Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,196 members, 7,839,068 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

5gee's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 5gee's Profile / 5gee's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (of 7 pages)

Travel / Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by 5gee: 11:00am On May 05, 2020
Please permit me to weigh in on the issue of racism. I have lived in the UK for almost 10 years now. I have not experienced open racism. The most open, in my opinion has been people refusing to sit near me on trains unless it's a busy service, which I tend to like in the sense that I get to stretch my legs and wriggle around as I like.
What I can say is prevalent is institutional racism. In my opinion this is worse because it is hard to prove. If someone abuses you racially, you can reprt to the police and you will most certainly get justice if you have your evidence but in an institution when you are passed over for promotion or not given the raise you deserve then they can attribute several reasons to it. Sometimes you even question whether it is due to racism or something else. I have had my boss sing my praises to the high heavens but not matched that financially or even in sending me on training. A Nigeria I worked with kept saying the guy is a racist but I did not see reason. Eventually when it was time for redundancy, I was deemed not to have the required experience to work on the project available and so had to go. Mind you from day one in the company, I was doing the work of a senior and sometimes principal engineer even as a graduate and they were charging clients sometime about £80ph for my services while paying me as a graduate. All my appraisals were "exceeded expectation". Every year I will ask for training and be told either I "do not need it" or "there's not enough budget".
A friend of mine also told me about his experience at his company (A global renowned financial giant) where they had a ranking of performance of employees and consistently in the top 5 were at least 3 Nigerians but when it came to bonuses, they will give excuses on why they didn't get big bonuses, often saying although they did very well on the job but scored low when it came to behavioral aspect and people skills. What that effectively meant was that they either don't go out to eat with them or perhaps licked their asses. The Nigerian that did was rewarded. On one occasion, a person that reported to him was moved to another team as lead and bought back to his team to be his lead.
It is tough to accept sometimes. You see a lot of Nigerians as contractors in the UK, I believe it is mostly because they feel they have little chance of getting to the top management level and so going contract is the best way of making more money that they otherwise will not earn as staff and avoiding office politics altogether. Contractor - do your job, go home and you get paid your agreed rate, no need to bother about subjective appraisal. They will hire you because you know your job and when your contract ends, you move on o the next or if you have gathered enough money, start a business, buy properties, send your children to good schools, go on holidays.

jesmond3945:
Infact racism now is subtle and you can feel it if you work in a place where as a black man you are the minority. Racism can be structural, [b]look at what is happening in UK were BAME doctors making 21 percent have 72 percent mortality rate [/b]or America were balvks are more in prison.
Tribalism is different @ Kenn55. At least you can find your tribesman too to help you or there is your tribesman too who is tribalistic.
Someone talked about Adoke, each state in Nigeria has a Minister and must also be represented in various agencies so tribalists will favour almost every tribe in Nigeria.
On the issue of BAME doctors/health workers, I believe there are several contributory factors to the disproportionate number of deaths which may not necessarily be due to racism.
My theory is that
1. There are a higher proportion of BAME health workers in the NHS than White when compared to the population and these people are more likely to put their life on the line while on duty than their white counterparts. There were reports on some white doctors abandoning their jobs for fear og COVID-19.
2. Lifestyle - Our lifestyle, especially the food we eat is not healthy. An average Nigerian will want to eat eba and other starcy and oily food but not put in the corresponding exercise in to mitigate the effects. our forefathers ate these kinds of food because they lived an active life. They went to the farms and burn off all the excess calories and ate less processed food but we the younger ones just want to eat and sit behind a computer. The whites are generally careful about unhealthy diet and take exercise serious. In London during lunch time, I see a lot of white people jugging and rarely see blacks doing same (me inclusive).
There are other factors as well.

25 Likes 1 Share

Travel / Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 9:58am On Apr 15, 2020
Fashion / Re: ₦1.8Million: Handbag Made From Child's Spine, Alligator Tongue Up For Sale(Pic) by 5gee: 5:56pm On Apr 13, 2020
The maker does not seem to have any conscience. This is immoral in my opinion. We should not try to make money at any cost. I am sure some money bag will still buy it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Celebrities / Re: Funke Akindele, Husband Found Guilty, To Serve 14 Days Community Service by 5gee: 3:26pm On Apr 06, 2020
Nice one Lagos state government. Way to go.
Politics / Re: COVID-19: Buhari Approves Recruitment Of 774,000 Nigerians by 5gee: 3:20pm On Apr 06, 2020
Less than N77000 on average per person. The amount is too small except if they expect them to work for just 2 months. But I wonder what they'll achieve in that period.
Politics / Re: 3 Coronavirus Cases Linked To Governor El-Rufa’s Staff In Kaduna by 5gee: 9:56am On Apr 06, 2020
OBelz:

*Be calm and prepare rationally* and everything will be fine.

This is to inform us all that the pH for corona virus varies from 5.5 to 8.5.

All we need to do, to beat corona virus, we need to take more of an alkaline foods that are above the above pH level of the Virus.

Some of which are:
*Lemon - 9.9pH*
*Lime - 8.2pH*
*Avocado - 15.6pH*
*Garlic - 13.2pH*
*Mango - 8.7pH*
*Tangerine - 8.5pH*
*Pineapple - 12.7pH*
*Dandelion - 22.7pH*
*Orange - 9.2pH*

How do you know you have coronavirus?
1. *Itching in the throat,*
2. *Dry throat,*
3. *Dry cough.*
4. High temperature
5. Shortness of breath

So where you notice these things quickly take warm water with lemon and drink.

Do not keep this information to yourself only. Pass it to all your family and friends. God bless you.
Please stop spreading ignorance. How will taking these increase the pH of your blood and cells?
Politics / Re: 5G: Dino Melaye Says They Are Threatening Him by 5gee: 3:44pm On Apr 05, 2020
kemzy036:
“They said 5G is bigger than Presidents of nations, they threatened me to back off” - Senitor, Dino Melaye.

See what Dino wrote;

https://mobile.twitter.com/dino_melaye/status/1246788591084240897?s=19
To what end? who is he in the larger scheme of things related to global technology development and deployment?
He has just exposed how dumb he is and instead of backing down he is trying to fortify his position to his gullible followers.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Politics / Re: Nigerian Soldiers Hail Chadian Army On Their Way To Attack Boko Haram (Video) by 5gee: 3:03pm On Apr 05, 2020
DebbieBianca:
Here is a video footage showing the moment Nigerian Army was seen hailing Chadian's Army on their way to launch another attack on Boko Haram.

Watch The Video Below,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIUH0S9GOWE

https://mobile.twitter.com/HAHayatu/status/1246592984709238784
How do we know they are Nigerian soldiers?
Health / Re: 5G Network: Can It Cause Cancer or COVID-19? by 5gee: 2:01pm On Apr 05, 2020
mrphysics:
I went through this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/5774444/fact-check-coronavirus-caused-5g-technology by aminulive and while I appreciate what he has done, I think enough needs to be done to drive that point clearer to the Nigerian audience. However, my fear is that when scientist and health practitioners say something, most people, especially Nigerians will accept the ones coming from religious leaders.

I will try my best to explain in details what you should know about radiations.

Classifications of Radiations
They are two basic classification of radiations, they include:
1 Particle radiation: This contains charged and neutral particles
2. Electromagnetic radiation: (Photon flow. 5G belongs to this group.)

We can classify radiations according to their biological effects on matter, here, we have two types of radiations: Ionizing and non ionizing radiations.

You must have heard these two in recent times, so what is ionizing and non ionizing radiations?
a. Ionizing radiations: This means radiation have enough energy to eject one electron from the atom of the crossed material.
b. Non ionizing radiation: Particle energy is not enough to eject one electron from the atom, therefore it is said to have lower ionizing potential.

Great, let's advance further. The next question is, at what energy is a particle considered as ionizing? I won't waste much time here, so let's concentrate on 5G and their corresponding energy.

I am a graduate student of Nuclear Engineering. And in one of our course called Interaction of Radiation with Matter, we discussed everything about ionizing and non ionizing radiation.
Therefore, for tissues/matter consisting of Hydrogen, Carbon, Nitrogen, Oxygen (Which the human body fall under), radiations are considered as ionizing radiation if their energy is greater >> 12.4 eV (electron volt). The wavelength of such photon is 0.1um (micro meter). .

Using the relationship between energy and frequency, E = hf, I made a quick calculation and realized that the wavelength of such radiation must be 100nm (0.1um) and the frequency (Hz) is to the order of 3 x 10^15 hertz. We do know that the frequency of a 5G network (5 Giga hertz - 95 Giga hertz) and discovered that it's frequency is of the order of 10^9 hertz. which is million times lower than what is considered as ionizing. It therefore means that photons from a 5G network can never ionize the human body.

We know all these because to excite the electron from the ground state of a hydrogen atom to the first excitation state, you must have an energy of 13.6 eV. If you check the energy of a 5G wave, you will see it is approximately 0.00002 eV which is a million times lower than the fundamental energy of ionizing radiation.

Some persons have also linked it to cause cancer and the rest, this is not true. Of course there are two effects of radiations which is stochastic and deterministic effect. Deterministic effect occurs instantly and severity increases with radiation dose where as stochastic effect does not occur instantly but will take time to manifest.

Let me point out that, those who survived the Hiroshima and Nagazaki bomb blast and were followed in a study called Cohort Study, out of over 100k followed person, only about 2% died of cancer related cases which manifested about 50 years after the incident. Remember these people took many grays of highly ionizing radiations.

Whenever you take flight from a particular place to another, you have absorbed more ionizing radiations that someone living 20km from a nuclear power plant. When you take 1-9 cigarettes a day, you take same risk as someone who took a dose of 3.4Sv from a bomb blast.

To end it, 5G network is not an ionizing radiation, and poses no harm to the body, well not anyone that has been experience now. It will take many years for one to experience any such effect (Which to me is not possible). Some of us have done X-rays, if only you knew you stood against an ionizing radiation, and yet still healthy, you won't be talking about 5G network.

The words of MrPhysics grin grin grin
Decent explanation. The sad part is the propagation of these conspiracy theories by Pastors and some supposedly learned people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (of 7 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.