Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:54 AM

At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? (22526 Views)

Slippers: At What Age Did You Learn To Wear It Right? Picture Attached / Did Your Family Use This Plate & Tray? (Throwback Photo) / What Led To The Greatest Flogging You Received As A Kid?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jul 20, 2020
My mum beat me when I was already working in 2018. I was 21 years old.

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by ndiuelish(m): 4:15pm On Jul 20, 2020
Stephenomozzy:

grin That's nice.. They're our personal angels o.
My best regards to yours.
my regards to yours too.

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by SonofLincoln: 4:31pm On Jul 20, 2020
TonyeBarcanista:

No negative effect! Forget that talk my brother
If you think so. It's not effective where I grew up but i will respect your opinion.
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Sleepaway(f): 4:33pm On Jul 20, 2020
My FATHER!!
Brethren hmm
The last beating I received was on the day I wrote jamb in fact an hour before I wrote the exam I still remember it clearly. I think I was like 15/16.
So we arrived at my centre o he said I should go and check if it's my turn to enter (at 7am o when my exam is 9am) I went o and asked some babe on the queue she was like it's 7am line na I should wait to I went back to tell him, boom I heard one irony hot cold feeling that kind back hand from the front seat to the back. I dunno what happened o but I just left the car I didn't say anything I took my reading materials and went to sit with 9am people. He na came out and went to ask then they told him I should wait inside. I didn't even look at him I just walked in and sat with the lads. Funny thing is after that slap everything I read left as in it flew. Thank God for last minute revision that people were doing I was just listening. Result na came out this man was saying he knew that I would pass that's why he had to correct me. He didn't know I was just planning for him throughout the exam thank God I enter 200 sha. Devil shame that day.

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by ewizard1: 4:49pm On Jul 20, 2020
Burgerlomo:
4 me I can't remember but I chop a lot of these and more grin
I swear, who designed these deserved am Oscar. The use of words alone made me laff to stupor.
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by sulasa07(m): 5:04pm On Jul 20, 2020
magicminister:
With due respect to everyone's opinions; i think whipping a child is tantamount to child abuse and a centimetre shy of slavery.

The average Nigerian child experience their first abuse in the hands of those that should protect them. I might get insulted for this but ever wondered why the average Nigerian is so aggressive? If you disagree with them, they retort to insults? Even wondered why the average Nigerian is very afraid of telling the truth?

It all boils down to upbringing like the one we saw in the video posted earlier. Children are individuals with minds of their own and the best way to raise a child is to win that mind over with any means but intimidation and force.

We have to break the cycle of Abuse!!
We must evolve to a better and greater society!
When you flog a child, you are not teaching them to not repeat same mistake, you are teaching them to make sure they don't get caught!

I challenge every Nairalander to take a different discipline approach this week! If your child mess up, call him or sit, sit them down and explain to them why what they did is wrong and why they must never do it again!! Give them one week punishment of dish washing and take away their phone or game or whatever they really enjoy with the promise to return when they behave better!!
No wonder there are now lots of shits going wrong in the society today,talking alone doesn't and has never worked

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by rafcrown(m): 5:33pm On Jul 20, 2020
Anuoluwa1234:
My father only beat me 3times in his life... And was in primary school when those beating happened.. so I can't even remember the year precisely, cuz he rarely beat me..
Ist time ,Sneaking out ?
2nd time ,Under the mango tree ,after 8pm?
3rd time, hiding him behind the door ?
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Coronavirus2: 6:04pm On Jul 20, 2020
As for my dad he hate beating children but if he must beat, he will use his hand and hit any of my siblings that misbehave (just about three or four hitting)
But I'm the only one among my siblings my dad used cane on (I left what I was cooking and go to a game hall in my area despite my dad warning me not to go there till I finish what I was cooking)
As for my mum, she's complete opposite of my dad.
Back to the matter: I think I was around 14 years or 15 year when i stoped receiving any form of physical correction from my parents
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by jaeyking(m): 6:33pm On Jul 20, 2020
Sparro:

I don't blame you o. Low level IQ is not for everyone. Your loss, not mine

lol. actually yours not mine
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by NiCurious: 6:55pm On Jul 20, 2020
magicminister:
With due respect to everyone's opinions; i think whipping a child is tantamount to child abuse and a centimetre shy of slavery.

The average Nigerian child experience their first abuse in the hands of those that should protect them. I might get insulted for this but ever wondered why the average Nigerian is so aggressive? If you disagree with them, they retort to insults? Even wondered why the average Nigerian is very afraid of telling the truth?

It all boils down to upbringing like the one we saw in the video posted earlier. Children are individuals with minds of their own and the best way to raise a child is to win that mind over with any means but intimidation and force.

We have to break the cycle of Abuse!!
We must evolve to a better and greater society!
When you flog a child, you are not teaching them to not repeat same mistake, you are teaching them to make sure they don't get caught!

I challenge every Nairalander to take a different discipline approach this week! If your child mess up, call him or sit, sit them down and explain to them why what they did is wrong and why they must never do it again!! Give them one week punishment of dish washing and take away their phone or game or whatever they really enjoy with the promise to return when they behave better!!
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by NiCurious: 7:05pm On Jul 20, 2020
Offpoint:

Actually it's PESTLE.

It's actually spelled *PESTEL*
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Burgerlomo: 7:55pm On Jul 20, 2020
ewizard1:

I swear, who designed these deserved am Oscar. The use of words alone made me laff to stupor.

I swear grin

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by cooooooks(m): 9:32pm On Jul 20, 2020
My parents didn't flog me like as if they were mad. In my entire life, my dad flogged me maybe 2 or 3 times.

Furthermore, I was one of their first children. They learned from how they raised us and didn't flog my younger ones.

I don't think my younger siblings were ever flogged tbh.

luminouz:

Yet you dey scream say capital punishment no good.

If not for resetting your brain early, you for don be armes robber now sef grin
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by cooooooks(m): 9:38pm On Jul 20, 2020
I ran a business with my mom.

We have always been close to best friends. But Jesus. I've never met an obstinate coworker like my mom.

When we do disagree, there is nothing like compromise, there's nothing like expert opinion, either her way or the highway.

And my dad will go and hide because he doesn't have strength for our wahala.

Funny thing is by the next day, my mom will be gisting again but we will still be disagreeing on the issue o.

AnonymousRebec:
My mum beat me when I was already working in 2018. I was 21 years old. What was the issue?
It was just my younger bro and I at home with my parents. My bro was on IT and I was working in one of the telcoms company in Lagos, Nigeria. I was on shift not the regular 9-5.

My mum likes to wake up late say around 8:30 am. My bro wakes up earlier to be at work by 8am. Normally, I was up early ones I see that there is light because I like to use my laptop when there is light.
So that morning I woke up around say 7am. Did my own personal prayer while my bro did his and left for his internship. I started using my laptop. My dad, was getting ready for his own work too.
Now, my mum believes all of us at home should always pray together and we all don't mind as long as we can pray very early so that we can start our activities on time.

But my mum will never wake up early. So many times, we will start to sing praise and worship without her because she has refused to wake up early. But immediately she hears that we are already roundig up, she will now come and start dragging us back. She will say she didn't do praise and worship, that she has to do her own. We will be like it is not our fault and that she has to join from the point where she meets us and not drag us back. But she will not listen. So morning prayer that is supposed to be for 1 hour will end up being for nearly 2 hours and this makes us start out day late.

Since all of us know that our mum is like this, we decided that we will wake up early and start our activities, then whenever she wakes up, we will go an join her in prayers.

On this fateful day, my mum woke up at 8:30 am to 9, she called everybody for prayer. It was just my dad and I because my bro had gone to work. Me I was using my laptop to do something that I had to complete before leaving. I didn't join my mum for praise and worship, she kept calling me, I told her I was busy that I would come when I am done.

My father didn't even bother me. He left me alone. But my mum kept calling me, i told her I'll come when I'm done with what i was doing that i won't take long. I wanted to lock the door but in my house we don't have locks on the doors. Only my parent's room have locks. So I could only close the door but she kept opening it.

Ome that is how this women came and wanted to throw my laptop on the floor. She said she is calling me to come and pray and I'm not answering her. I didn't let her throw it oo. I dragged my laptop from her had and told her that infact, I'm not coming again that she and my dad should pray without me.

Naso this woman begin fight me oo. She said I must come and pray. I said I already prayed that she should pray with my dad. My dad was just there telling her to leave me alone but she wasn't listening. She wanted to beat me but I kept holding her hand. The woman did not realise that I'm no longer a small girl.

Eventually, she left me alone and I didn't join her to pray. Only she and my dad prayed. And throughout that day, she was just looking at me with one kind of eye until I left for work.

Now, I have left the house. She and my dad are my good friends but I don't think I want to live in that house again. I just want my space. My mum can be so overbearing and she doesn't know the meaning of giving people their space especially her children. She still feels she can make decisions for us.

These days, I just call my parents to tell them my intentions and I specifically tell my mum that I don't need her opinion on the matter because I have made up my mind to do what i say i will do. I only called her to let her know.

I think she has relaxed because I no longer collect money from neither her nor my dad. I have my money to do whatever I decide to do. So, she knows she can't stop me. It was really tough with the mum I have. I hope I don't collect that her trait of not giving her children space. But overall, she is a wonderful woman and I now love her more since I left the house.

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by luminouz(m): 9:44pm On Jul 20, 2020
cooooooks:
My parents didn't flog me like as if they were mad. In my entire life, my dad flogged me maybe 2 or 3 times.

Furthermore, I was one of their first children. They learned from how they raised us and didn't flog my younger ones.

I don't think my younger siblings were ever flogged tbh.

Those 3 times moulded you so case closed. I bet you cried like a little geh after being caned. grin
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by cooooooks(m): 9:49pm On Jul 20, 2020
They stopped because it had no effect.

If I had cried, they would continued because they may have felt that there was an effect.

By expecting people to cry, you acknowledge that this is just an avenue to meet out barbaric pain.
luminouz:

Those 3 times moulded you so case closed. I bet you cried like a little geh after being caned. grin
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by luminouz(m): 9:55pm On Jul 20, 2020
cooooooks:
They stopped because it had no effect.

If I had cried, they would continued because they may have felt that there was an effect.

By expecting people to cry, you acknowledge that this is just an avenue to meet out barbaric pain.

Yinmu...it had premium effect and you shed ultra premium tears and stopped stealing mummy's meats inside pot...so they left you be.
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Nobody: 11:51pm On Jul 20, 2020
if my pops was still alive i go still dy chop beating
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Afamcy: 3:24am On Jul 21, 2020
At age 34
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by omobamatrix: 12:47pm On Jul 21, 2020
geedot:
My parents never flogged me. But some unexpected slaps every now and then till I graded from secondary school, I guess.

But my Alfa for ile-kewu(Muslim school), holds the record for the person that flogged me the most, that man once flogged me about 50+ strokes of cane. The man wanted me to become a cleric as I was clearly the best student of his, so my flogging na raise to power 2 of other students.

But after beating upon beating, can't even remember the last time I prayed.

Aba Alfa grin
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jul 21, 2020
IIRC, at age 14
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Kihara14: 5:43pm On Jul 21, 2020
Guys guys let's grow our Instagram page. Follow @blurr.tm and @blurr.ng
I follow back immediately. Let's do this guys grin
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by luminouz(m): 8:18am On Aug 13, 2020
Kihara14:
Guys guys let's grow our Instagram page. Follow @blurr.tm and @blurr.ng
I follow back immediately. Let's do this guys grin

For what?
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Elmaaq: 10:49am On Jul 17, 2021
shinarlaura:
My parents never flogged me.
how's this even possible �
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by shinarlaura(f): 6:09pm On Jul 17, 2021
Elmaaq:
how's this even possible �

It is. I never experienced flopping from my parents. It was only in school

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by HajiaNotu: 8:30pm On Jul 17, 2021
My dad stopped flogging when I passed my Waec cheesy

I was stubborn as a kid no doubt but my DAD was also adamant to make süre I am well- mannered.

Oh nooo, all those days he would check my note if I copied my not es and If I dare leave spaces in my books for notes to be copied later, he will beat the living daylights out of me.

I still fear, love and respect my parents till date because of those trainings.
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Elmaaq: 12:24am On Jul 18, 2021
shinarlaura:

It is. I never experienced flopping from my parents. It was only in school
very few Africans can say this
I was almost killed all say na beating I still remember cursing the day I was born lol
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by SonofGod231: 2:27pm On Jul 18, 2021
At 22 my Dad Slapped me publicly for drinking and misbehaving at a family function.
At 25 my Mum gave me a dirty Slap for going against her wish,I really felt like hitting her back that day but thank God I didn't.But I can't forget.
Today,When ever I call any of them,Dem go dey thank me any how just for calling.
Just Last year,I say make I test dem.I asked my Dad for 450K within 3weeks he sent it then I asked my Mum for 150K,that same day she sent it but I don't know why i don't have that love for them like I should.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Photo: Fire Roasts 4 Children Of Same Parents To Death On Xmas Day In Anambra / AWidow That Didn't Visit Me When I Gave Birth Expects Christmas Money From Me / Bottling Up Your Emotions Is Not Healthy: You Will Soon Snap!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.