Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,656 members, 7,823,853 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:33 PM

Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme (5445 Views)

Why Peter Obi Was Admitted To UNN With Pass In English And Math (pic) / DSS, Army Intimidated Voters, INEC Officials – US Department Of State / Governor El-Rufa Opens Mudassir & Brothers Department Store In Kaduna (photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by celeiyke: 12:38am On Aug 01, 2020
Beress:

I guess u are related to Jude Chukwu. Sorry for the loss. If he is given the opportunity to be Head again he should amend his ways.

Ewu

Aturu
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by edoairways: 1:37am On Aug 01, 2020
celeiyke:

Quite funny. How
I have a friend who complained bitterly about that school

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by PoliticallyInco: 1:54am On Aug 01, 2020
Do not let some of these lecturers be your supervisor in Unilag. You are dead. They believe that to hide their ignorance they have to distract you by being a living devil. They dont know the course. Can barely teach anything. But they will make sure you don't focus on their level of ignorance by ensuring they make life a living hell for students. Then they lie that they are only being strict.

Some of them are thieves. They will make sure you publish 10 papers in their names before they allow you go as a Masters Student. Plagiarism and stealing someone's time and effort. They are thieves of intellectual property.In the Faculty of science as an undergraduate who latter became a post graduate student, I can list sadistic lecturers like these that should be made to pass a mental examination to check their mental state. They are insance and psychotic. Yet these mental health patients are allowed to lecture and paid by tax payers.

These terrible terrible lecturers will make sure they hide their ignorance of the discipline by setting silly deadlines. Then out of the blues, deduct marks from many people in the continuous assessment. Then during exams there is mass failure. No one knows how they mark. The same post graduate course a professor (Professor Bayo Otitoloju) taught so well that failure rate was less than a few percents. They took this course from him and gave to a particular hiddeous looking woman. The first time she handled a Post Graduate Course, what did she do? She caused comotion by mass failing students to prove that she is tough. You try to damage people's futures to prove you are tough? A lot of people who wanted to use that MSc to pursue a PhD couldn't. There are lecturers like these who are terrorists albeit lazy and indolent. They never seem to understand that they are about 90% the problem. As a lecturer if you can't impart knoweledge and stimulate learning, then resign. But when you get a job because your father is this and your husband is that. What else do we expect? Someone who comes to class to boast of her car and driver. Etc.

Who checks if these lecturers can even lecture? Who checks their mental and psychological state? Who checks if they are skilled at imparting knowledge and information? Who checks their excesses? Mr and Mrs Lecturer in Nigeria, can you do these stupid, evil and vile things in a School in the UK or US? You know you will be thrown out the next day. So you see, the problem is you are being wicked because there are no consequences.

The Nigerian university system has created monsters as lecturers. And the system is a very terrible one. A collection of sadists will never produce anything good. It is why the system itself is rotten. Filled with Sadists,run by sadists, operated by sadists.

Consider the university as a factory. Those operating the factory are sad, disgruntled, entitled and demonic. Hell bent on damaging the product on the inside but coating it with fine colours on the outside. The products produced are totally substandard because many of the workers there are not even qualified to be gatemen not to talk of working to produce any thing.

Such is the Nigerian Education System.

5 Likes

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by celeiyke: 11:41am On Aug 01, 2020
edoairways:

I have a friend who complained bitterly about that school

Ur friend complained and you believed without finding out. If course no gree ur friend pass, he go blame am on d school. Inserious people everywhere
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by edoairways: 1:24pm On Aug 01, 2020
celeiyke:

Ur friend complained and you believed without finding out. If course no gree ur friend pass, he go blame am on d school. Inserious people everywhere
Oga I applied to that school infact I was admitted in their postgraduate program,so I know what am saying

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by celeiyke: 2:07pm On Aug 01, 2020
edoairways:

Oga I applied to that school infact I was admitted in their postgraduate program,so I know what am saying

From ur friend to you. Oga you guys should get serious abeg
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by ogorwyne(f): 2:11pm On Aug 01, 2020
celeiyke:
An article with no name of author is nothing but a FAKE NEWS
Extremely legit news. I wonder what you are trying to cover up. The person that wrote this is in my set.

He didn't even last a year as HOD. I pity my people when he dey supervise. Na Dem go hear am last last. cheesy
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by NgeneUkwuneee: 3:28pm On Aug 01, 2020
Quinex2:
How do I lodge similar complaints to the PG school? How did you get their attention? Did you send an email or went in person? I seriously need to get their attention but wanna remain anonymous while at that.

I'm a Master's student here in Microbiology, UNN (2017/18 set). The set before mine haven't even finalized their defense yet, imagine, 4 years of doing MSc and you can't boast of a certificate.

Funny thing is, the department takes undergrad seriously, they've graduated 3 undergrad set since my admission (undergrad results get ready in a month despite their very large numbers, usually 150 and beyond) but with PG students, they don't care one bit. I finished my coursework and exams since July last year, till now, I haven't seen a single result (NB: we're less than 50 in my set).

More painful is that my program is under sponsorship and my sponsor has backed out, saying he completed his own MSc in a year and can't see why I should be doing a Master's for three years blah blah...

The whole thing is frustrating! I regret picking UNN for my PG!

Cc: NgeneUkwuneee

Just write an anonymous letter and make sure it gets to the VC and Dean of ur PG school and other key University functionaries. Make sure u state all evidence clearly even when being anonymous
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by edoairways: 3:48pm On Aug 01, 2020
celeiyke:

From ur friend to you. Oga you guys should get serious abeg
Oga that is the truth. If you don't believe that is your problem. This incident occurred in 2016

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Naijabad: 3:54pm On Aug 01, 2020
Try Msc finance in UNILAG.

You will weep.
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by edoairways: 4:03pm On Aug 01, 2020
PoliticallyInco:
Do not let Dr Tope Shogbamu of Ecotoxicology be your supervisor in Unilag. She will make sure you publish 10 papers in her name before she allows you go. In the Faculty of science as an undergraduate who latter became a post graduate student, I can list sadistic lecturers like these that should even pass a mental examination. Yet these are allowed to lecture and paid by tax payers.

She makes sure she hides her ignorance of the discipline by setting silly deadlines. Then she out of annoyance deducts marks from many people in the continuous assessment. Then during exams there is failure. The same course a professor taught so well that failure rate was less than a few percents. There are lecturers like these who are terrorists albeit lazy and indolent. They never seem to understand that they are about 90% the problem. As a lecturer if you can't impart knoweledge and stimulate learning, then resign. But when you get a job because your father is this and your husband is that. What else do we expect? Someone who comes to class to boast of her car and driver. Etc.

The Nigerian university system has created monsters as lecturers. And the system is a very terrible one. A collection of sadists will never produce anything good. It is why the system itself is rotten. Filled with Sadists,run by sadists, operated by sadists.
These incident are perculiar to most public universities. Those universities share similar traits ranging from witch-hunt to failing their students. Even when you report to school authorities, such complains may not be taken serious, that is because they are birds of the same feather. I explained to one dude how my friend and myself share similar thing at UNN but the guy is so bind by his obsession for his school. I abandoned the program because it wasn't heading anyway. To digress a bit, I thought Unilag was fast in their postgraduate program?

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Nobody: 7:23pm On Aug 01, 2020
NgeneUkwuneee:

Just write an anonymous letter and make sure it gets to the VC and Dean of ur PG school and other key University functionaries. Make sure u state all evidence clearly even when being anonymous
Thanks. I will take the necessary steps immediately school resumes.
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by maseno: 12:57pm On Aug 17, 2020
My dear Faculty Members! It is often said that "evil thrives in a society when the good people in such a society say or do nothing". It is partly based on this popular quote that I have decided to say some few things concerning this write-up from a purported former student. Permit me to begin by saying that I am somewhat disappointed by the initial comments made by some academics on this platform. As academics, we should not be persuaded based on emotions but based on sound reasons. As intellectuals, we should scrutinize write-ups with a view to ascertaining their veracity; we should seek truth and cherish truth. Having said the foregoing, let me say that the fact that an institution is painted in lurid colours by a disgruntled or some disgruntled former students does not diminish the credibility of the institution. Incidentally, the first generation universities that were mentioned in the write-up(University of Ibadan, University of Lagos and Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria) had at one time or the other been painted "black" and discredited by some disgruntled former students. It is not possible for all the students that enter or pass through a university to shower praises on the university. I did my MSc and PhD at University of Ibadan(in Economics Department). Those of us that were successful have often showered encomiums on the Department and the University. But many of those that were not successful have often vilified the Department and the University. Let me say that, in general, the write-up is not even tangential to the truth rather it is parallel to the truth. The write-up claimed that there are many lecturers in Economics Department of UNN that are not good but are evil yet he only mentioned the name Jude for "crucifixion". This is very unfair to put it mildly. He could not even write the full name of somebody he claimed has been the Postgraduate Co-ordinator and the current Head of the Department he was admitted in about three years ago. This is an eloquent manifestation that he was not a serious student. For record purposes, the full name of the current Head of Economics Department, UNN is Dr. Jude Okechukwu Chukwu. He is an erudite scholar, he is an astute administrator, he is an indefatigable worker in the temple of knowledge and he is an epitome of humility. He is a Reader yet he humbles himself. He has served the Department with matchless diligence and sagacity. Also, he is a moral giant and an unrepentant crusader of sound morality and strict adherence to rules and regulations in the work place. He is highly principled and he holds his principle tenaciously. It was Thomas Jefferson(a former American President) that stated: "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock". Those that are morally bankrupt and always want to "cut corners" will surely hate him. Unfortunately, we are in a world of "moral liliputians". It is not true that Dr. Jude Okechukwu Chukwu has been the Departmental Postgraduate Co-ordinator. He was the Seminar Co-ordinator and few days after he became HOD on 1st August, 2019, he left the position and assigned it to Dr. Innocent Ifelunini. It should be noted that Dr. Chukwu became Head of Economics Department, UNN on 1st August, 2019(just about 7 months before the COVID-19 lock-down). How then could he have caused all the purported "damages" within this short period? As another pointer to the mischievous nature and falsity of the write-up, it is stated in it that "even after one year of being appointed HOD, he is still the PG Co-ordinator". This is blatant falsehood! As shown earlier, it is not up to one year that he became the HOD and he was never the PG Co-ordinator within the past nine(9) years. The write-up further claimed that when he was appointed the HOD by his cronies(fellow perpetrators), the worst happened. Could this be true? Was the headship appointment given by his "cronies(follow perpetrators)"? Was it not the VC that gave the appointment? Or is the VC among his "cronies"("perpetrators"wink? As academics, we should always do critical thinking otherwise the higher degrees we claim to possess may be considered as useless. It was Chinua Achebe(of the blessed and eternal memory) that once stated that "if the intellectual fails to live by his intellect, he ceases to have relevance". The write-up also claims that Dr. Chukwu "made a covenant that he will frustrate all his Postgraduate supervises and all PG students because he was delayed by his own supervisor while he was doing his PhD programme. This is evidently another blatant lie. The seasoned academic that supervised Dr. Chukwu's PhD thesis is Prof. Felix E. Onah. Dr. Chukwu has maintained an excellent working relationship and rapport with his thesis supervisor. The supervisor did not even delay him(Dr. Chukwu) rather the delay was as a result of his unparalled dedication to his duties in the Department as well as his great passion for excellence; he never wanted to sacrifice excellence on the alter of speed. To his credit, at least two papers from his PhD thesis were published in high impact Thomson Reuters journals(that also appeared in Quartile 1 of Scimago Journal Rank class). To the best of my knowledge, Dr. Chukwu has assisted many PG students professionally; indeed, he has mentored many PG students(i.e., those that showed promise for scholarship). Let me point out here that the write-up did not just vilify Economics Department but the entire University. The write-up claimed, among other things, that "more than 50% of lecturers at UNN are not dedicated to their work ..." Is this true? If we agree that it is true, then we are saying that we don't have a university. I can go on and on showing that the write-up is full of lies but I have to apply discretion which is said to be the better part of valour. Let me advise us not to be too quick to side disgruntled students against our colleagues. Academics in Nigeria, in general, are working very hard in spite of their poor pay and overall welfare condition. It is sad to note that a full professor in Nigeria earns less than $1,000 per month while his counterpart in many sane societies earn more than $6,000 per month. Despite the poor pay and welfare, we are always given "excess work load" particularly in Departments like Economics. Concerning the delay in graduating Postgraduate students in UNN, some colleagues have already stated some of the factors responsible for this. The factors include giving admission in batches without clear standards, admitting many weak students(we often disregard results of screening tests), poor welfare and motivation, excess workload, etc. Some people say that some universities like University of Ibadan and University of Lagos do Master's degree programme in one year. This is not true. The minimum duration for a Master's degree programme( full-time) is 18 months which usually stretch to at least 2 years. University of Ibadan apparently has the most organised Postgraduate programmes but you cannot finish a Master's degree programme there now in less than two years. We should not compare UNN with University of Ibadan. University of Ibadan is by far more organised. For instance, University of Ibadan usually does everything humanly possible to admit only the best candidates for its Postgraduate programmes. In Economics Department at Ibadan, only graduates with First Class and Second Class Upper division are considered for admission and they go through highly competitive selection test; here, we often disregard our screening test and accept weak students. At Ibadan, many departments are top- heavy in terms of academic staffing; here, many of our departments are bottom-heavy. Given that big universities are said to be Postgraduate universities(with many Postgraduate students) and that Postgraduate studies are supposed to be handled by very senior academics(full Professors or at least Readers), it is expected that such big universities should have more of very senior academics. In Economics Department, University of Ibadan, there are at least 10 resident Full Professors and many Readers; but in Economics Department, UNN, there are only 2 resident Full Professors and 2 Readers. At University of Ibadan, academic staff are better motivated than academic staff in UNN. For example, a confirmed academic staff at Ibadan is entitled to sponsorship to attend at least one international conference in foreign country in every two years; but in UNN, conference sponsorship is not clearly defined. In fact, staff welfare at the University of Ibadan is evidently better. Various theories of motivation show clearly that the productivity of workers that are well motivated will be significantly higher than the productivity of workers that are not well motivated. It is often said that "to whom much is given, much is expected". In the same vein, to whom little is given, little should be expected". I dare to say that if we align with any disgruntled student to malign Dr. Jude O. Chukwu, that will be a clear example of demotivation and it will be a great disservice to humanity. Dr. Chukwu has worked extremely hard in the few months he has been the HOD; he successfully led the Department to get full accreditation from NUC, he successfully graduated undergraduate students despite the serious crisis that he inherited and he optimally managed the crisis. Let me end by saying that the triumph of falsehood over truth is only for a moment; the truth will surely conquer in the end. The Christian scriptures(popularly called the Holy Bible) put it admiringly thus: "The lip of truth shall be established for ever: but a lying tongue is but for a moment". (Prov. 12:19; King James Version). On this note I rest my case. I pray the Almighty God to give us understanding in all thing. Uche M. Ozughalu.
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by maseno: 12:58pm On Aug 17, 2020
Greetings!
My attention has been drawn to an article written by a certain disgruntled former master’s student of Economics, UNN, entitled “Why You Should Not go to UNN Economics Dept. for your MSc Program.” Although we have the right to express our views, it is unfair to make sweeping statements. I will not sit back and allow someone to put a question mark on my degrees because I did BSc and MSc in the said department and institution. I think it makes sense to hear the views of a former student and current staff of the department. I will respond to some of the claims to the best of my knowledge with facts and figures.
During my undergraduate and postgraduate days, seasoned academics taught me, some of whom are still there (Dr. S. I. Madueme, Dr. Jude O. Chukwu, Dr. Uchechukwu M. Uzughalu, Dr. Ukwueze Ezebuilo, Dr. Emmanuel Nwosu, and others). Dr. Jude O. Chukwu supervised my BSc project. It is worth mentioning that I was the second person to submit in the department out of over 200 students. The same Dr. Jude O. Chukwu supervised even the first student to submit. She later emerged as the best graduating student in my set and currently works with KPMG, while I was the second-best in 2010.
As the writer of the article, I started a master’s program in Economics, UNN, immediately after the compulsory one-year national service (NYSC) in 2012, and by June 2014, I had finished. In all, I did my masters for 18 months (It was 12 months if you exclude six months of industrial action). Although some of my mates finished in two years, others completed it in three years. While Prof. C. C. Agu was the HOD during that period, Dr. Jude O. Chukwu was the PG seminar coordinator.
In terms of quality, I hold my head high wherever I go. After my master’s, I was interviewed by the Centre for the Studies of the Economies of Africa (CSEA), a research think tank in Abuja for a post of research associate alongside graduates of the University of Ibadan, University of Benin, foreign Universities, among others. In the end, I was successful with two other UI graduates. I worked for barely three months when UNN offered me an appointment. Competition with graduates from different universities has not stopped. In 2017, I competed for 1 of 25 University of Exeter International Excellence Ph.D. scholarships – a Russell group university. Fortunately, I was the only African awarded. Still, I am working very hard at Exeter to God’s glory.
As per my experience as a staff of the Department of Economics, UNN, Dr. Jude O. Chukwu was still the PG seminar coordinator before I traveled. On a few occasions, I remember that we slept over in the department, getting either M.Sc or Ph.D. seminar stuffs ready to ensure smooth progression. Some colleagues who have worked under him can validate this experience. We made some notable changes to how seminars and workshops were conducted in the department. Prof S. I. Mdueme (the former HOD) can attest to this. Aside from being the PG seminar coordinator, Dr. Jude O. Chukwu oversaw securing accommodation for our guests, including external examiners. That meant going to and from CEC (the university of Nigeria’s guest house). He carried out that task for many years before I was appointed by Prof S. I. Madueme to take over from him.
The assertion that Dr. Chukwu’s supervisor delayed his Ph.D. is incorrect and a misguided vent of aggression. Prof F. E. Onah was practically begging him to complete his Ph.D. However, I am aware of three factors that delayed him. First, data problems. Second, his determination to do rigorous research, which eventually led to his traveling to Brazil. Finally, the excess workload in the university. Many of you can nod your head in agreement because we all experience it.
I will close by submitting that, lots have happened in the department in my absence. For instance, a friend who started his M.Sc in the department the same year with the disappointed writer but had long finished his program told me that he is yet to get his certificate. He complained about a new rule which the PG school made that adds to the bureaucracy. I do not know about it, but I think the process needs to be simplified so that students can graduate in record time.
May I end it here!
Eleanya Nduka
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by maseno: 12:59pm On Aug 17, 2020
ALLEGATIONS/PETITION AGAINST THE HOD, DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS, UNN: A REJOINDER.

It is no longer a thing of surprise or shock to establish that most mischief makers live and thrive in misinformation and lies inorder to actualise or sustain their nefarious ambition. For some days now, the social media has been flooded with write ups by unscrupulous elements solely aimed at defaming the character of the present HOD of economics, UNN in the person of Dr Jude Chukwu. I wish to reiterate once again that the information disclosed in those write ups are not only false, but baseless, fallacious and maliciously intended. A known fact which is not far from the truth is that mischief makers masquerading as concerned students, former msc student and the likes, whose illicit activities were exposed and cut short were the scenes behind these laughable movies which sole aim is to truncate and debilitate the transformation agenda and efforts of the present HOD. I wish to point at this juncture that lam an active insider in the department and fully aware of most events unfolding in the department. Besides, I had my first degree, second and third degree in the department spanning for three dacades from the period I was an undergraduate. My following submissions therefore is a descriptive narrative of the departmental modus operandi as well as efforts at putting the records straight. As a matter of fact, the present HOD has been in the fore- front of entrenching discipline, justice, fairness, accountability and transparency in the department even before his ascendance to the present position. Dr Jude Chukwu is good mannered, a man of justice, high moral values and an epitome of humility. He is also an astute administrator and an erudite scholar with numerous academic excellence. Those who were opportuned to interact with him could attest to his other numerous examplary charisma. In the area of departmental PG seminar coordination, his administration stopped the fees normally charged to PG students for sending out work for external examinations. He also cancelled the elaborate entertainment expenses subjected to PG students during PG seminars. He was able to break and dismantle the departmental cabal that regularly threatens PG students .The cabal is so powerful that PG students are issued with threats to settle the cabal if such students want progress in their PG program. It was indeed a booming oil business for the cabal. I wish to state that I am one of the victims of the cabal which deployed all manner of tactics, which included anonymous bulk SMS threats, to frustrate my PHd programme. It was this present HOD( Dr. Jude Chukwu) who came to my rescue when he was still the PG seminar Chairman. He encouraged and stood by me and frustrated the efforts of the cabal to enable me complete my PHD programme. He also assisted other numerous PG students with similar experiences. On the issue of undergraduate students welfare, he brought sanity in the operations of
the present Nigerian Economics Students Association (NESA) executives by entrenching accountability and transparency. It was no longer business as usual whereby undergraduate students are charged arbitrary levies only to be squandered by the executives in collaboration with some lecturers of the department. The HOD operates an open door policy and is accessible to students. On departmental progress, the administration gave a face-lift to the departmental building, accomplished a successful NUC accreditation in 2019 as well as graduated a significant number of final year students, despite the huge falsification/ alterations of undergraduate results he inherited. On overall academic activities, courses are now allocated based on areas of specialisation, wealth of experience and hierarchy. It is no longer news that project supervisors, course lecturers as well as non academic staff of the department now thread with caution in discharging their duties, bearing in mind that any factual allegation against them will be met with decisive action. I can go on and on to mention his laudable transformations in this short period of his tenure. Against this backdrop, it would be judicious to state that no mischievous element will like to associate with a man with such amiable and superlative qualities. The mischievous elements who engage in nefarious activities and whose source of " oil business" were stopped due to his appointment would leave no stone unturned to fight back. They should be alerted they they are defaming the character of a law abiding citizen of Nigeria.Nevertheless, the holy Bible made it clear" Wise men will gain an honourable reputation but stupid men will only add to their disgrace" (Proverb 3:35). Let us be properly guided in our actions and decisions. Dr Nnaji Chibueze.
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by edoairways: 2:17pm On Aug 17, 2020
NgeneUkwuneee what is your take on the assertion made by maseno? I read a long essay explaining why the article posted by you is false. However, it doesn't mean maseno is totally correct.
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Nobody: 2:23pm On Aug 17, 2020
FieldMarshall06:

Hmm, you have 2 doctorates , you must think we are stupid here.
hahaha lol grin
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Nobody: 2:28pm On Aug 17, 2020
PoliticallyInco:
Do not let someone like Dr. Tope Shogbamu of Ecotoxicology in Faculty of Science be your supervisor in Unilag. You are dead. She believes that to hide her ignorance she has to distract you by being a living devil. She doesn't know the course. Can barely teach anything. But she will make sure you don't focus on her ignorance by ensuring she makes life a living hell for students. Then she lies that she is only being strict.

She will make sure you publish 10 papers in her name before she allows you go as a Masters Student. Plagiarism and stealing someone's time and effort.. In the Faculty of science as an undergraduate who latter became a post graduate student, I can list sadistic lecturers like these that should be made to pass a mental examination to check their mental state. They are insance and psychotic. Yet these mental health patients are allowed to lecture and paid by tax payers.

This terrible terrible woman makes sure she hides her ignorance of the discipline by setting silly deadlines. Then she, out of annoyance, deducts marks from many people in the continuous assessment. Then during exams there is mass failure. No one knows how she marks. The same post graduate course a professor (Professor Bayo Otitoloju) taught so well that failure rate was less than a few percents. They took this course from him and gave to this hiddeous looking woman. The first time she handled a Post Graduate Course, what did she do? She caused comotion by mass failing students to prove that she is tough. There are lecturers like these who are terrorists albeit lazy and indolent. They never seem to understand that they are about 90% the problem. As a lecturer if you can't impart knoweledge and stimulate learning, then resign. But when you get a job because your father is this and your husband is that. What else do we expect? Someone who comes to class to boast of her car and driver. Etc.

Who checks if these lecturers can even lecture? Who checks their mental and psychological state? Who checks if they are skilled at imparting knowledge and information? Who checks their excesses? Mr and Mrs Lecturer in Nigeria, can you do these stupid, evil and vile things in a School in the UK or US? You know you will be thrown out the next day. So you see, the problem is you are being wicked because there are no consequences.

Consider the university as a factory. Those operating the factory are sad, disgruntled, entitled and demonic. Hell bent on damaging the product on the inside but coating it with fine colours on the outside. The products produced are totally substandard because many of the workers there are not even qualified to be gatemen not to talk of working to produce any thing.

Such is the Nigerian Education System.
I love you for this. Such a touching write up.
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by NgeneUkwuneee: 2:46pm On Aug 17, 2020
edoairways:
NgeneUkwuneee what is your take on the assertion made by maseno? I read a long essay explaining why the article posted by you is false. However, it doesn't mean maseno is totally correct.

Looking at the signatries to those article, I think it's really not necessary for me to read.

Dr. Uche Uzughalu is the most unserious Lecturer we have in Economics Department after Dr. Jude. He comes from Enugu and always fixes his class by 4pm most times he end up coming by 6pm or not coming at all. Forgetting that some students used to come all the way from Enugu as well. When students try to complain he will remined them that they're running a full time program and not part time. Such an inhumane and inconsiderate element.

Dr. Nnaji is not a full time Lecturer in the Department, he's on a parallel appointment. He has been friends with Dr. Jude for quite a long while. In fact Dr. Jude actually smuggled him to complete his Ph.D during his reign as the Head. So I'm not surprised that he can put up such an article.

The other Nduka is currently running his Ph.D abroad. He has been out for about three years now. I'm surprised he's commenting on events he know nothing about.

All my above submissions are verifiable.

In summary, the Department has since been run by Dr. Jude Chukwu and Dr. Uche Uzughalu. The other Dr. Nnaji is just like their errand boy.

I challenge them to get just one more other Lecturer from the Department to write a rebuttal to the earlier article.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by NiceCJ(f): 2:22pm On Aug 27, 2020
Please I urgently need UNN postgraduate entrance exam past questions and answers for department of mass communication. Contact me niceharriet@yahoo.com
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by deltateam: 7:18am On Sep 01, 2020
celeiyke:

You are a clown

He is right. How can he publish his name when his certificate is still at stake?

They should investigate further.

He said HOD is doubling as PG coordinator. Does it look okay to you like that?
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by deltateam: 7:23am On Sep 01, 2020
Nguru55:
What the Op said is nothing compared to uniben csc dept. Many destinies are being truncated there.

Yet you decided to keep silent?

Open your own thread immediately. That could be your own contribution to humanity.
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by deltateam: 7:28am On Sep 01, 2020
Quinex2:
How do I lodge similar complaints to the PG school? How did you get their attention? Did you send an email or went in person? I seriously need to get their attention but wanna remain anonymous while at that.

I'm a Master's student here in Microbiology, UNN (2017/18 set). The set before mine haven't even finalized their defense yet, imagine, 4 years of doing MSc and you can't boast of a certificate.

Funny thing is, the department takes undergrad seriously, they've graduated 3 undergrad set since my admission (undergrad results get ready in a month despite their very large numbers, usually 150 and beyond) but with PG students, they don't care one bit. I finished my coursework and exams since July last year, till now, I haven't seen a single result (NB: we're less than 50 in my set).

More painful is that my program is under sponsorship and my sponsor has backed out, saying he completed his own MSc in a year and can't see why I should be doing a Master's for three years blah blah...

The whole thing is frustrating! I regret picking UNN for my PG!

Cc: NgeneUkwuneee

Seriously?

Open thread for public awareness.
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by deltateam: 7:32am On Sep 01, 2020
PHIPEX:
Everyone that passed through that dept for the past 15years will know Jude, am surprised he is now the HOD. Quite brilliant but very erratic and temperamental.

@OP, what you just described is same across most public U universities in Nigeria. You can as well find out the stories of MSC Finance and Economics in Unilag. It's sad some Lecturers turn themselves to demigod. I know people that abandoned their programs in both UNN and Unilag.

Where then is better since everyone can't afford abroad?

Besides someone shared similar fate at Econs department, Unilag. Seems such treatment is faculty related.
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by deltateam: 8:01am On Sep 01, 2020
celeiyke:

Shame dey catch me ontop your matter.

Inserious people indeed.
Re: Why You Should Never Go To UNN Economics Department For Your Msc Programme by Nobody: 5:01pm On Sep 02, 2020
deltateam:

Seriously?

Open thread for public awareness.
I will later today. Thank you

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chief Of Army Staff Vs Chief Of Defence / Nnamdi Kanu's Young Lawyer Arguing His Case Brilliantly In Court (picture) / Can Someone Pls Give Me Yara'dua's Email Addresss?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.