Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,074 members, 7,811,012 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:41 PM

Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme (5405 Views)

Why Peter Obi Was Admitted To UNN With Pass In English And Math (pic) / DSS, Army Intimidated Voters, INEC Officials – US Department Of State / Governor El-Rufa Opens Mudassir & Brothers Department Store In Kaduna (photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by NgeneUkwuneee: 9:53am On Jul 21, 2020
Mr. John Ibeh dropped his comment on this article. We have decided to publish it to give it more exposure.

I want to share a personal experience with you while doing my postgraduate programme (MSC) in Economics Department at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka. We were three friends while in my undergraduate, graduated, and finished our Youth Service Corp in 2016. We decided to enroll for our master’s immediately. I enrolled in the UNN Economics Department, my friend, Kunle enrolled in Unilag, while Kingsley enrolled in University of Ibadan.
Notice, three of us graduated with cumulative GP of above 4.0 and can boast of being above average student. The three of us gained admission in the 2017 academic calendar to our respective choice universities to do our Master programme in economics. However, we are not all truly fortunate, fate and different circumstances separated us.
Kunle finished his MSc in Economics within one year in Unilag, by end of 2018, he has finished his thesis and by early 2019 has received his certificate of MSc. Kingsley equally finished his MSc in 2018 and by mid-2019, his certificate was ready.

In my experience, I wrote the UNN postgraduate exam and I scored 76 and was admitted. I accepted the offer by paying my acceptance fee, but little did I know I made my worst mistake in academics when I accepted the offer. It took the Department of Economics six months to start lectures after other departments have started receiving lecture.
I taught that I have seen it all, little did I know that there are Lecturers that see themselves as gods that no one questions their actions or inactions. One of such lecturers is the PG coordinator who later became the HOD of the department. In my entire life, I have never seen anyone so arrogant, mannerless, and so unprofessional. He is rude, cruel, and not qualified to be in academic not to talk of being a PG coordinator or even HOD where things are normal without godfatherism.

Our issue started when one of the students reported the Department to PG school about the inconsistency of the Lecturers and lackadaisical attitude towards lecture timetable. He came to class and chase the guy that reported the department to the PG school out of exam hall, shouting and screaming that not even the university authority can question him. He was literariy mad that if you are not emotionally strong you will forget all you have read before the exam.

What amazed me is that the said Dr chased the guy out of the exam hall simply because he wrote a letter to PG school complaining of the lecturers not keeping to time table and fixing lectures randomly, yet, nothing was done by the university to remedy the situation after several complaints. THE GUY LOST HIS ADMISSION AND THE FEES HE HAS ALREADY PAID SIMPLY BECAUSE HE COMPLAINED.

The Economic Department in UNN is so disjointed, disorganized, and lack process worse than the poorest state university in Nigeria. All these issues happened when Dr is the PG coordinator and the worst happened in 2019 when he was made the HOD of the Department.

Prior to him being the HOD, the department postgraduate programme was crawling and shaking but when he was appointed the HOD by his cronies (fellow perpetrators) the worst happened. Everything in the department was halted and put on a standstill. As at the time of making this post not even a single person has presented their thesis proposal in my set.

What blew my mind that finally prompt me to make this information public as a warning to those that are considering UNN economic department for their postgraduate is my investigation into the 2016 postgraduate academic set – those before us. My investigation reveals that;

1. Immediately after the Dr became the HOD, the department only had two MSc Seminer proposal and nobody have graduated or finished their MSc under the watch of Dr. Jude including his supervisee.

2. Only one of all the supervisees under him in 2015 (FIVE YEARS OF DOING MASTER) set have proposed and graduated and NONE of his supervisee in 2016 (FOUR YEARS OF DOING MASTERS) set have proposed and graduated. What shocked me is that my investigation into the academic records of his supervisee in both 2015 and 2016 set revealed that majority of his supervisee are above average and ideally should have finished their thesis. In particular, he is the only person who NONE of his supervisee have graduated or finished his/her thesis from 2015 and 2016 set despite the academic record of the supervisees showing they are above average.

3. I discovered that those students who have graduated from the department are those whose supervisors are willing to tussle it out with him and ensure their supervisee is released but that changed anyway since he became the ALMIGHTY HOD.

4. I discovered that Dr made a covenant that he will frustrate all his supervisees and all PG students because he was delayed by his own supervisor while he was doing his Ph.D. programmes.

5. I discovered that it would take the fastest student with a good supervisor (from 2017 academic calendar) till the end of 2021 (5 years) to finish their MSc in UNN going by the trend of things. I discovered also that it will eventually take some till 2024 (8 years) to finish their MSc in UNN especially those he is supervising.

6. For me, I have enrolled for another MSc in the University of Lagos (UNILAG) since 2020 and am confident I will obtain my MSc before the fastest person in UNN 2017 set. WHAT AN ACADEMIC SHAME. I believe ASUU and the PG school should be ashamed of themselves because these are part of the things they should be checkmating to protect the students and their image.

WHY YOU WILL BE FOOLISH TO GO AND ENROLL FOR MASTER’S IN ECONOMICS DEPARTMENT AT UNN FOR 2020/2021 ACADEMIC SESSION.

a. I interviewed 20 persons doing their MSc currently at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) from both the 2016 and 2017 academic sessions and all the 20 persons regretted enrolling for their MSc in UNN.

b. The said Dr is still the HOD and PG coordinator even after one year of being appointed as the HOD he is still the PG coordinator (both HOD and PG coordinator you can go and verify).

c. The worst that can happen to you is that he is assigned to be your supervisor. If you find yourself in such a position, you will be a FOOL after this warning to go ahead and accept the offer. You will have yourself to blame.

d. More than 50 percent of the lecturers at UNN are not dedicated to their work and don’t respect time. They are simply not cultured at all and feel like they are gods. Yes, few of them are good and sound but they are simply not CULTURED.

e. The management of PG school in UNN doesn’t care about student complaints. In fact, the management is aware of what is happening in UNN and has failed to do anything about it. We have recordings and videos of where the Dr is ranting and threatening students with brimstone and fire and the management failed to act.

f. UNN Economics department is not in any way better than those other fast universities like UNILAG, University of Ibadan, ABU, UNIBEN, UNIPORT, among others. They are only living in past glory. If you doubt any information here go and investigate the information released here, I challenge the authority to investigate the claims in this article.

I also challenge CBN not to continue using the Economics department UNN as an extension for their postgraduate Economics programmes. They can use other universities in the East. I challenge the Central Bank of Nigeria to investigate the issue also.

https://www.operanewsapp.com/ng/en/share/detail?news_id=22a8090cf50ce90039104ad967cdd9c5&news_entry_id=22eaba24200720en_ng&open_type=transcoded&request_id=HOME_PAGE_254b4c42&from=h5station&sharesource=whats_app

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by NgeneUkwuneee: 9:55am On Jul 21, 2020
Lalasticlala pls we need this to go viral

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by LudaChriz(m): 9:57am On Jul 21, 2020
This is deep
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Oluwabusobomi(f): 9:59am On Jul 21, 2020
Why will one person be both the HOD and PG Coordinator. Men no de that Department?

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Beress(m): 10:01am On Jul 21, 2020
Our universities generally need total overhauling. There are lots of impunity going on

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Jombojombo(m): 10:06am On Jul 21, 2020
Emperor Dr. Jude Okechukwu Chukwu grin

11 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Chudivictor(m): 10:09am On Jul 21, 2020
hmmm
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by WeNoGoDie(m): 10:15am On Jul 21, 2020
THIS SHOULD GO TO THE FRONT PAGE ASAP.
THE OP SHOULD PROVIDE THE NAME OF THAT HOD.
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by celeiyke: 12:00pm On Jul 21, 2020
An article with no name of author is nothing but a FAKE NEWS

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by BluntTheApostle(m): 12:19pm On Jul 21, 2020
Every public university in Nigeria has at least one department where nothing works, where results come late, where lectures start later than in other departments, where there is a lecturer who thinks he is God, where almost all the lecturers are lazy as fvck.

And I have noticed that many economics departments in public universities in Nigeria have the same problems of heartless lecturers, slow result processing and overall delayed academic issues and extreme frustration.

4 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Yorubasarecurse: 12:27pm On Jul 21, 2020
You need to attach his photos for everyone to see this devil in human skin.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by festacman(m): 12:40pm On Jul 21, 2020
If you are a LION and doesn't feel ASHAMED after reading this, something is wrong with your conscience. Sad narratives from a university that has fallen in values. Really sad.

The complainant should make CBN, NUC and UNN Alumni aware of these facts. Please don't just walk or rather away to UNILAG and allow the evil in UNN to continue.

4 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by johnykgoal: 12:48pm On Jul 21, 2020
celeiyke:
For security reason i think

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by LaboPolitics: 1:14pm On Jul 21, 2020
My advise to post-graduate students in Nigerian Universities- Once you get your admission, try to find out the kind of person your supervisor is. Is he/she approachable? Are his/her students doing well during Seminar defense, Thesis proposal/defense? Is he or she always around or gallivanting around the world in the guise of attending one conference or another and yet won't allow you get an Assistant supervisor to help you while away?

If the supervisor fails in any of the questions above. Please RUN. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON TUITION. Find another school for your PGD, M.Sc and PhD studies.

I have two Doctorates and I speak from experience.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by FieldMarshall06(m): 1:24pm On Jul 21, 2020
LaboPolitics:
My advise to post-graduate students in Nigerian Universities- Once you get your admission, try to find out the kind of person your supervisor is. Is he/she approachable? Are his/her students doing well during Seminar defense, Thesis proposal/defense? Is he or she always around or gallivanting around the world in the guise of attending conference or another and yet won't allow you get an Assistant supervisor to help you while away?

If the supervisor fails in any of the questions above. Please RUN. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON TUITION. Find another school for your PGD, M.Sc and PhD studies.

Hmm, you have 2 doctorates , you must think we are stupid here.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by LaboPolitics: 1:30pm On Jul 21, 2020
FieldMarshall06:

[s]Hmm, you have 2 doctorates , you must think we are stupid here. [/s]

I don't give a damn what a mor0nic scamp like you thinks. It changes nothing. I have nothing to prove to you buddy.

We are not all mediocres like you around here with a mental and psychological ceiling above your head, placed by none other than your inferiority-complexed, esteem-battered and under-achieving self.

I have given my advice, give yours and move on.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by FieldMarshall06(m): 2:24pm On Jul 21, 2020
LaboPolitics:

I don't give a damn what a mor0nic scamp like you thinks. It changes nothing. I have nothing to prove to you buddy.

We are not all mediocres like you around here with a mental and psychological ceiling above your head, placed by none other than your inferiority-complexed, esteem-battered and under-achieving self.

I have given my advice, give yours and move on.

Mm

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jul 21, 2020
In the same UNN, ask about political science department. The scars of undergraduate years made me dread MSc in any southern university.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by hisgrace090: 3:48pm On Jul 21, 2020
We're just too heartless in this part of the world not denying few good one's.
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by iyapont: 4:23pm On Jul 21, 2020
when we say the South West University is d best,u people wud be spewing trash,now see it
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by LegendAnselm: 5:57pm On Jul 21, 2020
Jombojombo:
Emperor Dr. Jude Okechukwu Chukwu grin
haha i laugh it hard. That means he is gods to them. Okechuchukwu chukwu
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by LegendAnselm: 6:02pm On Jul 21, 2020
FieldMarshall06:

Hmm, you have 2 doctorates , you must think we are stupid here.
imagine 2 doctorate with that kind of grammer. Shift make i faint
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by LegendAnselm: 6:05pm On Jul 21, 2020
laboidiotPolitics:
My advise to post-graduate students in Nigerian Universities- Once you get your admission, try to find out the kind of person your supervisor is. Is he/she approachable? Are his/her students doing well during Seminar defense, Thesis proposal/defense? Is he or she always around or gallivanting around the world in the guise of attending conference or another and yet won't allow you get an Assistant supervisor to help you while away?

2 doctorate with this grammertical error. May be u stoled them
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jul 21, 2020
iyapont:
when we say the South West University is d best,u people wud be spewing trash,now see it

Tell them..

All yeastern uni are not worth it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Seerade029: 6:16pm On Jul 21, 2020
iyapont:

It's every school bro.

I can never forget OAU in my life

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by kahal29: 6:16pm On Jul 21, 2020
What you have said here is nothing but the truth. Jude is a sadist na Baba God save me from his hand btw 2007 _ 2009 that I did my M.Sc in UNN

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by iyapont: 9:06pm On Jul 21, 2020
Seerade029:

It's every school bro.

I can never forget OAU in my life
but shouldn't be coming from d almighty best University in Nigeria as they do claim naaa

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Okwyjesus(m): 9:11pm On Jul 21, 2020
NgeneUkwuneee:
Mr. John Ibeh dropped his comment on this article. We have decided to publish it to give it more exposure.

I want to share a personal experience with you while doing my postgraduate programme (MSC) in Economics Department at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka. We were three friends while in my undergraduate, graduated, and finished our Youth Service Corp in 2016. We decided to enroll for our master’s immediately. I enrolled in the UNN Economics Department, my friend, Kunle enrolled in Unilag, while Kingsley enrolled in University of Ibadan.
Notice, three of us graduated with cumulative GP of above 4.0 and can boast of being above average student. The three of us gained admission in the 2017 academic calendar to our respective choice universities to do our Master programme in economics. However, we are not all truly fortunate, fate and different circumstances separated us.
Kunle finished his MSc in Economics within one year in Unilag, by end of 2018, he has finished his thesis and by early 2019 has received his certificate of MSc. Kingsley equally finished his MSc in 2018 and by mid-2019, his certificate was ready.

In my experience, I wrote the UNN postgraduate exam and I scored 76 and was admitted. I accepted the offer by paying my acceptance fee, but little did I know I made my worst mistake in academics when I accepted the offer. It took the Department of Economics six months to start lectures after other departments have started receiving lecture.
I taught that I have seen it all, little did I know that there are Lecturers that see themselves as gods that no one questions their actions or inactions. One of such lecturers is the PG coordinator who later became the HOD of the department. In my entire life, I have never seen anyone so arrogant, mannerless, and so unprofessional. He is rude, cruel, and not qualified to be in academic not to talk of being a PG coordinator or even HOD where things are normal without godfatherism.

Our issue started when one of the students reported the Department to PG school about the inconsistency of the Lecturers and lackadaisical attitude towards lecture timetable. He came to class and chase the guy that reported the department to the PG school out of exam hall, shouting and screaming that not even the university authority can question him. He was literariy mad that if you are not emotionally strong you will forget all you have read before the exam.

What amazed me is that the said Dr chased the guy out of the exam hall simply because he wrote a letter to PG school complaining of the lecturers not keeping to time table and fixing lectures randomly, yet, nothing was done by the university to remedy the situation after several complaints. THE GUY LOST HIS ADMISSION AND THE FEES HE HAS ALREADY PAID SIMPLY BECAUSE HE COMPLAINED.

The Economic Department in UNN is so disjointed, disorganized, and lack process worse than the poorest state university in Nigeria. All these issues happened when Dr is the PG coordinator and the worst happened in 2019 when he was made the HOD of the Department.

Prior to him being the HOD, the department postgraduate programme was crawling and shaking but when he was appointed the HOD by his cronies (fellow perpetrators) the worst happened. Everything in the department was halted and put on a standstill. As at the time of making this post not even a single person has presented their thesis proposal in my set.

What blew my mind that finally prompt me to make this information public as a warning to those that are considering UNN economic department for their postgraduate is my investigation into the 2016 postgraduate academic set – those before us. My investigation reveals that;

1. Immediately after the Dr became the HOD, the department only had two MSc Seminer proposal and nobody have graduated or finished their MSc under the watch of Dr. Jude including his supervisee.

2. Only one of all the supervisees under him in 2015 (FIVE YEARS OF DOING MASTER) set have proposed and graduated and NONE of his supervisee in 2016 (FOUR YEARS OF DOING MASTERS) set have proposed and graduated. What shocked me is that my investigation into the academic records of his supervisee in both 2015 and 2016 set revealed that majority of his supervisee are above average and ideally should have finished their thesis. In particular, he is the only person who NONE of his supervisee have graduated or finished his/her thesis from 2015 and 2016 set despite the academic record of the supervisees showing they are above average.

3. I discovered that those students who have graduated from the department are those whose supervisors are willing to tussle it out with him and ensure their supervisee is released but that changed anyway since he became the ALMIGHTY HOD.

4. I discovered that Dr made a covenant that he will frustrate all his supervisees and all PG students because he was delayed by his own supervisor while he was doing his Ph.D. programmes.

5. I discovered that it would take the fastest student with a good supervisor (from 2017 academic calendar) till the end of 2021 (5 years) to finish their MSc in UNN going by the trend of things. I discovered also that it will eventually take some till 2024 (8 years) to finish their MSc in UNN especially those he is supervising.

6. For me, I have enrolled for another MSc in the University of Lagos (UNILAG) since 2020 and am confident I will obtain my MSc before the fastest person in UNN 2017 set. WHAT AN ACADEMIC SHAME. I believe ASUU and the PG school should be ashamed of themselves because these are part of the things they should be checkmating to protect the students and their image.

WHY YOU WILL BE FOOLISH TO GO AND ENROLL FOR MASTER’S IN ECONOMICS DEPARTMENT AT UNN FOR 2020/2021 ACADEMIC SESSION.

a. I interviewed 20 persons doing their MSc currently at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) from both the 2016 and 2017 academic sessions and all the 20 persons regretted enrolling for their MSc in UNN.

b. The said Dr is still the HOD and PG coordinator even after one year of being appointed as the HOD he is still the PG coordinator (both HOD and PG coordinator you can go and verify).

c. The worst that can happen to you is that he is assigned to be your supervisor. If you find yourself in such a position, you will be a FOOL after this warning to go ahead and accept the offer. You will have yourself to blame.

d. More than 50 percent of the lecturers at UNN are not dedicated to their work and don’t respect time. They are simply not cultured at all and feel like they are gods. Yes, few of them are good and sound but they are simply not CULTURED.

e. The management of PG school in UNN doesn’t care about student complaints. In fact, the management is aware of what is happening in UNN and has failed to do anything about it. We have recordings and videos of where the Dr is ranting and threatening students with brimstone and fire and the management failed to act.

f. UNN Economics department is not in any way better than those other fast universities like UNILAG, University of Ibadan, ABU, UNIBEN, UNIPORT, among others. They are only living in past glory. If you doubt any information here go and investigate the information released here, I challenge the authority to investigate the claims in this article.

I also challenge CBN not to continue using the Economics department UNN as an extension for their postgraduate Economics programmes. They can use other universities in the East. I challenge the Central Bank of Nigeria to investigate the issue also.

https://www.operanewsapp.com/ng/en/share/detail?news_id=22a8090cf50ce90039104ad967cdd9c5&news_entry_id=22eaba24200720en_ng&open_type=transcoded&request_id=HOME_PAGE_254b4c42&from=h5station&sharesource=whats_app

Come to UNIPORT Mgt Faculty. l won't say more than than.
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by edoairways: 9:27pm On Jul 21, 2020
celeiyke:
He hid the author's name for reason best known to him
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by edoairways: 9:28pm On Jul 21, 2020
Okwyjesus:

Come to UNIPORT Mgt Faculty. l won't say more than than.
Most of the acclaimed prestigious universities are guilty of what op said

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Equip Hospitals, End Medical Tourism / BREAKING: I Once Barred Tinubu From Moving Cocaines To Nigeria–Atiku / If This Information Is True.....then The Week Will Be Interesting.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.