Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,311 members, 7,819,059 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:45 AM

Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme (5429 Views)

Why Peter Obi Was Admitted To UNN With Pass In English And Math (pic) / DSS, Army Intimidated Voters, INEC Officials – US Department Of State / Governor El-Rufa Opens Mudassir & Brothers Department Store In Kaduna (photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by edoairways: 9:30pm On Jul 21, 2020
marriagebyigbo:

Tell them..

All yeastern uni are not worth it
OAU isn't better either

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by edoairways: 9:31pm On Jul 21, 2020
LaboPolitics:
My advise to post-graduate students in Nigerian Universities- Once you get your admission, try to find out the kind of person your supervisor is. Is he/she approachable? Are his/her students doing well during Seminar defense, Thesis proposal/defense? Is he or she always around or gallivanting around the world in the guise of attending conference or another and yet won't allow you get an Assistant supervisor to help you while away?

If the supervisor fails in any of the questions above. Please RUN. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON TUITION. Find another school for your PGD, M.Sc and PhD studies.

I have two Doctorates and I speak from experience.

You are correct.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by baralatie(m): 9:58pm On Jul 21, 2020
edoairways:
OAU isn't better either
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by LaboPolitics: 9:20am On Jul 22, 2020
LegendAnselm:
2 doctorate with this grammertical error. May be u stoled them

'doctorates'.... 'grammatical'..... 'you'.... 'stole'. grin

You are not just funny, you are also pitiable. Go back and read again, this time slowly. grin

Most of you herein are intellectual imps. Your low self-esteem will always be an albatross to your personal growth and development. Instead of looking for ways to better yourselves, you are angry the next person has titles and accolades to his name. Tufia!

You read that I have two doctorates, instead of challenging yourself to better your fortunes, you cry and beat yourself up because someone has revealed his status which is better than the lifelong goals you have set for your esteem-battered self.

Ndigbo call it 'I bu ogbenye, buru amusu' i.e 'being poor and also being an evil witch'. Double wahala for your dead body.

Una fit poison person due to envy and jealousy. Once again, you sadistic mediocres should be pitied. grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by LaboPolitics: 9:29am On Jul 22, 2020
LegendAnselm:
haha i laugh it hard. That means he is gods to them. Okechuchukwu chukwu

It is very glaring to the blind and loud to the deaf you have never stepped into the four walls of a proper classroom. Yet you pretend to be a self-appointed 'grammar police'? grin

O' boy you are finished. grin

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by LaboPolitics: 10:05am On Jul 22, 2020
edoairways:

OAU isn't better either

Most times post-graduate success can be usually supervisor-dependent.
A humane supervisor will go any length for his or her student to succeed.

After my first doctorate degree which I did abroad, I presented an extract of my thesis during a professional conference in Nigeria. After the presentation, I met my former lecturer at undergraduate level at that conference during tea break.

She was really keen on my thesis extract presentation and offered that we work together and develop it further. That was where my journey to my second doctorate started. I told her 'Prof Ma, if you won't supervise me, I'm not applying for postgraduate studies in any local university'. She assured me, that I should go ahead and apply, she was a respected senior faculty member and I knew she would help see it through since I had all the pre-requisites.

Even after applying and passing the interview, my admission letter came out with a different supervisor in another specialty within the same department, it was a glaring mistake but she encouraged me to fill a 'change of supervisor' form and took it herself to the other lecturer for signature and 'release of student'.

That's a supervisor that will climb mountains for her students and they are very rare. Every student wants them but not all can have them. You can only find one per faculty. In some faculties, you'll find none.

At post-graduate level, you can even start discussing with a potential supervisor before applying for PG studies. It is done all over the world. I did it before gaining my foreign and local doctorate certifications.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by edoairways: 10:11am On Jul 22, 2020
LaboPolitics:

Most times post-graduate success can be usually supervisor-dependent.
A humane supervisor will go any length for his or her student to succeed.

After my first doctorate degree which I did abroad, I presented an extract of my thesis during a professional conference in Nigeria. After the presentation, I met my former lecturer at undergraduate level at that conference during tea break.

She was really keen on my thesis extract presentation and offered that we work together and develop it further. That was where my journey to my second doctorate started. I told her 'Prof Ma, if you won't supervise me, I'm not applying for postgraduate studies in any local university'. She assured me, that I should go ahead and apply, she was a respected senior faculty member and I knew she would help see it through since I had all the pre-requisites.

Even after applying and passing the interview, my admission letter came out with a different supervisor in another specialty within the same department, it was a glaring mistake but she encouraged me to fill a 'change of supervisor' form and took it her herself to the other lecturer for signature and 'release of student'.

That's a supervisor that will climb mountains for her students and they are very rare. Every student wants them but not all can have them. You can only find one per faculty. In some faculties, you'll find none.

At post-graduate level, you can even start discussing with a potential supervisor before applying for PG studies. It is done all over the world. I did it before gaining my foreign and local doctorate certifications.
You were lucky however that is not the case for others
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by PHOTSEE(m): 11:28am On Jul 22, 2020
Not cool
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Lovelive: 12:37pm On Jul 22, 2020
Did you conduct your personal investigation bf typing this irresponsible Words ("FAKE NEWS"wink?

celeiyke:
An article with no name of author is nothing but a FAKE NEWS
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Lovelive: 12:38pm On Jul 22, 2020
Yorubasarecurse:
You need to attach his photos for everyone to see this devil in human skin.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Lovelive: 12:38pm On Jul 22, 2020
festacman:
If you are a LION and doesn't feel ASHAMED after reading this, something is wrong with your conscience. Sad narratives from a university that has fallen in values. Really sad.

The complainant should make CBN, NUC and UNN Alumni aware of these facts. Please don't just walk or rather away to UNILAG and allow the evil in UNN to continue.
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by HeavenlyHolines(m): 12:54pm On Jul 22, 2020
My dear as long as education is concern at any level,what we are doing is child play. I can tell you with facts. I also finished from Economics department (masters) from the university of Lagos and I can tell you that they have their own issues. During my masters days,I was shocked to see postgraduate students cramming to pass exam. I was I thought we were suppose to be doing research. We re too concern our grade rather than knowledge and that's why a lecturer can boast that he can fail the whole class and nothing will happen. In many countries now, examinations is optional. The Nigeria universities prepare us as job seekers and not as job creators. Professors and other appointment in universities are political. 90% of our lectures are not suppose to be teaching and that's why many of them can't engage in research of even malaria not to talk of corona virus. They can quote theories but applications zero. Some are there because they know someone or maybe based on godfather recommendations. By God's grace, I live outside and secondary schools are doing Java but Uniport is still doing FORTRAN. The best is to change the curriculum. Many courses like anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, microbiology etc are becoming useless because they can fit in to the Nigeria system or industry. The issue is total overhauling of the education both the system, teaching, lecturers etc.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by celeiyke: 1:59pm On Jul 22, 2020
Lovelive:
Did you conduct your personal investigation bf typing this irresponsible Words ("FAKE NEWS"wink?

I am a UNN product and I dare the author to publish his name if he is sure. You can't publish lies and not have the honour to publish your name alongside the garbage
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Jombojombo(m): 9:51pm On Jul 22, 2020
celeiyke:

I am a UNN product and I dare the author to publish his name if he is sure. You can't publish lies and not have the honour to publish your name alongside the garbage

You're not intelligent for asking the author to put his name

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by celeiyke: 7:37am On Jul 23, 2020
Jombojombo:

You're not intelligent for asking the author to put his name

You are a clown
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Anyiamaka: 8:23am On Jul 23, 2020
Fvck the idiot who is the hod n PG coordinator
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by NgeneUkwuneee: 5:39am On Jul 31, 2020
Thanks to social media. The man in question here, Dr. Jude Chukwu has now been removed as the Head of the Department.

To God be the glory!

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Nguru55: 8:14am On Jul 31, 2020
What the Op said is nothing compared to uniben csc dept. Many destinies are being truncated there.
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Charleys: 8:27am On Jul 31, 2020
HeavenlyHolines:
My dear as long as education is concern at any level,what we are doing is child play. I can tell you with facts. I also finished from Economics department (masters) from the university of Lagos and I can tell you that they have their own issues. During my masters days,I was shocked to see postgraduate students cramming to pass exam. I was I thought we were suppose to be doing research. We re too concern our grade rather than knowledge and that's why a lecturer can boast that he can fail the whole class and nothing will happen. In many countries now, examinations is optional. The Nigeria universities prepare us as job seekers and not as job creators. Professors and other appointment in universities are political. 90% of our lectures are not suppose to be teaching and that's why many of them can't engage in research of even malaria not to talk of corona virus. They can quote theories but applications zero. Some are there because they know someone or maybe based on godfather recommendations. By God's grace, I live outside and secondary schools are doing Java but Uniport is still doing FORTRAN. The best is to change the curriculum. Many courses like anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, microbiology etc are becoming useless because they can fit in to the Nigeria system or industry. The issue is total overhauling of the education both the system, teaching, lecturers etc.

That FORTRAN got me grin

There was a time they were even teaching GW basic too
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Charleys: 8:29am On Jul 31, 2020
celeiyke:

His name is Jude Okechukwu Chukwu how hard is that?

I didn't put Dr. because I don't recognize him as a doctor

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Emyzoloye5(m): 9:02am On Jul 31, 2020
most Nigerian lecturers are clueless, unprofessional, lazy and wicked ....they derive pressure from the miseries of students .the most painful part is dat most of them are illiterates with PHD

my Current HOD in school professor Eze is a Stark illiterate �..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by sreamsense: 11:18am On Jul 31, 2020
Almost all the universities in Nigeria are the same, they are all recruiters of unemployable youths in this country. If possible we need to close all our institutions and rebuild foundation for better tomorrow, but to be candid, ASUU won't even allow government to do that
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jul 31, 2020
How do I lodge similar complaints to the PG school? How did you get their attention? Did you send an email or went in person? I seriously need to get their attention but wanna remain anonymous while at that.

I'm a Master's student here in Microbiology, UNN (2017/18 set). The set before mine haven't even finalized their defense yet, imagine, 4 years of doing MSc and you can't boast of a certificate.

Funny thing is, the department takes undergrad seriously, they've graduated 3 undergrad set since my admission (undergrad results get ready in a month despite their very large numbers, usually 150 and beyond) but with PG students, they don't care one bit. I finished my coursework and exams since July last year, till now, I haven't seen a single result (NB: we're less than 50 in my set).

More painful is that my program is under sponsorship and my sponsor has backed out, saying he completed his own MSc in a year and can't see why I should be doing a Master's for three years blah blah...

The whole thing is frustrating! I regret picking UNN for my PG!

Cc: NgeneUkwuneee

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by celeiyke: 4:50pm On Jul 31, 2020
Charleys:

His name is Jude Okechukwu Chukwu how hard is that?

I didn't put Dr. because I don't recognize him as a doctor

You have an assimilation issue. The writer should publish his name, you are calling a lecturer's name
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Beress(m): 8:04pm On Jul 31, 2020
celeiyke:

You have an assimilation issue. The writer should publish his name, you are calling a lecturer's name

I guess u are related to Jude Chukwu. Sorry for the loss. If he is given the opportunity to be Head again he should amend his ways.

Ewu

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by PHIPEX(m): 8:14pm On Jul 31, 2020
Everyone that passed through that dept for the past 15years will know Jude, am surprised he is now the HOD. Quite brilliant but very erratic and temperamental.

@OP, what you just described is same across most public U universities in Nigeria. You can as well find out the stories of MSC Finance and Economics in Unilag. It's sad some Lecturers turn themselves to demigod. I know people that abandoned their programs in both UNN and Unilag.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Anyiamaka: 8:22pm On Jul 31, 2020
Emyzoloye5:
most Nigerian lecturers are clueless, unprofessional, lazy and wicked ....they derive pressure from the miseries of students .the most painful part is dat most of them are illiterates with PHD

my Current HOD in school professor Eze is a Stark illiterate �..

Tell us his name in full, his department and school
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Emyzoloye5(m): 8:37pm On Jul 31, 2020
Anyiamaka:

Tell us his name in full, his department and school

lemme graduate first
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by edoairways: 9:03pm On Jul 31, 2020
celeiyke:

That doesn't change the fact that the author's assertion are false. UNN accounting department is even worst of

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by edoairways: 9:04pm On Jul 31, 2020
PHIPEX:
Everyone that passed through that dept for the past 15years will know Jude, am surprised he is now the HOD. Quite brilliant but very erratic and temperamental.

@OP, what you just described is same across most public U universities in Nigeria. You can as well find out the stories of MSC Finance and Economics in Unilag. It's sad some Lecturers turn themselves to demigod. I know people that abandoned their programs in both UNN and Unilag.
What of UI?

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Charleys: 9:31pm On Jul 31, 2020
celeiyke:

Read the thread again, it seems you are the one finding it hard to comprehend
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by celeiyke: 12:37am On Aug 01, 2020
edoairways:

That doesn't change the fact that the author's assertion are false. UNN accounting department is even worst of

Quite funny. How

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jonathan Flags Off Pdp Online Registration ! / Dino Melaye Officially Unveiled As Gold Circle Condom Ambassador(pics) / APGA Appeal Panel Upholds Disqualification Of Soludo And Five Others In Anambra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.