Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,196 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:04 PM

At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? (22452 Views)

Did Your Family Use This Plate & Tray? (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by whytediamond(m): 6:10am On Jul 20, 2020
Dd
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Nobody: 6:11am On Jul 20, 2020
Between the ages of 12 and 14
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by stonemasonn: 6:11am On Jul 20, 2020
17 or 18 I think. But I fought back, enough was enough.

3 Likes

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by tunary(m): 6:11am On Jul 20, 2020
Lol hilarious question
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by jesse8048(m): 6:12am On Jul 20, 2020
I thought I was around 14 years, we were five boys maybe all stubborn by my mum's standard. My parents called all of us one morning and said from today, they won't flog us again. You're free to do whatever you want. Guess what, that was actually the end of my stubbornness. I retraced my steps.

11 Likes

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by obowunmi(m): 6:12am On Jul 20, 2020
My parents especially my dad was a DEVIL.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Nobody: 6:12am On Jul 20, 2020
TOPCRUISE:
The reason why some ladies dress indecently and twerk on Instagram and shake and showcase their water melons in twitter, is because they lacks home training and the necessary discipline to make them cultured human being. If they have strict and hard parenting, they won't get close in doing such
FEMALE KIDS are usually meant to be flogged Longer.
Some should be flogged into their Final Year.
Some should be flogged till marriage.
Some are also meant to be flogged as wives but this time by their husbands

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Terver90: 6:13am On Jul 20, 2020

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Rilwayne001: 6:14am On Jul 20, 2020
I was really stubborn as a kid. My dad flogged me up till Junior Secondary two (2). Then I moved in to my brother, and he'd flog me even after I finished secondary school, despite been taller than him. Until he tried shouting at me one day, and the wicked way I looked at him, he just shut up and ever since, he dared not raised his hand on me.

Today I'm a really respected figure in the house. They all respect my opinion and really run to me for advice most times. Lol.

8 Likes

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Nobody: 6:15am On Jul 20, 2020
TOPCRUISE:
Cause of cultism is as a result of Bad parenting. The reason why some ladies dress indecently and twerk on Instagram and shake and showcase their water melons in twitter, is because they lacks home training and the necessary discipline to make them cultured human being. If they have strict and hard parenting, they won't get close in doing such

Depends.

There are people who were brought up very strictly, and who 'dress indecently' and there are cultists who came from good and strict homes as well.

The thing is, when you become a parent, you can only guide your child, discipline your child, and hope that when he or she gets out of the house, he would appreciate the reason why you had to give him or her the discipline he or she needed.

At the end of the day, if a child sees the discipline as unnecessary wickedness to constrict him or her, and refuses to see the big picture...chances are that child will rebel, and rebel well.

6 Likes

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Ajstyles01(m): 6:16am On Jul 20, 2020
I was 16 yrs wen he stp, i wanted writing waec then

Chai my father deal with me that year ehnn

cause of going to play ball, i too collect from koboko to twine to hose to belt to wire to dos black belt for engine and many more
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by ariefadenco: 6:17am On Jul 20, 2020
There is no end to chastisement until you become a responsible being or until you stop living under their roof.
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by segun18(m): 6:18am On Jul 20, 2020
Mine was 17 which was a slap from nowhere.My mother! She attacks with anything in sight when she is raging..Broom ,Long spoon,slippers etc.

Another unusual attack formula is to hold your clothe and bit you.

Anyone with an Ondo state mum in the house say Aye!!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Olalekank(m): 6:19am On Jul 20, 2020
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Offpoint: 6:20am On Jul 20, 2020
The age you stopped being disobedience and stupid...
The canning will stop coming.

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by JuanDeDios: 6:21am On Jul 20, 2020
Mikkymilli:
In light of a recent trending video of a father flogging his daughter, a lot of people were of the opinion that she wasn't supposed to be flogged since she is 18 while majority (on twitter and nairaland) were in support of the father disciplining his daughter for going against his order.

On this note, I'll like to ask 'What age were you when your parents stopped flogging you?'
And also, 'What age do you think is the right age for a parent to stop flogging the child?'

As for me, I think i was 12 then. My mom would use different tools like garri turner, slippers, cane, etc. Looking back now, I know it was all to mould me into the gentleman I am today.
As for the second question, I think the flogging should stop before the child gets to senior secondary level so he/she won't develop an everlasting hatred for you (the parent) cos that teenage age can make or mar your relationship with your child. The child can be disciplined via other means, but not necessarily flogging.

The floor is open guys. What's your take on it?

Why do you think it's necessary to flog a child of any age?

3 Likes

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by sandland: 6:22am On Jul 20, 2020
Somehow no flogging. But you must do what she wants you to do. Lost my dad early in life.
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Gkay1(m): 6:24am On Jul 20, 2020
I can't remember that now, today is Monday, first working day in the new week. give us good news not all this stuff.
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Nobody: 6:24am On Jul 20, 2020
EVILFOREST:

FEMALE KIDS are naturally meant to be flogged Longer.
Some should be flogged into their Final Year.
Some should be flogged till marriage.
Some are also meant to be flogged as wives but this time by their husbands

Well, one of my seniors in school once knew a girl who was 'brought up strictly' in his own words, till she was a young adult, then she 'rebelled'

The thing about discipline is, it isn't meat to be used as a means of coercion, it is meant to be used as a thing of improvement (and even then, the word may not be correct).

You can flog a female child for ages, and she won't change (and flogging an adult is basically assault, whether male or female, married or unmarried, and if a husband is stooping to flog his wife, it indicates the man was very unwise and immature , like his wife....and he made bad decisions in the first place. It also means that the marriage is made up of immature people.).

You cannot change people by violence alone. Using the rod constantly is at the end of the day going to provoke the opposite reaction of what you want.At some point you have to let an adult be an adult. And if an adult has not learned the lessons of discipline as a child, flogging him or her to learn as an adult is not going to change anything (and would lead to unfortunate circumstances long term).

7 Likes

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Offpoint: 6:25am On Jul 20, 2020
Bonatheripper:
My grandma aim or Throw me pistol

Like pounding pistol at age 24

After I carried her N3000 to play bet9ja

It's actually spelled *PESTLE*

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Edusouls(m): 6:25am On Jul 20, 2020
Hahahaha can see that most that comment on nairaland are mainly people born from middle 1990’s into 2000, we are the last Good set of humans which arrived at Good times in great 80’s the gone Good old days, we saw our parents as gods, cos discipline was just the code from home to school to church, to the society, once u misbehave the society starts disciplining you even before ur parents, that’s why we are the last breed of the unique generation..
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Nobody: 6:25am On Jul 20, 2020
My parents don't believe in beating or flogging a child i can't remember that happening , the beatings i receive was anytime i visit relatives during holidays , it stopped when i started feeling too big to go for holiday vacation at 14.
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by superfitsez(m): 6:26am On Jul 20, 2020
mine stopped after we took over post from ss2,see eh,for my school that time, for seminary,I chop cane reach 16,if I reach house too I go collect,,my nyash come turn to black to navy black, only seminary know what's navy black lol
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Sunsets: 6:26am On Jul 20, 2020
Old age
Mikkymilli:
In light of a recent trending video of a father flogging his daughter, a lot of people were of the opinion that she wasn't supposed to be flogged since she is 18 while majority (on twitter and nairaland) were in support of the father disciplining his daughter for going against his order.

On this note, I'll like to ask 'What age were you when your parents stopped flogging you?'
And also, 'What age do you think is the right age for a parent to stop flogging the child?'

As for me, I think i was 12 then. My mom would use different tools like garri turner, slippers, cane, etc. Looking back now, I know it was all to mould me into the gentleman I am today.
As for the second question, I think the flogging should stop before the child gets to senior secondary level so he/she won't develop an everlasting hatred for you (the parent) cos that teenage age can make or mar your relationship with your child. The child can be disciplined via other means, but not necessarily flogging.

The floor is open guys. What's your take on it?
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by holuwasheyiWGP(m): 6:27am On Jul 20, 2020
When they realized I'm old enough to beat them
Which was around 15

2 Likes

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by guru90: 6:27am On Jul 20, 2020
KickTribalism:
Well, I would say immediately the child start to make decisions for he/herself...

=

As the owner of the house abi..

Not supported.
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Freestainworld(m): 6:28am On Jul 20, 2020
this flogging issue ee, where I come from if you are not careful, you will be collecting it through slap even though you don marry, and you won't do anything because they are your parents.
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Bonn01: 6:28am On Jul 20, 2020
Well. I was flogged till age 17. I just want to add this. Sometimes flogging doesn't change a child, it can make a child rebellious. If there is need to flog a child, flog him and her. Afterwards tell him/she the reason for the beating.

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Olalekank(m): 6:28am On Jul 20, 2020
magicminister:
With due respect to everyone's opinions; i think whipping a child is tantamount to child abuse and a centimetre shy of slavery.

The average Nigerian child experience their first abuse in the hands of those that should protect them. I might get insulted for this but ever wondered why the average Nigerian is so aggressive? If you disagree with them, they retort to insults? Even wondered why the average Nigerian is very afraid of telling the truth?

It all boils down to upbringing like the one we saw in the video posted earlier. Children are individuals with minds of their own and the best way to raise a child is to win that mind over with any means but intimidation and force.

We have to break the cycle of Abuse!!
We must evolve to a better and greater society!
It irks me
The average parent would take delight in making sure that their children are scared of them - by employing different means from emotional to physical abuse.

It affects child - parent relationship and sometimes, it is too late before the parent realises it.

I cannot say the best way to raise a child as I'm not close to being there yet, but I believe whipping is plain wrong.

2 Likes

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Duru9(m): 6:30am On Jul 20, 2020
Age 8 after I left them to stay with an uncle
So uncle wife continue till Age 16
It ended there
Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by cynhamscakes(f): 6:30am On Jul 20, 2020
When I finished secondary school.

My mum sha beat me wella and to be honest her discipline straightened me 100%. She is the reason I am focused and not on the streets today.

She used real iron hands on me and stooped me from going astray.

My mum did a good job on me. I have to give her that full credit.

On the other hand, if you need a really good cake delivered in Abuja, kindly contact me to place your order. Call/whatsapp 07034794947.

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did Your Parents Stop Flogging You? by Stomoney(m): 6:30am On Jul 20, 2020
Slapped yesterday by my father at 30. Why? He accused me wrongly and while trying to explain to him I got hitted. I got mad when he later knew I wasn't at fault and now wants me to prostrate and apologize cry. Which I refused to till now

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Sick Homeless Man Spotted In Gwarimpa, Abuja (Photos) / Divorce: Court Dissolves Asiya Ganduje & Inuwa Uba's Marriage / To Igbo Peeps In The House, Please What Is ''nnta''?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.