Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

‘Obaseki Told Me He Was Not Interested In Second Term’ - Capt. Hosa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘Obaseki Told Me He Was Not Interested In Second Term’ - Capt. Hosa (1137 Views)

Anambra: Yoruba Community Celebrates Unity, Successes In Second Home / Dear North, Obaseki Told You The Honest Truth / Obaseki Replies Capt. Hosa: 'I’m Innocent Of Your Accusations' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘Obaseki Told Me He Was Not Interested In Second Term’ - Capt. Hosa by BleedingPen: 5:34pm On Jul 20, 2020
...Says The Governor Threatened To ‘deal With’ Him Over Oshiomhole

Renowned entrepreneur and billionaire philanthropist, Captain Hosa Wells Okunbo, on Monday, said Governor Godwin Obaseki once told him he won't be seeking re-election at the expiration of his first tenure.

In a personally signed statement made available to Igbere TV on Monday, Okunbo accused Mr. Obaseki of serially attacking him through orchestrated campaign of calumny to damage his reputation.

He said those attacks were engineered by the Edo state government under the watch of Obaseki over his(Okunbo’s) alleged support for APC/Ize-Iyamu in the Edo 2020 Governorship election.

Okunbo said: “My dear people of edo state, the fundamental question, yearning for answer, is: what wrong did I commit for identifying with Governor Obaseki and galvanizing support for his administration?

“In the course of time, I heard he started having issues with former Governor, Comrade Adams Aliu Oshiomhole and, I was quite worried and vehemently pleaded with him to settle whatever the issues were and embrace the path of peace in the interest of the good people of Edo State. As a stakeholder in the state, I advised on the need to allow wisdom drive his decision-making processes. I emphasized the critical position of leadership he occupies. I further espoused the virtues of patience and sacrifice in public service as I considered these as sine qua non to achieving one’s vision.

“Following a series of complaints of abandonment by his friends and associates from the political class who knew my relationship with the Governor, I recommended to the Governor to bifurcate between politics and Governance. I recommended the need to appoint a trusted and experienced politician to bridge the gap and manage his relationship with the political wing of his administration so as to avoid distraction as he faces the onerous task of steering the business of moving the State towards economic and developmental prosperity.

“He, however, rejected my proposal and insisted politicians were rogues and would not patronize them or see them in Government House. Governor Obaseki told me without mincing words. He emphasized he would not be moved an inch about their responses or feelings on this particular issue, reiterating he did not need their support either. He told me clearly that he was not interested in pursuing any SECOND TERM agenda.

“At a time, I spent almost three hours of my precious time in the Governor’s house, explaining to him the need to build synergy between him and Comrade Adams Oshiomhole, the then APC National Chairman, in the best interest of the development of our State. He was blunt that he was not interested in any peace talk and that he was embarking on a fight to the finish with Comrade Oshiomhole. Again, to prove that he meant every word of his threat, he sent a mutual friend to me that night when I got home with a warning that I should steer clear from the ensuing fight between him and Comrade Oshiomhole, else, he would inflict severe collateral damage on me. In fact, I was stunned by his message, yet I put a call to him the next morning to confirm the veracity or otherwise of this message delivered to me by our mutual friend. He confirmed it.

“Following a series of very disturbing, ugly and unacceptable developments, I decided to hands off the matter. Indeed, I felt I had done all I could possibly to engender a peaceful atmosphere for governance and development of our state.”

The business mogul who however admitted that he was approached to run for governorship but turned it down, called on President Buhari and the people of Edo state to prevail on Obaseki to ‘leave him alone.’

“Now, to hazard a guess as to why I became a target of unconscionable attacks by agents some of whom have claimed to be working for Edo State Government: it is true that overtures were made to me by well-meaning Nigerians from within and outside Edo State to run for the office of governor in 2020. I made them realise that there are several ways one can be of service to his people, not necessarily by holding public office and that I am satisfied with the business trajectories that I had charted for myself right from the outset and wasn’t interested in the office of the governor.

“I believe, on getting this hint, the Governor decided to bare his full fangs, seeking to tear me apart. He did not want me to run for the position; yet he never sat with me at any point in time to solicit for my support and vote for his second term bid. The only time he made a remark about the governorship to me was at a reception in Lagos where he mockingly addressed me as “IN-COMING GOVERNOR”, which I immediately dispelled and told him, like I was telling others, that I wasn’t interested in the office of the governor.

“Coincidentally, on that same day that the reception held in Lagos, the story of Nigerian Ports Authority’s move against my company, SAA, was published in THISDAY newspapers. The story insinuated I was interested in the Edo governorship race and numerous reports have come back to me that Obaseki was the one behind all of that.

“As God would have it, while in the company of some friends in the governor’s house in Benin, on one occasion, I confronted him that he was the one behind the attack on my company. In a bid to defend himself, he put a call through to someone in Lagos and, perhaps, mistakenly, left the phone speaker on.  He asked the person at the other end: “Why is the MD of NPA worrying Captain?” and the man replied: “Godwin, I thought you said this man was fighting you. The MD of NPA is fighting your battle for you.” I quickly told him that I had caught him. On this occasion, I had witnesses and, if further probed, names could be mentioned.

“Secondly, Governor Obaseki was the Chair of the National Economic Council’s Ad-Hoc Committee on Oil Theft and Pipeline Vandalism and I got a feeler that a damaging report was going to be written about my company by the Committee. I was then given an opportunity to address the Committee on the matter to defend my company and its job. My defence was excellently delivered, but at the end of the day, when the report came out, it was still damaging even when I had complied with my threshold and responsibilities.

“In the face of all these developments, I had maintained a high sense of equanimity, without taking it out on the governor. I stayed out of their politics, and made it publicly known I was not interested in the office of the governor because I knew from the outset that these attacks were, largely, politically-motivated. I guessed there were also shades of envy involved.”

Dr. Okunbo, who had come under heavy attacks from people believed to be agents of Governor Obaseki over his alleged support towards Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu’s ambition, however, denied facilitating his return to the APC.

“When Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu returned to the All Progressives Congress (APC), Governor Obaseki and his men attacked me for facilitating his return to the Party, which came as a surprise to me. Pastor Ize-Iyamu is not unknown to many people as a politician and as a Nigerian; everyone knows he has his constitutional right like everyone else to join any party and legitimately play politics. So why attribute his return to me?

“My dear people of Edo State, what have I done wrong to deserve the barrage of invectives being ceaselessly hurled at me by agents of the State Government? Even for the purpose of argument, don’t I have a right to associate with and support a candidate of my choice?”.

https://igberetvnews.com/1358776/obaseki-told-interested-second-term-capt-hosa/

Lalasticlala Seun Mynd44

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘Obaseki Told Me He Was Not Interested In Second Term’ - Capt. Hosa by donbachi(m): 5:40pm On Jul 20, 2020
Oga leave dat talk...nobody wey dem go pour honey inside him mouth,go spit am out.

2 Likes

Re: ‘Obaseki Told Me He Was Not Interested In Second Term’ - Capt. Hosa by Queenttoast01: 5:49pm On Jul 20, 2020
Maybe he didn't trust you enough grin

3 Likes

Re: ‘Obaseki Told Me He Was Not Interested In Second Term’ - Capt. Hosa by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jul 20, 2020
Because he once told you that he won't contest for 2nd term does not mean that he does not have the right to contest

3 Likes

Re: ‘Obaseki Told Me He Was Not Interested In Second Term’ - Capt. Hosa by hisexcellency34: 6:00pm On Jul 20, 2020
Capt Hosa is taking this too personal

3 Likes

Re: ‘Obaseki Told Me He Was Not Interested In Second Term’ - Capt. Hosa by Unigrad: 6:32pm On Jul 20, 2020
Everyone of them is fighting for the political and pocket interest on the detriment of Edo State. Edo people are wiser now.

3 Likes

Re: ‘Obaseki Told Me He Was Not Interested In Second Term’ - Capt. Hosa by ThatFairGuy: 6:40pm On Jul 20, 2020
Obaseki, the great emperor. The green snake under green grass. Forget all media propaganda by those KNOWN BADLUCK, POI is winning this. Las Las, Edo no be Igboland . The crowd our respected former chairman pulled at Auchi(despite entering late) compare to Shaibu's speaks volume. ONLY if they know that constituency voting strength.
Meanwhile, all we know is that, The agenda is SIMPLE

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘Obaseki Told Me He Was Not Interested In Second Term’ - Capt. Hosa by justified007: 6:44pm On Jul 20, 2020
EastGold:
Because he once told you that he won't contest for 2nd term does not mean that he does not have the right to contest

And that means the man can't support whoever he wishes ? When did political support turned to do or die affairs

5 Likes

Re: ‘Obaseki Told Me He Was Not Interested In Second Term’ - Capt. Hosa by bankole200(m): 6:47pm On Jul 20, 2020
Obaseki should show sportsmanship in this game of politics. He sees anybody opposing him as his arc enemy. He should remember that power is transient.

2 Likes

Re: ‘Obaseki Told Me He Was Not Interested In Second Term’ - Capt. Hosa by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jul 20, 2020
bankole200:
Obaseki should show sportsmanship in this game of politics. He sees anybody opposing him as his arc enemy. He should remember that power is transient.

What consigns Bankole from amala eating Republic with what is happening in Edo state. Face front go meet tinubu

1 Like

Re: ‘Obaseki Told Me He Was Not Interested In Second Term’ - Capt. Hosa by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jul 20, 2020
ThatFairGuy:
Obaseki, the great emperor. The green snake under green grass. Forget all media propaganda by those KNOWN BADLUCK, POI is winning this. Las Las, Edo no be Igboland . The crowd our respected former chairman pulled at Auchi(despite entering late) compare to Shaibu's speaks volume. ONLY if they know that constituency voting strength.
Meanwhile, all we know is that, The agenda is SIMPLE

Lol I just dey laugh you. Pepper go soon enter your eye

1 Like

Re: ‘Obaseki Told Me He Was Not Interested In Second Term’ - Capt. Hosa by BENZINA(m): 7:52pm On Jul 20, 2020
So it is true! Many months ago, stories have flies that Captain Hosa is involved in the power-play politics in Edo state, few people thought it to be true considering the respect the Edolites owe Hosa.
I respect Captain Hosa too, but what he has involved himself with in Edo state is nothing more than, "Penny wise pound foolish".
People say you're a billionaire, a philanthropist, a political sponsor and a close man to the revered traditional palace. But I expected him to be submissive to the yearnings and cries of the Edo people.
The Edo people have picked Obaseki Godwin to continue as Governor of their state, all Edo indigens are suppose to key in to this without fear or favour. It is sad that then Captain Hosa align with his good friends of Oshiomhole and Kabaka to do the dirty job on Obaseki. God is watching! EDO NOR BE LAGOS.
Re: ‘Obaseki Told Me He Was Not Interested In Second Term’ - Capt. Hosa by ThatFairGuy: 1:38am On Jul 21, 2020
Edoloaded:

Lol I just dey laugh you. Pepper go soon enter your eye
Stop giving yourself FALSE HOPE. It's crystal clear. No be thesame Edo!

1 Like

Re: ‘Obaseki Told Me He Was Not Interested In Second Term’ - Capt. Hosa by Nobody: 8:28am On Jul 21, 2020
ThatFairGuy:

Stop giving yourself FALSE HOPE. It's crystal clear. No be thesame Edo!

Wetin afonja like u know about Edo, guy shift grin
Re: ‘Obaseki Told Me He Was Not Interested In Second Term’ - Capt. Hosa by Judeerons32: 8:38am On Jul 21, 2020
Obaseki will meet his waterloo. Politics is not do or die. It's not about trying to destroy the lives of opponents.it is about talk ur own I talk my own
Capt is a an industrialist.if Godwin destroys his business I guess the people who will loose their jobs does not concern him. Edo people will correct the mistakes of 2016 on Sept 19,2020
Re: ‘Obaseki Told Me He Was Not Interested In Second Term’ - Capt. Hosa by sapientia(m): 8:49am On Jul 21, 2020
He told You not Edo people.

And you have no proof

May as well be hear say
Re: ‘Obaseki Told Me He Was Not Interested In Second Term’ - Capt. Hosa by Nobody: 9:17am On Jul 21, 2020
Judeerons32:
Obaseki will meet his waterloo. Politics is not do or die. It's not about trying to destroy the lives of opponents.it is about talk ur own I talk my own
Capt is a an industrialist.if Godwin destroys his business I guess the people who will loose their jobs does not concern him. Edo people will correct the mistakes of 2016 on Sept 19,2020

Guy shuruuupppp. U dey spill garbage, Which edo people
Re: ‘Obaseki Told Me He Was Not Interested In Second Term’ - Capt. Hosa by Judeerons32: 9:24am On Jul 21, 2020
Only you is Edo people? I am Edo I have my say likewise others who will vote.but I am not surprised Obaseki supporters just want to be crowned governor without contest. It is democracy if you have the numbers wait till Sept 19 no need for the insults or intolerance.
Edoloaded:

Guy shuruuupppp. U dey spill garbage, Which edo people
Re: ‘Obaseki Told Me He Was Not Interested In Second Term’ - Capt. Hosa by Nobody: 9:46am On Jul 21, 2020
Judeerons32:
Only you is Edo people? I am Edo I have my say likewise others who will vote.but I am not surprised Obaseki supporters just want to be crowned governor without contest. It is democracy if you have the numbers wait till Sept 19 no need for the insults or intolerance.

All these one na long talk.... Edo can never go to a thief like Ize iyamu

Rest abeg grin
Re: ‘Obaseki Told Me He Was Not Interested In Second Term’ - Capt. Hosa by etibaba(m): 9:53am On Jul 21, 2020
EastGold:
Reading doesn't kill Read the content and not just the topic.

(1) (Reply)

How People Live In Ibadan.... / Nmfb Loan / Gumi: There Would've Been Uproar If Adeboye Had Negotiated With Terrorists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.