Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,758 members, 7,809,922 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:12 PM

Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu (30770 Views)

Pressure Mounts On APC To Disqualify Obaseki From Guber Race - Thisday Newspaper / Court Asked To Disqualify Obaseki From Edo Election / 12 SANs Lead Sanusi's Battle For Freedom, Hearing Begins Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by allthingsgood: 2:42pm On Jul 19, 2020
TANTUMERGO007:
The most useless profession now is Law

because they want to remove your illegal go ernor abi

1 Like

Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by Gforce2019: 2:43pm On Jul 19, 2020
Brooklynsouth:
ewedu people are generally envious who's olanipekun confused and inconsequential

Cain of descendants. Always bittered whenever you hear any good thing about the Yoruba race. ....
If care is not taking you will soon die because of Yoruba race matter...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by fergie001: 2:44pm On Jul 19, 2020
Dansuqi:

He will send ugly obaseki packing.where is fergie
Ya...?

I think this case is just to rattle Obaseki and/or Shaibu if indeed they did something funny. Other than that, its just merry-go-rounding for the following reasons:

-The case is past 2 weeks the date of the PDP Primaries, hence cannot qualify as a pre-election case (unless we follow Ekwo's reason on Nwosu).

- If its brought as a civil or criminal case, the Governor and his deputy have immunity so are under no obligation to attend proceedings or even enter appearances. The case will however amount to nothing until they no longer have that immunity.

- This case, one way or the other, would have come up at the tribunal where the real case lies.

So, the elections and then the TRIBUNAL (if Obaseki wins) is where I am looking towards.

ejimatic seanfer

I will leave the substance of the case for now.
ghettokid1 Fuckingmallam45 BuharinaWah powerfulguy...Today na Sunday nah...where is the thread haba.

1 Like

Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by Jombojombo(m): 2:45pm On Jul 19, 2020
Officialgarri:
Olanipekun majors in this kind of case cheesy

I'll advise APC to reserve Olanipekun for post-election because there's surely going to be a court case after

So you've accepted that APC can not win the election but probably through the court

2 Likes

Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by surgical: 2:47pm On Jul 19, 2020
lalawealthy:
The fact is that all these are expected.to me,Obaseki shot himself coz he knew very well he had such discrepancies in his qualifications and went fighting this guys,trust me ,I doubt if he can survive this especially with the fact that he submitted different qualifications to INEC,THATS A REALLY BIG MESS..
Sentiments apart,let's be reasonably objective.
please what is the discrepancies in the certificate
He only need to finish school cert to be qualified,which no one has disputed,all other is academic exercise
You can not conclude a document is fake when you are not the issuing authority
UI have come out that they issued the certificate,that is the end of the matter
How he got the admission is what the university says is the criteria it is not for APC to dictate
Even nysc has corrected the error on his discharge certificate,these people are just chasing shadows

2 Likes

Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by nokatakata: 2:50pm On Jul 19, 2020
The koko of the matter be say the SANS go collect their money complete whether they win or lose case. Most of these lawyers are scammers too. They push you into a case just because of the money they want to collect from you.

3 Likes

Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by jasent(m): 2:51pm On Jul 19, 2020
seanfer:

Bayelsa case should teach you a lesson or two. Except you just choose to be economical.
You think it's OK to disqualify an incumbent Governor, but is not OK to disqualify a man facing trial over 700 million

2 Likes

Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by futurism: 2:53pm On Jul 19, 2020
lalawealthy:
The fact is that all these are expected.to me,Obaseki shot himself coz he knew very well he had such discrepancies in his qualifications and went fighting this guys,trust me ,I doubt if he can survive this especially with the fact that he submitted different qualifications to INEC,THATS A REALLY BIG MESS..
shut up... shut your stinking mouth up and get your leprosy infested hands off that phone...

So they didn't see the discrepancies when they chose him to run first term?

In my thick Benin Accent: "Na Ogun go kill off una"

1 Like

Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jul 19, 2020
Cajal:
APC fighting back
I remembered PDP did similar thing to OBASEKI OF APC...but court struck it out OUT OF TIME

Its unfortunate PDP ran into the same trap they set
Congratulation to POI

Lol. Continue dreaming!

2 Likes

Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by linearity: 2:56pm On Jul 19, 2020
lalawealthy:

What different qualifications did he submitted to INEC?

What he submitted during his first term where affidavits, stating the year he graduated, etc on the ground that he lost his certificates.

What he submitted now, are his true certificates after he might have found them and/or got replacements.

In the county of law, the rule of evidence usually consider the more reliable source. His actual certificates overrides what he stated in his affidavit. The court cannot hold both equal and adjudged that he lied. Even if the court go that, route, what was his motive of lying that he graduated in 1976 vs 1979? Was there anything to be gained or was it a mere memory lapses?

I think the scope of the court here will be to examine his currently submitted credentials if they meet the INEC provision and if they do the case will be strike out.

2 Likes

Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by ajailer(m): 2:57pm On Jul 19, 2020
though I no read am finish but even if Obaseki contest and win for the election wey dey come, petition no go let am rule in peace. APC is hell bent on bringing him down.

1 Like

Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by seanfer(m): 3:01pm On Jul 19, 2020
jasent:
You think it's OK to disqualify an incumbent Governor, but is not OK to disqualify a man facing trial over 700 million

None of them is guilty until the court of law says so. The onus of proof lies with the accusers.
The one standing trial over 700 million is not above the law.
Also if the Incumbent is found to have submitted forged Documents too is not too big to be ask questions.
Let them all face the consequences of their actions.

1 Like

Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by SaintLucia: 3:02pm On Jul 19, 2020
lalawealthy:
The funniest thing be say the same Obaseki has been looking for every possible means to disqualify Ize Iyamu from contesting grin He even sponsored an unknown party who took Ize Iyamu to court citing while the APC NWC led by Buni shouldn't be the one to submit Ize Iyamu name to INEC but his wuruwuru friend Giadom. He did something funny recently in a Benin court asking the court to disqualify Ize Iyamu cos his ward acknowledged that he Ize Iyamu didn't register at his ward but the court told him and his counsel to mind their business after all they are no longer in APC.

APC will still bring another court case against him after this one cos he Obaseki participated in the APC and PDP process of the two political parties primary election which is against the electoral act as amended something Obaseki himself confirmed before he joined PDP grin

5 Likes

Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by ejimatic: 3:03pm On Jul 19, 2020
fergie001:

Ya...?

ejimatic....
. Chief Wole Olaonipekun and Ayo Fagbemi ..the prince of Ijagbo in Kwara state are SANs with experiences in electoral matters...Obaseki mist be ready for a legal battle .

1 Like

Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by fergie001: 3:06pm On Jul 19, 2020
ejimatic:
. Chief Wole Olaonipekun and Ayo Fagbemi ..the prince of Ijagbo in Kwara state are SANs with experiences in electoral matters...Obaseki mist be ready for a legal battle .
....If something is fishy.
A lawyer is as good as the case he holds...like in Kogi and Bayelsa States.
Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by Validated: 3:07pm On Jul 19, 2020
How much is Olanipekun cashing out this time because the judge will be like

Act 1 Scene 1: Counts 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 are summarily dismissed.

Act 1 Scene 2: Then they will move to Court of appeal. ... Judge will be like, CASE DISMISSED.. the matters are frivolous and stupid of senior lawyers

Act 2 Scene 1: They will move to Supreme court by June 2022.

Act 2 Final Scene: Then Justices led by Justice Amina Augie, after hearing the 5 SANs will put on her glasses and provoke again ... and say:
"You again ... with more tears in my eyes, I cannot believe that in my lifetime, I would see very senior members of the bar bring applications of this nature again to this court which are aimed at desecrating the sanctity of this court, violating the principles and decisions of this court and destroying the esteem on which this court is held.

Who do you think you are? You think you can control me like your wives at home? What affront and audacity. I thought you learnt some lessons the last time. Apparently you have not

“The applications are vexatious, they are frivolous and gross abuse of court process. In the circumstances, the two applications are hereby dismissed and the cost of N40 million each is awarded against the first, second and third applicants respectively in favour of the first, second and third respondents to be paid personally by their respective counsels. Additionally, you 5 SANs are hereby suspended from approaching this court for 60 month."

2 Likes

Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by ejimatic: 3:11pm On Jul 19, 2020
fergie001:

....If something is fishy.
A lawyer is as good as the case he holds...like in Kogi and Bayelsa States.
. Yes absolutely correct
Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by Coronavirus1: 3:12pm On Jul 19, 2020
tinsel:
Home - THISDAYLIVE logo

Olanipekun, Four SANs Lead Cases Seeking to Disqualify Obaseki, Shaibu
editorJuly 19, 2020 5:30 Am
APC accuses duo of committing perjury, forgery
Party’s campaign council, state govt disagree over destruction of Ize-Iyamu’s billboards
INEC releases final list of candidates
Iyobosa Uwugiaren, Chuks Okocha, Alex Enumah in Abuja and Adibe Emenyonu in Benin City

Foremost lawyer and Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Chief Wole Olanipekun, is leading four other SANs in cases of certificate forgery and perjury instituted against Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State and his deputy, Philip Shaibu, at a Federal High Court in Benin City. The All Progressives Congress (APC) and a member of the party, Mr. Edobor Williams, instituted the cases.

The plaintiffs are asking the court to disqualify the governor and his deputy from participating in the September 19 governorship election in the state as well as prevent their party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), from fielding any candidates in the election.

In a related development, the APC National Campaign Council for the September 19 governorship election in the state, Saturday, raised the alarm over the destruction and removal of the outdoor billboards and campaign posters of its candidate, Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu, and his running mate, Mallam Gani Audu, by alleged agents of the state government.

But Special Adviser to Obaseki on Media and Communication Strategy, Mr. Crusoe Osagie, dismissed the allegation, calling it belated antics of a routinely recycled politician.

Meanwhile, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has released a final list of eligible candidates for the September 19 election across the different political parties.

Obaseki and Shaibu, who are contesting the election on the platform of PDP, had contested and won the governorship election in 2016 under APC. In two separate suits filed against them by the APC and Williams, the plaintiffs want the court to stop Obaseki and Shaibu from participating in the September 19 governorship election in Edo State for allegedly lying on oath and submitting false documents to INEC to aid their qualifications in the forthcoming election. According to them, the alleged offences of the defendants run contrary to the provisions of the Electoral Act 2010, as amended, and the punishment is automatic disqualification.

The plaintiffs are also asking the court to bar the PDP from participating or representing itself in the September 19 governorship election for sponsoring ineligible candidates.

In the first suit marked FHC/B/CS/74/2020, which has Obaseki, PDP and INEC as first, second and third respondents, respectively, the plaintiffs want the court to hold that Obaseki lied on oath in his INEC Form CF 001 submitted in aid of his qualification.

The plaintiffs further accused the first defendant of forging his West African Examinations Council (WAEC) result in aid of his admission for a Bachelor of Arts degree at the University of Ibadan. In a statement of claim in support of the suit by Dr. Ehiogie West-Idahosa, the plaintiffs further claimed that Obaseki did not meet the minimum requirements to gain admission into the university, as he had just three credits and two passes in his school certificate results purportedly issued by WAEC.

Obaseki was also accused of perjury for claiming to have graduated from the University of Ibadan in 1976 in his form CF 001 completed in July 2016, while in his form CF 001 completed on June 29, 2020 he claimed to have graduated in 1979.

The plaintiffs in the suit added that Obaseki had also been disqualified from participating in the election by the APC screening committee, which discovered huge discrepancies in documents presented in support of his academic qualifications.

The plaintiffs, in accusing Obaseki of forgery, pointed out that his degree certificate, whose photocopy was presented to INEC, revealed that only the Vice Chancellor of the university signed the certificate and without effective date of award, as against the standard operating procedure of the Examination, Records and Administrative Data Processing Division.

The plaintiffs also want the court to declare that Obaseki’s claim that he worked with Afrinvest Limited from 1994 to 2014, when he retired, was false.

Aside the alleged falsification of documents and lying on oath, the plaintiffs want the PDP standard bearers disqualified on the grounds that the waiver granted them by the PDP last month contravened section 177 of the 1999 Constitution.

In the other suit marked FHC/B/CS/75/2020, which has Shaibu, PDP and INEC as first, second and third respondents, respectively, the plaintiffs, apart from accusing Shaibu of also parading false academic documents, want him disqualified for presenting forged tax clearance certificate to INEC in 2006 in aid of his qualification for the 2007 House of Assembly election in Edo State in 2007.

On Shaibu’s academic record, the plaintiffs claimed discrepancies and alleged forgery in his WAEC result, adding that Shaibu’s claim that he obtained a Master of Business Administration (MBA) from the University of Benin in 2012 was false.

APC Campaign Council Accuse Edo Govt of Destroying Ize-Iyamu’s Billboards

Meanwhile, the APC campaign council, which accused Edo State government agents of destroying and removing the billboards of its candidates, said it had petitioned the Commissioner of Police, Mr. Johnson Kokumo, and INEC regarding what it called a “criminal act”. It said the billboards and campaign posters were located at strategic points in Benin City and beyond.

National Vice Chairman of the publicity committee of the campaign council, Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon, said at a press conference in Benin City, the Edo State capital, that the action was “unfortunate” and “criminal.” Obahiagbon stated that the “outdoor billboards and indeed other campaign materials were duly paid for, designed and erected in full compliance with all legal requirements.”

He said, “We are convinced that this act of intolerance, carried out with impunity, foreshadows what the Edo State government has in store for the Edo voters and our supporters in the September 19 election following the emergence of incontrovertible facts that Mr. Godwin Obaseki is on his way to an embarrassing defeat.

“This unfortunate and criminal action took flight on Thursday, the 16th of July, 2020, when the Edo State government allegedly expressly told one Mr. Dave Giwa Amu who is parading himself as the Managing Director of the Edo State Signage and Advertising Agency, to commence immediate removal and destruction of our billboards.”

The campaign council also stated, “The Edo State Signage and Advertising Agency, purportedly led by the so-called Mr. Dave Giwa Amu, an avowed supporter of the incumbent Governor Godwin Obaseki, is an agency that is yet to receive the assent of the Edo State House of Assembly as the bill for its creation and operations is still being considered in the legislative chamber…

“This agency, as of today, is unknown to the laws of Edo State and is being weaponised by the state government, an interested party in the election, to give itself an illegal, unfair, unethical, fraudulent advantage as we approach the polls.

“This is an egregious and opprobrious escalation of other recorded acts of abuse of office and disregard for the law on the part of the Edo State government. It is a new low for a state government and a governor that has blurred and corrosively dimmed the lines on what is personal and official, reserves the interest of the state and that of the parochial interests of the man, who lead it.

“It is unfortunate that as the chief executive of the state, who is expected to commit to peace, rule of law and avoidance of rancour, Governor Godwin Obaseki has continued to heat up the polity with reckless and provocative comments, media blackmail and criminal actions of intolerance, including the mass destruction of opponent’s campaign materials.”

Obahiagbon stated that APC and its candidates remained confident that Edo people already knew where to place their thumbs on September 19 and would not be cowed by the “last kicks of a dying horse”.

The campaign council said, “We will, nonetheless, stop at nothing to ensure that the rule of law prevails in the state and that the governor is made to come to terms with the fact that all constitutional powers have limits and responsibilities and that as it has been said by scholars, nobility commands responsibility.”

But in a swift reaction, Osagie insisted that the Edo State government did not bring down APC candidates’ campaign billboards. In a statement, he said the allegations were ludicrous and unfounded.

He alleged in the statement, “Anyone who knows Ize-Iyamu very well knows that this is his approach to politics. He raises the alarm and cries wolf, when no one is chasing him. The state government has not removed any of his billboards. This is cheap blackmail to score lame political points.

“Ize-Iyamu is a politician that assumes relevance during every election cycle. This is what he does for a living and has no other job. It is not surprising to see these statements from him and his team. He should not be taken seriously, and his statements should be disregarded.

“He would go back to his cocoon after he has been defeated at the September 19, 2020 election and would most likely resurface after four years to repeat this cycle. So, we are used to his childish charades.”

INEC Releases Final List of Candidates

INEC, in compliance with its Timetable and Schedule of Activities, and in accordance with Section 34 of the Electoral Act 2010 (as amended), published the final list of candidates for the 2020 governorship election in Edo State by displaying it in the commission’s offices in the state capital and the 18 local government areas of the state. The list was also uploaded on the commission’s website.

By Section 35 of the Electoral Act and the Timetable and Schedule of Activities of the Commission, withdrawal and substitution of candidates for the Edo Sate governorship election ended on July 13, 2020.

A statement by INEC’s National Commissioner and Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, Festus Okoye, listed the governorship candidates and their deputies as follows:

AA: Edemakhiota Godwin Osaimiamia, deputy, Sunday Johnbull; ADC: Mabel Oboh, deputy, Reuben Agharese Edokpayi; ADP: Ibio Lucky Emmanuel, deputy, Demond Imasuen; and APC: Osagie Andrew Ize-Iyamu, deputy, Audu Ganiyu. Also, listed were APGA: Lucky Osagie Idehen, deputy, Isah Asekhaimeh; APM: Igbineweka Osamuede, deputy, Obiyan Christian; APP: Amos Osalumese Areloegbe, deputy, Afolabi Ogah; and LP: Osifo Uhun-Ekpenma Isaiah, deputy, Omogbelehan Edomoina Pauline.

Others were NNPP: Agolebun Tracy, deputy, Enobhaysobo Jonathan; NRM: Stevie Nash Ozono Osadolor, deputy, Eghe Festus; PDP: Godwin Nogheghase Obaseki, deputy, Philip Shaibu; SDP: Felix Ikezor Obayangbon, deputy, Omion Omonye; YPP: Jones Osagiobare, deputy, Samson Olukayode Idowu; and ZLP: Akhalamhe Amiemenoghena, deputy, Thompson Osadolor.

Okoye said with the publication of the final list of candidates, no political party could withdraw or substitute any of the nominated candidates or tamper with the list and particulars of the candidates in a manner inconsistent with the intendment of the Constitution and the Electoral Act.

“We urge political parties to pay close attention to the timelines stipulated in the Timetable and Schedule of Activities of the Commission as well as the provisions of the Constitution and the Electoral Act,”
https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2020/07/19/olanipekun-four-sans-lead-cases-seeking-to-disqualify-obaseki-shaibu/
Buhari don't even have certificate
Disqualified him first then come back to give judgment on obaseki Apc is gone from Edo state forever.

1 Like

Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by Kawabonga(m): 3:19pm On Jul 19, 2020
MelesZanawi:

You can't even spell Locus Standi properly and you think you are mentally capable of advising Obaseki. Better go back to school and stop talking nonsense about.

Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by Advocate500: 3:28pm On Jul 19, 2020
I thought they said obaseki cannot win the election, y are they afraid of contesting with him ?some certain people told us oshomole the fuul is everything in politics.
Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jul 19, 2020
linearity:

What different qualifications did he submitted to INEC?

What he submitted during his first term where affidavits, stating the year he graduated, etc on the ground that he lost his certificates.

What he submitted now, are his true certificates after he might have found them and/or got replacements.

In the county of law, the rule of evidence usually consider the more reliable source. His actual certificates overrides what he stated in his affidavit. The court cannot hold both equal and adjudged that he lied. Even if the court go that, route, what was his motive of lying that he graduated in 1976 vs 1979? Was there anything to be gained or was it a mere memory lapses?

I think the scope of the court here will be to examine his currently submitted credentials if they meet the INEC provision and if they do the case will be strike out.

He submitted this in 2016

Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by ogbonti: 3:34pm On Jul 19, 2020
nokatakata:
The koko of the matter be say the SANS go collect their money complete whether they win or lose case. Most of these lawyers are scammers too. They push you into a case just because of the money they want to collect from you.

just like them chop Buhari money when he fought Yar ADUA in 2007 grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by double77: 3:37pm On Jul 19, 2020
tinsel:
Home - THISDAYLIVE logo

Olanipekun, Four SANs Lead Cases Seeking to Disqualify Obaseki, Shaibu
editorJuly 19, 2020 5:30 Am
APC accuses duo of committing perjury, forgery
Party’s campaign council, state govt disagree over destruction of Ize-Iyamu’s billboards
INEC releases final list of candidates
Iyobosa Uwugiaren, Chuks Okocha, Alex Enumah in Abuja and Adibe Emenyonu in Benin City

Foremost lawyer and Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Chief Wole Olanipekun, is leading four other SANs in cases of certificate forgery and perjury instituted against Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State and his deputy, Philip Shaibu, at a Federal High Court in Benin City. The All Progressives Congress (APC) and a member of the party, Mr. Edobor Williams, instituted the cases.

The plaintiffs are asking the court to disqualify the governor and his deputy from participating in the September 19 governorship election in the state as well as prevent their party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), from fielding any candidates in the election.

In a related development, the APC National Campaign Council for the September 19 governorship election in the state, Saturday, raised the alarm over the destruction and removal of the outdoor billboards and campaign posters of its candidate, Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu, and his running mate, Mallam Gani Audu, by alleged agents of the state government.

But Special Adviser to Obaseki on Media and Communication Strategy, Mr. Crusoe Osagie, dismissed the allegation, calling it belated antics of a routinely recycled politician.

Meanwhile, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has released a final list of eligible candidates for the September 19 election across the different political parties.

Obaseki and Shaibu, who are contesting the election on the platform of PDP, had contested and won the governorship election in 2016 under APC. In two separate suits filed against them by the APC and Williams, the plaintiffs want the court to stop Obaseki and Shaibu from participating in the September 19 governorship election in Edo State for allegedly lying on oath and submitting false documents to INEC to aid their qualifications in the forthcoming election. According to them, the alleged offences of the defendants run contrary to the provisions of the Electoral Act 2010, as amended, and the punishment is automatic disqualification.

The plaintiffs are also asking the court to bar the PDP from participating or representing itself in the September 19 governorship election for sponsoring ineligible candidates.

In the first suit marked FHC/B/CS/74/2020, which has Obaseki, PDP and INEC as first, second and third respondents, respectively, the plaintiffs want the court to hold that Obaseki lied on oath in his INEC Form CF 001 submitted in aid of his qualification.

The plaintiffs further accused the first defendant of forging his West African Examinations Council (WAEC) result in aid of his admission for a Bachelor of Arts degree at the University of Ibadan. In a statement of claim in support of the suit by Dr. Ehiogie West-Idahosa, the plaintiffs further claimed that Obaseki did not meet the minimum requirements to gain admission into the university, as he had just three credits and two passes in his school certificate results purportedly issued by WAEC.

Obaseki was also accused of perjury for claiming to have graduated from the University of Ibadan in 1976 in his form CF 001 completed in July 2016, while in his form CF 001 completed on June 29, 2020 he claimed to have graduated in 1979.

The plaintiffs in the suit added that Obaseki had also been disqualified from participating in the election by the APC screening committee, which discovered huge discrepancies in documents presented in support of his academic qualifications.

The plaintiffs, in accusing Obaseki of forgery, pointed out that his degree certificate, whose photocopy was presented to INEC, revealed that only the Vice Chancellor of the university signed the certificate and without effective date of award, as against the standard operating procedure of the Examination, Records and Administrative Data Processing Division.

The plaintiffs also want the court to declare that Obaseki’s claim that he worked with Afrinvest Limited from 1994 to 2014, when he retired, was false.

Aside the alleged falsification of documents and lying on oath, the plaintiffs want the PDP standard bearers disqualified on the grounds that the waiver granted them by the PDP last month contravened section 177 of the 1999 Constitution.

In the other suit marked FHC/B/CS/75/2020, which has Shaibu, PDP and INEC as first, second and third respondents, respectively, the plaintiffs, apart from accusing Shaibu of also parading false academic documents, want him disqualified for presenting forged tax clearance certificate to INEC in 2006 in aid of his qualification for the 2007 House of Assembly election in Edo State in 2007.

On Shaibu’s academic record, the plaintiffs claimed discrepancies and alleged forgery in his WAEC result, adding that Shaibu’s claim that he obtained a Master of Business Administration (MBA) from the University of Benin in 2012 was false.

APC Campaign Council Accuse Edo Govt of Destroying Ize-Iyamu’s Billboards

Meanwhile, the APC campaign council, which accused Edo State government agents of destroying and removing the billboards of its candidates, said it had petitioned the Commissioner of Police, Mr. Johnson Kokumo, and INEC regarding what it called a “criminal act”. It said the billboards and campaign posters were located at strategic points in Benin City and beyond.

National Vice Chairman of the publicity committee of the campaign council, Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon, said at a press conference in Benin City, the Edo State capital, that the action was “unfortunate” and “criminal.” Obahiagbon stated that the “outdoor billboards and indeed other campaign materials were duly paid for, designed and erected in full compliance with all legal requirements.”

He said, “We are convinced that this act of intolerance, carried out with impunity, foreshadows what the Edo State government has in store for the Edo voters and our supporters in the September 19 election following the emergence of incontrovertible facts that Mr. Godwin Obaseki is on his way to an embarrassing defeat.

“This unfortunate and criminal action took flight on Thursday, the 16th of July, 2020, when the Edo State government allegedly expressly told one Mr. Dave Giwa Amu who is parading himself as the Managing Director of the Edo State Signage and Advertising Agency, to commence immediate removal and destruction of our billboards.”

The campaign council also stated, “The Edo State Signage and Advertising Agency, purportedly led by the so-called Mr. Dave Giwa Amu, an avowed supporter of the incumbent Governor Godwin Obaseki, is an agency that is yet to receive the assent of the Edo State House of Assembly as the bill for its creation and operations is still being considered in the legislative chamber…

“This agency, as of today, is unknown to the laws of Edo State and is being weaponised by the state government, an interested party in the election, to give itself an illegal, unfair, unethical, fraudulent advantage as we approach the polls.

“This is an egregious and opprobrious escalation of other recorded acts of abuse of office and disregard for the law on the part of the Edo State government. It is a new low for a state government and a governor that has blurred and corrosively dimmed the lines on what is personal and official, reserves the interest of the state and that of the parochial interests of the man, who lead it.

“It is unfortunate that as the chief executive of the state, who is expected to commit to peace, rule of law and avoidance of rancour, Governor Godwin Obaseki has continued to heat up the polity with reckless and provocative comments, media blackmail and criminal actions of intolerance, including the mass destruction of opponent’s campaign materials.”

Obahiagbon stated that APC and its candidates remained confident that Edo people already knew where to place their thumbs on September 19 and would not be cowed by the “last kicks of a dying horse”.

The campaign council said, “We will, nonetheless, stop at nothing to ensure that the rule of law prevails in the state and that the governor is made to come to terms with the fact that all constitutional powers have limits and responsibilities and that as it has been said by scholars, nobility commands responsibility.”

But in a swift reaction, Osagie insisted that the Edo State government did not bring down APC candidates’ campaign billboards. In a statement, he said the allegations were ludicrous and unfounded.

He alleged in the statement, “Anyone who knows Ize-Iyamu very well knows that this is his approach to politics. He raises the alarm and cries wolf, when no one is chasing him. The state government has not removed any of his billboards. This is cheap blackmail to score lame political points.

“Ize-Iyamu is a politician that assumes relevance during every election cycle. This is what he does for a living and has no other job. It is not surprising to see these statements from him and his team. He should not be taken seriously, and his statements should be disregarded.

“He would go back to his cocoon after he has been defeated at the September 19, 2020 election and would most likely resurface after four years to repeat this cycle. So, we are used to his childish charades.”

INEC Releases Final List of Candidates

INEC, in compliance with its Timetable and Schedule of Activities, and in accordance with Section 34 of the Electoral Act 2010 (as amended), published the final list of candidates for the 2020 governorship election in Edo State by displaying it in the commission’s offices in the state capital and the 18 local government areas of the state. The list was also uploaded on the commission’s website.

By Section 35 of the Electoral Act and the Timetable and Schedule of Activities of the Commission, withdrawal and substitution of candidates for the Edo Sate governorship election ended on July 13, 2020.

A statement by INEC’s National Commissioner and Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, Festus Okoye, listed the governorship candidates and their deputies as follows:

AA: Edemakhiota Godwin Osaimiamia, deputy, Sunday Johnbull; ADC: Mabel Oboh, deputy, Reuben Agharese Edokpayi; ADP: Ibio Lucky Emmanuel, deputy, Demond Imasuen; and APC: Osagie Andrew Ize-Iyamu, deputy, Audu Ganiyu. Also, listed were APGA: Lucky Osagie Idehen, deputy, Isah Asekhaimeh; APM: Igbineweka Osamuede, deputy, Obiyan Christian; APP: Amos Osalumese Areloegbe, deputy, Afolabi Ogah; and LP: Osifo Uhun-Ekpenma Isaiah, deputy, Omogbelehan Edomoina Pauline.

Others were NNPP: Agolebun Tracy, deputy, Enobhaysobo Jonathan; NRM: Stevie Nash Ozono Osadolor, deputy, Eghe Festus; PDP: Godwin Nogheghase Obaseki, deputy, Philip Shaibu; SDP: Felix Ikezor Obayangbon, deputy, Omion Omonye; YPP: Jones Osagiobare, deputy, Samson Olukayode Idowu; and ZLP: Akhalamhe Amiemenoghena, deputy, Thompson Osadolor.

Okoye said with the publication of the final list of candidates, no political party could withdraw or substitute any of the nominated candidates or tamper with the list and particulars of the candidates in a manner inconsistent with the intendment of the Constitution and the Electoral Act.

“We urge political parties to pay close attention to the timelines stipulated in the Timetable and Schedule of Activities of the Commission as well as the provisions of the Constitution and the Electoral Act,”
https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2020/07/19/olanipekun-four-sans-lead-cases-seeking-to-disqualify-obaseki-shaibu/

The beginning of the end of Obaseki. Pdp 1 in Bayelsa - Apc 1 in Edo.
Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by Heffalump(m): 3:39pm On Jul 19, 2020
All I can say is that, ewedu people are at it again!

Even if they failed once, they keep trying until they can try no more grin
Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jul 19, 2020
Validated:
How much is Olanipekun cashing out this time because the judge will be like

Act 1 Scene 1: Counts 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 are summarily dismissed.

Act 1 Scene 2: Then they will move to Court of appeal. ... Judge will be like, CASE DISMISSED.. the matters are frivolous and stupid of senior lawyers

Act 2 Scene 1: They will move to Supreme court by June 2022.

Act 2 Final Scene: Then Justices led by Justice Amina Augie, after hearing the 5 SANs will put on her glasses and provoke again ... and say:
"You again ... with more tears in my eyes, I cannot believe that in my lifetime, I would see very senior members of the bar bring applications of this nature again to this court which are aimed at desecrating the sanctity of this court, violating the principles and decisions of this court and destroying the esteem on which this court is held.

Who do you think you are? You think you can control me like your wives at home? What affront and audacity. I thought you learnt some lessons the last time. Apparently you have not

“The applications are vexatious, they are frivolous and gross abuse of court process. In the circumstances, the two applications are hereby dismissed and the cost of N40 million each is awarded against the first, second and third applicants respectively in favour of the first, second and third respondents to be paid personally by their respective counsels. Additionally, you 5 SANs are hereby suspended from approaching this court for 60 month."

Obaseki is a goner!

Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by ogundeleai(m): 3:52pm On Jul 19, 2020
Brooklynsouth:
ewedu people are generally envious who's olanipekun confused and inconsequential
You are either kidding or inept about politics in Nigeria..... No lawyer outside Akintola, olanipekun has won more election cases in �� till date...
Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by Dansuqi: 3:55pm On Jul 19, 2020
fergie001:

Ya...?

I think this case is just to rattle Obaseki and/or Shaibu if indeed they did something funny. Other than that, its just merry-go-rounding for the following reasons:

-The case is past 2 weeks the date of the PDP Primaries, hence cannot qualify as a pre-election case (unless we follow Ekwo's reason on Nwosu).

- If its brought as a civil or criminal case, the Governor and his deputy have immunity so are under no obligation to attend proceedings or even enter appearances. The case will however amount to nothing until they no longer have that immunity.

- This case, one way or the other, would have come up at the tribunal where the real case lies.

So, the elections and then the TRIBUNAL (if Obaseki wins) is where I am looking towards.

ejimatic seanfer

ghettokid1 Fuckingmallam45 BuharinaWah powerfulguy...Today na Sunday nah...where is the thread haba.

I think you are missing something.the case is not predicated on the pdp primaries but on when inec published details of what each candidate submitted.the course of action arose from inec and I think theres a portion of the electoral act that addresses that,can't recall.
Apc does not do something to rattle someone, they do it to get something

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by Tifesingz: 3:59pm On Jul 19, 2020
Duru9:
Anyone else having issues with fcmb?
Infact FCMB is the most useless bank I have ever banked with the whole of my life!
I have been trying to make transfer or even withdraw since Friday! As I’m typing like this, I have online exams to write this week, I haven’t eaten anything talkless of thinking about reading! I came to nairaland to look for their customer representative and I saw your comment. I don’t know if you have been able to do anything about it because as I am now, I’m so hungry and no one to call, I have tried everything within my reach! I even added the whatsapp number I saw on their website but no one is replying me!
Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by fergie001: 3:59pm On Jul 19, 2020
Dansuqi:

I think you are missing something.the case is not predicated on the pdp primaries but on when inec published details of what each candidate submitted.the course of action arose from inec and I think theres a portion of the electoral act that addresses that,can't recall.
Apc does not do something to rattle someone, they do it to get something
Justice Odili & Ors had decided on what the cause of action is in an electoral dispute.
The cause of action is the PDP Primaries.

The CoA and Supreme Court also re-affirned same in the case of Lokpobiri v APC & 2 Ors.
The APC Primaries for Bayelsa took place on September 3....names were sent to INEC on the 7th September....PDP filed on the 14th September......Lokpobiri filed on the 19th September.

The Supreme Court told Lokpobiri it was statute-barred.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by seanfer(m): 4:01pm On Jul 19, 2020
fergie001:

Ya...?

ejimatic seanfer

Lying on oath is not a civil matter but a criminal case. Also remember that the Federal High Court deny the affidavit that Obaseki presented in 2016. Interesting times ahead.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olanipekun, Four SANS Lead Cases Seeking To Disqualify Obaseki And Saibu by adenigga(m): 4:03pm On Jul 19, 2020
So, when he contested under APC then no discrepancies?

Nigeria masses will one day liberate themselves from all these almajiris and Afonja's rulers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Kwara Group To Sarkin Fulani: We Will Evict You If You Cause Trouble In Kwara / Father Mbaka: Governor Obiano Is God's Blessing To Anambra State (Photos) / Tinubu Orders Withdrawal Of Policemen From VIPs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.