrew 7:5-19
[b]Now the law requires the descendants of Levi who become priests to collect a tenth from the people—that is, from their fellow Israelites—even though they also are descended from Abraham. 6 This man, however, did not trace his descent from Levi, yet he collected a tenth from Abraham and blessed him who had the promises. 7 And without doubt the lesser is blessed by the greater. 8 In the one case, the tenth is collected by people who die; but in the other case, by him who is declared to be living. 9 One might even say that Levi, who collects the tenth, paid the tenth through Abraham, 10 because when Melchizedek met Abraham, Levi was still in the body of his ancestor.
11 If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood—and indeed the law given to the people established that priesthood—why was there still need for another priest to come, one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron? 12 For when the priesthood is changed, the law must be changed also. 13 He of whom these things are said belonged to a different tribe, and no one from that tribe has ever served at the altar. 14 For it is clear that our Lord descended from Judah, and in regard to that tribe Moses said nothing about priests. 15 And what we have said is even more clear if another priest like Melchizedek appears, 16 one who has become a priest not on the basis of a regulation as to his ancestry but on the basis of the power of an indestructible life. 17 For it is declared:
   “You are a priest forever,
   in the order of Melchizedek.”[a]

18 The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless 19 (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.[/b]

@Kunle

The above quote is another example where xtains misunderstand the Scripture hence leading to misinterpretation. Let me explain

The actual theme of "Hebrews 7 is not based on the issue of tithes but on the "Superiority of the Priesthood". It was about whose priesthood is more superior? Was it Melchlzedek's/Christ or Aaron/Levites?

Ok lets go to Verse 5

We are told that collecting the tithe was a requirement and an honor for the priest under the law of Moses from the rest of the people of Israel, (literally from their brothers) --> (Numbers 18:21-32)

But Melchlzedek who was not a descendant of Abraham/Levi collected a tithe from Abraham. He was not a Jew. Is tithing a Jewish tradition? The tithes were even offered before God made a formal covenant with Abraham. As at the time this tithe was offered the ancenstor of the Israelites was still called "ABRAM"

My point; Tithing is not a Jewish tradition but an act of worship to God that existed before Abraham or can I say the nation of Israel

Let's get back on track.

The law of Moses given to the Israelites did/will not change. What changed is the "Priesthood" and "The law that governs its appointment.

Hebrew 7:12-14
12 For when the priesthood is changed, the law must be changed also. 13 He of whom these things are said belonged to a different tribe, and no one from that tribe has ever served at the altar. 14 For it is clear that our Lord descended from Judah, and in regard to that tribe Moses said nothing about priests.

The law of Moses implied that the priest must come from the descendants of Aaron (The tribe of Levites), But that law changed because Jesus Christ became the Eternal priest who came from the tribe of Judah.

Hebrews 7:15-16
And what we have said is even more clear if another priest like Melchizedek appears, 16 one who has become a priest not on the basis of a regulation as to his ANCESTRY but on the basis of the power of an indestructible life.
Amen cheesy

In Numbers 18, the levites were required to tithe on what they recieved from the people to God. Now Jesus Christ is the one whom God had given all authority and  right to receive the tithe.

Haba bros, give me another quote cool

I understand that a lot of crooks are out there, collecting tithes from the masses for their own personal gain. However the action of some should not abolish the requirement to tithe.

The issue of where do we pay our tithes is another topic. Likewise there are more important issues facing the church than tithes -->> Matthew 23:23
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by newmi(m): 10:00pm On Feb 13, 2011
Kunleoshob,
Which one is this pastor B again?
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by mabell: 10:47pm On Feb 13, 2011
newmi:

Kunleoshob,
Which one is this pastor B again?

OMG! you don't say
Ah but na wa o kunle, are u that desperate?
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by KunleOshob(m): 8:58am On Feb 14, 2011
yommyuk:

In Numbers 18, the levites were required to tithe on what they recieved from the people to God. Now Jesus Christ is the one whom God had given all authority and right to receive the tithe. Haba bros, give me another quote cool

I understand that a lot of crooks are out there, collecting tithes from the masses for their own personal gain. However the action of some should not abolish the requirement to tithe.

The issue of where do we pay our tithes is another topic. Likewise there are more important issues facing the church than tithes -->> Matthew 23:23

The highlighted above is a lie from the darkest pit of hell an i challenge tyou to provide scriptural backing for that heresy you posted. Jesus christ is not a tithe collector, he NEVER collected tithes neither did any of his apostles whom he mandated to establish the christian faith. Tithing was never a part of christianity in the early church but was only introduced in 585 AD by the catholic church, even then it was in agricultural produce form. Monetary tithes from income is a mordern day invention and it began as recently as 1870 so don't come and twist scriptures here to justify this evil act. Besides if you want to give to Jesus the only way Jesus asked we give to him is to give to the poor and the needy [Matthew 24:31-40] he never even asked, taught or encouraged people to give to his ministry. So if you believe Jesus requires your tithes which he does not, the appropriate thing to do is to give it to those christ athurized to receive on his behalf and that is the poor and the needy and not some manipulative church.
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by Zikkyy(m): 9:15am On Feb 14, 2011
yommyuk:

In Numbers 18, the levites were required to tithe on what they recieved from the people to God. Now Jesus Christ is the one whom God had given all authority and right to receive the tithe.

When? Where? How? shocked Christ is now a tithe collector. haba yommy, take am easy abeg you sad

yommyuk:

In Numbers 18, the levites were required to tithe on what they recieved from the people to God. Now Jesus Christ is the one whom God had given all authority and right to receive the tithe.

Thank God you said 'Levites' cheesy You have some serious work convincing the Levites to send their tithe to Christ wink i wonder how they are going to achieve that.
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by nuclearboy(m): 9:53pm On Feb 14, 2011
@Kunle & Zikky:

Let us for even one moment imagine that though Christ never collected tithes, His being our high priest and therefore a form of levite requires that tithes be paid to Him.

We know that in the OT, tithes belonged to Levite, widow, needy and stranger and they used them for their enjoyment since it was their God given right.

Christ has in His Own Dispensation told us what His enjoyment is - Give it to me! And He says to give Him, give to the poor and needy. That is how Christ says it gets to Him.

So whats the controversy about? Let the cunning MOGs devise plans around something else but if anyone wishes to pay tithe, it should be as the owner has demanded which is by giving to the needy. If that needy is a pastor, fine! If it is an Orphan, fine! If it is someone temporarily hard up, fine! But nobody can justify giving Billions to a few people. Even Aaron was not regarded a special person cash-wise. And Christ also was not so these criminals resemble neither Aaron or Christ and those are the only two dispensations till date. These are just mainly lazy people
Re: Why Tithes Are Important by yommyuk: 10:40pm On Feb 14, 2011
The highlighted above is a lie from the darkest pit of hell an i challenge tyou to provide scriptural backing for that heresy you posted. Jesus christ is not a tithe collector, he NEVER collected tithes neither did any of his apostles whom he mandated to establish the christian faith.

Haba, who is talking about Jesus being a tithe collector Na wa o!  I beg @Kunle give me a break sad

Matthew 25:37-40
Then these righteous ones will reply, 'Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?

And the King will say, 'I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!

Was Jesus physically there to collect or recieve the goodwill stated above? The same can be applied to tithes. Ultimately, Christ is the end "Recipient".

Tithing was never a part of christianity in the early church but was only introduced in 585 AD by the catholic church, even then it was in agricultural produce form. Monetary tithes from income is a mordern day invention and it began as recently as 1870 so don't come and twist scriptures here to justify this evil act.

Wrong! Are u saying that a Christian should not tithe in Church?

1 Corin 16:1-2
1Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
2Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

2 Corin 9:7
So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.

It is not by force, but if you are a true believe and you attend church, why not? If you cannot afford it, fair play.
That is why Apostle James said in James 1;5 "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him."

It is wise to give/tithe in the church you attend. If you purpose in your hearth that you want to give to the poor, Matthew 25:37-40 says "carry on" wink

2 Corin 9:12-15 tell us that there are 2 things that result from the act of giving/tithing

1. It will meet the needs of the believers
2. It will also show that our faith is genuine
3. and most importantly, it will honor God.

Besides if you want to give to Jesus the only way Jesus asked we give to him is to give to the poor and the needy [Matthew 24:31-40] he never even asked, taught or encouraged people to give to his ministry. So if you believe Jesus requires your tithes which he does not, the appropriate thing to do is to give it to those christ athurized to receive on his behalf and that is the poor and the needy and not some manipulative church.

Giving to the poor - yes, but even the poor who give/tithe are welcomed. Jesus Christ did not stop the widow from dropping the last 2 coins of money(Kodrantes) that she had into the temple's collection box. No one would have named a building after the widow for her gift of 2 small coins, but Jesus and his Father look at a person's heart. The widow was doing exactly what Jesus told the rich young ruler to do in Mark 10:21 which was to sell all and follow Jesus.

The first commandment said we are to love God with all our heart, all our soul, all our mind and all our strength. Who gives us the strength to get wealth(earn money).

Advice to you

9 Corin 9:13

As a result of your ministry (our giving to the church), they will give glory to God. For your generousity to them and to all believers will prove that you are OBEDIENT to the Good News of Christ.

RESULT

9 Corin 9:14
And they(pastors, priests, shepherds, MOGs and believers,Needy) will pray for you with deep affection because of the overflowing grace God has given you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Truth About Ruth The 'moabite'..grab Your Bibles / Going To Church For Years: Are You Growing Spiritually? / Dear Nairalanders; I Am Not An Atheist.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 168
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.