Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,204 members, 7,839,104 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

5gee's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 5gee's Profile / 5gee's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (of 7 pages)

Investment / Re: My 2021 Investment Journey by 5gee: 9:30pm On Jan 04, 2021
BusinessFocus:
I have a Bronze PACKAGE With Them Too......

If You Guys Are Interested You Can Get In Touch With Me.
I do not know this person. Beware.

9 Likes

Investment / Re: My 2021 Investment Journey by 5gee: 9:28pm On Jan 04, 2021
Day 1: First pay

Investment / Re: My 2021 Investment Journey by 5gee: 9:41pm On Jan 03, 2021
So I have made the deposits for the two.
Fingers crossed.
1st attachment is ~25% monthly until I get back 250% of my initial deposit. So my break even point is 4months.
For the second one, the returns is around 21% within 20 working days and I get my capital bank at the end of the 20 working days. My returns will be paid daily (5 days a week) and I can withdraw immediately. I do not have to wait till the end to withdraw. Minimum I can withdraw is $10. I consider this the riskier of the two.
I will know tomorrow if truely they will pay.

3 Likes 1 Share

Investment / My 2021 Investment Journey by 5gee: 7:16pm On Jan 03, 2021
This thread is intended to document my 2021 investment journey. I lost a lot of money in 2020 to some investment scams so this year I will be more measured with my risk taking.
It was inspired by this thread on Nairaland: https://www.nairaland.com/6054617/crowdfunding-investment-platforms-options-non/32
After reading that thread, I made a list of investments I will consider making in 2021. A few days later I found one which is run from outside Nigeria which I intend to start with.
I chose them based on the following:
1. Online reviews (Youtube and trustpilot)
2. They are less than a year old ( Early mover advantage grin). Those that join at the tail end end up suffering - I have been there before.
3. I also do not have to refer people to get my earning since I am terrible at MLM.
4. One of them - the riskier one, allows daily withdrawals of profits and the cycle is short as well so the chances of losing my whole money is reduced (Notice I said reduced and and not eliminated).

NOTE: I have failed to mention the name because I am unsure if that is allowed here.
I will join today and update my progress tomorrow, God willing.

NB: I am not an investment adviser. I shouldn't have to say this since it is common sense but some may need it: All I am doing here is to show you my journey, join at your own risk. You may lose or make a lot. Investing in these platforms Is risky & many of them run away.

2 Likes

Travel / Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 12:11am On Dec 02, 2020
Lexusgs430:

FCA is legal financial regulator, that unfortunately cannot regulate/investigate an illegal unregistered financial sector.......

They would simply add your complaint to data & statistics.......

I hope you did not invest too much..... This crypto experience should serve as a lesson..........

5G already paid his learning fees, would you learn from it or rather pay own fees in 6G........... cheesy
Thank you.
Expensive lesson over £15k gone. cry

reluctantly - - "we move"
Travel / Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 4:06pm On Dec 01, 2020
Lexusgs430:

If it's the same company I am thinking about..... I raised my concerns on the thread, created on nairaland some months ago.......

Does one of the directors, claim to be a lawyer?......

I presume you paid via bitcoin too.......... You simply have been had...... Use this experience as paying school fees, into the never never school of scamotology.......... grin

The scammers have 5G'ed you...... wink
I don't think it's the same. These ones seem to have used fake details to register with company house. starts with T and until recently had excellent (fake) reviews on trustpilot. I am about to report to fca but any other idea on hoe or who to report them to?
Travel / Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 10:17am On Dec 01, 2020
Please does anyone know how I can recover my funds from a crypto scam? I was made to believe I was trading in crypto with a UK registered company but now they are refusing to payout my capital and "profits". Is there a way I can recover my funds? I am tempted to drive to their office address but they may not be there as it may be a fake address. They are registered with company house. Anyone with similar experience?
Thank you.
Travel / Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 4:24pm On Aug 04, 2020
OBYNOWEST12:
Brother nothing good about Nigeria.. Have u ever think about the future of children, Does ur children has future in Nigeria ?..

How can one pay close to 1M just to secure federal job here in Nigeria..

Which home are u missing? (I can only missed the Naija food.) the whole world are just d same. Just we are separated by ordinary water and weather.

I swear if I enter any abroad country my parents will be begging me to come bk home. Just waiting patiently to enter a good country, I swear I go root my generation there.

30yrs dy never see me. If they talk too much invitation for u.

Dead country Nigeria. Think about ur kids future..

Unfortunately/Fortunately not everyone has your mindset. As I said, where I come from, people do not necessarily feel they have to leave the country in order to make it. It may not be a good thing but somehow it has also spared them a lot. When I was in school, people used to complain that there were no jobs but the guys I was looking up to (My mentors)were changing jobs and their friends were so I said to myself that there are jobs and I indeed got the kind of job I was liked. Nigeria has its numerous problems but I am not the type that will "insult" or disrespect the country because if I do that, outsiders will also not respect the country and me. Personally, it is good for my children to have dual citizenship but if forced to choose, I will prefer Nigerian. But this is me and we are all different.

4 Likes

Travel / Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 3:00pm On Aug 04, 2020
nihilistjnr:

Good luck bro.

Thank you.
Travel / Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 3:00pm On Aug 04, 2020
LagosismyHome:

UK is 50/50 ………… It works for some people in terms of been financially sound and for others while there is some stabilization and organization , the tradeoff is a lack of savings and really living hand to mouth abeit still comfortable . I think some will actually be better off in naija and others here is better. It all depends on your life journey. My only work experience in Naija is when I went back for NYSC so I cannot say for sure if I would have gone to have an illustrious career or it would have been years of drinking garri . There is a guy who was in NYSC with me and we stayed in touched . He is an ED in one of the main bank so maybe I can day dream that if I was in Naija maybe I for don rise to ED ……… but that is a tall talk

For me I still prefer UK and my years of dreaming to go back is over. Loads of my close friends went back and in 2010 I almost went back.... I visit every year and after one week the honeymoon is over and cant wait to be back . UK to be financially sound you have to open your eyes . There are some good job opportunities that come up in different areas , be it in contracting or other areas and the sharp one grab it . The same UK you can see someone doing minimum wage for years as well with no progression. So it works for some it doesn’t work for others .

Putting money aside , for me Nigeria wahala is just too much and just seems to be getting worse everyday in so many sector …………
You are right. Contracting is very good and I know Nigerians who are making a killing. I am also contracting and I thank God for what I have been able to achieve so far in the UK. For me, it's not only about money, although it is very important, but in addition to that, I also have very strong ties with home. I am constantly improving myself to get better at what I do and also earn more. One very good compromise will be a job from here that takes me back home or at least to Africa. grin
Travel / Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 2:52pm On Aug 04, 2020
Olalekank:

Apologies if you find the questions inconvenient.
People tend to focus on the exceptions.
I tend to see a lot of reasons why people move out of Nigeria, but hardly ever any posts as to why they regret their move. Which makes it more interesting.

Also, regarding the bolded, do you mind me sending a dm?
check my signature, the email I used here isn't accessible.
Travel / Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 2:48pm On Aug 04, 2020
nihilistjnr:

Bro in that case, my advice would be to go back to Nigeria and get that pay, and I'm not being facetious.

If you can earn more in Nigeria, then you can here, then Nigeria is obviously the better bet. Life is too short to be living in regret and wondering about what could have been.
And that's what I am trying to do. Waiting for the right opportunity and I am out. I hope it comes soon enough.

1 Like

Travel / Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 2:27pm On Aug 04, 2020
RalphJean:

Me too, I noticed the inconsistencies but didn’t want to point them out for fear of being accused of prying.

If I was the one who now regrets leaving a ‘big’ job in Nigeria, I would kuku return to Nigeria.
Except if the regret is that getting that job is not easy and it's not like they recruit everyday hence you thinking "I should have stayed put" in the first place.
Travel / Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 2:24pm On Aug 04, 2020
nihilistjnr:

Congratulations on the career advancement.

But do you honestly believe that you can earn more in salaried employment in Nigeria?
Yes but the it is a tall order when you consider basic pay alone. throw in other benefits then it is possible. My former colleagues are earning that now. But it is not only that, there are other factors including family.
Travel / Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 2:15pm On Aug 04, 2020
nihilistjnr:

And therein lies the crux of the matter.
By your own admission, based on your previous experience, you should have been going for a higher position than the role you applied for.

If you're currently doing jobs 2 or 3 grades above your level, that indicates significant growth, which means that you're now ready to go for the roles at the level you need to be at. Have you considered going for those kind of roles?
No Sir, this was ages ago, when I moved from a graduate role to another graduate role. I am now at manager level and still feel the same even though my earnings have improved significantly.
Travel / Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 2:11pm On Aug 04, 2020
nihilistjnr:

To me, it sounds like he was overqualified for the job he got.

That's the only explanation for looking back in regret to Nigeria. If you were a manager, and then moved to UK to become a line report to someone in the role you used to have, then I would understand.

A job paying 12 million Naira annual salary is a fantastic job in Nigeria.
At current exchange rate, that's like 4-5k [b]UNDER[/b]the national average UK annual salary

So I cant understand how he would be doing better in Nigeria on a salary basis.
I left my job on a graduate level.
Please do not forget that just because the pound has more value does not mean that their purchasing power in the respective countries is the same.

1 Like

Travel / Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 2:08pm On Aug 04, 2020
Olalekank:

I think the experience differs for everyone though tbh. Everyone has their reasons for moving.

"I need to earn and save a lot more to be comfortable to the level I would have been had I stayed back..."
What would you say is the reason for your "regret"? Is it as a result of not earning as much as you WOULD back here in Nigeria?

Are you in the tech field by any means?
Financial security is one of them - I like to have savings and investments and no need to worry about working. I also like job satisfaction, which is one of the reasons I moved and want to move. I want to also be able to help people as I used to when I was back home, too many people to take care of but not enough spare resources as I would like.
yes IT related.

Why am I being interrogated and those without regrets aren't? Were people not expecting to hear this?

1 Like

Travel / Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 2:02pm On Aug 04, 2020
nihilistjnr:

At face value, there are a number of contradictions in your post

1. You had a lot of work experience BUT you didn't know you had work experience

2. You're not crazy to move abroad, BUT you took on pay cut and a higher cost of living to get international experience....and despite not being happy here, you haven't moved back especially as you now have the international experience

3. The UK job was similar to the Naija job, BUT you undersold your Naija work experience to get it.

Are you happy to continue this discussion, as I dont want to ask questions that might be interpreted as prying.

If you are, I have a couple of questions. If you dont then we can leave it.

One thing that stands out is that if you got a similar job here in the UK whilst underselling your experience, then that suggests to me that you weren't going for the same role.

If you're an experienced hire, going for and getting a job without emphasising your experience, then surely that job doesn't require experience, which indicates less responsibility, which indicates less pay, no?
I did not say I had a lot of work experience, I said I discounted my work experience meaning I did not value it because I was expecting more. After I joined that company, I realised that my experience in Nigeria was actually okay. I took a pay cut because I wanted more. International experience, more earning potential and I was young and restless. My experience in Nigeria actually helped in getting the job. By saying I under sold myself, I meant I should have gone for a higher position instead of something at a similar level. In fact in less than a year, I doing jobs at 2 or 3 grades above my level.
Travel / Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 12:49pm On Aug 04, 2020
nihilistjnr:

I can't speak to your situation as I'm not privy to it.

However, if i'm allowed to speculate, it sounds like the job you took here is not on par with the job you left.
Your speculation was wrong. It was similar to what I had, I took it because I wanted "international" experience but it turned out that I actually had a lot of the experience from Nigeria, I just didn't know it.

At a very basic level, exchange rate alone ensures that you earn more in the UK than the exact same role in Nigeria.
as at then, the pay was similar going by the exchange rate then. But this is beyond the pay, there were other benefits and also the cost of living. This I did not consider or I was too restless then.

The pay cut suggests to me that leaving the country, rather than professional development, was the primary driver for taking that job. In that case, you must not forget that the job was merely a means to an end.
As I mentioned, leaving the country was not on my mind then. Where I come from, we are not crazy about living abroad - travel? Yes.

If you were able to get a job on Merit in Nigeria that paid so well, then you have what it takes to get the same job in the UK, in the same sector, for better pay. It might be that you need to acquire some recognised accreditation to qualify your work experience in Nigeria.
I admit I did undersell myself and this was because I discounted my experience in Nigeria. At the moment I earn quite well (comfortably in the top 15% in the UK by earnings) but the desire is still there. I need to earn and save a lot more to be comfortable to the level I would have been had I stayed back. Also, there are some jobs that do not come around often in Nigeria. Sometimes it takes years for recruitment exercises to take place.

My advice would be look for job adverts for your role, see what employers are looking for, and tailor you CV accordingly.

Thanks for your concern. wink
Travel / Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 10:38am On Aug 04, 2020
nihilistjnr:

if you are here legally, it's difficult to see how you would regret your decision.
Whatever your level or qualification in life, it's highly likely that you're doing far better here than in an equivalent position in Nigeria, in financial terms, as well as quality of life metrics.

The only caveat is if you enjoyed political patronage in Nigeria, or were part of the ruling class - in what case, you wouldn't even be here.
This may well be the case for many but for me the reverse is the case. I effectively took a pay cut to accept an offer here with the hope that I will be able to grow very fast but I later realised that where I am now is below where I'd have been had I stayed on my former job. I had never dreamt of living outside the country until this job offer. In all I thank God because He has been faithful and even though I am not fulfilled, many wish they were in my shoes.

2 Likes

Travel / Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5gee: 7:57am On Aug 04, 2020
tolajay:
CANDID QUESTION

Is there anyone regretting relocating to the UK from Nigeria?

If yes, to what extent on a scale of 1-10?

Thanks
Sometimes. As for scale, I'd say 6.
I hope to go back in a few years.
The UK has been good to me but I miss home and feel I would be doing much better than I am currently. Plus family and friends back home.

4 Likes

Travel / Re: 300 Nigerians Stranded In UAE Arrive Abuja by 5gee: 7:00pm On Jun 19, 2020
On behalf of Oshiomole and Obaseki, we welcome you back home.
Politics / Re: Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port by 5gee: 6:57pm On May 15, 2020
sulaak:

Tinubu stood up to OBJ and called his bluff.
Did he? They merely had a misunderstanding, in my opinion. And Obj merely withheld the LG N10B. If he had done what wike is doing, he would have been pushed out.
Politics / Re: Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port by 5gee: 3:31pm On May 15, 2020
Blue3k2:

They free to accuse the FG. All the have to do is give a warning then go in force. Foolishness shouldn't be allowed to fester.
In this case, I agree.

1 Like

Politics / Re: Investors Decry Wike's Shutdown Of Rivers, Onne Port by 5gee: 2:48pm On May 15, 2020
Blue3k2:

Lol Tyrant Wike shut down the ports to serve lagos as instructed by Lord. These power drunk mumus are deadlier than any virus. The federal government is weak for allowing the state governor to shut down federal properties. If there was time to flex federal might this would be the it.
The FG will be accused of dictatorship if they battle Wike.

That's why I like OBJ, no governor will try this with him.

1 Like

Family / Re: Wife Trying To Ruin My Career Within A Few Months Of Arriving Abroad by 5gee: 11:16am On May 15, 2020
LinLinGentle:
All these people here that kept saying I did not treat my wife right in Nigeria don't actually know what they're saying. The answer is NO. In Nigeria, she never touched her salary, I never leave house chores to her alone, I did most things men do to show love to a woman. She just makes sure to tell me how inadequate I am and how she could have had better than me and deserves more. She had this ex boyfriend she always compared me to. Also, she has always had this pathological attachment to her extended family and makes it a duty to paint me in a bad light to anyone willing to listen. Her family expect more from me than I could offer, but did not even nurture the kind of relationship where this could happen. I was always the one doing the calling and visiting and all I get back is criticisms. Throughout our stay in Nigeria, none of her family members ever visited our matrimonial home, cos my wife cannot stop staying things like ''He drinks too much'', ''he never stays at home'', ''I think he is cheating'', ''his mother is a witch'' etc. We were both young professionals and we had busy lives back in Naija so we used to keep a maid, a driver etc. It was not really what you would call a patriarchy at all, just that I had a lower threshold for bullshit. The only difference between when we were in Nigeria and now is that I cannot keep up with her gbas gbos here, and have to back down most of the time for peace to reign, but back in Nigeria, she dared not do or say some things to me cos I would reciprocate swiftly. I am just a normal man with ''African mentality'' like most of y'all, I am not a trouble maker. I am just unfortunate to have this kinda wife whose expectations I have never met and who thinks I don't deserve appreciation, affection, respect, loyalty and love.
I will advice you to document the abuses because you are at a disadvantage when the police is involved. Get a hidden camera and record the abuses.
As things are now, even if you divorce, you may still be liable for her upkeep plus she can file for residency (if you are based in the UK) without you by claiming domestic abuse.
Get your evidence and file for divorce. If you have a child then prepare for a hard time (child care or child support).

3 Likes 1 Share

Politics / Re: Nigeria Makes ₦2.6 Trillion In One-Year Sales Of Petroleum Products – PPMC by 5gee: 8:26am On May 13, 2020
karzyharsky:
Where is the money ?
They probably made a loss on the sales so technically Nigeria may owe them money.
Health / Re: Abdulrazak Habib: I Was Treated Of Coronavirus With Black Seed, Clove Oil by 5gee: 11:50am On May 08, 2020
Iyiataata92:

Were all these things not available when Abba Kyari died?
Or are they not available for all these people dying in Kano?
Makinde was also healed by black seed and co, why then are people still dying when black seed full everywhere?
How did you know that was what healed him? The fact that he claimed to have taken that does not mean that was what healed him. Else others that recovered without taking anything can also claim that they were healed by drinking water (since they took water and recovered) or healed by eating rice and beans if they ate that while infected.
There is no known cure for COVID19 but majority infected people recover without need for any medical intervention.
Travel / Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by 5gee: 1:51pm On May 06, 2020
Danielhouston:
Nigerians in Germany and abroad in general, I have a question.

Do you feel settled in Germany or where you live? I see Nigerians here who live in a room in shared apartment but they’re building houses and buying cars in Nigeria and sending all their money to Nigeria. They probably would not live in the house they’re building in Nigeria and they don’t intend to return to Nigeria to live. So what’s the purpose?

I’ve always believed in enjoying my money cos life is short and I make myself at home anywhere I live. I don’t see why I’ll be working hard in Germany but live like a pauper and all my money will be going to Nigeria, I’ll be buying cars in Nigeria that I won’t drive. Or a house that I’ll only stay in when I visit once in a year.

I want to hear your thoughts on this.
I have lived in the UK for close to 10 years now. I do not feel settled and sometimes feel I made a mistake (I felt like that yesterday as well). Unlike most, I did not move here for greener pasture as the grass was greener back home and took a pay cut to accept an offer. I wanted to experience wht it meant to work in an international organisation and it felt like a good decision the first few months but I later realised it was more or less the same. I just didn't know the professional terms for what I was doing back home plus it's done better and with less bureaucracy.
I hope to return once I get my passport (Since I have laboured and spent this long here I might as well get it) and find a good job, perhaps commensurate to what I left back home.
I have learned a lot and some of the things I know now I may never have known or would have known years later but for me home is where I come from. I have a house (mortgage) and pretty comfortable but still feel I can achieve more back home. That is just me and for others, it might be different.

21 Likes

Travel / Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by 5gee: 1:39pm On May 05, 2020
jesmond3945:
Institutionally BAME were placed in a disadvantaged position in the fight against COVid. If a BAME called in sick,he is likely to be sacked.
This cannot be true else the NHS should be ready to ready to cough out huge sums at the employment tribunal. Even in normal times, you are entitled to sick leave. But thanks for you explanation.
Travel / Re: Being Black In Berlin/germany by 5gee: 1:11pm On May 05, 2020
jesmond3945:

See the statistics BAME doctors 19 percent White doctors 81 percent
Mortality BAME doctors 72 percent White Doctors 28 percent
While in patient deaths there are more white than BAME deaths. So your theory is not valid.
Thank you for this. Please explain how racism is responsible for that as I am unable to link the two.
Health / Re: Susan Okpe Turns Preacher In Isolation Centre After 43 Days by 5gee: 11:23am On May 05, 2020
Davash222:
Why is she still in detention after 43 days since she's hale and hearty?
Being hale and hearty does not mean she is virus free although having stayed that long she much have recovered room the virus. Most people that contract the virus do not even know they have the virus if not tested so no surprises there.
I suspect that she has either refused to be tested or is being "punished" for being outspoken.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (of 7 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.